[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I want to play all the main Dragon Quest games what versions

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 9

I want to play all the main Dragon Quest games what versions should I play?
>>
File: DQ Where to start.jpg (4MB, 1550x7472px) Image search: [Google]
DQ Where to start.jpg
4MB, 1550x7472px
>>385295637
>>
>>385295765
Got a higher res of this?
>>
>>385296516
no
>>
>>385295765
>You experience the games as intended by Yuji Horii
By playing remakes instead of the actual games.
>You see how each sequel improves the series
By playing remakes that add improvments from later games.
>You develop nostalgia
By playing modern versions of the games.

Will the idiot who wrote this shit please stand up? If you want to see how the series evolved you'd have to play the actual games. I ain't even gonna mention how drastically different these remakes are and how you cannot at all judge the original game's quality, design or mechanics based on them, oops I just did.
>>
DQ1-3: Android (DQ3: If you want more content with shit music, GBC)
DQ4: Android (Thank the fucking localizers for removing the fucking party chat in the DS remake. Fucking bullshit.)
>>
File: 1220923456887.jpg (51KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
1220923456887.jpg
51KB, 300x300px
>>385295765

I really need to update that image. But nice to see someone else posting it.

>>385297131

Yuji Horii worked on all the remakes, dummy. Games like Dragon Quest IV-VI on DS got made specifically because Yuji Horii wanted to add new stuff like party chat and new story to those games. Source, his interview in Nintendo Power. Now, the fact that the localization ruined them is not his fault.
>>
>>385297997
>Yuji Horii worked on all the remakes, dummy.
That's nice, but doesn't at all address the main point I made.
You don't. This is a lie. Because you're experiencing the improvements out of order and never experience the original mechanics and game rules, you do not see how the series evolved at all.
>>
File: slime_large.png (463KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
slime_large.png
463KB, 1024x1024px
Dragon Quest XXX: Lords of the Locker Room
>>
File: 1376029615920.gif (37KB, 500x400px) Image search: [Google]
1376029615920.gif
37KB, 500x400px
>>385298171

The remakes keep everything the original games did and just add more to it. The gameplay, items and locations are pretty much the same, just with a few new things added. The only things the remakes don't have are things people would find negative like having to open the menu to climb stairs.

But even then, people will still get the experience of 'old' Dragon Quest they need when playing the remakes of Dragon Quest I and II. Which still lack a bag for items, have NPCs which give cryptic clues and have invisible items to find. They didn't need to keep these limitations in the remakes of DQIII and IV as well.
>>
>>385295637
Usually lastest version or any remakes.
>>
>>385298585
>keep everything

Remakes of 2 definitely all try to make the final dungeons less of a huge spike in difficulty.
>>
>>385298585
m8. DQ5 with 4 party members requires a rebalance of the entire game. No DQ5 remake is even remotley the same game 'with a few new things added'. The exact same can be said of DQ7 and 8, removing random encounters requires a drastic rebalancing of the rules to the point that it can no longer be considered the same game. When the core of the game is changed, that's not adding a few new bonus things.
>>
File: batboons.jpg (429KB, 1200x855px) Image search: [Google]
batboons.jpg
429KB, 1200x855px
>>385299017

I don't know what you're really saying. Are you speaking of Dragon Quest II or all but two games? If you're talking about the remake of Dragon Quest II, yes it did make the game a little easier. But that was specifically done by Yuji Horii. This article might be an interesting read for you.

http://shmuplations.com/dragonquestii/

The short of it is, Dragon Quest II was the only game Yuji Horii never fully play tested before letting it release. He only played up to the part where you get the boat. And as I'm sure you know, that's exactly where the game starts to have weird pacing issues. When it came time to remake the game, Yuji Horii replayed it (as he does for every game getting a remake) and made notes about what needed fixing. The Rhone area in DQII probably topped his list.

