[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

A review of Nintendo's flawed hardware history

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

File: butt-thigh-jiggle.webm (377KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
butt-thigh-jiggle.webm
377KB, 600x450px
NES
Hardware was designed to run their arcade titles like Donkey Kong, where the game screen was not moving. All games on the NES with scrolling screens have extra chips on them, like the MMC1 and MMC3.

SNES
Acclaimed sound chip was designed by Sony. SNES was out years later than the Mega Drive, yet it has a slower processor. Sure, everything else is better than the MD, but since it was released two years later you would think the processor speed would be faster, too.

N64
Way more powerful than the PlayStation, but cartridge based. Nintendo choose cartridges to cut costs on hardware manufacturing, since CD drives/lenses were very expensive at the time. This act of dumbness cost them their victory to Sony and changed the vidya landscape ever since. If the N64 was CD based, it would probably have gotten games like Final Fantasy VII, Dragon Quest VII, Resident Evil, Metal Gear Solid and more. This is most probably THE dumbest decision Nintendo ever made - and it was all to have the console kost 199 at launch rather than 299.

NGC
Nintendo doesn't understand the importance of having a console/DVD hybrid. A lot of people used their Ps2 or Xbox as a DVD player, something NGC wasn't capable of. Why? Nintendo had their mini discs, plus they didn't want to pay the licence fee for making it DVD video compatible. Again, a stupid decision based on greed.

Wii
Now Nintendo just gave up the hardware race. Same architecture as NGC, slightly boosted specs. Flawed motion controller tech. A complete fad that almost stopped selling once the next fad was released (Kinect).

Wii U
Nintendo thought the future of multiplayer was gathering family and friends locally. That's very popular to do in Japan, but in the west few people give a shit about local multiplayer in the home. Another underpowered console that betted on a gimmick. This time the gimmick failed and so did the console.

SWITCH
Too early to say, although yet again, it's underpowered.

http://www.strawpoll.me/13539094
>>
Nintendo always had shit hardware
>>
>>385220240
You forgot the NES sprite bug. How the fuck they fucked it up?
>>
>>385220679
The NES ans SNES had great hardware for their time. Everything after was cheap shit.
>>
>>385220760
I did. What is that?

>>385220794
No. NES was way weaker than the Master System and most home computers at the time. SNES was released two years after MD and still didn't manage to have everything better.

A big reason why Sega overtook the market in Europe was because the sports titles (with lots of individual sprites) ran much slower on SNES than on Mega Drive.
>>
>>385220240
>All games on the NES with scrolling screens have extra chips on them
You are already wrong. Super Mario Bros is the most obvious example here. The screen scrolls and it's only an NROM. Because the NES does in fact have hardware addresses that adjust the offset of the nametables on screen; it is designed for scrolling backgrounds.
Source: I have programmed for the NES, NesDev wiki
>>
>>385221053
NES can't display more than 8 sprites at a time. Literally a bug in hardware.
>>
>>385221162
That's not a bug, it's an intentional software limitation to make sure the hardware doesn't spend so much time drawing sprites that it falls out of sync with the TV.
If you niggers want to talk about hardware bugs so much then how about the sample/controller conflict glitch.
>>
>>385221162
8 sprites on a single scanline you mean.
>>
>>385221157
So why then does Super Mario bros have the MMC1 chip?
>>
>>385221457
>>385221340
Not that interested in NES, sorry if I'm wrong but still funny.
>>
>>385220240
I wish the Wii would have worked out better though.
A good first person game where you use the motion+ wiimote and nunchuck as a sword and shield would have been the tits.
It worked fairly well in Skyward Sword but it could have been done better.
>>
Isn't the Wii the best selling console of it's generation? Why are you calling it a failure?
>>
>>385221635
from a technical standpoint it was behind a generation. bar the motion controls
>>
>>385221635
Because it sold to newfags who only bought 2-3 games in total. It was a total fad. Even fads can be successfull during a limited period of time
>>
>>385220240
>actively makes console cheaper than its competitors
>greed
Sir?
>>
>>385221776
Yes?
>>
>>385221053
>NES was way weaker than the Master System
Was it really? Master system games looked like ass
>>
>>385221635
We don't have ps3 sales ever since the ps4 came out.

Maybe it sold more
>>
>>385221635
he is angry because the shitty sony "created" to mimic the wii bombed hard

remember to hide and sag neogaf threads
>>
>>385221491
It does not. Check Bootgod database. It is NROM. The Duckhunt combo back is MMC1 if I recall.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.