[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The Last Remnant

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 4

File: header.jpg (29KB, 460x215px) Image search: [Google]
header.jpg
29KB, 460x215px
I figured I'd give this game a shot but I've heard it has autistic amounts of hidden game mechanics and it punishes for grinding too much.

Any simple tips to help just enough so I don't fuck myself over?
>>
>>385190297
You will die a lot, try the game until you die and then look for the wiki. You are not really playing the game if you don't feel a little pain. Like the original Wizardry tetralogy but with less puzzles.
>>
Go in blind.
Don't grind.
Make EVERY SINGLE CHARACTER, every single one of them, in your party completely specialized with the way you level their abilities.
>>
>>385190692
I think the PC version mitigates the punishment for grinding.
>>
>>385190774
I know, the 360 version is harder but I think OP should suffer just a little. Is part of the fun.
>>
Read the complete guide on gamefaqs
>>
File: 1311157685582.jpg (31KB, 228x243px) Image search: [Google]
1311157685582.jpg
31KB, 228x243px
>>385190297
>punishes for grinding too much
This does not happen.

This bug ONLY occurred on the original XBOX version of the game and has since then been PATCHED. NO ONE experiences this bug anymore. The difficulty people are falsely claiming is unbelievably hard is the NORMAL difficulty of the game. Enemies scale with your battle rank TO A POINT. You can surpass them AFTER THAT POINT. There is literally no reason to avoid grinding.

t. person who 100%d the game 4 times.
>>
>>385190297
I'd avoid using a wiki too much on your first playthrough. Especially don't look up what sidequests are available or anything. It ruins the experience, IMO.

If you really like the game you can play through it again for a 100% playthrough.
>>
>>385190771
Well I'm not really sure yet what that specializing is all about but alrighty then.

>>385191525
Are there situations where you're locked to fighting the next boss with no chance of grinding? Well I guess that's avoidable by using multiple save slots.
>>
>>385190692
>You will die a lot
when I played it I died only at hell gate. that's when I dropped the game.
>>
>>385192547
>Are there situations where you're locked to fighting the next boss with no chance of grinding?
I don't recall any situation like this because I've always been able to continue on after one boss to the next. I can't realistically envision a scenario where you would be powerful enough to defeat one boss and truly incapable of beating any others that are required to fight immediately after. For the most part though you can fuck off and grind during just about any part of the game.
>>
>>385192530
Not OP. I heard the sidequests were really easy to miss though.

That coupled with what looks like an overwhelmingly complex battle system and the apparent inability to over level without suffering a lot makes me not want to play it.
Which annoys me because I've already paid for it and it has great music, though from what I've just read it's been patched?
>>
>>385192852
Can confirm. There are missable sidequests that lock you out of A LOT of content. It's worth paying very close attention to the side quest portion of the wiki to ensure you do not miss out on an entire dungeon.
>>
>>385192547
yes, about 50% of the way through the game you have to fight 3 bosses in a row with no turning back, one of which is the Gate of Hell and one of the harder bosses in the game
>>
>>385192852
>>385192956
No, this is the trap. You start to obsess over getting 100% completion.

When you worry about "when quests are available" and "what I need to do before I beat x boss", you end up turning the game into a job. You start playing a list, rather than a game. You don't appreciate all the characters you get to recruit or all the nifty options you get because they feel like they're meaningless rewards that are invalidated by what you already have.

If you want to play a 100% game, do it on your second playthrough, not your first. You'll appreciate the options, the characters, the customization.
>>
>>385192956
Well that just sounds terrible.

>>385193204
What if I only care about fighting enemies and discovering new music in the process? And I'd rather not miss any bosses at all if possible?
>>
Talk to the bartender in whatever town you're in after every quest you do, they'll tell you if there's a sidequest available and where it is. Do this often until they tell you there's nothing going on.

but i wouldn't worry about doing all the quests on a first playthrough because THE FALLEN.

and listen to this guy >>385191525 the difficulty/perma-fucking-yourself-over meme is vastly overexaggerated. as long as you're playing PC version that is, which you should because it's by far the superior version.

