[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Achievements/trophies

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

File: maxresdefault-28.jpg (71KB, 1280x780px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault-28.jpg
71KB, 1280x780px
Are they good or bad?
>>
File: 1474217468168443399.jpg (76KB, 876x719px) Image search: [Google]
1474217468168443399.jpg
76KB, 876x719px
Depends.

>Used as a guide to help push you to explore the game and try to find everything

Good

>Awarded for doing story-related tasks

Okay

>Awarded for pointlessly grinding something (Shoot 5000 enemies, walk 10000 steps, etc)

Terrible

---

>Using your achievements to get a guage on how far through the game you are

Good

>Using them as a point of personal pride

Okay

>Using them as an e-penis measuring stick

Bad
>>
>>385274320
fpbp
>>
>>385273393
They've essentially replaced unlockables since DLC became a thing.

I think their main purpose nowadays is for devs/publishers to keep track of exactly how much of a game the average player will complete to take into account for the next game(s).
>>
Is it interesting, wouldn't be obvious, something extra that's fun, and/or require skill to pull off?
Sure
Is it, congrats, you progressed the story?
lolno
>>
>>385274320
All of this
>>
>>385273393
Neither/both
If you like them you like them, if you don't you don't give a fuck.
>>
>>385274320
>>Awarded for doing story-related tasks
>Okay
No. Not okay. You were going to do that, anyway. That's not an achievement.
>>
Multiplayer-related achievement are repulsive and should not exist in games with multiplayer as an add-on

Those achievements become impossible to obtain if they shut down the servers
>>
File: 1432152477116.jpg (494KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1432152477116.jpg
494KB, 1024x1024px
I always liked the achievement approach in Left 4 Dead.

In VS there's an achievement for lighting yourself on fire on a hunter and pouncing on someone.The fire will kill you faster but it will deal massive damage to the survivor you jumped on. The achievement pushes you to try it out and if you're ever in the same situation again, you now know it's a pretty good strategy to use on your enemies.

That's not to say Left 4 Dead's achievements are perfect. I remember one is for headshotting a hunter in the face while it is pouncing. Pretty much RNG. I had a friend who got every other achievement that were far more skill based but was never able to get that one.
>>
If they involve grinding they are a pain

The trophy for reaching the godfather criminal rating in Vice City is the worst

>start new game
>grind cone crazy for 13 million dollars
>collect 80 hidden packages
>all without firing(npcs included) more than 101 bullets
>collect sea sparrow from mansion
>find a spot where you can blow up and shoot a vehicle safely
>fire 101 bullets
>get in sea sparrow
>rubber band your controller to shoot at vehicle
>the bullets from the chopper only count as "bullets that hit"
>this allows your accuracy to go above 100%
>wait a few hours until your accuracy reaches around 200k%
>get trophy
>>
>>385273393
I hate poorly planned achievements, they ruin a game for me.
Online achievements are the worst, because if to get a game after the online dies, or if the online was never active to begin with you are unable to get a platinum. Grindy achievements also suck because who the fuck wants to spend hours on the boring part of a game.
I think achievements should only be based on progression, completion and skill.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.