[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Game Critique/Review General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 525
Thread images: 64

File: 1492557741522.png (120KB, 1100x632px) Image search: [Google]
1492557741522.png
120KB, 1100x632px
What do you think of long form review content like pic related makes?

Who is /ourguy/?

What do you look for in a review/critique?

Also, I think it would be a fun exercise to try and make one of these, although I know no one cares about my opinion. Anyone tried?
>>
File: photo.jpg (55KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
photo.jpg
55KB, 900x900px
Ok ill start because Only I care.

I like JA way more than matthew, mostyl because that irish fuck's voice is grating. JA is a little monotone but i can forgive him because his "prose" is nice to listen to.

I also appreciate the way his video lines up with what hes saying. I was watching a DWTerminator review and its basically random footage over him talking. I get that video editing might take a awhile, but whats the point of showing game footage if it's unrelated to what he's talking about.
>>
I dislike anderson because his taste regarding DS3 is all kinds of wrong.

Only a fucking idiot could ever think Midir is better than Gael.
>>
Matthewmatosis is an artfag, JA has shitty tastes. Just watch gdc videos instead of this shit.
>>
I honestly dislike "Video Essay Videogame Review 40+ minute long diatribe breaking down a game or some videogame trope" videos more than let's plays. It's just so smug and self-important seeming while being just as pointless. At least the Lets Players cut their videos into 10 minute chunks for ad revenue.

Just play the video games and make your own opinions.
>>
>>385077909
>hates Jews and blacks
Wait, what? When did this happen?
>>
File: 18627699.jpg (37KB, 285x475px) Image search: [Google]
18627699.jpg
37KB, 285x475px
>>385079298
I think it's just because he has a hard on for dragons.

>pic related was actually okay, but most people will call it too simple

He got a lot of flak for his BOTW review too, because he didn't praise it and call it a perfect 10/10.
>>
>>385079583
I think it's because he cried about BioShock Infinite not using the nigger
>>
>>385077909
>>385079686
See my problem is that these videos are hour long rants that I could literally get off of /v/.

That video Anderson did on BOTW for example, I learned literally nothing because not only are they surface level complaints you could get from playing the game, but I had seen all of it on v.

Like do these people come here cause there was not a single original thought in that video.
>>
File: 1436301511457.jpg (214KB, 1440x810px) Image search: [Google]
1436301511457.jpg
214KB, 1440x810px
>>385077909
>Jews and blacks
If anything, thats a plus. Stop trying to turn this site into reddit 2.0.
>>
>>385079876
We're on a board with hundreds of people voicing their opinions on games. Many of them are deliberately seeking out elements to shit on. It's inevitable that you will see the same complaints, especially for a massive game like botw.
>>
>>385077909
Mathewmatosis is better in that he can be more precise in his statements and analysis of a game while joseph anderson can mainly from my experience only explain things in the context of how they feel. I dont feel as if joseph is really all that deep of a man in his ability to perceive, i still like him however and by no means am I saying mathew is great in comparison.

I just feel like it can disappoint newcomers to joesphs channel by trying to brand him as the new mathewmatosis

Joseph is wonderful with reviews such as what remains of edith finch and soma, while I find his critique of the souls series to be lacking for the most part, however this isnt to say they are bad by todays standards, he is much better than a common video game reviewer.
>>
>>385079876
So deeper analysis of game mechanics or dev intention would make these better in your opinion? Or do you want a shorter video?
What would make the average /v/ user actually want to watch something like this?

genuinely curious.
>>
What's with all the Joseph Anderson shills?
>>
>>385079876
I'll be honest I dont watch them because I think they are great, I just watch them when im bored and can't think of anything else.

People that overvalue review and analysis are often people that try to justify why you cant have fun with something even though entertainment is subjective.
>>
>>385077909

>go into matthew's stream
>he asks where everyone's from
>i say i'm from the uk
>'hold on, there's a dirty fucking prod bastard in my chat?' he yells out
>entire chat starts spamming 'tiocfaidh ar la' in all caps
>tells me ulster will be free once again and bans me

I really like the guy, but what the fuck is his deal?
>>
>>385080147
>JA's Dark Souls video
>breakdown of the game level by level, encounter by encounter looking at the individual elements, how well they work and how well they come together
>Matthew's Dark Souls video
>hurrr this door shortcut isn't immersive enough
>>
Both are ok but Mark Brown is better
>>
>>385080147
more precise meaning he can better articulate his point or he's better at providing evidence/comparisons?

>>385080484
kek
>>
>>385080517
agreed, i like how he goes through almost every detail, even it it does make the video drawn out/slow pacing. Also he jumps between story and gameplay discussion and that keeps meinterested.
>>
>>385080517
Good thing I'm not really commenting on the dark souls videos, most of what could have been said about souls was to be said in demons souls so trying to rehash that for dark souls would just be retarded.

What came to mind when i thought of his skill wasnt the souls shit as i only cared about the demons souls video, i more cared for the mario games he had reviewed.

>>385080578
Articulation and a bit of the second.
>>
>>385080189
Eh I'm sure for the "normie" crowd they're decent videos but for someone who actually can see a game's flaws at face value, these analysis videos don't do anything for me. They're just repeating what I already know, and I can still enjoy a game knowing it's flaws.
>>
>>385080517
>>385080726
To be clear before you start replying, when i made comment on josephs videos on dark souls it wasnt that i was comparing them to mathews.
>>
Anderson is pretty much quantity over quality.
>>
>>385081028
Your mom is quantity over quality.
>>
>>385079686
He got flak because his criticisms were mostly shit and inconsistent.
>>
>>385080746
Yeah i guess normies are the main target audience. But reeducation of normies is essential

>>385081028
I like the longer videos more than say a ten minute video, feels less rushed and allows the creator to give more details. Also >>385081389
>>
>>385077909
I like both. I like Matthew's taste in games more though.
>>
I'd just like to take the time to point out that Matthew's life gem rant is retarded.

>all healing in Souls is made trivial via farming grass/humanity/gems/embers or simply speccing for miracles/regen
>tries to imply there is health tension in DS1 with 10 flasks available early, 20 with pinwheel rush and soft humanity directly encouraging farming
>player may simply overlevel and trivialize the game, this takes less effort than farming healing items
>player may simply summon and trivialize the game, this takes less effort than farming healing items
>not summoning and not overleveling are arbitrary restrictions, therefore not abusing healing to create tension is also an arbitrary restriction that a player is welcome to do

>Souls is an easy fucking game and is only as hard as you want it to be, such as no death/no bonfire/speed runs etc. The devs are not responsible for you not being able to play without willingly using a handicap they provided for scrubs.
>>
File: Hammer.png (247KB, 452x600px) Image search: [Google]
Hammer.png
247KB, 452x600px
>>385082756
what inconsistencies?
>>
God tier
-
Turbo Button

Good tier
-
Janderson

Decent tier
-
GMTK
Core-A-Gaming
SuperBunnyHop
TGBS

Bad tier
-
MrBTongue
raycevick

Shit tier
-
Campster
Jim Sterling
gggmanlives
Snoman
Noah Gervais

Delete this tier
-
PBS Game Show
Extra Credits
>>
I like that Mathew said nigger 3 times in his podcast.
>>
>>385083128
lol yeah
>>
File: CoolHand.jpg (14KB, 202x249px) Image search: [Google]
CoolHand.jpg
14KB, 202x249px
>>385083080
What's a good video to start on for Turbo? Ive heard a lot about him
>>
>>385083080
>raycevick
>bad
He's got some good analysis though.
>>
>>385083205
All of his recent videos are good. Just pick the video you've played the game of
>>
>>385083205
Started watching his newest botw video
The man has stolen my cock, stay away or yours will be next.
>>
File: candle.jpg (9KB, 397x274px) Image search: [Google]
candle.jpg
9KB, 397x274px
>>385083727
it's too late
>>
>>385079496
Fuck you for showing me the cancer that is PBS game show.
>>
>>385080517
>break everything down into itty bitty palatable pieces content for someone not skilled at critiquing the game on a large scale or looking at how everything works together as a complete concept

How to appear thorough for dummies. Having an opinion on every separate level and every separate boss and every separate encounter is worthless, and a game reviewed in that way could have mostly great levels and still come out bad, or at least lesser than the sum of its parts, because of how those things work together, as a greater whole, which Anderson's videos occasionally miss because of his style.
>>
>>385083024
Design oversights, metagaming, and exploits in other Souls games is not an excuse to build the bad design right into your game deliberately and make it easily accessible to every player right at the start of the game without them even needing to do anything special.
>>
>>385077909
Despite making good points about a game, Joseph Anderson is really boring to listen to. His voice makes me fall asleep.
>>
>>385083950
Yeah it would be like writing an analysis on 1984s social and political commentary just commenting on every single page.

The idea of a game being it's supposed "massive" amount of content first rather than its medium for the experience is bunk.
>>
>>385077909
> Reviews based on personal taste
That's why he's more interesting, desu
>>
>I don't want to define depth because people would just disagree
>Anyway, these factors are what give God Hand depth

WHAT DID MATTHEW MEAN BY THIS
>>
> eceleb garbage
Janny delete this shit.
>>
File: sakurafish.jpg (22KB, 301x320px) Image search: [Google]
sakurafish.jpg
22KB, 301x320px
>>385077909
Where's the section for "thinking for myself"?
>>
File: 18j14yg72c1angif.gif (734KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
18j14yg72c1angif.gif
734KB, 800x600px
>>385077909
I like both and really they the only ones I like. They go in-depth and can back up their arguments. There's others I like but they speak only on a surface level or just ramble on about nothing interesting.
>>
>>385084369
Leaving the thread of course as this is about reviewing reviewers and not reviewing games.
>>
>>385084092
>summoning/fundamentals of the leveling system/fundamentals of humanity system are design oversights and exploits
Yeah man I can't believe they accidentally coded all that shit in. Solaire was clearly a mistake.
>>
>>385084369
By leaving the thread since you follow the opinions of this board rather then think for yourself.
>>
>>385084108
That's why I like his voice desu
>>
>>385083863
?
>>
>>385084532
I would say that summoning is pretty poorly implemented into the game. Overleveling is metagaming. It isn't part of the intended design. The fundamentals of the humanity system were not intended to have players farm them and use them en masse in difficult fights as healing rather than a source of humanity. Humanity healing you doesn't really make me think any differently.

