[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why was GTA 4's story so much better than GTA 5's?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 3

File: 1300753374-gta.jpg (56KB, 638x346px) Image search: [Google]
1300753374-gta.jpg
56KB, 638x346px
Why was GTA 4's story so much better than GTA 5's?
>>
>>385283648
V's story boils down to "hipsters and cucks, lol"
>>
because you were 12 when you played
>>
>>385283648
It wasn't
>>
>>385283648
it wasn't

boo hoo i'm a war criminal, here are retrodden racial stereotypes and 1-dimensional criminal characters for me to interact with, and a touching cookie-cutter drama for all these characters I don't care about at all to have their lives ruined

at least V was self-aware
>>
>>385283648
It wasn't though.
>>
>>385283648
it's not and 4 was literally the nadir of GTA narratives
>>
>>385283648
It was not
>>
>>385283648
V is way better, you just can't appreciate because you're 15 years old.
The whole gist about V was the mid age crisis from the point of view of
>A guy going through it
>A guy that went past it
>A guy on his way there

IV was about how a tool with self hatred gets used by low tier has been mobsters that can't even run a proper business.
It had better supporting characters, tho
>>
>all the shit taste in this thread
>>
>>385286462
Underage b& plz
>>
>>385283648
wew
>>
>violence is bad :(
>every mission is you murdering people
>>
>>385286032
>>385285862
>>385285781
>>385285652
>>385284941
>>385284492
You were all like 12 when GTA 5 came out. That's the hysterical part about you losers crying about "nostalgia" and legitimately think GTA 5's boring stale story was better than 4's.
>>
GTA 5 is shit.
>Fuck you! GTA 5 is daaa best!
Oh really? How about some fucking NPC then?
>>
>>385286807
Confirmed for not playing the game you shitfaced retard. His entire conflict revolved around getting revenge by any means necessary.
>>
>>385286901
Speak for yourself mate,
I was 22 when GTAIV was released.
>>
>>385283648
is there any mod or any fix that'll let me play and finish gta 4 on i5 6500's integrated gpu HD 530?

I can play and finish gta v at 720p mid-low at 30-40fps but gta 4 has so much worse performance. please help i want to play this game
>>
>>385287082
>22 months
>>
>>385286901
I'm 29. So you're dumb
>>
>>385283648
It wasn't. Why do you make GTA IV threads every day? Play other games, autist.
>>
>>385283648
Testing
>>
I got bored with V half way through. Not even mods could save it from that empty as fuck map with nothing to do. Cops are shit too. IV was fun because of the physics, car damage, and peds stumbling.
>>
File: 1090798[1].jpg (68KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
1090798[1].jpg
68KB, 960x720px
>>385287187
nice. I do this too
>>
>>385287156
>29 days
>>
>fewer weapons
>fewer vehicles
>worse overworld variety
>almost no customization, just a few clothing stores
>no planes
>virtually no aircraft
>mediocre animations (you don't even reload properly lol)
>nothing to buy except guns and ammo

The only things you might think are better in GTA IV are subjective things that come down to personal opinion and taste. There's almost nothing objectively better in IV. GTA IV was a tech demo.
>>
>>385286901
Excuse you, I was 26 when GTA IV came out. And I like it a lot, but it's in no way better than V, narratively speaking.
I'm mad as fuck that a lot of the small details given to IV were lost in V, but that has nothing to do with story.
>>
3 was so plain generic crime I tried to replay and almost fell asleep
VC was one big scarface reference
SA was one big black stereotype but I enjoyed
4 was one big FOB gritty crime stereotype but I enjoyed it
5 was good, I agree it was better written than 4 but somehow I had less fun than SA or 4.

If I had to pick one to be trapped on a desert island with it would be SA
>>
>>385283648
Non american protagonists.
>>
>>385283648
It's a more focused narrative about one character, who has several rising and falling actions throughout the story in a compelling fashion and involves character drama in a decent way. It's the most competent story Rockstar was involved in, other than Red Dead Redemption
>>
>>385287428
>actually defending V
You must be one of those niggers that plays Online 24/7
>>
There was a comphrensible story arc. With pitfalls, high stakes and lessons learned.

The problem was that the plot wasnt consistent to the type of free-roam activities players get up to. Which people might see as not fun or immersion breaking.

"Cousins i feel terrible about the people i must kill to survive" then runs over 20 pedestrians.

As opposed to tommy verciti who is a psycho and cj who was a nig.

I still rate it higher than gtaV lame clusterfuck of a single player and pray for rdr2 every day.
>>
>>385286901
no i was 12 when vice city came out and out of ALL the 3D gta games I've played (that'd be all of them) IV was the most disappointing.
>>
It really wasn't.
>>
File: rantjoe.png (189KB, 869x1129px) Image search: [Google]
rantjoe.png
189KB, 869x1129px
>>385287072
because he pissed everyone off and then acted like a douchebag which only made it worse.
>>
>>385287428
>2008 vs 2013
>>
>>385283648
It had one main character. Having 3 split the story up too much. And the villains in V were retarded stereotypical FBI.
>>
>>385283648
To the real cheeki breeki slavs here. How is Niko's Serbian.
>>
>>385283648
GTA4 is the only GTA game I played but didn't finish because I lost interest about halfway through.
>>
>>385288057
this is pretty accurate, having enjoyed 4 the most myself. I feel like five was playing upto some big pay off you never got to. Also, i think much like MGSV, 5 was extremely held back by the ps3 and 360 launch, this was notable in the way the police was executed. Granted, not everyone is looking for another wanted level simulator, the latest rendition clearly dropped the ball hard on that aspect and crossed out all your LA riots hopes and dreams.
>>
>been playing GTA V since it was released
>recently tried playing GTA 4
The game is downright unplayable after years of playing GTAV. I'm actually sad because I had such great memories of playing Ballad of Gay Tony and story mode.
>>
>>385286032
never thought about it this way but makes sense
>>
>>385291645
>implying
>>
>>385283648
They are equally shallow.

