[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>1.1M sales AHAHHAHAHHA WHAT A FAILURE

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 100
Thread images: 10

File: the last guardian.jpg (101KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
the last guardian.jpg
101KB, 1280x720px
>1.1M sales

AHAHHAHAHHA WHAT A FAILURE
>>
Being made by Japanese people doesn't make it any less of a shitty "art" "game".
>>
>10 years
>only 1.1 m
LMAOOOOOOOOO
>>
why would you laugh like a crazy person and be genuinely glad about a game selling a certain number of units
>>
>>385137605

How was this a failure? Honest question.
Sales wise? Yes. But why do people hate this game?

It is exactly what it was promised, what was advertised.
People know what they were getting. You either like it, or you don't.

This isn't MGSV or Nu Man's Sky.
The game wasn't promoted as being more than what it ended up being. The game didn't fail at reaching what it aimed at.

People just didn't like it because it wasn't a sequel or another open world cinematic action game.
>>
>Nioh managed to hit 1 million worldwide in a month
>it took TLG 8 months to hit 1.1M worldwide after being heavily discounted within it's first 3 weeks
What went wrong?
>>
>>385137907
it took them a decade to shit out a bad game
>>
I liked it but promptly forgot about it. Was there any deeper mystery worth talking about?
>>
>>385138057
It's a great game though, people who criticize it for its perceived shortcomings (Trico's unresponsiveness) didn't appreciate that was a deliberate design choice. Ueda himself said if Trico were fully responsive it would've felt less realistic, it was by design
>>
>>385137605
It sold better then Ico and SotC combined, so it's not a failure.
Now you'll probably replay to me e same old: "Yeah but 10 years of development..."
My answer to you would be something like: "Incorrect, this game wasn't in development for 10 years, it's just a misconception, and this has nothing to do with sales.
Then you probably will answer with some out of context greentext and I will just replay with "ok senpai".
>>
How does it compare to Shadow of the Colossus or Ico? Been contemplating getting a PS4 for it and a few other exclusives.
>>
It was a bad game
>>
>10 years in development
>still turned garbage
literally cant make this shit up,thats Jap Dev Salary Men hard work ™
>>
>>385137982

Nothing. TLG was and still is a niche game.
Nioh was promoted as being another dark souls hence why the bigger consumer interest.

You can't associate the initial sales with bad reception. Bad reception comes after, bad sales come after. Nu Man's Sky sold a shit ton of unity only dropping weeks after once the backlash reached the consumer's ears.

The Last Guardian not selling well the first week only shows it wasn't a very hyped or mainstream game, despite amount of hype it got.

It is a similar situation with past MGS games.
MGS was always a huge franchsie in the west, despite past titles not showing mind blowing sales.
>>
File: 1496843880077.png (157KB, 500x309px) Image search: [Google]
1496843880077.png
157KB, 500x309px
>>385137605
Never understood why everyone pretended like this was a game everyone and their mother had been waiting years for
>>
>>385138440
it's much closer to Ico than SOTC
>>
>>385138057
No the development began 10 years ago but it went on hiatus just few years later.
The complete development cycle was something like 4-5 years at very worse
>>
File: ddAWEdn.jpg (21KB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
ddAWEdn.jpg
21KB, 480x270px
>>385138432
>it's shit on purpose

The equivalent of "we trained him wrong as a joke", you cannot make this shit up.
>>
>>385138432
Your arguments are lost to the empty minds on this board, sorry.
>>
>>385138780
It's not "shit on purpose", there some trick to understand how to ready his AI, in fact I finshed my second playthrough less than 7 hours because Trico was very responsive to my commands.
Ueda himself said : " we could have made Trico come immediately, like clockwork. But if we did that, Trico would not seem like an independent creature. It wouldn’t seem like it was alive and making its own decisions…But at the same time, if it takes too long for Trico to come, that could stress the player.”
>>
>>385138780

>it's shit on purpose

It isn't shit. The point of having Trico unresponsive sometimes is deliberated. The idea is to have Trico as a separate entity, to feel like he is real, his own character with independent objectives and behavior. He isn't meant to be a tool, and extension of the player like most non playable npcs you see in games.