Even if we disregard all of this, "all this other stuff was shit, it's okay to make things shittier" is a braindead point of view and tells me you don't actually care about the quality of the games you play as long as they provide you some basic level of satisfaction so you shouldn't bother participating in critical conversations about games.
>>
>>385083351
He has normie tastes though.
>>
>>385084369
Watching other people think is a good way to enhance the way you think for yourself.
Unless you are of the conviction that only an absolutely braindead complete idiot with zero knowledge and context can derive to independent and thus unbiased and correct conclusions.
>>
>>385084802
>Overleveling is metagaming. It isn't part of the intended design.

Clipping through a wall to shoot enemies on the other side isn't part of the design either, but you;d get righfuly pissed if it happened in a game.
>>
>>385079298
>childish crypto-furfaggot obsesses over his favorite animal
Woah
>>
>>385083080
I used to be a big fan of Turbo Button but his video on Darkstalkers 2 (and actually most of his shit recently) is whining how the combat isn't exactly the same as Bayonetta to the point where it sounds like every game should just be Bayonetta clones. I also found it strange how he completely underrated the idea of non-small humanoid bosses when I really can't get behind this ideology when it doesn't work if overused; just look at the Souls games which dropped in quality as humanoid bosses over-saturated the franchise. I'd say his stuff is still quality but nowhere near deserving of "God tier"
>>
I don't give a shit about reviewers because I'm more than capable of forming an opinion on my own. Retards need smarter people to do their critical thinking for them.
>>
>Being so insecure that you have to let everyone know how superior you are than everyone else when nobody even asked for your opinion.

Why are you even here?
>>
>>385085776
Highly doubt that coming from a /v/ user who's so insecure that he feels the need to look down on people wrongly.
>>
>Noah Gervais
>Ahoy
>Clemps
>Gggmanlives
>Mark Brown
>MisterCaption
>Noclip
>Raycevick

You don't need anything else.
>>
>>385079876
I found his BOTW video lacking as well, I think it just stems from the game not appealing to him well. It easily could come down to that early experience with a Lynel that he had, that one thing having a knockdown effect that stopped him from ever getting into the game. Resulting in him really only having surface level stuff to say.
>>
>>385077909
>Spends Patreon money on drugs and cheap whores
False, he donates all the money to the IRA. Get your facts straight.
>>
File: 1497320896295.jpg (138KB, 1024x547px) Image search: [Google]
1497320896295.jpg
138KB, 1024x547px
>>385079686
For a moment I thought that only said Wizard Dragon but I was a fool to believe in something so beautiful
>>
>>385084802
>summoning is poorly implemented
Ok? What the fuck does this statement mean?
It is intentionally implemented and made available to the player at all stages of the game, with NPCs added to ensure summons are available to players offline.
That isn't what a design oversight or exploit is.

>Overleveling is metagaming
Cool meme word, learn what it means. The leveling system and enemy respawn is not outside information and are intended design. It breaks the natural progress curve, which the devs clearly don't fucking care about whether or not a player follows because they designed the game to allow it.
The player is allowed to underlevel or overlevel. The player is allowed to heal or not heal. The distinction here is meaningless, both decisions are left to the player.

>Humanity system was not intended for players to farm as healing items
So why make it a healing item then?
From soft humanity boosting stats, TWO SEPARATE COVENANT RANK UPS, and multiple enemy drops, deciding that any reasonable dev (especially assuming an eventual offline status) would not intend for hard humanity to be farmable and therefore potentially farmed for all applications is pretty retarded.
Again, breaking the intended difficulty curve is not the same thing as breaking dev intention. Maybe it disappoints them, but they allowed it for a good reason.
>>
File: nacho libre.png (100KB, 220x236px) Image search: [Google]
nacho libre.png
100KB, 220x236px
>>385086171
>Noah Gervais
>>
>>385084802
>>385087636
>Disregarding
>you obtain a healing item
>you personally CHOOSE to use said healing item
>waah this ruined the quality of my game, this is bad game design, don't critique games
Kill yourself lol. These criticisms come from the mind of a wannabe game dev who thinks they understand game design but actually lacks any foresight or critical thought.

WHY do you think summoning is implemented poorly? The intended purpose is to make the game easier and serve as co-op, which it allows. How would you implement it to serve these goals better than it already does?
WHY is available healing bad? There are far easier ways to trivialize Souls. The Devs could easily introduce a level cap or remove healing - fuck it, remove estus.
Think. What. Does. This. Accomplish?
1a) Players who do not use healing do not use healing
1b) Players who do need extra healing can't, and learn to be A or get assblasted and not give anymore shekels
Now with abusable healing found in every fucking Souls game:
2a) Players who do not use healing still do not use healing
2b) Players who do need extra healing can still learn to be A, or can be shitters and still enjoy THE QUALITY OF YOUR GAME

You picked option 1, which is fucking retarded game dev logic.
You shouldn't bother to participate in critical conversation until you learn how to critically think.
Also in a game where duel whips inflict a serious DOT and sipping is punishable, a pre-emptive life gem is nice.
>>
File: 1498482707242.jpg (6KB, 288x224px) Image search: [Google]
1498482707242.jpg
6KB, 288x224px
>no mention of MechaGOATzilla
It's okay because he is seriously above doing this
>>
>>385087636
>Ok? What the fuck does this statement mean?

It means I would count the summoning system as another flawed aspect of the game that similarly detracts from it and I am explicitly not counting it among the ranks of unintended side effects of other things; I'm putting it on the same level as lifegems and considering it a flaw, so the fact that summoning can be used to make the game easier doesn't have anything to do with me thinking lifegems doing the same thing is a flaw. I know that it works exactly as intended, the intention just wasn't thought through very well.

The rest here is semantics. You, or the person who made the original post, said it's retarded to say lifegems were a bad decision because the game is broken or imbalanced in a number of other ways. I don't know why humanity is a healing item, but if they wanted players to use an infinitely farmable resource to heal through difficult fights, they wouldn't have even used the estus system to begin with. Maybe they thought the longer animation and/or scarcity was a suitable countermeasure. That I would consider an oversight, because it isn't. Regardless, humanity is not as common as lifegems are, so even if humanity was fully intended to be collected as a reliable means of healing, the scarcity of it in comparison to lifegems is a clear change to the design that is fair to take issue in.
>>
>>385077909
>hating blacks and jews
>bad
pick one
He was absolutely right about bosses in DS
>>
>>385079496
Game "analysis'" done correctly are great. There are a lot of faggots who just ramble pretentiously and praise simple game mechanics as "brilliant and innovative" though. They will literally just describe the game, describe the story, describe the era the game came out in to kill 20 minutes of video time.

Other than Matt and maybe JA who does good videos that aren't the latter?
>>
>>385086171
>Clemps
Clemps is comfy.
>>
>>385088060
Why is it an all or nothing game to you, retard? Why are the options here, "make all healing farmable and easy to abuse so anyone can do it and game balance and design integrity is sacrificed for the sake of continued sales, but it's fine because players who don't need to heal too much don't have to, it's not like the tension of limited healing plays a large role in the feeling of satisfaction upon success and inspires players to improve and actually strive to use less healing because it's a limited resource and it's a useful skill to be able to use less of it", and, "yeah man hardcore, wanting a good healing balance means you want the game to be balls to the wall extreme for only the pro gamers, just remove all the healing and forget there ever was a middle-ground".

I never said any Souls game did this perfectly, they all have exploitable healing. That isn't an excuse to make it worse and make it even easier to break it earlier, especially in cases where the assumption that the player can have infinite healing tempts designers to create encounters without much regard for the player's ability to conserve their health.

I'm not interested in your publisher-tier money maker design. Fuck off.
>>
>>385088436
>summoning is a flawed aspect of the game
It objectively isn't, this is what you're not understanding.
You and I can personally think summoning is bad. I can think that it detracts from the quality of MY game, and that it's now less fun if you summon.

This is a fucking opinion, you memer. The devs expected that somewhere in this wide world there will be people who are not as good and want help to progress, making the difference between a dropped game and a game they enjoy. These people summoning and playing with NPCs or friends impacts myself and the quality of my game in no fucking way whatsoever. The game is overall net improved because the people who want summons get summons and the people who don't won't need to fucking ever use them.
The intentions were thought out perfectly fine.

