[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Advertisement | Home]

I wanna get into strategy both multiplayer and single player,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 3

File: civ6_screen_02.jpg (566KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
civ6_screen_02.jpg
566KB, 1920x1080px
I wanna get into strategy both multiplayer and single player, what are the must plays and the recommended online games?
>>
>>385112740
They're all pretty inexpensive. Just get a bunch and see which you like most.
>>
>>385112864
I kind of am interested in warhammers and shit, and they are expensive.
>>
>>385113196
Total War version? That's a well-known jew and it basically extorts the fans of the series, having high price points with very little content.
>>
>>385112740

RTS: Supreme Commander: Forged Alliance
4X: Civ 5 (make sure you get complete edition with all the DLC or it sucks)

Both are reasonably old, so they get very good steam sales quite often
>>
>>385112740
Dominions 4 is a good entry level game
>>
>>385112740
as for your op pic, go with 5, not 6
6 is a shit show and the devs have barely given any hint of improving it
>>
>>385112740
Civ 5 with all the expansions. One of the best games ever made
>>
>>385113840
And the Dawn of War games?
>>
they've rehashed total war about 20 times now. I liked medieval 1, but I don't think a developer should be able to exist just rereleasing the same shit over and over. cannot recommend
>>
>>385115727
disregard dawn of war, play company of heroes
>>
>>385115940
Disregard Company of heroes, play dawn of war
in all due honesty it depends on the settings you like, do you enjoy sci fi or historical settings?
>>
>>385116378
yeah and do you like good gameplay or simplified gameplay
>>
>>385116378
I'm drawn towards Warhammer, that's why I'm asking about the Warhammer games.
>>
Civ V multiplayer is unplayable. Constant resyncs with players not being able to do anything despite restarting.
>>
Oh yeah, I'm also interested in the X-Com series, though I've seen a lot of backlash because you can miss shots at 100% accuracy, is it very infuriating?
>>
>>385115446
>5 not 6
Nigga what
>>
>>385116539
Xcom 2 is awesome and you should play it. Missing high accuracy shots are a meme that everyone complains about. You can't miss a shot that says 100%, but once in a blue moon someone will miss an important shot that had 95% accuracy and get tilted into oblivion. It's never happened to me personally, 90 and above almost always hits. I can only recall one time where I got tilted because my whole squad took shots with 70%ish shots at this same target and all missed.

In any strategy game there's going to be rng, it's essential to their design really. It's just a matter of mitigating your risk as much as possible.

The hit chance complaints are a complete meme that retards on /v/ use as an excuse to how the game is "purely luck based" when it clearly isnt.
>>
>>385116440
Then buy dawn of war, be sure to get the expansions as the whole game has 9 factions and it is actually missing a bunch from the 40k lore, you can get mods to add new factions so that isn't really an issue at the end.

Other warhammer games are warhammer battlemarch, which is a weird little game, i enjoyed the story but it lacked unit variety, gameplay was similar to total war with the tabletop concept of points for MP, also you can just pirate it since the devs are long gone.

Battlefleet gothic is a cool game if you like the idea of space battles. No new updates for a long while so be cautious with it.
>>
>>385116527

This is true, but I'm sure 95% of civ players only play solo anyway. It's not a good game for multi.
>>
>>385117179
>Battlefleet gothic
I've actually put this one in my wishlist, what should I be cautious about? It seems dope, I like warhammer ships.
>>
4X
>Good genre
>>
>>385117334
well, it isn't having any updates, so the whole "we are adding ALL the 40k fleets" won't happen, probably.

Which is sad cause i want to play the game as well but no necron or tyranids is really depressing.

Oh speaking of 4x games, if you like high fantasy there is the age of wonders games, shadow wars is excellent, and i really enjoy it.

