[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why did the PS Vita fail?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 5

Why did the PS Vita fail?
>>
>want to get a cheap vita
>memory cards are still expensive as fuck

When will this meme end.
>>
File: hueg migu machine.jpg (407KB, 1411x1058px) Image search: [Google]
hueg migu machine.jpg
407KB, 1411x1058px
>>385144021
Smartphones, the 3DS price cut, no Monster Hunter, stupid pricey memory cards, and the dudebro garbage SCEA was pushing was much, much shittier than tolerable.
>>
>>385144021
They should make a PS Phone
>>
>>385144021
The memory cards, it's the only reason I haven't bought one.
>>
>>385144021
Retarded proprietary memory cards, and a meh library, especially in the west where only like 30% of the games would get localized.
Also the last nail in the coffin was when they started porting all the games on PC.
>>
File: do-drugs.jpg (25KB, 640x414px) Image search: [Google]
do-drugs.jpg
25KB, 640x414px
>>385144021
1- Devs like portable systems because they are cheap to develop for
2- The Vita touted a console experience close to a PS3
3- Gamers in the west want a system pushed to its limits
4- The Vita pushed to its limits costs as much to develop for as a console
5- Developers would rather develop for the 3DS because it is cheaper to push it to the limit.

That, coupled with Nintendo's install base, expensive memory cards, and lack of support after launch.
>>
>>385144021
2 things

1.- price of the memory cards
2.- Sony quickly abandoning it, it gave the impression that the vita would quickly die, it continued getting games but, without the confidence from Sony, many devs felt that it wasn't worth it.
>>
absolutely retarded memory card prices and no support from sony
>>
Sony abandoned it
>>
>>385145554
Well they abandoned it because of the small install base.

The small install base was there because of the lack of games and cost.
>Base model
>+3G upgrade
>+Phone contract
>+Memory cards
>+PS plus

I bought a 3g one at launch because you got wipeout for free when you topped up the sim with £5 so it worked out around £10 cheaper than the base model and just buying wipeout
But the cheapest memory card was £20 iirc. That filled up quickly.

It was too expensive for what you were getting.
>>
>>385146391
problem is that they abandoned it, even if it didn't have great sales, having the parent company abandon a products sends a message to the consumers and to the developers that they don't believe it has a future.

This happened with the 3DS but Nintendo didn't abandon it and stuck to its guns and made it successful.
>>
>>385146679
Well they abandoned it for a reason and that reason is the problem.

Not supporting it just reinforced the original problem.
>>
>>385146937
like I said, Sony immediately dropped it instead of trying to fix the issue, Nintendo fixed its issues and they were rewarded.
>>
>>385144021
>Memory Cards
>Smartphones
>No Monster Hunter
>Sony
>>
NO games
>>
>>385144021
Because the 3DS exist
>>
Damn it, the memory cards are that damn expensive?
Fuck them, I wanted to buy one but now they can fuck off.
I thought it used standard microsd.
I wanted to hack one to play some old games from older consoles (and maybe if I could, buy some games that I like) but no way in hell
>>
>>385147431
If you hack it you can use an sd2vita
>>
Was there any need for Sony to discontinue the PSP? Looking for year on year sales figures atm but it had a massive install base, a solid library, and the Vita's non (physical media) backwards comparability and memory cards, compared to the 3DS, are utterly ridiculous.
>>
>>385147481
Not worth trying it, I don't know who's the guy selling it and his intentions, I can't trust him. I don't know if I'll be tricked in buying his stuff
>>
>>385147875
Sony were massively butthurt at how everyone hacked the PSP, game sales were way down but PSP sales were really good so one of the key aspects of the PS Vita was to make it unhackable hence all the bullshit.
>>
Not only the memory cards. The system itself is still expensive.
Also DID it fail? It failed in the West that's for sure. Was popular in Japan yet there wont be any Sony handheld in the next 10 years.
>>
249 US Dollars for a fucking handheld, when mobile gaming on iphones was already taking off.
>>
>>385147067

I would like to know the details about this. The 3d flopped first and then Nintendo saved it? How? What's the full story here?
>>
>>385144021
1-No games
2-SD a shit
3-Sony hate it
4-3DS is just a better option in general
5-And as the final nail in the coffin, no mainline Monster Hunter games.
>>
>>385148265
when the 3DS came out it was disgustingly overpriced and had no games
They dropped price and finally released some fucking games, then all was well
>>
>>385148265
member the ambassador program?
member MML3?
>>
>>385144118
Only way is to find good deals from used consoles. There are prople who dont recognize theyr value and bundle it with console for hilarious price. I bought 16gb one for 4£ seperatly from some kid
>>
>>385147174
Pretty accurate. Especially the first two points.