>because humanity was intended to be farmable the estus system is vestigial
No nigger, you need to start thinking on a fucking spectrum of players here. The devs to not want the majority of the players to be forced into farming humanity as a reliable healing source. It potentially CAN be if you're garbage, and they're ok with that.
Shit, look at your base DS1 estus system.
>10 flask at FK, 5 at regular
>Optional: Boost to 10 without rite, boost to 20
Then the later estus shard system, which are again are fucking optional pickups.
Scarcity and availability has nothing to do with. Everything is a fucking choice, and the devs intentionally chose to make player options as broad as possible to reach a wide a base as possible.Removing healing availability like life gems does fucking nothing, and their removal adds to the game in no significant way that can't be achieved by just not using them.
>>
JA will always be bad because he spends half of the time in the video giving a synopsis of the game
It is pointless
>>
File: 1500160055842.gif (24KB, 60x95px) Image search: [Google]
1500160055842.gif
24KB, 60x95px
Matthew actually has a point in each of his videos
JA only is like "UUUH I DID NOT GET THIS GAME, THIS IS NOT REAL GAMEPLAY, YOU JUST DO STUFF"
>>
>>385083080
>turbo button at the very top
That's just insanity
>>
File: Angry.jpg (194KB, 1280x1592px) Image search: [Google]
Angry.jpg
194KB, 1280x1592px
>>385083080
>>385090464
Is it true his dad is Gaming Brit??
>>
File: sssss.png (111KB, 232x274px) Image search: [Google]
sssss.png
111KB, 232x274px
dude 1973 Volkswagen Bus lmao
>>
>>385089903
>This is a fucking opinion, you memer

everything about video games is an opinion you stupid faggot

might as well never discuss any aspect of video games
>>
https://www.youtube.com/user/MandaloreGaming

Found this guy the other day, his stuff is pretty comfy
>>
>>385090937
agreed, his recent stuff is good, I especially liked his vid on e.y.e. and his discussion of star citizen
>>
>>385090881
hey man
dont diss old cars
old cars are the best
>>
>>385091091
if old cars are so good then why are there new cars?
>>
oh boy I should just make really long "critical" and "analytic" videos and name my channel after myself so I sound so sophisticated

think for yourselves, fags
>>
>>385091239
I can't, that's why I come here.
>>
>>385091239
>name my channel after myself so I sound so sophisticated

why the fuck shouldn't your channel be [your name]'s channel

what the fuck are you supposed to name it?
>>
>>385091186
Because people want bigger cars that drive themselves
My friend has a Ford Capri Mark 2 he has been maintaining for years now, even I have pitched in
New cars can never give you that feeling of driving that older cars have.
Like you are in total control.
>>
>>385091298
>what the fuck are you supposed to name it?
Not your full name, perhaps?
>>
>>385090937
Mandalore isn't an analysis guy but I put him in the same tier as Accursed Farms/Ross Scott. His planning sheet says he wants to do a longer video about Fallout new Vegas though
>>
>>385086365
Was his the video where he spends like 15 minutes hung up on the Lynel near Ganonhorse and how it killed his immersion or something?

If so, I think he didn't really want to enjoy himself doing it. I did the same path off the Plateau and after spending god damn forever trying to tame Ganonhorse I settled for another and rode off. Saw the Lynel and went back but got sniped. Realized it was him so I tried fighting him for maybe 5-10 deaths before deciding I wasn't ready tofight him and needed better gear, then realized he didn't attack until I unsheathed my weapon. I got on my horse and booked it past him and all the other Lynels until I was 'safe'.

Had a blast. Don't know why he got so hung up on "I can't kill this field boss level enemy naked with a stick"
>>
>>385088757
Matt literally only does the latter
>>
File: Slutsville.png (184KB, 811x986px) Image search: [Google]
Slutsville.png
184KB, 811x986px
>>385091368
Who's opinion would you value more?
>xXxSickGameReviews69faggotxXx
>John Smith

what you had in mind?
>>
If you like e-celeb shit, there's a better website for you.
reddit.com
>>
Daily reminder that MatthewMatosis has repeatedly said that his DMC video is his best work and that, if you're thinking about whether to decide to watch any more of his stuff or not, to watch the DMC video first.
>>
File: 4ZmiFan.jpg (101KB, 648x541px) Image search: [Google]
4ZmiFan.jpg
101KB, 648x541px
>>385090937
I think he's doing Shogo Mobile Armor Division next kek
>>
this morning someone ripped me an asshole on this board for typing a five sentence post and this is an entire thread dedicated to defending videos that are 2 hours long for no god damned reason

no fuck you at least TB did shit with his time
>>
>>385091492
hi matt
>>
File: 1434174069299.jpg (70KB, 680x425px) Image search: [Google]
1434174069299.jpg
70KB, 680x425px
>>385091602
i guess brevity is only the "soul of wit" when you're SHITPOSTING on /v/
>>
>>385091602
that's a really long run-on sentence. try to keep posts shorter please.
>>
File: NINTENDO FANBOYS.jpg (20KB, 616x510px) Image search: [Google]
NINTENDO FANBOYS.jpg
20KB, 616x510px
>>385091731
too long watch this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrQs9ugQiOA

its 3 hours long but its SOO worth it lolol :)
>>
>>385079496
>Just play the video games and make your own opinions.

No, how about I fucking play it, then watch some videos to I get other perspectives on the thing like a regular fucking human being.

If our opinions line up I'll know what games to check out. What if I miss something from the game?

Fuck off.
>>
>>385091843
>I need someone to validate my own thoughts because I'm too dumb to think for myself.
You sure got upset and defensive. Also nice Reddit spacing. I think you should go back.
>>
>>385091797
>that mic quality
>he's already yelling at me 3 minutes in

How does anyone like this?
>>
File: uva.jpg (21KB, 325x409px) Image search: [Google]
uva.jpg
21KB, 325x409px
>>385091843
Or, instead of wasting time watching some fuckwad drone about the game you already played, you spend that time playing the game more, or go to another game.

Ooh, or here's a real innovative idea: How about, if you must validate your opinions and be spoonfed more perspective, you have a discussion with someone so you can have an honest dialogue, instead of just listening to someone who will never acknowledge you, or respond to any of your questions or comments talk at you for an hour.
>>
>>385091797
>going through the entire story scene by scene
literally why would anyone do this
>>
>>385084269
What's not to get?
>There isn't a strong consensus on what depth really is, and going over it in detail would just devolve into people nit-picking each-other and him - rather than addressing the points he would like to discuss.
>The previously mentioned factors are the things that give the game a considerable amount of what Matthew himself, would consider as depth.
They're not mutually exclusive sentences.
>>
>>385091930
>Post about comparing your own opinion with something else
>"""I'm too dumb to think for myself.""""

>Triggered by text formatting

I'm thinking for myself when I say go back to le ddit, newfag.

Will summer ever end?
>>
>>385092056
>How about, if you must validate your opinions
>...instead of just listening to someone who will never acknowledge you, or respond to any of your questions or comments

Reddit plz
>>
>>385091797
he has to spend three hours to explain why something is bad and doesn't even do it in a way that is entertaining. there are people who like this?
>>
Recently this started showing up in my recommendations:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vp4-9G47uF0

I'm about 90 minutes in, and it made me appretiate Matthewmatosis more. While this guy is sorta insightful, he doesn't really say that much in such a long time.

>>385079480
How is Matthewmatosis an artfag? He just wants all games to be unique.
>>
>>385092172
>Still THIS upset after getting called out for being low IQ.
I didn't even make that post. I think you need a nap, Redditor. Considering what a loose trigger you have, it's quite apparent you have no friends to discuss video games with. That would explain why you're so defensive about your surrogate friend habit.
>>
>>385080484
>things that didn't happen.
>>
>>385079496
Dunno, watching some of them made me appretiate many games a great deal, and it allowed me to look at games in different ways. And 40 minutes really isn't long. I mean, think back 40 minutes. Have you done anything productive or worthwhile in that time? If you say you just spent that time shitposting on a vietnamese elephant forum, you might aswell watch a youtube video of that length.

Anyway, maybe Game Maker's Toolkit is more up your alley. It is mostly in quick bursts analyzing single aspects of games and comparing them to others, rather than going over an entire game/series.
>>
>no option for retropoliszone
Fuck this
>>
File: 1495619183344.jpg (162KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1495619183344.jpg
162KB, 400x400px
I respect Matthew for answering this question that I posed to him, though I did it to just kinda prod at him a little bit.

https://ask.fm/Matthewmatosis/answers/142272450463

Guy seems pretty genuine.
>>
Hello ladies and gentlemen, this is the first in a series of five shitposts I'll be making on /v/. If you've never shitposted on 4chan before then I recommend doing so before reading as I'll be covering the board in-depth.
>>
>>385083128
People are trolling when they act offended by this right? In the context of what he's saying, only the biggest tumbrina could possibly be offended by it.
>>
>>385088976
>why is it an all or nothing game
It isn't you retard, you still aren't understanding the core concept.
Estus removal was an example of how it's still fucking arbitrary when taken to an extreme.

Lets play out the hypothetical
>Healing is limited in a perfectly balanced manner. At all stages of the game, your average player needs to carefully manage their healing system, creating a tension and weight on resource decision making
>Good players still do not need to heal or heal as often because they can do shit like no-hit runs or just know all the patterns
>Bad players get shit on
What does the bad player do in this situation to progress? Aside from gitting gud, what are the options provided to them in a typical Souls game?
A) Overlevel
B)Summon
C)Find a way to abuse damage
D)Find a way to abuse healing
So you remove all this shit to "improve the quality of the game" for these bad players since assumably you yourself don't need these crutches. All you've accomplished is create a gameplay siev that forces players to git good when gitting good is already an available and heavily encouraged option beforehand. How did you make the game better? You just limited the player population significantly over shit you don't even need to fucking use.That isn't good game design.
Ironically you go on to claim that encounters are now too hard because they're designed with abundant healing resource in mind? So heal?! Or get good enough to beat these encounters without healing, which is also just as possible. Or overlevel, or summon, or do whatever the fuck it takes man.

It's like you're trying to force this pointless "golden meridian of Souls difficulty enjoyment" when devs who know what they're actually fucking doing understand they should just allow the players to do that themselves. Fuck.

