[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Replayed MGS1 after a long time >Roy Campbell contacted Snake

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 5

File: IMG_0165.jpg (76KB, 450x500px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0165.jpg
76KB, 450x500px
Replayed MGS1 after a long time

>Roy Campbell contacted Snake for a mission to rescue the ArmsTech president and the DARPA Chief from terrorists who wanted Big Boss' body for unknown reasons, when in reality he knew it was just so that SS could stop Metal Gear, a secret weapon designed by the american government to gain upper hand in the arms race, from falling in foreign hands and destroy evidence of the nuclear weapon tests (while also saving his niece, Meryl)
>The secretary of defense Jim Houseman wanted to erase all evidence that Metal Gear existed but also wanted to acquire the nuclear and weapon test data for future use, so he got Roy Campbell to get Solid Snake for the mission and arranged for SS to be shot with the newly developed FoxDie virus, so that he'd kill everyone that knew about the Metal Gear project as soon as he contacted them, including the terrorists
>He wasn't aware that Dr. Naomi Hunter, developer of the virus, was out to get revenge for her 'brother' Gray Fox / Frank Jaeger, disfigured by SS in Zanzibar. She modified FoxDie so that she could kill Solid whenever she got the opportunity, after she knew who her enemy truly was
>>
>>385142382

>Liquid Snake, the leader of the terrorists and former soldier in Roy's special unit, wanted to surpass Big Boss, whom he hated, by using Metal Gear to get money to fund his world where soldiers weren't pawns of governments - succeeding where he failed -, 'cure' the genetically enhanced soldiers of Big Boss' genes and cure his 'cell disease' caused by the cloning process which created both Liquid and Solid from Big Boss' DNA. Only later he learned about FoxDie, which ended up killing him.
>Little did he know that this incident was orchestrated by Revolver Ocelot, his unit comrade, under orders of the US President himself, Solidus Snake, so that both Liquid and Snake would fight to the death
>Initially, we were led to believe Revolver Ocelot wanted Liquid to sell the Metal Gear info to Russia, to reignite the cold war, but at the end of the game it's clear he was also working for the US president, as stated previously

With only MGS1 knowledge, is everything correct up until this point? I'm trying to see if I understood the characters in MGS1. No MGS2-3-4-PW-V facts please, those rewrite tons of stuff here, if this is indeed correct.
>>
>>385142382
>>385142507

All that sounds pretty sound, but I do have one comment to make: Naomi was sure enough that she wanted Snake dead to modify FoxDie not for on-command death but for random death at an unpredictable time in the future. Right?

That's also pretty handy to leave rooms for sequels...
>>
>>385142382
>>385142507
Speaking as someone who has followed this story since he was a kid and revisited it repeatedly over the years: Yes, this is all spot-on, and yes, future games rewrite a ton of shit.
>>
>>385142507
>>385143610
However, President Sears wasn't revealed to be Solidus until MGS2.
>>
>>385143762

Nah, at the end of MGS1 in the Revolver-President talk they say the president is Solidus and mention how Solid and Liquid didn't know about the third brother.

>>385143354

Seems right. It feels like Hideo wanted a sequel, to deal with Solidus, but never wanted to use Solid again as a main character, judging by the way MGS1 ends.

It seems like the 'ideal' sequel wouldn't even feature Snake as a playable character at all, but he ended up using him in the actual sequel (kinda retconning his happy / sad ending with Meryl) after all, either because of the idea he had for the MGS2 twist or because of Konami forcing him to feature Snake on the cover of the box for marketing purposes.
>>
>>385143762
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qm_lxeQ6PmM
>>
So why didn't foxdie work, was Naomi under the pretense solid had the better genes or sumptin?
>>
>>385142382
>DARPA Chief
oh Sigint, we hardly knew ye
Why'd Big Boss' old crew turn bad again?
>>
>>385144781
Kojima dind't want a sequel period, it's why MGS2 is a deconstruction of what a video game sequel is and uses Raiden to mock the player.

