[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Aging Video Games

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 84
Thread images: 9

File: 14795273689.jpg (48KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
14795273689.jpg
48KB, 320x240px
What is the average lifespan of a video game?
>>
Infinite through emulation
>>
Video games don't age, you're just a casual.
>>
>>385098067
this, only thing that might make a difference is stretching a low res game to higher res,nbut through emulation, you don't need to do that.
plus people usually make mods/fixes and stuff to modernize older games to newer screens, other than display issue, actual graphics aren't that important, if a game was good enough at one time, then it's good.
>>
>The lifespan of Mask ROMs is unknown
>>
>>385098064
>>385098248
You can try to salvage the graphics with emulator sure, but emulation can't really fix the gameplay/controls/camera which is usually the worst part of old games, no one is going to make a mod for an N64 game.
>>
Depends if they're at the start of its respective technological generation or end.

Eg. for 2d, SNES games still hold up, but have fun with Coleco/Atari.
>>
>>385098414
>implying gameplay needs fixing
yeaaaaahhhhhhhh... fucking casual
>>
>>385098414
>no one is going to make a mod for an N64 game.
There's always KB&M mods for some N64 games.
>>
File: 61SKhWRnRL._SL1500_.jpg (116KB, 1500x1173px) Image search: [Google]
61SKhWRnRL._SL1500_.jpg
116KB, 1500x1173px
>>385098503
this, when it comes to controls, you literally couldn't have a wider variety than playing on pc, you can use game cube controller, Wii u pro controllers dual shock3/4 or Xbox controllers..
keyboard and mouse, and of course some of the other less used variants like pic related.
>>
File: tumblr_o1xp5mYJEu1qbg9oio1_1280.jpg (172KB, 1072x1283px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o1xp5mYJEu1qbg9oio1_1280.jpg
172KB, 1072x1283px
Video games don't age. Video games are viewed as they are. Ocarina of time was a good game and still is, no matter how old me or you get.
>>
>>385098503
>thinks that suffering through bad gameplay with crippled controls makes you hardcore
Whatever floats your boat.
>>
they don't age, you can adjust to old games just fine if you put some mental effort into them.
>>
>>385097993
Games don't age standards just change
>>
>>385098584
>thinks that old games should be changed to become like handholding modern "games"
whatever floats your boat m8
>>
>>385098668
have you played goldeneye with a keyboard mouse? even dual sticks?

its a hell of a lot better. n64 shooters are probably the only example of this though
>>
>>385097993
what do you mean lifespan? do games somehow stop existing ?
>>385098067
this, so much this.
one of my favourite games is from 1993
>>
NES is really the only major post crash system that really had games that has gameplay features that wasn't completely ironed out. PSX issues tend to be more on the side of a lack of a second analog stick which made 3D action games an issue in some bits but overall still from what Japanese companies learned from the NES was really enough to set a base on how all over games function.
>>
>>385098724
the physical controller isn't the same thing as gameplay you dumb shit
>>
>>385098668
>thinks fluent controls and gameplay are "handholding"
(You)
>>
>>385098414
if the gameplay was solid when it was made, why would it be shitty later on?
>>
File: 1500669015542.jpg (543KB, 1000x773px) Image search: [Google]
1500669015542.jpg
543KB, 1000x773px
>>385098790
I just recently played metroid 2, game was pretty fluent and the gameplay was still amazing.
no excuses for being a casual.
>>
>>385098785
>emulation cant fix gameplay/CONTROLS/camera
>crippling controls
calm down kid
>>
>>385098790
neo /v/ regards anything that isn't railroaded as "bad controls"
>>
File: SA.png (29KB, 625x233px) Image search: [Google]
SA.png
29KB, 625x233px
>>385098248
>if a game was good enough at one time, then it's good.
HA HA HA HA HA
>>
>>385098798
Cause new age gamers think old games sucked based on graphics alone, when it's far from the contrary. In fact, old games have superior game design that is severely lacking in modern games. For modern tech with so much power, games nowadays sure lack a lot of use of it.
>>
>>385098798
Because new games come out and we raise our standards, we get used to more advanced gameplay. You dummy.