>>385090936
M8 you've convinced me you're actually retarded and it was a huge waste of time trying to explain basic shit to you.
>>
>>385091382
WHEN THE FUCK IS THEIR GOTHIC COLLABORATION
>>
Noah is good and you people are too hung up on that postal video
>>
>>385092645
I'd like to start this analysis by checking this tree
>>
>>385077909
>implying that spending patreon money on drugs and whores is a bad thing
>>
>>385092803
We just had a thread about shitty druggy parents.
It is.
>>
I really like Matthew's usual videos, both his reviews and his commentaries, but I think his recent "Lost Soul Arts" was his best video yet. It's him trying to be concise and making a certain point.
>>
>>385077909
>/v/ - Twitter Screencaps & e-Celebrities
>>
>>385092783
I-I think he, he's okay but could wuk on his awkward delivery and presentation. *keeehhhhh*
>>
>>385077909
>Hates Blacks and Jews
Well I guess I'll be watching someone's videos now.
>>
>>385093009
Never found it a problem
On the other hand, I can stand listening to even raw Zizek so maybe it is just that
>>
File: revy02.jpg (76KB, 1096x720px) Image search: [Google]
revy02.jpg
76KB, 1096x720px
>>385087650
>wahhh someone's political views don't align perfectly with mine
>>
Watched one of these videos to see what the fuss was about.
>X mechanic works like this which causes Y problem
It's nothing but basic observations about the game, shit that anyone with any kind of critical thinking ability should be able to figure out. But people are so stupid that this kind of shit never even occurs to them and so it seems really insightful when someone else points it out.
>>
>>385093093
I don't think it's much of a problem either but its an easily noticeable and easily fixable flaw in his videos
>>
File: free real estate.gif (3MB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
free real estate.gif
3MB, 480x270px
>>385093097
>Implying I give a fuck about the fact that he's a Hillcuck and not that he legitimately believes Bioshock Infinite is the perfect evolution of the Shock franchise and better than any of the games before it.
>>
Joesph anderson pretty much streamlined matthew's format and stole his fanabse from him when he didn't feel like shelling out half-assed reviews just for the sake of talking. I tried watching Joesph's BoTW video and it was just excruciating nitpicking at a surface level and nothing more. I like matthew's videos because he goes indepth without it explicitly being a 'review.'
>>
>>385093250
I mean that's like, his opinion man.
>>
File: 1479524733803.jpg (147KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1479524733803.jpg
147KB, 1280x720px
I like Core-A because he doesn't ramble about things he has no understanding of . He's focused on the fightan genre and that suits him because that's where his expertise and experience lies, unlike some reviewers who feel the need to spread themselves too thin--talking with very shallow perspectives on things they clearly need more exposure with. But to be honest, he's not really a reviewer and has a more informational channel.
>>
>>385093319
Yes.

But he makes videos based on his opinion, putting forth that opinion.

If this man disagrees with that opinion, why would he like this guy's videos?
>>
>>385092749
>Aside from gitting gud
>Aside

>That isn't good game design.
good game design is encouraging players to get good by making it fun and rewarding you idiot

good game design is NOT making it so everyone can beat the game easily with no effort and skill and effort isn't rewarded
>>
>>385080484
> be black
> Mathewmatosis calls me a nigger
> "Well, that is how you were historically addressed as. Correct?"
> I am held aghast
> "So why is there any confusion as to what you are? You are historically a nigger."

He then stomped atound like a T-Rex, clawing at the ground pretending as if he had short arms. Every now and then, pecking at the concrete screaming "Nigger... NIGGER".

Shit scared the living fuck out of me.
>>
>>385093319
my opinion is that he is a shit
>>
>>385093382
Because you shouldn't be watching stuff simply to validate something you already think, are you that insecure about your own opinions that you need someone on the internet to validate them for you? Also stop reddit spacing.
>>
>>385091797
Mistercaption is underappreciated. His Nier video wasn't great, but the rest of his stuff is top tier.
>>
>>385093572
Why would I want to watch a video of someone talking about their opinion without being able to speak back to them? Either I agree, or I disagree. But I can't have an engaging conversation with the person. I don't want to just validate my opinion, but listening to a video of a guy talking is the worst way to engage in a discussion topic.
>>
>>385092320
>All these buzzwords

Looks like I win here, reddit.
>>
>>385077909
Too many videos about Naughty Dog movies.
>>
>>385077909
>Black people and jews

I dont see the problem with this
>>
File: 1493261984529.jpg (20KB, 306x306px) Image search: [Google]
1493261984529.jpg
20KB, 306x306px
Post lines you're tired of hearing

>it's clear a lot of love and effort went into it
>than it would be otherwise
>it's like Dark Souls
>>
>>385093427
>ree I can't stop being shit and using crutches
>fuck the devs for letting me use these crutches, if they weren't here I would've totally gotten better
>but I can't just not use these crutches and get better on my own, like fucking every average player who doesn't summon, or overlevel, or learns to parry, etc.

>this game could've been fun and rewarding if I didn't intentionally do this thing that made it not fun and rewarding for me
Kill yourself. I'm done.
>>
>>385093916
>ree I can't stop being shit and using crutches

where did you get this part of me being shit? i'm saying the game shouldn't be designed around crutches.

a perfect game allows anyone to git gud without crutches at it and that's what devs should strive for

pseudo-difficulty settings are as cancerous as normal difficulty settings
>>
>>385079686
All these shills defending BOTW in this thread
it's worse than I thought
>>
Why is this eceleb shit still up? Mods where?
>>
>>385093319
Anyone who thinks Bioshock Infinite is anything other than irredeemable shit is not worth listening to.

I can accept people liking things I don't like, but BI is so bad the only people that could possibly like it are idiots or pretentious cunts.
>>
>>385083950
Nah more general, holistic reviews are usually the less useful ones because of their vague, subjective nature. It's the style of the average reviewer because it doesn't require much thought. Breaking games down into components allows you to more clearly understand how and why those components work which is far more useful when discussing the technical aspects of games. Also the goal isn't to determine whether a game is good or bad, that's silly. The goal is to explain why you think a game is good or bad to the viewer in a clear, understandable way. JA's more thorough way of doing this is better in my opinion. Their Furi videos really solidifed this feeling for me, because it's only after JA's video did I get interested in the game despite already watching Matthew's video. His video gave me a good idea of what the game is like and what the appeal is because he broke down the mechanics and learning curve while Matthew was more interested in rambling about finding an exploit or saying vague shit like "it's not a good x but it's a good y" for half of the gameplay segment.
>>
>>385077909
>game critics
>literally lack the basis of common sense or video game development background
>>
>>385093916
It's not the job of the player to make a game fun, it's the job of the designers. Just throwing in a fuck ton of systems and mechanics into a game with no sense of cohesion whilst hoping the players will figure out some fun way to play on their own isn't good game design.
>>
>>385093341
I don't really like fightans and even I am subscribed to that guy.
>>
>>385093173
Good insights often seem obvious in retrospect. If it's so basic that any retard can do it, why don't you go for it? It's easy extra money from doing what you normally do except with a little bit of video editing thrown into the mix.
>>
>>385077909
Even if I am anoyed by him and disagree with many aspects of his way to review and his taste in vidya Chris Wagar is at least consistent and tries to be as objectiv as you can get, even when it works against him.
>>
>>385091353
this guy knows what's up, new cars might be convenient, but old cars are goat tier. Also if you're looking for an affordable car that doesn't cost too much in repair old cars is where it's at. My uncle's old mercedes has been in repairs only maybe once or twice in the 20 years he's had it.
>>
>>385078913
I find that guy kind of unbearable, in prretty much every video I watched he judged the game in question based on how it was critically/popularly received to some degree, which is just silly
>>
>>385093093
>>385093009

>those 5 minute long patreon supporter credits where you cant hear the names over the mic peaking in the wind

this guy is an idiot
>>
>>385096003
On the road DIY
>>
>>385096063
except the entire reviews are recorded just fine, he just thinks hes being patrish or something
>>
>>385096110
He probably wants to get a shot of himself reading the paper instead of just reading it on audio
>>
>>385096189
then do it inside?
>>
>>385096234
Inside the bus? He did in Outlast review.
The bus is dark inside, which makes the shot bad since he has no lightning.
>>
SuperRedditHop is shit.
>>
>>385096424
YOU SLIP AND THE WHIP
>>
>>385094937
There's no answer I can give that won't make me look like a bitch pussying out, but I don't have the patience or equipment. At best I could write out and/or record an essay but I couldn't be assed to do video editing. I honestly don't play that many games anymore anyway.
>>
File: Starman.png (291KB, 498x600px) Image search: [Google]
Starman.png
291KB, 498x600px
>>385096716
you're just a little bitch who is pussying out
>>
File: 1500841152808.jpg (29KB, 571x547px) Image search: [Google]
1500841152808.jpg
29KB, 571x547px
My favorite will always be Matthew. I still rewatch some of his reviews every now and then.
>>
>>385085231
That may be a plus in his case though, not many people look so in-depth into mainstream gaming like he does.
>>
File: 1499634234184.png (288KB, 300x500px) Image search: [Google]
1499634234184.png
288KB, 300x500px
>>385087519
>>385079686
>>
Which is the worst analysis channel?

My vote is on Writing On Games.
>>
File: 1493935921411.png (241KB, 854x480px) Image search: [Google]
1493935921411.png
241KB, 854x480px
>>385098076
Extra Credits
>>
>>385098076
I'll make one tonight and then I can take the place of the worst channel.
>>
>>385093638
He sabotages himself.
He tweets about hating his viewers, hating YouTube, and has deleted several videos he made just to piss people off
>>
>>385097168
Same here. I watched his Dark Souls commentary three times, I think.

>>385098076
There are a bunch that just ramble on their childhood games in 5 minute videos talking about how Crash Bandicoot is one of the best games ever made because his attitude was something fresh back then.
But I think if you want a channel that tries to ve cohesive, there was a channel called "games as lit" or whatever. As someone who is studying literature himself, I cringe every time someone tries to analyze video games first in foremost from a non-interactive angle just because they only learnt to analyze text or whatever. That games as lit channel was the worst.

