[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

DPADS

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 14

What makes a good dpad?

What's /v/'s favorite dpad?

Do dpads still matter for modern titles, or have analog sticks taken over for most gamepads?
>>
Fuck me, all I want is a rerelease of the Sega Saturn controller, or at least something really close it, for PS4. I just play better with it with my fightan games.
>>
File: 519SO1gM-ZL._SX522_.jpg (23KB, 522x313px) Image search: [Google]
519SO1gM-ZL._SX522_.jpg
23KB, 522x313px
>>385092979
I'm sure you've seen this already but I'm guessing the dpad isnt to your liking
>>
File: main_f.jpg (211KB, 900x667px) Image search: [Google]
main_f.jpg
211KB, 900x667px
>>385093059
I was actually thinking about picking up one of those, or pic related, considering that they're highly reviewed fightpads. Which one is better?

Also, the DS4 Dpad sucks shit.
>>
>>385093059
>>385093442
>Here's your controller bro
>>
>>385092480
You just posted the best dpad. Also all controllers should have at least a decent dpad regardless of any other factors. Because there is always going to be at least something that will put a great dpad to use.

Of course it goes without saying that a great dpad is a must for 2D games. A shit dpad makes them nearly unplayable.
>>
>>385092480
Pretty much just being the Wii u pro controller dpad or the Wii classic controller dpad. It needs to be a cross, it needs to be matte but still smooth, it needs to be simple and clean, and it needs to either click or make kind of a "tok" sound.
>>
>>385093442
>Which one is better?
I prefer the new one for the symmetrical design, had your pic related but really wasn't digging that design having the left side being like that
>>
The best dpad is WASD.
>>
File: Wii_classic_controller.jpg (2MB, 3640x2020px) Image search: [Google]
Wii_classic_controller.jpg
2MB, 3640x2020px
1. Some resistance
2. Can't press down middle, so diagonals isn't accidental.
3. Travel distance isn't too far. Its very notable on 360 dpads and dreamcast. Or 2000s logitech stuff
>>
>>385093674
Get the FC5, the FC4 feels disgusting to hold in your hand.
>>
>>385093962
It's a shame that Nintendo holds those directional corners on the analogue controllers. They're great and should be an industry standards.
>>
File: Nintendo_dpad_patent.png (40KB, 2320x3408px) Image search: [Google]
Nintendo_dpad_patent.png
40KB, 2320x3408px
>>385094128
Their patents expired ages ago, same is true of SEGA's trademarks(japan and their exported patents).
That nobody wants to make good dpads is another issue entirely.
>>
>>385094257
That's their cross shaped d-key patent. I'm talking about the 8 corners on analogue.
>>
>>385092480
You posted it. Saturn and Mega Drive D-pads are the greatest. Being able to press a diagonal as easily as any other direction opens up a whole new level of control.

>Do dpads still matter for modern titles,
Well I guess you gotta use something for the menus. Sticks are awful for that sort of thing. A controller without a D-pad is without a doubt useless shit. A controller without analogue is still a good controller for many games.
>>
File: SNES_replaced_dpad.jpg (659KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
SNES_replaced_dpad.jpg
659KB, 1920x1080px
>>385094726
post diagrams
>>
File: Gamepad_saturn.jpg (21KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
Gamepad_saturn.jpg
21KB, 500x375px
>>385093059
>>385093442
Why can't SEGA release something like that? Classic saturn design and 90% of the same idea
Or do they, but its JAP only?
>>
File: 7948025_sd.jpg (44KB, 642x430px) Image search: [Google]
7948025_sd.jpg
44KB, 642x430px
This is unironically my favorite d-pad
>>
>>385096990
A lot of people hate on the Xbox One for various reasons, but in all honesty, the D-pad is actually very good. Minimal travel and requires just the right amount of force to click.