But even pointing that out, Rhone still has the silver batboons and they still cast sacrifice. Even in the remake. They just have a lower chance of pulling it off.
>>
>>385299237
>The exact same can be said of DQ7 and 8, removing random encounters requires a drastic rebalancing of the rules to the point that it can no longer be considered the same game.
I don't agree with this, at least when it comes to DQ7. In large, open areas it's easy to avoid enemies, but in smaller cramped hallways it's much harder, to the point where you actually end up fighting more monsters than you would if the battles were just random.
While this does create some problems where you can end up being a bit underleveled when entering a dungeon because you managed to avoid fighting in the overworld, at the end of the day it all balances out.
>>
>>385295637
dq1-3 snes
dq4- phone
dq5- ps2 for better graphics/music. ds version for extras (new wife)
dq6- ds or phone
dq7- 3ds
dq8- ps2 for graphics/music*. 3ds version for extras (2 new playable characters)

best starting games for normies are 5 and 8.
4 would be a good starting game too but the accents are more harsh in that one.
>>
>>385299764
Whether you fight more or less it still only goes to prove that it's a different game with very different rules.
>>
File: 1474074956758.jpg (89KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
1474074956758.jpg
89KB, 600x800px
>>385299237

>DQ5 with 4 party members requires a rebalance of the entire game.
Why? Do you mean EXP rates and how much HP enemies have? It's not hard to rebalance that. Stuff like monster spawn rates, what monsters you collect and the pacing of the story didn't change in the remake.

>The exact same can be said of DQ7 and 8, removing random encounters requires a drastic rebalancing of the rules to the point that it can no longer be considered the same game.
But it doesn't. They literally ported Dragon Quest VIII to 3DS and just changed random encounters to on field encounters. And I was actually a higher level when I got to the end of the game (52) than when I played it on the PS2 (45). Either they just increased the EXP rates from battles or I encountered more enemies. But then, I didn't run from anything.

Dragon Quest VII remake, I actually ran into more enemies than on the PS1 version. As someone already pointed out, you couldn't avoid them half the time because of tight spaces. But even then, I never ran into a problem of being underleveled. So why is it such a huge game breaking change?
>>
>>385295637
Play Dragon Quest 8 with the symphonic soundtrack and forget anything else existed.
>>
>>385300089
I'm not arguing which is the better version here, I'm arguing that they are indeed different games. Your posts contain examples of things that are different. I don't see how you don't get my point when you are partially proving it for me.
>>
File: 1473653188899.jpg (121KB, 702x1046px) Image search: [Google]
1473653188899.jpg
121KB, 702x1046px
>>385300830

>I don't see how you don't get my point when you are partially proving it for me.
I don't see how you miss my point when I'm saying the changes aren't substantial enough to warrant people playing the original game over the remake. And Yuji Horii himself remade the games to improve upon them. So it is closer to "what Yuji Horii intended".
>>
>>385301980
They're substational enough changes to blow your
idea out of the water, if you're the image guy.
>>
>>385295637
All of them.
>>
>>385302224

How? Even if you play the remakes exclusively, you see gameplay improvements over time. DQI and II remakes still keep limitations like no bag and less weapon choices. DQIII still has less class options than Dragon Quest VI, VII or IX. Dragon Quest V and VIII are relatively unchanged except replacing random battles and an extra girl to marry.
>>
I just started DQII and why couldn't the King go on this quest? Isn't he also a descendant of Loto?
>>
File: 1474531488609.jpg (655KB, 1000x730px) Image search: [Google]
1474531488609.jpg
655KB, 1000x730px
>>385304440

He's too fat to fit into his armor anymore.

No really, you make a good point. Just one of those things. Like the story not allowing you to recruit a super strong NPC because your party is full.
>>
10か11やればいいだろ
>>
>Your father died falling into a volcano
>I ask that you follow his footsteps

What an asshole!
>>
I want to get 3 for android, but I can't justify it when I have yet to complete 7 and 8 for the 3ds. I did finish 8 on the ps2 way back
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.