>>385098130
I find it weird when they are brought up in the comment section of Mark Brown or where ever, because I keep forgetting that to some people, these guys are still relevant.

>>385098131
Don't forget to link it here.
>>
>>385098076
Whats the one with a banana on the avatar?
Its like an hour video from a preschooler essay that repeats the same thing over and over.
>>
>>385098314
The video will probably be about Croc
>>
>>385098076
>>385098315
Hbomberguy, the worst one of all these people
>>
>>385098345
Good luck, MechaGameZilla said everything about Croc that needs to be said in his recent video.
>>
>>385098383
Oh yeah? well fuck him.
>>
File: 1500399982774.jpg (26KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
1500399982774.jpg
26KB, 512x512px
Seeing the comments on Matthewmatosis's The Last of Us review that were disapointed he didn't shit on it was funny.
>>
>>385077909
>Videoessay faggots
yeah fuck off
>>
I tried to watch JA and I just got bored. His opinions are so surface-level and uninteresting.

Matthew gets weird about Estrus cycles and niggers, and that's something to keep you watching.
>>
DEMON SOULS WAS JUST A DARK SOULS PROTOTYPE
>>
>>385098525
Didn't he shit on it?

Oh yeah, he sorta didn't, now that I recall. It was in that time where Matthew gained a lot of attention for his critiques of Bioshock Infinite and Dark Souls 2, so a large chunk of his newer userbase back then just wanted more of him ripping games apart.
Matthew himself said on twitter (or during a stream?) that he doesn't want to be "that guy who shits on critically acclaimed games" just as he doesn't want to be "the Zelda guy" or "the Metal Gear guy", so maybe that is why he was so lush on TLoU when it was a typical candidate for a "critique" rather than a "review". He shat on modern Naughty Dog in other instances, so I am pretty sure he sorta pulled his punches there a bit.
>>
>>385083950
Yeah I hate when reviewers back up their claims with evidence, I much prefer when they simply state "this element is so deep/crispy/fluid/other buzzword"
>>
>>385077909
Oh hai Joseph.
>>
>>385098682

>Estrus cycles and niggers

What is this meme?
>>
>>385079686
Has anyone bought his books?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T15-xfUr8z4
Zelda BTFO

I can't wait for matt to review it and show how much of it is empty space and copy pasta, being soo clearly rushed.
>>
File: Stand.jpg (81KB, 736x1258px) Image search: [Google]
Stand.jpg
81KB, 736x1258px
>>385098889
yeah, well only that one.

Cool twist, short but fun read.
>>
>>385083024
This, the only problem with lifegems is not limiting them like they did with consumables in DS3 so you can only carry like 10 small ones, 5 med ones ones 1 big one per life.
>>
>>385098838
Well it's weird to interrupt your 6 hour long review with a lore theory about menstrual cycles.

Niggers is more just fun to bring up, it's a legit criticism of Infinite being limpdick in narrative.
>>
>>385098838
He rambled on a bit about humanity looking a bit like a vulva and "estus" sounding like "estrus" or something like that in his Dark Souls commentary. I think he was a bit drunk at that part.

The thing with niggers is that during his Bioshock Infinite review he said that the game tried to portray arpatheid and racism, but never actually showed blacks being treated all that badly or even called nigger, so it felt shallow to him. He said "nigger" again in his recent video on his Matthewmatosis Extra channel, so he is now the nigger guy.

>>385098961
Didn't JA mostly like the game, but say that it has flaws? Matthew seems to have the same opinion from what he said about it so far.
>>
>>385098961
>botw comes out
>everyone loves it, even the meme haters
>brings in business for nintendo
>pcfags try to ruin it by emulating it
>end up emulating the worst version with natively lower fps on the console they are trying to emulate
kek
>>
>>385099315
BOTW on cemu now runs better than WiiU/Switch if you have a decent i5.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsLP9Qv4rOU
>>
>>385099383
Thanks, mainly wanted to troll so people could give me an update, still have the early copy circulated in the threads but just put it away for another time.
>>
>>385099150
He liked the first 20 hours but then the game us super top loaded and after that it's a very simplistic gameplay loop with little variety.
Once you get how broken the combat is, the magic just breaks.
>>
>>385099383
That's nice, now my friend will get to play it.
>>
>Neither of them play it loud
worthless
>>
>>385099578
I kind of enjoyed rockcock64 once but i just cant give a fuck about that much satirical shit. Still good though, just not my taste.
>>
>>385077909
How can Joseph Anderson be any good as a reviewer when he considers Dark Souls 3 to be the best in the serie?
>>
>>385099781
>judging reviewer quality based on their tastes rather than their ability to explain their tastes
I'd rather watch someone defend a widely hated game than watch someone with the same tastes as me fellate a game without even knowing why.
>>
>>385077909
I never knew it could get any more boring than JA until I started watching Matthew.

I used to watch JA's lengthier reviews to go to sleep, his voice is soothing and it's like someone reading you a bed time story, can't even do that shit with Mathew as his accent and the way he talks is terrifying.

If JA uploaded more frequently, and made shorter cuts of his vids for kids with ADD he'd be swimming in cash right now.
>>
JA flat out said he would never play D2 or the original fallouts and that kind of makes him a dork. Seems he only wants to be involved in topical stuff. For what it's worth I think he has worse taste overall and his criticism isn't as deep either.

Better than ""real"" reviewers at least but my boy Matthew still top dog and probably always will be, as long as he keeps doing what he wants to do.
>>
>>385077909
Anderson has a tendency to ramble about aspects without a clear point in mind. So his conclusions often don't really seem to fit all that much with what he said, Fallout 4 is the worst for that cause he just rambles and then goes yeah I like it I guess.

Matthew tends to have a more clear point to make, examples are brought up specifically to support a point he just made or is about to make.
>>
>>385083080
>MrBTongue
>bad tier

the goat
>>
>>385099664
He just makes shitty, "ironic" let's plays these days.
>>
>>385091797
That's nothing, watch this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vp4-9G47uF0&index=1&list=LL8t80Ub41LEJ8aCOs8nVkcw
>>
>>385098889
yes
they're okay
nothing groundbreaking, but he knows what he's doing
>>
>>385100879
You are like a little baby right now. What this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EV16ROaHVfo
>>
Why yes, I too am looking forward to the 10 hour long witcher series commentary
>>
>>385083080
why the hate for the sonny jim?
>>
File: 4325.png (1MB, 851x787px) Image search: [Google]
4325.png
1MB, 851x787px
-What advice would you have for someone reviewing?
-What is something you feel "modern" reviewers lack?

I'd consider this to be the best review I've ever seen.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vp4-9G47uF0
>>
File: Capture.png (4KB, 380x92px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
4KB, 380x92px
>>385080484
kek, he's right.
>>
>>385088082
you do realize Ding Dong actually liked that video and he's friends with Owen, right?
>>
>>385102058
Because he has really boring opinions, his rapid-fire reviewing means only a surface look at games and his catchphrases are all stinky?
>>
>>385102082
>What is something you feel "modern" reviewers lack?
Experience and education. They're shit at the games they review and don't bother with research. Looking into the development of the games they're reviewing is more commonplace, but there are "reviewers" that haven't even read basic shit like game feel or theory of fun
>>
File: 1920x1080-EN-EP2_wallpaper.jpg (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1920x1080-EN-EP2_wallpaper.jpg
1MB, 1920x1080px
>>385102541
Anon you're replying to. I've done videos in the past but I want to take a more objective and dry approach like the 5 hour video I linked. Except 30 minutes instead of 5 hours, but this depends on the game ofc.

How would you define game feel and theory of fun? Also do you think development is important for a review/video? If so and if it's an older game, should you also look at it's reception and how it affected games?
>>
>>385102745
Those are books nigga, read them. I've seen so many reviews where the person wanted to talk about how a game feels to control but simply didn't have the proper understanding and terminology to explain it. Going into development and influences in the video isn't necessary unless you really want to some sort of a history/retrospective, but reading about game development gives you a more clear understanding of the games you're reviewing.
>>
>>385077909
Tried watching Joseph Anderson's videos a couple of times, they were so bad I had to turn them off after a few minutes, just aimless rambling that's only purpose is to make the videos longer so that it seems like he has a lot of smart things to say when in reality he has very little.
>>
>>385102058
He is only superficially above your average ProJared and Peanutbuttergamer youtube reviewers. He is a reviewer telling you wether or not to buy a game, not a critic who is analyzing the game's design and systems.
>>
>>385103050
Worth reading?
>>
>>385103145
All of them are basically worthless efforts of highs school level essay writing I don't understand how can anyone watch them.
>>
>>385103284
Absolutely, the reason you hear people talk on and on about game feel is because of the book
>>
>>385103524
>tfw can't find any "files" of it.

Fuck.
>>
>>385103524
Whenever I heard someone use the term "game feel" it felt really superficial and vague. Maybe people just suck at reiterating what they read in a book, but the term "game feel" always seemed like a red flag for a reviewer/critic.
>>
>>385103145
I just think what some people refer to as thoroughness on Anderson's part ends up being more redundant and lacking in meaningful things to say than anything else.