It's no Saturn D-pad, for sure, but it's definitely the best one for a modern platform.
>>
File: darkstalkers pad.jpg (34KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
darkstalkers pad.jpg
34KB, 500x375px
I want this to be made again.
>>
File: sega-d-pad.jpg (42KB, 691x420px) Image search: [Google]
sega-d-pad.jpg
42KB, 691x420px
>>385092480
>What makes a good dpad?
being the saturn d-pad jokes aside, rocking action, good diagonals, well segregated inputs
>What's /v/'s favorite dpad?
Saturn
>Do dpads still matter for modern titles, or have analog sticks taken over for most gamepads?
does the game require digital or analog inputs? That's basically it
>>
Saturn pad is tied with the vita d-pad for me.
The switches are absolute top tier. Tactile but not resistant. Apart from that, the small size makes it really easy to rock any way, with enough resistance that I don't accidentally trigger it, or have any trouble rocking it.
I might mod a saturn pad to put some good switches into it. I'll probably take the original circuit board out and make a new one with switches and a USB encoder.
Would anyone be interested in seeing that? I'd post results and schematics.
>>
>>385098919
funny you say that, I'm making a USB encoder for my Saturn pad right now. I don't want to modify the pad itself thought
>>
>>385099281
What're you using to make it?
I've used an arduino as a saturn encoder, and that lets me use it on both a pc and ps3, super easy stuff, but I want to make the best controller I can, hence why I want to put a permanant new board in it.
>>
>>385092480
Original DS had the best D-pad.
>It was clicky and precise
>Just about everything after that was trash
>>
File: sat_schem.png (64KB, 1712x986px) Image search: [Google]
sat_schem.png
64KB, 1712x986px
>>385099703
the arduino libraries sucks monkey cocks in term of speed, so for now I am using an atmega328P with this software library for the USB: https://www.obdev.at/products/vusb/index.html
For now I have finished the controller reading software, my next move would be to test if everything works okay on serial, and finally write the USB part (which is just the USB descriptors for a HID).
Later I wanted to try and get an Atmega with hardware USB and check if it makes it more responsive, especially since I want it to support two controllers and possibly the 3d controller.
However I am way too busy for this week
>>
No meme best D-Pads here we go.

Sega Saturn
The fucking 3DO
Xbox Elite
>>
>>385099749
How did they have such an amazing pad for the original, and then such an awful one for the lite?
It's like the reverse of the psp. I hated that d-pad, but they decided to actually have switches and plus shape on vita, pretty much like the original DS.
>>
>>385092480
analog doesn't feel good for sidescrollers and navigating menus

I tried: nes, snes, n64, gamecube, ps1/2/3/4, xbox one, genesis 6 button version

I don't really remember well the other d-pads aside from the ps ones, got to hold a xbox one controller but not play with it, hated how the buttons and d-pad felt
>>
>>385100175
Thanks a lot for that. On further thought, I might buy one of those cheap saturn pc knock off controllers and mod switches onto that. I won't be able to find switches to go with the shoulder buttons without killing an original pcb, but a knock off I can gut without worrying.
Are you posting his saturn stuff anywhere? I'd be interested to see if it works out and wouldn't mind having a tinker myself.
>>
>>385100453
I hear people like the xbone dpad, but I think that's just because the 360 sucked so bad.
For some reason it takes way too much pressure to press. It doesn't feel like much, but you notice it after using the pad for not long. They did the same with the shoulder buttons, feel harder to press than the 360 controller's shoulders.
Of course, I could be insane, but I'm pretty sure that's how the bone controller is.
>>
>>385100474
>On further thought, I might buy one of those cheap saturn pc knock off controllers and mod switches onto that.
That might be a good idea, but the d-pad mechanism might be shit. Still if you put microswitches in it you already get rid of the membrane which tend to be a very shitty part in knockoffs. In the worst case you can use the knockoff board with the real plastic shell and put aside the original PCB. Added bonus you can stuff everything inside a single controller.
>Are you posting his saturn stuff anywhere? I'd be interested to see if it works out and wouldn't mind having a tinker myself.
If you want I can post the code I have on pastebin or some shit, but mind it I even didn't try to compile it properly yet. However I might make a tread on lainchan sometime next week. Boards are slower there which is noice for stuff like this
>>
File: Gamecube_edgy_Zelda_controller.jpg (62KB, 588x360px) Image search: [Google]
Gamecube_edgy_Zelda_controller.jpg
62KB, 588x360px
>>385100453
>analog doesn't feel good
Thats because there is nothing to hit. Half the reason Gamecube controllers is so high tier, is that you get a nice feedback from slamming it into the gate holes.

On most other controllers you might get a weak clack, your grip is not enabling hard claks, and then it slides around if you fucked up angling the thumb.
>>
>>385100827
What board?
I periodically check diy over there.
>>
>>385103224
I'll post it in /diy/, probably beginning of next week
probably some days later because I am lazy
>>
>>385103530
If I whip up a pcb for my project I'll make sure to put it over there then.
>>
File: Gamepad_wingman.jpg (19KB, 440x383px) Image search: [Google]
Gamepad_wingman.jpg
19KB, 440x383px
>>385100289
There is a lot of early 2000s gamepads with good dpads.
Paired with square analogs, and directinput drivers.
>>
Does the ps4 have the worst fucking dpad either or is it just me?
>>
>>385104263
Feels way too mushy for its own good. The 360, however, takes the title for the worst dpad.
>>
>>385093059
Over 120h on Tekken 7 with it, best purchase i've done in years, this controller is godlike.
>>
>>385092480
Dual switches. Shitty dpads (360) don't have it.
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.