Nora best girl, catchexia is your win button.
>>
>>385193359
There's honestly a shitton of bonus/extra bosses in this game that will require near autistic levels of dedication to find, let alone beat. Really, play it through doing as much as you can without going nuts the first time, and if you like it enough to get anal about it, go ahead.

Fun part is if you 100% all the sidequests the final boss gets a massive stat and moveset boost. But that's second/third playthrough material.
>>
Don't bother recruiting from the barracks or generic guild dudes. There are enough unique characters to totally fill your party (and unique leaders are almost always better).
Don't take the battle map too seriously. There's almost nothing you can do to meaningfully affect your positioning. Focus more on specializing your unions and keeping your ap and morale up.
>>
File: 1472177158533.gif (1MB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
1472177158533.gif
1MB, 250x250px
>don't read a guide
>you'll miss an insane amount of shit
>don't make it a job
>you'll need to play thru a second time to get the most out of it
>go in blind
>every Last Remnant thread/forum is filled with people talking about hidden complexity
>>
>>385191525
While this is true, what monster you fight, where, how and when does influence your stat gains. If you know how to game the system you can end up with two-three times higher stats compared to going in blind. Which is a big deal, sure, but the game's very much completeable with base stats.
>>
to add to the grinding thing

you gain meaningful amounts of stat boosts and ability levels by fighting enemies that are roughly your level or higher. since your abilities get better the more you use them, you need to be fighting enemies that can survive being hit more than once or twice. so you want to be chaining together groups of relatively tough enemies, or picking fights with the unique monsters (green names) in every area if you want to make meaningful progress.

what you're not supposed to do is grind weak, low level mobs over and over again, as this will raise your battle rank while not giving you much in the way of stat gains. still, with the PC version, it's difficult to do more than make the game somewhat harder.

essentially, pick tough fights. if you go back to early game areas, don't feel like you have to clear out everything all over again. if you're not getting much in the way of stats from enemies, move to a new area or progress the story.

it's not particularly dwarf fortress.
>>
File: best slut.jpg (104KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
best slut.jpg
104KB, 800x800px
>>
>>385193720
>Fun part is if you 100% all the sidequests the final boss gets a massive stat and moveset boost.
That sounds amazing.

>>385194405
Does the grinding fix patch apply to Xbox 360 or do I definitely need to focus my...focus on unique/tough enemies still?
>>
>>385194928
i would avoid playing the 360 version if at all possible, i haven't played it myself but according to a friend who has the PC version has an incredible amount of quality of life improvements on top of all the bugfixes, shit like speeding up the mining so you no longer want to kill yourself getting materials.

but regardless of what version you should be focusing on tougher enemies.

really, if you clear every new area as it shows up and then avoid re-fighting everything if you return to it, you will probably be on par for just about everything barring the big scary bonus bosses.

it's pretty easy to tell though. if you're in an area, you pull 2-3 groups of monsters, and you get like two people getting HP up and nothing else, don't bother fighting anything else in this area.
>>
Played it on the xbox360, shit man this game grabbed me by the balls. I dropped the game when I was at this huge castle and had to storm a gate(Hells gate like other anon?) Anyway didnt really like the fighting system. Liked the city's and characters very much though but voice acting sucked also. Maybe one day I try it again.
>>
>>385195487
>i would avoid playing the 360 version if at all possible
It is not. I'll try your advice though.
Thanks everyone.
>>
>>385195772
been saying it all this thread but try the pc version, fixes a huge amount of bullshit.

also there's nip voice options which is great if you're weeb enough to handle that kinda thing.
>>
>>385190297
Just lurk a wiki if you want to understand the game mechanic because the game really tell you nothing about all that crap. Anyways, the game is very fun when you get how it's mechanic work.

Btw, play PC version, XB version suck.
>>
>>385195901
cheers, good luck. remember that skills get better as you use them, if you wanna get better at magic, etc. then you gotta actually use the magic, etc.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.