Thoroughness may seem like a good thing on paper, but I don't really need a 30 minute long video on Dragon's Dogma to tell me all of its super obvious flaws like the shitty side-quests or lack of content. I already know that, everybody does. I watch reviews so they can tell me something I don't know, a new perspective or better understanding of the game, not to tell the the most obvious stuff you can figure out by just playing yourself. He did have a couple of good points here and there though, but that still doesn't justify its length.
>>
>>385103647
People suck shit at using it, yeah. It doesn't help that it's a very big aspect of the games that covers everything from how the game processes your inputs to sound design. If you want a quick, sloppy showcase of what game feel is then watch this :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJdEqssNZ-U
But then this also gets taken literally by indie devs who just copy each of the methods used without thinking.
>>
>>385077909
>Came critique thread
>critiques fucking e-celebs
this fucking board just gets worse every year and exponentially retarded
>>
>>385077909
I thinking of making my own stuff for fun, but is it natural to get awkward around your own voice? Does anyone else hate their voice or accent?
>>
>>385104029
I'm sorry, I cannot watch this video. I am usually patient with this stuff, but I got 15 minutes in and that man is just infuriating.

I will watch it later when I am in a different mindset, I hope.
>>
>>385103934
>I already know that, everybody does
Not necessarily, and you need to explain how the game works on top of the major visible issues so you can branch out into the smaller issues or the game as a whole, else the audience loses track of the point you're trying to make when you're talking about technical terms you never mentioned before. Just because you know doesn't mean everyone does. A comprehensive review would have to include the most basic topics because a comprehensive review naturally spans the entire game, else your review would only be comprehensible by advanced players.
>>
>>385104530
I think there is a difference between sucking e-celeb dick and talking about game analysis.
If that is indication of the board quality sinking to you, feel free to jump through a noose.
>>
>>385104717
You do have to mention them, not talk about it for minutes and minutes. I'll re-watch that video because I saw it ages ago so I could be wrong, but I remember him rambling about obvious flaws for a very long time.
>>
>>385079298
DkS3 is far from my favorite Souls game, but Gael is mechanically the greatest boss in the series including Bloodborne.
>>
>>385102058
He tries to force memes and he shits out videos so often they get things wrong constantly. You can almost always see him getting butt hurt at people pointing out his video flaws in the comments
>>
File: 1349055588685.jpg (63KB, 640x425px) Image search: [Google]
1349055588685.jpg
63KB, 640x425px
>>385104628
It's natural. I got over it after making so many videos. tl;dr the sound of your own voice is different to you because it travels through your skull. Hearing it not travel through it, like on a recording, sounds alien to you, like it's you but distorted.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/speaking-of-science/wp/2015/06/16/why-you-probably-hate-the-sound-of-your-own-voice/?utm_term=.2928d5a48cab
>>
icycalm btfos both
>>
Overman tier: icycalm
Subhuman tier: everyone else
>>
>>385104638
Yeah, he's a massive fag but the example game he made is really useful.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=216_5nu4aVQ
Could watch this too, but there's much more to game feel than that like input buffers, cancels, hitboxes skewed in the player's favor etc.
>>
>>385105134
Oh, I must have already watched that, I watched all of his stuff, but I guess it was a while ago and I forgot about it.

Thanks anyway. Re-watching, and maybe later on forcing my way through that holländer kanker video.
>>
>>385077909
All e-celebs are cancer. Quarantine board when?
>>
>>385102058
Mandaloregaming knocking his stalker review off the top result for the site was the greatest blessing /sg/ had and I couldn't believe how retarded he is.
He's shit at fps games which is ridiculous since that's all he does. He hates anything that doesn't give him a power fantasy including the "classics" he pretends to revere including AVP and Quake. As for Stalker he got everything wrong. Everything. The year the game took place in, how difficulties worked, what artifacts to use. He was in fact so stupid he didn't know about low crouch and complained about how every enemy could see him, and when told this he claimed anyone giving him shit was a mad Russian. I don't want to believe he's that stupid. Instead I believe in his desire to flood the site with his videos he rushes every game, or in many cases only plays 1/4 of the way through. This is why his subscriber count is so stagnant and slow moving despite his enormous vault of content. It's all crackers and no cheese.
>>
>>385088585
>>385079913
according to research racism is connected to low IQ
>>
>>385105082
>>385105087
Fuck off Alex, don't you have more forums to get banned from?
>>
>>385105347
blacks are the most racist group.
>>
>>385105087
His stuff is only good as shitposting material desu lad
>>
>>385105315
While I agree people should not obsess over e-celebs, the content these e-celebs produce is very much productive and worth talking about.
>>
>>385083080
Try Strat-Edgy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qbYj6Joc_U
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdI757JhSeU
>>
>>385105452
then you found your people
>>
icycalm masterpieces that BTFO JRPG idiots

http://insomnia.ac/commentary/on_role-playing_games/
http://insomnia.ac/commentary/the_rpg_conundrum/
>>
File: 347568.png (8KB, 473x90px) Image search: [Google]
347568.png
8KB, 473x90px
For fuck's sake, Matthew. I know a black man replaced your position at your job, but you can't just splurt out the N-word like this. Especially not when begging for money.
>>
>>385105327
Mandalore is a bro. idc that I'm shilling. He's one of the few reviewers who isn't a complete egotistical dipshit. He reviews are slow, but he backs up his points with examples and comparisons, adds a little humor and his own personal taste.

Contrast that with gggmanlives, who's distilled cancer shitting out 10 minute "reviews", saying nothing of substance, milking his audience for views.
>>
icycalm BTFOs scorefags, esports, speedrunners and other aspies
https://www.scribd.com/document/273249442/Scoring-essay-pdf
>>
>>385105665
This shit was more autistic than Cosmo xirself
>>
>>385105665
H-h-he can't keep getting away with this!
>>
>>385083080
>MrBtongue
>Even on the list
>I read two books. Let's see how I can apply this on video games.
He never ever talks about the game aspects. Only some very vague themes and how they maybe correlate to some literary themes. It's bullshit.
>>
>>385083080
Just wanted to say thank you for putting Snoman in shit tier, I watched enough videos of his to warn each and every one of you: do not watch this guy's shitty videos. They are as shallow and barebones as it gets.
>>
>>385105457
Nah, it's still better than other reviewshit, even if you think his opinions are retarded he still goes much further than anyone else (maybe aside from academics that barely play vidya) in attempting to explain what makes games good and bad. If he's bad other reviewers are worthless, other than perhaps to stroke your fanboy ego with positive reviews.
>>
>>385105315
Discussing about how analysis and critiques are made is still relevant and meaningful discussion.
>>
>>385105857
Maybe he'd be worth talking about if he didn't put almost all his shit behind a paywall
>>
>>385105857
>he still goes much further than anyone else
Further into fucking insanity maybe
>>385105665
Look at this shit and tell me it's anything but absurd mental gymnastics of someone desperately trying to shit on something he doesn't like. Would call his dad autistic for liking pinball no doubt
>>
File: 1475801431515.jpg (45KB, 409x367px) Image search: [Google]
1475801431515.jpg
45KB, 409x367px
Some smaller channels I've found that are worth checking out are
>August Keller
>Veegie
>PointZ3RO
Quality can be a bit rough, but their content is decent and shows potential.
>>
>>385105665
>people who like different things are aspies

At least he's kind enough to let you know upfront it's not worth reading his garbage. Someone who uses "autistic" to describe someone as as an end-all be-all argument stopper isn't worth listening to, in the same way children on the playground probably aren't going to say anything meaningful.
>>
>>385106115
Good call desu, he makes some good points every now and then but they're buried under total rubbish. Not worth it.
>>
>>385077909
Joseph Anderson is an actual retard. He makes fucking bogus statements about the games he's reviewing. I think I was watching his Fallout 3 video and he was saying outright lies about the game
>>
>>385106052
Oh, and Novacanoo as well.
>>
>>385102082
the way he reviewed the game was good, but his opinions are straight out garbage.
>>
>>385105957
Absurd mental gymnastics? He gives very convincing arguments as to why scoring is autistic, it's because of the very first principles of Icycalmian videogame philosophy, that game mechanics should be properly integrated to the context of the game word, ie not be arbitrary, fagot
>>
>>385106360
I am 90% through, and I think only some of them were garbage. Like "Elder Scrolls should not have an art style that is trying to impose an emotion on the player", the hell was that about?

Otherwise it seemed fine, and he also made some really good points.
>>
File: 1390606992288.png (14KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
1390606992288.png
14KB, 800x600px
I like Running Shine a lot. His style isn't original, but I haven't found anyone else with the same tone and humour. His voice is nice as well and he makes comfy jazz music.
The problem is he only uploads once every 6 months or whatever, so there's barely any content.
>>
>>385090839
He's the Illigitimate love child of him and Clemps after a drunken night of playing Nier. B-Mask and Pokey watched the whole thing. HyperBitHero was listening in the next room, crying that his DMC whore was being deflowered by another man.
>>
>>385106401
Ah I see, it's not mental gymnastics because of your made up rule that has no basis in reality. Did you give your dad a call and call him an aspie for playing pinball, Alex?
>>
>>385106450
The whole "radiant ai is bad, and every npc should be mentaly dead and stuck in one place" was wrong.
Yeah there are problems with the ai, but the whole "another life" feel, that oblivion and skyrim gives, comes from the schedules and weird behaving npcs. Removing this aspect of the game would only make it more boring.

I also disagree with his opinions on the cities, and how they are bad because they aren't a shithole.
>>
>>385106450
I took that as a game as "do anything" as TES shouldn't have an overall art style that imposes one singular emotion on the player. He examples this by saying Oblivion's art is too cheerful, making it hard to be intimidated, scared, spooked, angry, etc when you should be. Why? Because the art style is constantly pushing you to be happy. Sure the game has cheery moments, but if it's cheery all the time, it's much harder to feel anything else, making the game feel emotionally one-note.

He further examples this by showing how Morrowind and even Skyrim offered a wider range of emotions, because the general art style wasn't overly bright, or dark. There were elements of both that were allowed to happen because the art style was stylistic, but still neutral in it's tone.
>>
File: 1499612252131.png (538KB, 1625x1270px) Image search: [Google]
1499612252131.png
538KB, 1625x1270px
>>385077909
Mattfags btfo
>>
>>385106707
>I also disagree with his opinions on the cities, and how they are bad because they aren't a shithole.

