[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

GBA Flashcards?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 9

File: 41RFXVXH0CL.jpg (19KB, 500x324px) Image search: [Google]
41RFXVXH0CL.jpg
19KB, 500x324px
I just ordered pic related and I'm super happy, because I always wanted one. Once it gets here, I'll pop in Metroid Fusion and give it a go!

However, I do wanna carry my micro around everywhere and always have a whole bunch of games with me too. This is why I wanna buy a GBA Flashcard.

Can /v/ recommend me any GBA Flashcards?

Flawless functionality of GBA games is of course the highest priority, but I'd also love it if I could emulate GB and GBC games and also can very easily drop GBA roms onto it, without needing extra software to convert them or something.
>>
File: s-l1600.jpg (69KB, 1001x1001px) Image search: [Google]
s-l1600.jpg
69KB, 1001x1001px
I thought about getting this. Looks easy and nice and is appropriately cheap.
Anyone got any experience with this?
>>
File: 1485596680679.jpg (602KB, 738x1309px) Image search: [Google]
1485596680679.jpg
602KB, 738x1309px
bump
>>
EZ Flash IV is the best one.
Pretty much all GBA flashcards require you to run patching software, it's a limitation of the way they're built.
Goomba Color can emulate GB/C games, but with limited compatibility.
>>
>>385201282
Thanks for the advice! I'll go check for EZ Flash IV.
Unfortunate with the patching. But that's ok!
I suppose EZ Flash IV supports homebrew such as Goomba Color?
>>
>>385201628
Yeah, there's not much homebrew though.
I haven't used Goomba Color much. I've only tried Metroid II (works perfectly), Pokemon Gold (works good) and Pokemon Crystal (didn't work).
>>
What about for ds flashcards got any good recommendations?
>>
>>385201796
R4 should do the trick
>>
>>385201796
They're pretty much all the same. Just avoid those timebomb ones with a certain year.
>>
>>385201835
>timebomb
What happened?
>>
>>385201956
The card just stops working after a certain date.
>>
>>385201956
it stops working after a certain date is reached
>>
>>385201785
It's not like I need much homebrew anyway. A GB / GBC emulator is pretty much the only thing I really need, because the Game Boy micro doesn't support GB / GBC games natively. An NES emulator may be nice too.
>>385201796
Got an R4 from a flee market and it's been working for years like a charm. I remember using it to remote control my PC using homebrew.
>>
What is meant with software patching? I also wanted to buy an EZ Flash 4.
>>
>>385202231
GBA games use a variety of different save chis depending on the specific game - EEPROM, SRAM, Flash, etc.
GBA flashcards only contain one of these.
Most GBA games need to be patched to they will happily save to the kind of chip that is available. Otherwise the game will not start, not save or otherwise behave weirdly.
>>
I use ez flash

the software to transfer games is fucking weird, but it works.
>>
>>385202408
That is actually quite interesting.
>>
>>385202520
When I tried to play one of the Sonic Advance games without save patching, it skipped the titlescreen and went straight to a debug level select where everything was unlocked.
>>
>>385199859
Had it for years. Make sure you get a mini to micro adapter because fuck mini.
>>
>>385202575
That is even more interesting!
Can't wait to play DOOM on GBM.
>>
>>385202653
What have you been doing with it? Only playing GBA games? No emulation or homebrew?
I keep reading on the internet that GBA games lag on the Supercard SD!
>>
>>385201282
i think the everdrive is better but also largely more expensive
>>
Man something about this thread feels really, really off.
>>
>>385202670
GBA and DS are interesting in a whole bunch of ways hardwarewise.
GBA carts are much more like GB/C, SNES or Genesis cartridges than DS cards or SD cards. It's just a flat block of memory that plugs straight into the CPU's address space. That turns out to be pretty useful, since GBA games can run (slow) code directly from the cartridge rather than having to load it into RAM first (The GBA only had 32KB of fast RAM and 256KB of slower RAM).
There's nothing special that prevents you from putting RAM on a GBA cartridge for that reason. You might be familiar with the DS web browser which came with a RAM upgrade that fits in the GBA slot, some DS homebrew like the Quake ports would even let you use GBA flashcards as RAM upgrades.
>>
>>385203537
So basically, a GBA cartridge is technically related to a RAM stick? That's neat!
What's keeping developers of making a console where the game cartridge is ACTUALLY the RAM which you just swap out for another game?
>>
Everdrive-GBA X5, no patching required and near 100% compatibility. Super worth in my opinion and relatively cheap for $100.

Everdrive in my opinion is always the way to go in terms of flashcarts. They're super reliable and offer almost perfect amounts of compatibility.

As for your choice of micro that kind of sucks. Screen is too tiny to actually be able to focus on when you're out and about and it's a little awkward to hold. Not to mention the battery life is kind of weak. Best choice would have been Nintendo DS Lite, although I know that isn't the most portable option.
>>
>>385199780
why would you want to play anything on that tiny piece of shit
>>
>>385203754
Real GBA cartridges use read only memory instead of RAM, but it looks the same to the console as long as you don't try to write data to it.
A GBA flashcard typically does contain a chunk of RAM. The flashcard simply copies the game file from the SD card into its internal RAM and then just presents that to the console. Conceptually pretty simple.