At least V was ridiculous. IV took itself too seriously.
>>
>>385283648
Because it actually tried instead of defaulting to "dude social commentary lmao"
>>
I'm not the only one who liked GTA IV cloudy city atmosphere more than the GTA V sunny beach atmosphere right?
>>
I hope there's a re-release for the 10th anniversary next year. GTAIV was one of my top favorites last gen but I don't want to pull out my PS3 anymore.
>>
>>385293529
all of the gta games are riddled with social commentary. you're just finally old enough to notice it.
>>
>GTA SA is one of my favorite games
>GTA V is going to be in Los Santos
>"Oh shit, it's going to be great"
>GTA V comes out
>Fails to capture the right atmosphere, the one that I loved SA for
And I am upset! Still a great game though
>>
>>385294015
>Fails to capture the right atmosphere, the one that I loved SA for
I agree i can't really explain what it is but it felt like an Ubisoft game for some reason.
>>
>>385287470
>but it's in no way better than V, narratively speaking
>even though it had no fucking story
>and no character had any arc nor motivation for doing any of the things they did
>>
>>385283648
Anon what you have to realize is Hauser wrote GTAV to appeal to 'gamers' whereas he wrote GTAIV because he knew mainstream media would scrutinize his next game (hot coffee etc). Therefore he had to make it a work of contemporary commentary which elevates a pretty average setup into something which works on just about every level.
>>
>>385283648
I enjoyed GTA 4 differently from the rest of the series. Nico was an interesting character: someone who tried beeing a pacifist but who essentially was a combat high gaining war machine. The friend dates (Jacob, Packie, Brucie,Roman,Katie and Dwayne) were a nice exploration of their characters and it was interesting to see how a character like Nico interacts with them. Driving in these sludgy handling cars, talking to roman after finishing a mission and going for a walk just taking the liberty city scene in with its passerbys and architecture were my favourite moments of the game.

But that is not what anyone asked for. You buy GTA for its action, violence, cars. For a crime movie like plot, its humor and its hamfisted attempts at satire. For a taste portion of easy to digest escapism. And GTA 4 tried to do that to.

Both didn't work.
Basically know what the game that you are trying to make is before you finish it.
>>
>>385288057
>starts with 3

Pleb.
>>
>>385295095
>starts with the series at the point where it was worth a shit
Stop being a contrarian faggot. The 2D games were crap.
>>
>>385294857
It had a story, you just decided to dismiss it because it doesn't suit your tastes.
I admit the story is not one big connected deal that makes perfect sense, but neither was IV.
In V Michael and Franklin have development and their own arcs. Trevor doesn't but it's clear that he's almost a proxy for the average player, so his biggest change was giving up on killing Michael even though he killed a plethora of people for insignificant shit, and that was because he likes Michael, whether he'll ever admit it or not.
But Mike and Frank had arcs, and they may not be as deep or meaninful as Niko revenge arc was, but that was kinda the point I think, that all the shit that they go through is kinda shallow, and they drown in a glass of water because they are shallow people because muh west coast mentality, I suppose. I think Lester mention something like that once, not like he's one to talk.
>>
>>385295049
IV's writing is a fucking joke though.
>HAHA CUZZIN BIG AMERICAN TEEETEES
>Roman I am of sad right nows goes the away
>>
>>385296402
>It had a story
What was it? And what were Michael and Franklin's arcs?
>>
>>385286901
Careful with that projecting, kiddo.
>>
>>385296642
>Franklin
Ex ganger trying to make a living, being a tool for everyone, his friend, family and employers, sudenly robs the wrong guy, then he realizes "man, that guy is rich, maybe he can hook me up with something"
They ended up robbing the Union Depository together. He also realizes the guy he admired wasn't much different from him, and that makes them bond even better.
>Michael
Retired crook who pulled plenty of scores, gets cold feet and betray everyone to be able to retire, and in the middle of his retirement, he realizes he's a husk. His family dislikes him, he dislikes himself too, and until Franklin, he thought that retiring was still the better choice, until he fuck up and gets forced to make a new score to pay off a debt to the mob. This makes him realize that making scores is what made him feel alive, and even though he still want to retire soon, he can't get enough of the thrill, and admits so to himself as well. Not to mention, he also realizes that the issue with his family wasn't so much them being shit (though they were) but he also pushed them away whenever he was feeling miserable, and if they were gonna work like a family, they all needed to admit that they're all they have.
If you choose to kill him, they take it pretty badly, even Trevor does, so there you have it.
I can't tell you the story because I don't have space, but it's not one connected thing like you usually expect, more like it's a huge collection of mini arcs that each get their own conclussion and each one adds a new stroke in the whole canvas.
It's not as dramatic or intensive as previous entries, granted, but it was more self aware, and don't hammer onto this shit in your face, or spoonfeed you about every single "moment" characters have.
I just liked this more than revenge arc.
>>
>>385297623
I asked for character arcs, not character descriptions. Mario's character arc is not that he's "a man in overalls who stomps on sentient mushrooms."
>>
>>385283648
It wasn't but it was more down to earth and relatable
Thread posts: 62
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.