I hate to dick ride but he doesn't say that. I remember what you're referring to, and it's because in the lore and from what you hear, a specific town he's referencing is supposed to be a shithole, yet it's as beautiful as every other town. Every town in Morrowind was unique in it's architecture, yet in Oblivion, everything is perfect beautiful European architecture. Everything is perfectly maintained and clean. It's so idyllic that it's boring and unrealistic. Making the world feel artificial instead of lived in.
>>
>>385105957
> only I can shit on people for doing things I don't like
great job you blind retard
>>
>>385106758
>Probably /fit/ and /fa/.

Probably not actually. He seems like a guy who doesn't have an active life style, being a writer with 2 kids.
>>
>>385106757
I understood his argument, I just entirely disagreed with it. The art style of Oblivion is not cheerful at all, it is entirely generic with a hint of colourful. Atleast it is not trying to impose emotions on the player.

>>385106707
The thing with the cities is a lore-related complaint. Since I don't care enough about Elder Scrolls lore it is a mood point for me, but if I was a lore autist this would bother me.

He had a point with the radiant AI thing though. It takes a lot of manpower away from other important things and does not really make the cities appear lively, but I think his approach to fixing it was misguided. I think they would need smaller towns.
But then again, that would not sit well with other people.

The point stands that radiant AI should be tweaked, and the way it was in Oblivion it was fun, but shit.
>>
>>385077909
>Hates Black people and the Jews
Well, Matt won me over.
>>
>Joseph
>Has an adult wife
>Two kids
>Stimulates his mind through creative writing

>Matthew
>His gf is his little sister
>No kids(thank god)
>Fries his potato brain by playing SMT all day
>>
>>385105628
Fake, he doesn't he mention that Ulster will be free
>>
>>385077909
So, what is """review""" on objective and quantifiable facts? Reciting sales figures? System requirement? Control layout?
>>
>>385107281
>>His gf is his little sister
that's just Irish culture
>>
>>385079876
It's almost like BOTW is a really surface level game where the flaws are really immediate and fundamental
>>
>>385106937
The problem's the mental gymnastics and desperation, not the act of shitting on something itself you mong. If you're not Alex which I doubt then seriously read that shit some time, it's like some wacky conspiracy theory that assigns some bizarre ulterior motives to simple enjoyment. There's a reason his rant about competitive players being meanies is a meme.
>>
>>385106401
I don't hold much respect for one who puts up an 'aspie' strawman for scoreplayers who supposedly ignore all other aspects of the game like it's a fucking given, ignores the fact how scoring can be a measuring system for having mastered the game mechanics, and believes scoring only has a place as a substitute for stage progression. I am not joking when I say it is a massive case of 'stop liking what I don't like' and treating competitive scoring as an objective flaw other than a different direction which doesn't match up with his vague utopia.

I don't believe you have anything interesting to say on the matter since all you can do is quote his name like a fucking pseud, probably because you deluded yourself into thinking he must have something of substance to say because of the quantity he puts out (rambling against invisible forces every six sentences) and having actually spent money on his shit. He's often on the verge of saying something interesting, but then spergs out about someone and fails to make an argument why something is inherently bad WITHIN THE CONTEXT OF THE GAME which doesn't boil down to personal preference. You might say competitive gaming as a whole compared to sports is pointless because you say it doesn't fucking matter, but it sure can matter to me. Now what?

Make your point or fuck off with your shilling.
>>
File: Waaah! Reddit is too mean!.png (143KB, 604x584px) Image search: [Google]
Waaah! Reddit is too mean!.png
143KB, 604x584px
>>385077909
They don't know what they're talking about
>>
File: Untitled.png (371KB, 1079x620px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
371KB, 1079x620px
PSA

Chris Davis is the new Joseph Anderson.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgnPgGFT3fRVkXKL59iFDzQ
>>
File: hbgtfsgfsn.gif (726KB, 446x251px) Image search: [Google]
hbgtfsgfsn.gif
726KB, 446x251px
>>385079496
>Just play the video games and make your own opinions.
Are you literally autist? Don't you like to discuss about things you like with other people, hear their opinions and think about it?
>>
>>385077909
Guess this what happens when you call Dark Souls bad
>>
File: 65437.jpg (3MB, 1686x2000px) Image search: [Google]
65437.jpg
3MB, 1686x2000px
>>385107118
I disagree completly. Oblivion is def cheerful. Mostly because of it's overuse of bloom and contrast. It's overly bright and colorful.

Also if I showed you two towns in Oblivion, you wouldn't name them. But if I showed you two towns in Morrowind, you could easy. Obviously Morrowind has more to draw from because culture mishmash, but that's not excuse for every single European town to be almost identical except for building placement. They literally hand made like 7 buildings, and just copy and pasted them for every town.

You can't tell Chorrol apart from Leyawiin, other than one has a big tree in the plaza. Compared to Morrowind? Balmora and Maar Gan couldn't be more different.
>>
>>385107339
>>385107281
Hi Joseph
>>
Cybershell is the best sonic youtuber
>>
>>385107548
From the titles of that video alone he seems pretty much tailor-made to be "/v/'s guy".

>>385107281
>Fries his potato brain by playing SMT all day
I think he just has like three or four rabid fans who keep asking him about SMT, which he himself seems to be getting annoyed by. He doesn't want to be the "SMT guy" either.

>>385107624
To be honest, I couldn't name you a single town from any Elder Scrolls, since the only one I played was Oblivion and that was years ago.
I'm more of a Gothic guy.

I really don't think Oblivion has much of an art style to it, atleast not in a way to create emotions. Bloom is not necessarily cheerful. I mean, does Peter Jackson's LotR seem cheerful to you? It is somewhat whimsical, but not cheerful. Oblivion might be more colourful than Skyrim, but that does not say much.
>>
>>385107808
Shaymay i still better and is more autistic
>>
GeminiLaser is my favourite youtube reviewer. He makes classic Megaman walkthrough showoff reviews, talking about mechanics and level design and what comes up on the way, but he has a very strong script, which means his 10 minute videos take forever to come out, sometimes month. He is pretty much on hiatus right now.
>>
>>385107963
>From the titles of that video alone he seems pretty much tailor-made to be "/v/'s guy".

CRITIQUE: Horizon Zero Dawn - Incredible story, decent gameplay

?
>>
>>385080575
Mark Brown is a cool dude.
>>
So is SuperRedditHop a faggot or not?

It seems unclear. Faggot as in actually gay, I mean.
>>
>>385108214
Not really. He's a snarky douchebag, but he makes really good videos on game design.
>>
>>385108372
George is only gay for Big Boss, which is perfectly fine.
>>
>>385108480
Well, everybody's gay for big boss.
>>
>>385107475
I don't think you know what a conspircy theory is.
>>
>>385108372
He's a cuck.
>>
>>385077909
the right side seems better
>>
>>385108372
What's the problem people have with SBH? I mean, I don't watch his stuff all that much, but when I do he seems decent. He is a bit artsy-pretentious, but I think it is fine to a certain degree. His sock videos are silly and I can see why people are annoyed by them, but they don't really take away from the quality of his videos.
He is an actual journalist, isn't he? Of all the youtube reviewers, he seems to be the one to do the most genuine journalistic stuff like researching shit, asking questions to developers, etc.
>>
>>385108986
I said it's LIKE a conspiracy theory, not that it's literally a conspiracy theory
>>
>>385109167
>He is a bit artsy-pretentious
That's the problem people have. That and his humour, I guess.
>>
>>385109167
He made a Trump joke in one of his yearly recap videos and a fairly large part of these, I'd call, academic or psuedo-academic circles' audiences is heavily right-leaning.
>>
>>385107281
Literally nothing wrong with dating your imouto.
>>
>>385109375
*left-leaning
It's pretty obvious that George is pro-free market which is why the Trump joke even came up, him being a protectionist and all.
It's just so silly to see people get up in arms over it.
>>
>>385109263
I think it is fine to have a pretentious voice in the crowd as long as that voice can back their claims up and is generally coherent.

>>385109375
>academic audiences are right-leaning
Eh?

Don't answer that eh, let us not go down that rabbit hole.
>>
Is there any reviewer who does this kinda content but shorter? Like I've got twenty minutes to kill while I'm eating and rather than rewatch IASIP for the 22nd time or something
>>
>>385109246
It's nothing like a conspiracy theory at all, it's a psychological theory
>>
>>385102082
>5 hours
Autism is running wild on youtube.
>>
>>385104929
Oh boy, you are an idiot, my friend.
>>
>>385077909
>I think it would be a fun exercise to try and make one of these
I was going to but that takes forever to edit and do the voice over for. I just stick with doing normal, 10min reviews.
>>
>>385109565
Well "a fairly large part" implies the rest is left or moderate.