>Raiden
>Whiny nerd who wants to be Solid Snake

>Average Metal Gear player
>>
>>385142382
>finish MGS
>emulated MGS2 runs like shit
>PC version was ported like shit
>MGS4 is a PS3 exclusive
How am i supposed to play MGS as PC player? reee
>>
>>385148306
You're not missing anything with MGS4, one of the few games I wish I could unplay.
>>
>>385148306
>PC version was ported like shit
Given modern hardware and software, that's really no excuse. I was able to run it years ago after getting a program to deal with the dogshit controller implementation
As for MGS4, if you must play it, you're best off playing the youtube port, it isn't like you're missing anything with the gameplay.
The real thing you're missing out on is MGS3.
Although really how expensive would a PS2 be these days?
>>
>MGS1 PC
where??? is it on isozone?? it would be neat to play it in first person, no radar
>>
>>385147503
Raiden isn't even that whiny though. He's just inexperienced compared to Snake. I think people unfairly hate on his character too much.
>>
>>385149268
The only problem with Raiden isn't even Raiden. The problem with Raiden is his bitchy girlfriend choosing the important mission as the time to endlessly nag him.
Or maybe that was part of the patriots' plan who fucking knows
>>
so, I kind of have everything I'd need to replay the entire series

which play order is best?
>>
>>385147503
That's mostly an impression you got from playing the english dub. Try the jap version, Raiden has an über-masculine voice and the dialog doesn't make him as whiny
>>
>>385145739

I think she sort of programmed a 'switch' for it, to be activated by her and her alone if she decided he was a bad man after getting to know him throughout the mission, but maybe just being in the body would be enough to kill him eventually, even if no kill order was sent.
>>
>>385149772
release, starting from MG1 on the MSX
>>
>>385149090

MGS 4 has the best gameplay in the series though, considering it wasn't tainted by PW casualization like V was.
>>
>>385150207
all 5 minutes of it
>>
>>385149090
I wasn't enable to fix the joystick bullshit and gave up after a while playing on the keyboard.
MGS3 runs ok on pcsx2, only MGS2 has problems. Anyway i finished MGS3 years ago on PS2 although i don't remember the plot.
I am seriously considering buy a PS3 just for the MGS legacy collection or anything that gave all the games
>>
>>385150259

If you remove the cutscenes, it's still longer than MGS 1 and has arguably the best final boss fight in videogames.
>>
>>385150286

Legacy collection is great

>MG1
>MG2 SS
>MGS1
>MGS2
>MGS3
>MGS4
>MGSPW
>>
>>385150354
>>385150207

>crawl through area
>2 hour cutscene
>boss fight
>crawl through the next area

That's my memory of MGS4.
>>
>>385150354
honestly the game is shit from act 3 onwards
>>
>>385149860
Is it possible to play MGS2 in Japanese with subtitles?
>>
>>385150770
There's no menu option for it. Maybe pc version has mods
>>
>>385150582
>Trail a guy for an hour
>DUDE ON RAILS SHOOTING SEQUENCE even though we ended the last chapter with one
>Worst boss in the series
It was chapter 3 of MGS4 when I realized Kojima was a hack and the first three Solid games were flukes.
>>
>>385151463

>play 4 games
>enjoy 3, don't enjoy 1
>"the three good ones were flukes!"

?
>>
File: Decline-of-MGS.jpg (3MB, 1512x5411px) Image search: [Google]
Decline-of-MGS.jpg
3MB, 1512x5411px
>>385151712
Not him but the first three weren't flukes at all, just an important piece of the puzzle wasn't involved for post 3.
>>
File: maxresdefault(74).jpg (211KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault(74).jpg
211KB, 1600x1200px
>>385151463
I hate what came after MGS3 too but the guy made like a dozen solid (pun intended) games. More than most devs.
>>
>>385151845
The creators documentary of MGS2 is hilarious.
A huge portion of it is Kojima talking about his ideas, and members of his team not believe he was serious about something so stupid.

It doesn't matter who, but it obvious Kojima goes full retard when he isn't working with anyone.
>>
File: DeathStranding.png (50KB, 1298x270px) Image search: [Google]
DeathStranding.png
50KB, 1298x270px
>>385152805
Death Stranding will be interesting.
>>
>>385151845

Literally meme image.

>complains about nanomachine overload in MGS4 while loving nanomachines in 2
>complains about optional important stuff being in tapes in PW while optional important stuff was in codec calls in all other games
>thinks parasites are a stretch in a series where supernatural elements and nanomachines are all over the plot
>>
>>385151845
>the antagonists are all entertaining despite being considered the worst in the series by fans
The fans who say they're the worst have shit taste.
>>
>>385149427
>The problem with Raiden is his bitchy girlfriend
I do not disagree with you there. Those parts with his girlfriend are the worst. But aside from that crap, Raiden is actually an alright guy through most of the game.
>>
>>385153530

They do, everyone knows the MGS2 boss squad is the worst.
>>
File: Beautyandthebeastunit0.jpg (198KB, 1280x754px) Image search: [Google]
Beautyandthebeastunit0.jpg
198KB, 1280x754px
>>385155242
Wrong.
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.