It's not a 4x but Dominions 4 is a cool game, lots of variety.
>>
>>385116437
>>385116378
>Implying that there's a contest between DoW and CoH
Play 1 match of dawn of war and tell me that it feels balanced and strategic.
>>
Don't even touch 4x. Full grand strategy (Paradox), Graph Games (Football Manager), Dwarf Fortress, Simulator Tycoon Games (Rimworld). There's also classic RTS With AoE titles still going decently strong.
>>
>>385117023
I thought it was generally panned as a disappointment and just said there's not much point to play it over the other new and original game.
>>
>Civ
>Online multiplayer ever
If I wanted to make turns fast, I'd rather have a full-blown RTS.
PBEM games though is the best Civ has to offer gameplay-wise only with the extreme drawback of finding even a single person dedicated enough to finish and make their turns on a reasonable interval.
>>
>>385112740
Baby's first strategy games: Civ IV, Total War (pick whatever historical period suits you), Paradox games (same as total war), TOTAL FUCKING ANNIHILATION
Mustplay: Homeworld, SMAC, Master of Magic, Age of Wonders, Master of Orion, Distant Worlds, Jagged Alliance 2, Steel Panthers, Combat Mission
Recommended online: Dongminions 4, Age of Wonders 3
>>385115586
>Civ 5
>One of the best games ever made
lol :'D
>>
>>385119032
most of those games require an experienced mind to appreciate and would be difficult as entry titles
>>
>>385119262
Hence baby's first category
>>
Must-Play:

Rise of Nations
Age of Mythology
Age of Empires
Rise of Legends
World in Conflict
Crusader Kings 2
CIV V
Anno 1404
Warcraft 3 (!!!!!!!)
Rimworld
>>
>>385115334
This also Distant Worlds
>>
>>385119543
I approve of this list
>>
>>385112740
You can begin by not posting shitty, empty shells of Civ 3
>>
>>385117618
In the context of this thread, yeah, it matters to OP if the MP is balanced.

With that said, noone cares about DoW MP, unless you are one of those faggots that likes DoW2.

Shit like synch kills is not ment to be competitive but fun.
>>
>>385119493
yeah i'm having a stroke missed that
>>
>>385117181
I secretly hope they take the Anno route and just ditch the multiplayer
>>
>>385119543
>Rise of Legends

Underrated as hell, good taste anon.
>>
>>385117023
What's the lowest difficulty you can enjoy without resorting to savescum.
Can you play so bad that the game is unwinnable, or you can alawys go back and "grind" low tier aliens?
>>
>>385120882
>mfw getting a superunit

Rise of legends is underrated AF, also sad there is no way of getting the heroes from the campaign in MP or something.
>>
>>385119739
But Civ 3 is an empty shell of 2 and Civ 4 is a better Civ than 2
>>
>>385119543
Tiberian Sun
>>
Thoughts on this game? I recently bought it, and I can't tell if I like it. I started with the campaign and it feels kinda weird.
>>
>>385112740
Hearts of iron 3 if you can stomach it, hearts of iron 4 if you want something a little easier to follow

Been playing a ton a hoi4 recently, I know it has it flaws, but there's just something so satisfying about taking over the world
There's also a bunch of great mods to switch things up with
>>
>>385121185
Disregarding the uplay shit and rather dumb online features like the voting, it's great. It is rather different, like a middle ground between RTS, TBS and city-builder. Campaign is pretty much glorified tutorial, as it slowly eases you into core mechanics one at a time. The real game is in skirmishes and multiplayer, with access to all three factions at the same time, that's where you'll see the real scope of economy, logistics, and politics that rule this game.
>>
>>385121185
I played that game a lot at launch, I really like the non-competitive play but if you play a hostile multiplayer or AI match the pvp naval combat gets pretty annoying and shallow
>>
>>385117393
>4x
>more attention than RTS
>says 4x is bad
>sales show otherwise

B T F O
>>
Are there any games like anno set in the world war 1 era?
>>
File: ,rkl.png (39KB, 384x313px) Image search: [Google]
,rkl.png
39KB, 384x313px
>>385121674
Did you forget what website you're on or something?
>>
OP here, so I think I'll be getting the Xcoms first, are there good mods?
>>
>>385123702

long war
Thread posts: 51
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.