If the point was to make him feel like a wild animal, then having him not being in full control was the correct thing to do.

You either get it, and appreciate it or you don't.
It is literally a case of "this game just isn't for you, you don't get it"

With that said, you can also be a person that understand this, but still doesn't like it and I get it and accept it.
It is an artistic decision, you can claim it is a bad one, but that is your opinion. The objective was accomplished, that is what it was intended

Again, you either like or you don't
>>
>>385139268
sorry for the typo
>>
It's pretty astonishing how quickly this got forgotten
>>
>>385139441
it was forgotten by the people who didn't played it.
>>
>>385139652

this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekwVchZXtkc
>>
>>385137605
Sony make these artsy/niche exclusives because they are system-sellers. A lot of people bought a PS4 to play The Last Guardian.
>>
>>385139779
I love you man
>>
Give pc release and there will be 1m more excluding piracy
>>
>>385138432
what about the shitty ass controls in general huh?

just gonna fucking ignore that are ya?

yeah i thought so.
>>
>>385137605
I really liked it, but like most exclusives they just don't end up selling that well.
>>
>>385139441
people got hyped for the game again when it was announced that it was moving to ps4.
but then the delays started happening again and people finally stopped caring.

you could tell they needed a whole lot more time on the game because of how shitty it ran.
it runs even worse than FFXV even though its not really a graphically intensive game.
>>
>>385139884
You may be right, I can't see a dudebro buying a game like this, the ones who got it did so because they were waiting for that already.
>>
>>385139268
>>385139370
Those are very good posts.

>>385139652
Nah, he's right about that, it's not matter of the single person reminding it fondly or not, it's just that, contrary to what happened to the other Ueda's games, people very rarely bring this game up in general discussion about good games or make threads to talk about what they liked about it like it happens with the cult titles.
Some months ago an anon tried to explained it be talking about how the general current taste of gamers aren't very compatibile with this game, it was a better explanation than I'm making it sound.
>>
>>385140165

Team Ico knows jack shit about optimization.
SoTC runs terribly despite the empty maps.

Yes, some colossus are gigantic, but I doubt the ps2 has such issues rendering two characters at the same time. Even less considering how you rarely see a colossi in his entirely.

The game is just poorly optimized, just like the last guardian

I still love both equally
>>
>Japanese game sells between 1 and 5m copies
>historically quite good numbers
>LMAOO SUCH A FAILURE
>>
>>385137605
Considering that the game was niche, came out and ran like shit on base hardware, was released to literally zero hype (it had been Coming Soon TM far too many times), and was of possibly lesser quality than its predecessors, this game actually sold pretty damn well. I understand that it was in development for a long time, but it still could not have cost much money to make. The game looks like the PS3 launch title it was supposed to be.
>>
>>385140478
>hacks take ten years to make a game
>it barely sells
>have to remake their only decent game to stay afloat
>sony shills defend them
>>
oh yeah this game happened
>>
>AHAHAHA
Obvious shitpost
>>
>>385137605
Are these ICO games actually good or just video games are art!! fags memeing?