RAM is expensive compared to ROM, there's little reason to do something like that. However I believe it was somewhat common on the GB/C to use part of the rewritable save chip as additional RAM.
>>
>>385204021
I still have a classic GBA and I have a phat DS and a 3DS. I'm pretty well served on Nintendo portables, but I always wanted a micro. Maybe I'm gonna grab a GBA SP too if I see a cheap one on a flee market. Or modify my GBA to have background-light. I think I'll enjoy my micro though, I don't think I'll mind the tiny screen and I also never had problems playing with small controllers.
>>385204098
I thought that using cartridges as RAM wasn't feasable, but it would've been an interesting experiment. Just play that game straight onto your motherboard and start playing.
>>
>>385204553
Closest thing I can think of is something like the Famicom Disk System.
>>
Do they have ones for Gameboy Colour?

I'd give a leg to just carry my Gameboy colour around with every game possible
>>
File: 20ann.jpg (859KB, 1340x1787px) Image search: [Google]
20ann.jpg
859KB, 1340x1787px
>>385204553
Maybe it's because I've had the micro since pic related released so I'm spoiled.

I really want to get myself an ags101 GbaSP since that's the better model than what I have. But then again I kind of also want to get the pocket so I can complete my portable family. I have the original up to the fatds (which I love), really want to get a lite ds though(fuck the useless i) and yea I have a 3ds.
>>
>>385205272
I'm not an expert, but if you grap a GBA SP and use a flashcard on that, shouldn't it play GBC games as well? Only the GBA micro doesn't support GBC games.
>>
>>385205272
http://krikzz.com/store/home/8-everdrive-gb.html
>>
>>385205362
That pic makes it hard for me to wait for my GB micro to arrive.
I could shoot myself in the leg for not buying a whole bunch of micros when they were 20 bucks at a local retailer.
>>
>>385205394
GB/C cartridges are different internally to GBA cartridges. The different shape of the cartridge presses a physical switch that changes the voltage and forces the console to boot in GB/C mode instead.

The Game Boy Micro actually still contains the GB/C hardware and there's a way to make it boot the GBC bios, but without a way to read a cartridge it's useless.
>>
>>385205485
Oh yeah, right. I remember reading about this.
>>
>>385205394
Yeah but my SP is chapped as shit and I hate how gameboy games look on it

I will only ever completely drop my retro video games collection once I can play every game off a single cart on all of the original hardware

and maybe a modded 64 with a HDMI cable
>>
>>385199780
Cheap old - option EZ-Flash IV. Works for me fine for a lot of years now
Bit more expensive new - Everdrive-GBA X5 by Krikzz
>>385199859
For the love of god don't buy this one
It's crap
>>
>>385205869
>For the love of god don't buy this one
Thanks for the heads up!
>>
>>385208245
I've made similar mistakes of getting very early flashcards - in the end wasted money until I got Ez-Flash IV.
Sure. SuperCard is better than most of old flashcards but it's just doesn't worth the money nowadays, unless you find it insanely cheap with MiniSD, cause finding actual MiniSD can be a pain.
Honestly considering that you'll still need a patch stuff with Ez-Flash, and that amount of games for GBA is fucking huge, I'd say go with newer Everdrive one. Your call in the end.
>>
>>385208995
>Everdrive
>115 bucks

Holy moly! I don't think I got this kind of money. Thanks anyway, though. I will certainly keep your recommendation in the back of my head!
>>
>>385209813
Yeah, sadly that's the case for all everdrive stuff.
EZ-Flash 4 is way cheaper and at least has some sort of support via frimware updates up to this day http://www.ezflash.cn/download/ while supercard doesn't
You should find it around same price if not cheaper than supercard
>>
>>385209813
totally absolutely worth it in my opinion. Just try saving up, even if it means just putting away 10 dollars a month. At least within a year you'll be able to buy it and have something that's actually quality rather than shit
>>
>>385199859
>minisd
>requires patched games
>saving hardly works
>lags
>>
>>385210109
I havn't found an EZ-Flash IV anywhere nead the price of a Supercard. That's no surprise though, I found several Supercards for like 15 bucks. That's ok, though. EZ-Flash IV is still within the budget I wanna spend. Just Everdrive is too much for me!
>>385210228
I'll certainly keep my eyes open. I got my GB micro cheap after all, maybe I'm lucky and get an Everdrive cheap too.
>>385210278
That's even worse than I heard. Thanks for the warning!
>>
>>385210228
>shit
Hey. EZ-Flash is okay of a cheap flashcard. I hardy had an issue with it period.
>>
>>385210327
ehhhh I mean maybe you'll be able to find one on craigslist but that's a long shot. Just curious how much did you pay for your micro?
>>385210391
sorry I'm an all or nothing kind of guy
>>
>>385210727
>Just curious how much did you pay for your micro?
Including shipping 50 €. Comes with a charger and is apparently in very good condition! Couldn't spot a lil' scratch or mark on those photos!
I've seen a few micros for ~20 €, but I've always been too late. The thing is, most people who buy a micro want it for collector's reasons and thus pay a huge ammount of money (several 100 €), but I just wanna PLAY on it!
I really could bite myself in the ass for not buying one back then when they were avaiable for 20 bucks a piece at retail.
>>
>>385210727
>sorry I'm an all or nothing kind of guy
I get ya, that's why I got SD2SNES myself, just when I was getting GBA flashcard Everdrive for it wasn't been made nor announced yet.
>>
Is TWLoader recommended for people who have a hacked 3DS?
I'm not too chuffed about the compatibility issues, I just want to know if it is actually usable.
>>
>>385211415
Give it a shot but keep your expectations low.
>>
>>385210916
dang that's pretty expensive although I'm not familiar with the running price of them. Yea, i'm super happy for getting the famicom edition back when it came out, only $120! Although i think you're mistaken by saying they were 20 a pop at retail.
>>385211119
yea i got the latest everdrive 64 just because it basically has 100% compatibility. Even though I know I'll never be playing animal crossing in japanese. But pokemon stadium 2 will happen one day
>>
>>385211545
When don't I have low expectations?
>>
File: 070120_094645.jpg (118KB, 960x1280px) Image search: [Google]
070120_094645.jpg
118KB, 960x1280px
>>385211553
>Although i think you're mistaken by saying they were 20 a pop at retail.
Micro was a big flop and retailers wanted to get rid of them.
>>
File: haomepage.jpg (126KB, 1022x613px) Image search: [Google]
haomepage.jpg
126KB, 1022x613px
>>385211758
>>
>>385211758
>>385211979
fuck man that's insanity.