>if the graphics were good when it was made, why would it be shitty later on?
>>
Ocarina of Time and Super Mario 64 have aged like shit, like every 3D game for the PS1 or the N64
>>
>>385098896
Ign is proof that the entire journalist team either aged or got quickly replaced.
>>
>>385098936
No, they are still fun.
>>
>>385098896
2 different reviewers, you can literally get wildly mixed reviews from different branches of IGN for the same game, literally means nothing.
>>
>>385098926
>advanced gameplay

A lot of gameplay is more casual than advanced these days. I wouldn't exactly called modernized GUI overlays as advanced anything, considering that's the only thing advanced in comparison to pre-HD or even the snes.
>>
>>385098896
>Arthur Gies
As if anyone would take seriously the opinion of a retard who literally proved on recorded video that he CAN'T PLAY GAMES.
>>
>>385098989
If you're braindead, maybe
>>
File: 1428289906961.png (29KB, 247x256px) Image search: [Google]
1428289906961.png
29KB, 247x256px
>>385099076
See, I can sort of see someone making an argument that SM64 is basically just a tech demo, but Ocarina of Time is a pretty solid adventure game. The controls are good and the story is simple, while giving you interesting dungeons to explore and music that fits each area it is used in. Considering Mario was always just a set piece for platfoming, SM64 did what it set out to do, and no Mario game after it has followed in its footsteps mostly due to the casualization of Nintendo's development teams.
>>
File: sa2.png (30KB, 618x238px) Image search: [Google]
sa2.png
30KB, 618x238px
>>385098957
>>385099012
>>385099049
>>
>>385098067
Videogames might not age... but as new-and-improved options become available, a game that once held unilateral appeal may lose it.
For example Yie Ar Kung-Fu was once the best fighting game in the world by a massive margin, but it became pretty outdated by World Warrior and Mortal Kombat 1 which were eventually outdated by Super Turbo. Aside from nostalgia shit, nobody talks about or plays Yie Ar Kung-Fu, World Warrior, or MK1... but people will still occasionally will fire up Super Turbo.

When I was young I remember people literally lining up to play MK1 at my local arcade to play it and espousing how awesome it was. Now if you played it, you'd have to bottle up your laughter at how shitty it is compared to even MK3 Ultimate, modern NRS gamed, let alone shit like Ultra SFIV and Rev2.
>>
>>385099239
And the entire consumerbase in general, jesus christ. Gamers have really gotten shitty over the years. Granted I wouldnt put SA2 up there as a good game myself, but as far as the general populace, good Lord.
>>
>>385097993
Good game is good forever
>>
>>385097993
There is no end. Why would the experience nowadays be different from a few years ago? Does a game suddenly get unfun?
>>
>>385099259
That's based entirely on personal experience. If your first game is Kung Fu, that will be your first experience with a fighting game. At that moment, it's the best. And as you play more and find ones that overtake that experience, then you adapt that one as the best. You're allowed to have opinions but dont assume those opinions are assumed by everyone else.
>>
>>385099239
I refer you back to my same argument here >>385099012
>>
>>385098926
>more advanced gameplay
If history is anything to go by, gameplay does not advance in a linear fashion, Hegel.