Vita is a great system but things like Sony ceasing game development on it made most of the new games on it all from Japan. Unfortunately that's not everyone's cup of tea.
>>
>buy a Vita
>play it everyday for nearly 4 years straight
>sell it for almost twice the price I bought it because of henkaku
>use the money to buy a PS4
I'll really miss my Vita though
>>
>>385146937
>>385146679
>>385147067

You're all forgetting that Sony was in dire straits in 2012, between selling their headquarters and the relatively bad performance for the PS3, everyone here and around the internet was saying Sony was gonna die. They cut their losses and put all their chips on the PSQuatro, which paid off spectacularly, but they never bothered with the Vita after the first six months. After the first year, it got the stigma of being the weeb machine which more or less kept it ded over here. Nintendo saved the 3ds because it's a core part of their business and losing out on the portable market would mean way more to them than to Sony.

Also >>385145361, specifically the porting part. You can buy almost all the decent exclusives for the system on your PC or PS4/PS3 and that means almost nothing if you don't like Japanese games.

Plus, the system still got hacked, so Sony failed to realize that would happen anyway and created an insular tiny community of autistic weeblords with disposable income as their only market in the West.
>>
>>385148979
This really boggles my mind. What sony game did you want on it? Another Uncharted game? Another LittleBigPlanet?
>>
>>385147372
then why did the wii u fail
>>
>>385148265

>Being underage
>>
>>385149201
>everyone here and around the internet was saying Sony was gonna die
If only they did.
>>
>>385149321
Poor marketing and not enough horsepower. It was kinda just above other 7th gen consoles and every turbocasual just thought it was another Wii.
>>
>>385149280
I am fine with the systems titles as is except I would appropriate some Crash titles on Vita. However for the average western consumer it wasn't good. How many people do you know IRL interested int he latest version of Neptunia? There aren't many big titles directed at western audiences besides the ones Sony made.
>>
>>385144021
A multitude of reasons:

Elevated price from peripherals, lack of platform seller titles (losing MonHun didnt help either), more development cost, lack of first party support after the first year, more expensive that their direct competition, almost no advertisements in the west, etc.

It still has a lot of good qualities and titles, along with showing us what a powerful (for the time) portable machine could do, it's a shame it went like it did.
>>
>>385144021
expensive memory cards. and sony forgot to market it as an handheld and make handheld games for it instead of pushing the shitty AAA home console onto the thing.
>>
Vita only failed if you're an EOPerson.
>>
>>385149621
The Vita launched with plenty of support from sony. Compare what the Vita got in it's first year to what the PS3 got in the first three years and it's unbeliveable. The Vita got a pretty good Uncharted game, a really good Killzone game, a Resistance game, a LittleBigPlanet, Tearaway, the best Wipeout game to date and many more. It's just that handhelds aren't popular in the west anymore and the people who play handhelds are much more interested in playing mario and pokemon so they got their 3ds already.
>>
>>385148137
thats the exact price the psp was on release too
>>
That lawsuit caused the Vita to fail.
>>
>>385144021
Because you touch yourself at night. No but seriously overpriced storage and bad support from Sony, lack of features without homebrew.
>>
The failure of black ops declassified was the final nail in the Vita coffin in my opinion.
>>
It outlived the WiiU
>>
>>385144118
Buy a 3.6 Vita and get an SD2Vita card.
>>
>>385144021
The one and only reason Vita failed was the lack of mainline Monster Hunter games, No mainline no success, for 3DS it was just extra sales but for Vita it was the decisive, most important thing that it could possibly lose and it lost it.
>>
File: 1500613078748.jpg (240KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1500613078748.jpg
240KB, 1920x1080px
>>385144021
>persona 4 golden and dancing all night is what's putting the vita on life support
we all know its going to die the moment a ps vita emulator is released
>>
It didn't. It's a great handheld and way better than the 3DS system wise. And this is coming from an idort.
>>
>>385151893
You say that as if people want an emulator for the vita. To play what P4G Soul Sacrifice Delta and .... well that is about it.
>>
>>385144021
The fucking memory cards.
>>
>>385144021
jesus christ we have this thread every day

>lack of support for western style games
>shitty memory cards
>poor marketing
>>
It had no Ape Escape 4
>>
>>385144021
Because all of the good games are untranslated weebshit that normies don't care about.
>>
>>385153172
But the good games ARE translated. It's the moeshit kusoge that remains untranslated and for good reason.
Thread posts: 57
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.