These games always looked like they had really poor controls.
>>
>>385140095

the fuck are you talking about. it's a simple game with limited controls. nothing shitty about it, nothing to fix.
>>
>>385140735
Team Ico aren't remaking SOTC, it's Bluepoint Games
>>
>>385137605
I don't know, I actually liked it a lot. There's a real sense of companionship between Trico and the boy, the environments are both beautiful and unsettling, and the puzzles are pretty decent. It's also the first game that made me cry in a long time.
>>
I liked the game, but why does the Boy's face look somehow worse than Wander's did?
>>
>>385137605
TLG is a good game
Fight me
>>
>>385140843
A bit of both. They are pretty much just puzzle games with good presentation, not that much to them other than that.
>>
>>385139268
>>385139370
That's just an excuse to justify the game not being fun. It's shit on purpose when they could have easily found a way to make it fun.
>>
>>385140843
>These games always looked like they had really poor controls.
Those aren't games that you play for effective controls or things like that in the first place.
Are you interested in the director's personal vision and how he can put you inside it through the vydia medium? If not, there is no reason to play it, the gameplay here is a mean to reach what I described, not the end.
>>
File: 1454722972016.gif (446KB, 300x186px) Image search: [Google]
1454722972016.gif
446KB, 300x186px
>>385139370
>>
File: 3.jpg (133KB, 728x1023px) Image search: [Google]
3.jpg
133KB, 728x1023px
>>385137605
I liked it, reminded me of several of my childhood pets and immersed me greatly. Glad it broke a mill, wish it were a little less linear.
>>
I liked this game, I'm not going to let a board that plays overwatch tell me i have shit taste.
>>
>>385141159
I still wonder for what purpose. The original aesthetics are perfect as they are.
At least I hope it'll be 1080p 60 fps on on regular PS4, but somehow I doubt, since most likely Sony wants a native 4K game and that would mean 30 fps on Pro.
>>
>>385141572
i've read this before, remind me the name pls
>>
>targets a niche audience
>1.1 million sales

How is this bad? The game wasn't massively over-budgeted, and it wasn't marketed as something with mainstream appeal.
>>
>>385141514
You can play Rocket League instead of commenting about something you don't care and can't care about, you know.
>>
>>385138437
>It sold better then Ico and SotC combined

Where are the sales figures for these games? SotC got re-released in Greatest Hits format. I can't imagine its publisher would start another run unless it was hugely popular in the first place.
>>
>>385141590
The only time I see Overwatch threads is to sit on the game or post waifus.
>>
>>385137605
>took 10 years

literally how?
>>
>>385137605
It sold better than shadow of the colossus and ico you idiot
>>
>>385141514
I thought it was fun
>>
>>385141694
There's nothing wrong with shitting on a game for its poor mechanics
>>
>>385141782
They had to completely remake it
>>
>>385141921
The mechanics aren't poor. An Anon gave you a well reasoned explanation as to why he likes it but all you can do is go REEEE ITS SHIT
>>
>>385140454
>SoTC runs terribly despite the empty maps

Complex animations like Wander's wobbliness, animated hair strands and Agro's realistic tossing back and forth. Also, lots of load times handled behind the scenes as you move between regions of the map. Although the map looks seamlessly connected, it's really not. A lot of data is shuffled in and out of memory as you press ahead into different territories.
>>
>>385138440
I prefer it to Shadow, that may be due to the abysmal framerate Shadow had on the PS2 though. I've never played ICO.
>>
>>385137605
100 thousand sales for every year in development
>>
>>385141921
They already perfectly explained you why it's a not poor mechanics and why it's a very interesting one. There is everything wrong with this board in shitting on something only because you prefer a different and unrelated approach. Learn that things aren't shit only because they can't interest you, and you will make this shithole a slightly better place.
>>
1.100.001 because im still gong to buy it
>>
>>385142440
No you're not, if you haven't bought it already and aren't buying it this week, you're not buying it.
>>
>>385138780
Please tell me, what would be the purpose of creating an A.I to simulate a wild beast if it just responded to everything you did as if it were a machine? The entire point of the game was about developing a bond with an animal and learning it's nuances as one would with an actual animal you pleb. As far as I'm concerned the legitimate criticisms of the game are about the Camera (Slow as hell to respond and slow as fuck to move) and the performance (Still twice as good as shadow)
>>
>>385137605
1 million people are a lot of people
>>
>>385142440
It's on sale on PSN (in EU anyway)
>>
File: IMG_0294.jpg (110KB, 600x769px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0294.jpg
110KB, 600x769px
>it took ten years and two console generations to produce a game less than two percent of the install base gave a shit about