The quintessence of the modern AAA game is Uncharted and Batman Arkham. Would you call the gameplay of these games complex or "advanced" in any way? Even something basic like classic Megaman games have much more nuance to them. The reason people these days have problems getting into older games is that back then, not everything was homogenized to play the exact same for the sake of accessibility and reaching a wider audience.
>>
>>385098067
Consider this:
GAME is a revolutionary video game. First of it's kind and genre defining. Then GAME 2 comes out, we'll say 10 years later. It improves upon everything GAME did. It controls better, it looms better, it sounds better and it has more to offer. Did GAME age? No, but there is little reason to play GAME anymore unless you're a huge fan of GAME 2. GAME has died.
>>
>>385099497
>The reason people these days have problems getting into older games is that back then, not everything was homogenized to play the exact same for the sake of accessibility and reaching a wider audience.
I never understood why no one ever gets this part. If people go back and play old games and say they don't like them, then yeah, that's because you clearly weren't the target audience for that kind of game. It speaks volumes about today's climate.
>>
>>385099360
The opinions I made ARE held by everyone in this case though; MK1, World Warrior, Kung-Fu are all garbage compared to later games -- even though at one point each was considered the ultimate in the genre. The games haven't changed, but everyone else has, and this doesn't mayter if you played Yie Ar or those earlier games first, or if you played them tonorrow.
>>
>>385098896
>>385099239
The 360/PS3 versions are a port of the PC version (which was mixed at the time) which was a port of the Dreamcast version. Granted the dreamcast versions are a bit rough around the edges today it's nowhere near as bad as people make it out to be now
>>
>>385099539
>GAME has died.
In your head it has.
>>
>>385099624
>The opinions I made ARE held by everyone in this case though
Except claiming everyone is naive thinking. Because the majority of the people in this world never played any game, whether new or old. You'll have to be very specific about who this everyone is. Everyone who plays games now? Which age group? Which region of gamers?
>>
>>385097993
It depends what you mean by that. As a general answer it's too hard to say really, varies from genre to genre and title to title.
>>
>>385099539
Maybe GAME has distinct levels that are not in GAME 2? Games are more than the sum of their parts, and if you break them down to their mechanics you might miss their level design.

You don't ridicule people for reading Shakespeare's earlier works just because he is better with words later on.
>>
>>385099626
DC version is by far the best, all others were downgraded
You can finally mod the PC version to be close to DC though
>>
>>385099669
My claim of everyone is the group that have played all the games mentioned juxtaposed against modern fighting games -- basically anyone who can make an informed opinion.
>>
>>385099746
does it fix the shoddy collision detection or is it just a graphical mod that fixes the lighting?
>>
>>385097993
Good stuff is always good. Bad stuff is always bad. Age has nothing to do with it. If someone didn't manage to create a usable interface in the 90's, it simply means that designer is an idiot, not that the game is old. Same for controls, graphics and anything else.
>>
>>385099791
Your claim is still naive af because now you just pretty much said that every game from the 80s to now holds that opinion. So good luck going out and doing a census on who thinks what, especially those are now deceased.
>>
>>385097993
Videogames are an extremely disposable medium.
Only great games that don't rely on dated gimmicks or graphics can be truly timeless.
>>
>>385099880
My evidence is basically zero claims stating that Yie Ar/WW/MK1 are the best or even good within the fighting genre, existing today. My personal anecdotes come from everyone I know within my age bracket at any weekly, major, sharing the opinion. My final piece of evidence was MK1's overwhelming popularity and being considered the "greatest in the world" is now not played anywhere for competition.
If you want to get that specific, than no claim about anything subjective can ever be made without rounding up every single person and getting them to agree.
>>
>>385100306
>My personal anecdotes come from everyone I know within my age bracket
So you're a naive retard. Thanks for finally realizing it. Don't say shit like "everyone" when you really mean yourself. Remember the difference. It can save you from looking like an idiot.
>>
>>385100306
>than no claim about anything subjective can ever be made
You can always make a subjective claim, just realize that said claim is coming from you and not other people's mouths.
>>
>>385100460
I've travelled all over North America and even gone to Europe for majors, met thousands of people, and not one has ever said Yie-Ar/WW/MK1 still hold up.
Like I said, if you want to get that needlessly specific then you can't even prove games don't age or make any claim ever without having absolute evidence of it.
>>
>>385100696
>then you can't even prove games don't age
I can because a game remains in its state indefinitely, as long as 1 copy of it exists. A person ages. Iron ages. Cells age. A video game does not. Nothing about it changes.
>>
>>385100696
>and not one has ever said Yie-Ar/WW/MK1 still hold up.