think of the lucky bastards to buy up loads of these and resell them now as brand new
>>
>>385211553
>yea i got the latest everdrive 64 just because it basically has 100% compatibility. Even though I know I'll never be playing animal crossing in japanese. But pokemon stadium 2 will happen one day
I have one of the first everdrive, won't change it now, works for me
Also there was Densha De Go 64 translated on English recently, it's bloody awesome, check it out
>>
>>385212264
I only bought two, one for myself and one for a good friend.

I regret not getting a third one for myself.
>>
>>385212383
hmmmm link me?
>>385212436
I regret not knowing about this and spending a grand buying up micros
>>
>>385212660
>hmmmm link me?
http://www.romhacking.net/translations/2947/
you'll need to patch rom yourself tho

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1uCU6ZSLBw
>>
>>385202732
Only some games lag, Internet complaining about it is largely overblown. You also can't trust anything on the Internet anymore since Krikzz shills spread misinformation about any other flashcart. Mario Kart, really fast paced shit, etc, do lag and a largely unplayable. DOOM actually works great on mine, despite everyone saying otherwise. It's the worst of all the GBA flashcarts still in production, but it does function and is very cheap. EZFlash IV seems like the way to go at this point though. When I got my SuperCard the EZFlash was still much more expensive, prices have leveled out now.
>>385210327
The EverDrive GBA is grotesquely large compared to all the other flashcarts, and will stick out of your Micro by like an inch and a half.
>>
>>385212806
hmmm welp hopefully I'm not fucked
>>
>>385213359
It's pretty easy, I believe in you, anon
just check JP ROM checksum before patching and you'll be fine.
You'll need xdelta patcher.
Or just google, maybe someone patched and uploaded it elsewhere.
>>
File: s-l225.jpg (13KB, 225x169px) Image search: [Google]
s-l225.jpg
13KB, 225x169px
>>385213343
>inch and half
ok calm down buddy it will stick out like half an inch, this isn't pokemon pinball we're talking about. it will look like top left in pic related
>>
>>385205459
I know that feel anon, amazon had them for 29€ and I also brushed it off as a waste of money
>>
>>385213718
Not really acceptable on the micro, especially when the alternatives do the same thing without the excessive size, and are 3x less expensive.
>>
File: sameshit.jpg (123KB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
sameshit.jpg
123KB, 1200x900px
>>385213967
it pokes out the same amount on the micro as it does on any other gba capable device. you already stated one game was largely unplayable so right off the bat you're wrong in saying they do the same thing
>>
>>385214236
You do know shilling is against the global rules?
>>
>>385215669
oh man you caught me! I'm krikz and I'm here to spread the word about how my product is better than similar products. shit man
>>
>>385215669
You know that everdrive is literally only new gba flashcard released in past 10 years or so? What else is there talk about flashcard wise?
>>
>>385199780
ez flash iv since you use a micro. the everdrive will stick out the bottom and get in the way. it can't do gb/gbc games.
>>
>>385202231
it means you just have to use proprietary software to add roms to the sd card. not a big deal.
>>
>>385216050
You've got two other options that are significantly less expensive and less cumbersome. You lose compatibility with a few games, but you save upwards of $80. Paying Krikzz' extortion prices for a product that's only marginally better than something that costs 5-10x less is insane.
>>
>>385216217
and that's why ezflash 4 is mentioned more times than everdrive in this thread. take off your tinfoil
someone prefers overpay for stuff to ease the hassle (no patching) and just want something more recent - their business
It's called having options.
Thread posts: 75
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.