Jesus Christ
>>
>>385137690
This kind of shitposting isn't infuriating as much as it is confusing. How can you even pretend to be this retarded.
>>
>>385141782
By starting a game and then not developing it for the majority of that time.
>>
File: GalGohan.png (4MB, 2736x1824px) Image search: [Google]
GalGohan.png
4MB, 2736x1824px
>>385141667
Gal Goku's Son
>>
Studio Japan literally doesn't care about sales. Sure it would be better if it sold more, but they pump out games that sell 2 at the very best and Sony is fine with it
>>
Last Guardian falls under "Oh yeah this came out" syndrome. Same a that Mirror's Edge reboot.
>>
>>385143280
And Nioh. I had forgotten that one came out.
>>
>>385143439
sotc remake will probably be there too
btw, "oh yeah sotc remake is coming out" and looks like everyone forgot already
>>
>>385142707
Time is an investment, the more time you spend on making something, the better it should be to make back your investment. Spending 10 years on a game only for it to get outsold and outscored by this year's Fifa means your time was not spent well.
>>
>>385142152

I didn't say they don't know how to program or code. I said they don't know how to optimize their code to run well on any hardware.

They are good at making things work. They are bad at making things work smoothly
>>
Much better than ICO/SoTC sales, tho.
>>
>>385143769

I think you missed the point, Anon. You can't necessarily optimize the degree of content and fluid animation the game uses when it's running on hardware such as the PS2. The console has extremely limited resources.
>>
>>385141782
On and off development. Then they had to scrap the old game. In reality I think they made it in 2-3 years
>>
>>385143679
This is not true for when you make art though. Besides the game was put on freeze for several years. We don't truely know how many years the game was in full production.
>>
>>385143679
Most games get outsold by fifa though desu
>>
File: 1500685858498.jpg (97KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
1500685858498.jpg
97KB, 640x360px
>Microsoft cancels a game because it isn't multiplayer focused and costing them too much to develop
>W-well Scalebound looked like shit anyway...

>Sony continues to develop a niche title nearly ten years after it was announced and releases it knowing they will never recoup the cost
>FUCKING SONY UUGGGGHHHHHHH THEY ARE THE WORST
>>
>>385144464
Most those games don't take a full decade to develop.
>>
>>385137605
My only complain is the framerate on the regular PS4. I don't understand why you're saying that it was a failure. Ueda and Sony delivered what they promised.
>>
>>385144579
Yeah, Sony treated Ueda very well. I really wish they would have do the same with Kamiya and Suda.
>>
>>385138057
People who think these games were being made for the full duration of a long dev cycle are fucking retarded
>>
File: 1457547795452.jpg (31KB, 432x403px) Image search: [Google]
1457547795452.jpg
31KB, 432x403px
>>385138432
>It's a great game though
>>
>>385145059
Kamiya and Suda aren't first-party developers are they? Ueda left so now that TLG is done he probably won't be given that amount of lack. He said now wants to make an FPS like Half-Life 2
>>
Game's glitchy as shit, regardless of consolewars faggotry or whatever the OP is on about.
>>
>>385137907
It's funny how passing 1M sales is considered a failure now.
>>
Ico and SOTC didn't make money either, guess they're 1/10 games.
>>
>>385143679
That assumes that all 10 of those years were actually spent working on the game, and not leaving it shelved until people pestered you into finishing.
>>
>>385146454
>Kamiya and Suda aren't first-party developers are they?
Yeah, but Kamiya told that he tried to get first Sony's and then Microsoft's support to keep making Bayo games (and in general whatever he wants), but both slam the door in his face, and so he ended up making whatever he wants for Nintendo.
There has been nothing as explicit as that for Suda, but I have a feeling that it was a pretty similar case.
>>
>>385137605
>The Last Guardian
It actually came out? I thought it was still vaporware.
Thread posts: 100
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.