And people haven't said anything about them because they are too young or too obscure to have played that game. Kung Fu and MK1 was games enjoyed by my age group, which you are likely not part of. If you are, then you're just a neckbeard loser who believes he understands the culture when he knows jack shit.
>>
>>385100773
Nobody is talking about literal aging though? They're talking about a game's appeal feeling antiquated or dated? How could ine be so utterly retarded to niss that point?
>>
>>385098414
>gameplay ages

Anyone who actually believes this is legitimately retarded.
>>
>>385100863
Probably as retarded as adding mistyped words into your post
>>
File: image.gif (582KB, 500x405px) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
582KB, 500x405px
>>385097993
REMINDER: VIDEO GAMES DO NOT AGE. YOU AGE. IT WAS YOU WHO CHANGED.
>>
>>385100840
If you actually ever go to a tournament there are quite a few people in their 30s though that have played these games. And if you had read my previous replies, I said I was THERE when people were literally lining up to play MK1 in arcade, and I was. There's nothing obscure about WW/MK1 and anyone that has ever really explored a 41-in-1 has played Kung-Fu.
>>
>>385101002
>If you actually ever go to a tournament
holy shit Im talking with a literal spurg. fuck off with your shitty anecdotal evidence shit. Stop using everyone. Just admit you mean yourself cause it's subjective. Even me saying you're a dumbass is subjective. The difference is if others will also call you a dumbass. But I can never claim everyone thinks you're a dumbass. Even though you are.
>>
>>385100923
No, it's much more retarded actually. You're stupid you thought people were talking about digital literally aging like a handicapped person.
Anyways, you can't refute my supposition and I can't prove it. Since nobody plays those old shitty games (even though Darkstalkers and Super Turbo still see play), I guess I'll go on believing and seeing that claim expressed 100% of the time objectively.
>>
>>385101142
>Anyways, you can't refute my supposition and I can't prove it. Since nobody plays those old shitty games (even though Darkstalkers and Super Turbo still see play), I guess I'll go on believing and seeing that claim expressed 100% of the time objectively.
That's called living in your own shitty world and is why you're a neet.
>>
>>385097993
Gameplay doesn't have an expiration date, a good game released 20 years ago is good now and will still be good in another 20 years.

Some things like graphics, controls, or certain design trends can become dated, but anyone who isn't a casual tard who bases a game's quality off of how pretty it is should be able to adjust to anything provided that the core gameplay is good.
>>
>>385101201
With how much retro shit gets pushed these days, none of the younger folk better not be saying the graphics turn them off when they are swallowing literal indie graphics. I can understand a destiny faggot saying the graphics suck, but it's downright contradicting if I find anyone else saying that, especially from the PC crowd.
>>
>>385101095
I mean the thousands of people I've met over the years, and of course the actual evidence:
>MK1 was literally considered the best fighting game ever made and people literally lined-up to play it -- now nobody plays it.
I guess I have the one objective piece of evidence youngster, but we can agree to disagree since you're having a wee tantrum ;:^)
>>
>>385101340
fuck off tourney fag
>>
>>385101201
>implying bad controls can't fuck up a game
>>
>>385101172
>He's seething and projecting his personal insecurities.
I still play to this day at majors, own my own house, have a good job, lift, and have a good life... Anyways keep being bitter about small time stuff, anon.
>>
Either OoT HAS aged poorly, or it was never that good to begin with.

Which is it?
>>
>>385101447
Neither
>>
>>385101447
Both.
>>
>>385101540
But it looks like shit, runs at about 12 fps and the combat is dated as fuck even compared with something like Kingdom Hearts. There is no way in hell OOT can be objectively considered "muh greatest game" no matter how much nostalgia is involved.
>>
>>385101670
The only thing that looks like shit is your face
Kill yourself
>>
File: 1485214438485.jpg (119KB, 850x850px) Image search: [Google]
1485214438485.jpg
119KB, 850x850px
>>385100773
>iron ages, but software does not.
Elements don't "age", as in there is no difference in properties between "old" and newly made iron/gold/carbon/helium as long as you keep them from changing state/reacting with surroundings.
For example, if you consider iron as aged for oxidating. That is no different from considering software as aged when it corrupts.
>>
>>385100773
Compatibility with current OSs and hardware degrades over time.
Thread posts: 84
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.