[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

These games are extremely underappreciated, i was looking for

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4

These games are extremely underappreciated, i was looking for a cool 90s rpg to play that's similar to Underworld (simulation instead of dice rolls, real-time combat, smooth movement instead of grid-based) except with an overworld instead of brown caves, and maybe a party system, was disappointed to find that only games that satisfy this are Arena and Daggerfall which aren't really good, was hoping to find something with charm akin to Wizardry and Might & Magic.

Ultima Underworld games should get the System Shock: Enhanced Edition treatment.
>>
I was on the other end of that issue a few months ago myself, looking for a good grid and turn based dungeon crawler besides grimrock. I started getting the itch after playing Severed and remembering the simple joys of Doom RPG, and I still couldn't find any other modern takes on the genre. A crying shame
>>
Try /vr/ if you're looking for an actual discussion about UU. On /v/ these threads get swallowed by page 10 very quickly in favor of blacked, eceleb and pol threads. /vr/ is a lot slower but you're more likely to see the thread survive and generate actual video game discussion.
>>
I really like Ultima Underworlds too, actually especially the fact that they're completely in a dungeon. It makes the atmosphere thicker. These games pull off the "you never really know what's behind the next corner" thing well.

It's a shame that Underworlds seem to get mention very rarely here. Sure they're really clunky but anyone who likes that Looking Glass Studios style of design should be able to enjoy them after getting used to the controls.
>>
File: doitmm3.jpg (155KB, 640x428px) Image search: [Google]
doitmm3.jpg
155KB, 640x428px
>>385096010
at least there isn't exactly a shortage of these games in general, there are a lot of them from the 90s.
>>
The only thing really similar to UU is arx fatalis
>>385096010
there are a bunch of indie games on steam they can be hit and miss though.
The quest is a good one
as for something super simple like doom rpg try emulating orcs and elves for the DS it's basically doomRPG medieval edition (same team)
>>
>>385095903
Check out "Underworld Ascendant"

tldr; Some of the original devs are working on a new underworld
>>
>>385096568
>the quest
Oh shit that's on steam? I thought it was a phone-only game. Thanks for the heads up anon, I'll get that and shove that DS game on a flashcart
>>
>>385096627
ahh yeah that thing it doesn't look great...
>>385096657
yeah it's been on steam for over a year now I suppose
>>
Legends of Grimrock, op
>>
>>385096720
>ahh yeah that thing it doesn't look great...
Still in pretty early development - things change a lot. Not saying you should hold your breath, but there could be some hope yet.
>>
>>385096753
It's not really the sort of game that OP wants, UUs are closer to first person RPGs than dungeon crawlers
>>
>>385096828
>Still in pretty early development
>estimated delivery Nov 2016
yeah, nah. It should have been done by now but there is almost no info on it at all
>>
>>385096828
desu i too don't have a lot of fate in it. i wished Looking Glass Studios 2.0 (aka Otherside Entertainment) would've came up with new ips instead System Shock 3 and Underworld: Ascendant which i highly doubt would live up to their predecessors' greatness today.
>>
>>385096939
actually I should say what little info there is doesn't make it seem very good
they also pumped money into a spinoff mobile game called underworld overlord
>>
File: 10[1].jpg (44KB, 640x400px)
10[1].jpg
44KB, 640x400px
>>385095903
Lands of Lore 2. The cinematics are incredibly cheesy green-screened actors, but the game itself is fucking beautiful. Everything you find feels special and the maps are full of variety and secrets. And don't even try to play it with strafe or mouse look, tank controls are the only way to appreciate it.
>>
Paper Sorcerer has smooth movement, but it has turn based combat
>>
>>385095903
Desperabis. Literally nobody knows that game.
>>
>>385097152
yeah come to think of it lands of lore 2 and 3 are exactly what OP wants
>>
>>385097019
Every time an old legend tries to make games again it just seems to fail more or less. I wish some new developer would try to make something in the vein of Looking Glass games but I guess that kind of game development is very demanding, considering the necessary levels of simulation and so on. Just not worth it probably.
>>
File: zork map.jpg (478KB, 2535x1616px) Image search: [Google]
zork map.jpg
478KB, 2535x1616px
>>385097203
>Desperabis
My nigga. Also the Ishar games are pretty good. Just use CD version for Ishar 3.
>>
>>385096010
Dungeon Crawl?
>>
>>385096349
wasn't there a kikestarter for some spiritual successor to UU? What ever happened to that?
>>
>>385097380
>because they always ride in their past glory which most probably have been imitated countless times it's no longer cool anymore, instead of making something new and original.
>>
Are Ultima Underworld 1 and 2 worth the full price on GOG? How long are they?
>>
>>385098137
>Are Ultima Underworld 1 and 2 worth the full price on GOG?
Yes

>How long are they?
15-20 hours each? There are some puzzles that might make them take longer.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.