It's just a fine line they walk where they cast a wide net to get the audiences for their material and are at risk at alienating a fairly substantial part if they bring up anything political at all forever.
>>
>>385109597
>I think it is fine to have a pretentious voice in the crowd as long as that voice can back their claims up and is generally coherent.
Yeah, sure. It's not like he goes full retard though. He has his ideas and they make sense based on his perspective. It's why I can't stand people like hbomber or whatever his name is, because he's not only pretentious, but his reasoning makes no sense either. The whole DaS2 thing was a trainwreck. He seriously tried to argue that a segmented, incoherent world was not only intentional but also makes the game better because it makes it more exciting and less predictable. Made it feel ''magical'' or something. I don't think you'd see George make an argument like that.
>>
>>385091464
sick game reviews sticks out more. Who the fuck is John Smith and why do I care? John Smith sounds like just some lad who's uploading his gaming shares from his PlayStation onto his YouTube account
>>
File: IMG_4377.jpg (32KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4377.jpg
32KB, 400x400px
https://youtu.be/kFQAucOHB_o
All this arguing and you don't even appreciate the most underrated lad of them all.
>>
>>385109687
It's not a psychological theory, it's guesswork. There's no evidence, research, citations. There's nothing but a very elaborate belief system based on strawmen, imaginary scenarios, personal experiences and guesswork. It's like he hasn't personally talked with anyone who plays games for score. Though I guess I was wrong calling it a conspiracy theory because conspiracy theorists have a much higher standard of evidence than that.
>>
File: 1500065977244.png (66KB, 200x176px) Image search: [Google]
1500065977244.png
66KB, 200x176px
>>385110113
I just watched that video earlier. Pretty good.
I also like Clemps.
>>
>>385079841
It is supposed to be a more racist version of 1913 America. Yet, not one use of words like nigger, spade, spook, porch monkey, jungle bunny, spear chucker, coon or the one that could get your ass beat back then - nigra. No mick, spic, gook, chink, kike, bug, jook, kraut, frog, pogue, camel jockey, curry muncher or other equivalents to. Irrational Games played their depiciton of racism so safe they ended up accidentally making the game racist because we never see anything that actually justified bloody revolution.
>>
>>385077909
>hey guyz I found this new reviewer and since I missed the boat with Matthew, I'm going to hop onto this guy while he's still fresh and boast about just how great he is only because I got to him while he was still new

This is what ojofags were like when the 2012 anime came out, fuck off.
>>
File: 1466549487916.png (125KB, 296x313px) Image search: [Google]
1466549487916.png
125KB, 296x313px
>>385077909
>tfw lorerunner and Joseph are murdering MatthewMickgoysis in views now
>>
What does /v/ think of Asalieri? He reviews reviewers.
>>
File: 1474246983953.jpg (67KB, 500x314px) Image search: [Google]
1474246983953.jpg
67KB, 500x314px
A bit of a common trend I see is when people dislike someone because they don't always agree with what they say or because of his political ideas.
Campster/Errant Signal is pretty disliked around here but I enjoy most of his videos. Do I agree with everything he says? No, but that doesn't stop me from finding his content interesting, even if some of his reasonings are a bit of a stretch and tends a bit towards over-analyzation, he still has interesting and unique input in the way he talks about games and always explains his reasonings to a certain extent by giving examples, definitions and reference books without feeling like the guy is just bragging about how academic he is. The Beginner's Guide video is fantastic for example.

Innuendo Studios is also fairly similar but is even more into philology. It's a nice change of style over other equally interesting but more mechanically focused channels that only talk about gameplay.
>>
>>385110263
It's not a scientific theory, stupid
>>
>>385110508
Good. No surrender the pope's a bender
>>
File: dragon.jpg (124KB, 997x873px) Image search: [Google]
dragon.jpg
124KB, 997x873px
how many dragon dildos does joe own and wich models?
>>
>>385110584
Yeah, it's good ol bullshit guesswork from an incredibly stubborn paranoid cunt who chooses to believe that all competitive/score-focused players have a mental illness because he couldn't come up with a better way to fit the appreciation people have for those games into his very narrow worldview
>>
>>385077909
>>hates Jews and blacks
pfff who doesnt?
>>
File: 1500442520718.gif (1MB, 260x146px) Image search: [Google]
1500442520718.gif
1MB, 260x146px
I respect Joseph Anderson for sticking through all the grind and bore in Darkest Dungeon to beat it after 80 hours. I played it for about 32-34hrs and each time I started the game there after, it literally put me to sleep. Like my main time to play is after 12hrs of work and that shit would put me in a coma, flat. One time, I started the game, got a large iced latte, then 8minutes into the Weld, I was asleep on my chair. Yet, he stuck through it, despite admitting it was a repetitive, uninspired chore with grind walls at every junction, just to beat it for his review.

I gave up, or rather, have given up on beating Darkest Dungeon, yet he didn't. He is the better man and I respect that.
>>
>>385110902
Considering the speedrunning community which is essentially the same thing as scoring, I'd say he has a point. And score is boring desu
>>
>>385077909
Time for a E-celeb board because this isnt about videogames yet it has 341 replies.
>>
>>385111337
the mods disagree
>>
>>385111295
>he doesn't know the joy of selfimprovement
>>
>>385111385
The mods don't fucking know what they want. One day it's ok then the next it's not. Hell, maybe even later this same day it won't be allowed again.
>>
>>385111228
Mark Brown did a video on morality and he does bring up Darkest Dungeon and how you can play it like a heartless bastard. Rather than attaching yourself to characters, you use them as an ends to a mean and toss them away once they've run out of use. It makes things way less frustrating.
Though, I still think the game is flawed in its battle system and relying too much on randomness, but when you take the morality into consideration it can be argued this was intentional.
>>
>>385111693 I wish you'd people would go shit up a different thread desu
>>
>>385110440

No slavery even. The blacks went to Columbia, then they were denied the good jobs, respect and used as cheap labor. That sucks but how is that any different than immigrants today? I know you're trying to bait but there was no real hate towards blacks in Infinite. I myself was expecting lynching, unfair capital punishments and mob attacks. Instead all we got was "da white man is evils!" despite them taking them up to live above the clouds.
>>
File: 1500870663874.png (31KB, 974x522px) Image search: [Google]
1500870663874.png
31KB, 974x522px
I like Noah Gervais's videos. they're super comfy for me.
I especially like this one because as a kid I wasn't able to buy many games and wasn't smart enough to pirate and avoid viruses so I downloaded mods instead.
https://youtu.be/gpbFtCUqM0M
>>
>>385111861
You're clearly not wishing hard enough, cockgobbler.

Blocked
>>
>>385111295
It's not really the same thing as scoring, and while GDQ may be concentrated autism that doesn't mean all speedrunning communities are like that. Even ESA is much better. Scoring can be boring or fun, depends on the game.
>>
>>385079496
I bet you hate book clubs
>Why would you talk about a book for 60 minutes just read the book and come up with your own opinion
>>
>>385077909
Joseph Anderson rationalize his emotions, Matthewmatosis rationalizes game design decisions.
>>
>>385079686
He got a lot of flak because he literally contradicted himself in his own video which by the way is something he always because he's not an economical writer and goes on rants for hours. At least Matt is not that kind of autist.
>>
>>385112163
Using his own emotions
>>
>>385077909
>Times New Roman VS Comic Sans
lel
>>
>>385112163
This.
>>
>>385112163
That's one of Matthew's biggest failings. Too much time spent trying to guess what the reason behind x decision is, often wrong too.
>>
>>385112163
Anderson is a hack. He never gets into discussing the actual depth of the level design in the games he reviews, he just's describing his playtime with the game as if it were a Let's Play most of the time.
>>
>>385094097
>>Stop talking about video games reeeeeeeeeee
>>
>>385112554
>He never gets into discussing the actual depth of the level design in the games he reviews
That's wrong, though. Any time he focuses on individual levels he talks about the various ways you can approach the challenges or various ways they can play out. Another example is Furi. He talks about the game's depth, describing the basics and then talks about the more advanced mechanics. Matthew briefly mentions some of it and that's it.
>>
>>385111891
I think we're in agreement. I was at least expecting something in the general tone of interactions between characters. Other than things like Fink's display of an interracial couple at the beginning (and there's at least a few holes in the story by that point) we never get a sense of active racial hatred. It's as if Levine and co. could never conceive of what out-and-out racism would actually look like if it didn't have to hide, and was not so much tolerated or approved of as it was the normal every day sentiment. The failure there is of a piece with everything else wrong with the game.
>>
>>385112803
T. Joseph Anderson
>>
>>385112920
Is it not a case of a game being afraid to depict it in any real form? Like shying away from slurs and beatings and stuff
>>
>>385112554
Probably because he actually reviews platformers but Matt is way better than Joseph at discussing level design.
>>
>>385113215
I wish I got 4,000 bux on patreon for doing fuck all
>>
>>385077909
>left person loves fallout 3 and 4
>defends dark souls 2 when hbomberguy gets shit on
Yea.. fuck off.
>>
File: 1467286410579.jpg (60KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1467286410579.jpg
60KB, 400x400px
Why does everything on /v/ devolve into
>x is better than y
>no y is better than x
Why are we obsessed with ranking things or trying to compare games in some "objective" way? Is it autism?
>>
>>385106758
>>385077909

You both forgot to add:

> JA
> Stable family life with wife and two children

> Matthew
> Fucks his mentally handicapped sister
>>
I used to watch Turbo Button a lot, I still do whenever he drops something, but recently I've been following NakeyJakey and Mark Brown
>>
>>385111479
It's more fun when the game reacts to you in more ways than numbers, which was sort of his point
>>
>>385113858
wtf i love matthewmatosis now
>>
>>385112803
>another example is Furi
JA didn't even really talk about each boss in particular (like Matt) other than providing some minor examples for the variety and gameplay system as a whole. I have seen a random autist on the internet post a more in-depth write-up on Furi than these jokers did
>>
>>385099781
He isn't wrong. When it comes to individual level design and combat nothing beats DaS3 (and BB)
>>
le mother fuckign dragon xDDD
when does the narwhal bacon bros???
>>
>watching vidya reviews

Quickest way to out yourself as a pleb.
>>
>>385114508
>Giving a damn at all
>>
>>385079496
you are a nigger confined to the depths of plebdom, but i shall not weep for you
>>
>>385114203
That's a dumb point, all scoring games react to you in more ways than numbers. And scoring systems change the way you play drastically. The numbers are an additional layer. Saying that the layer's too abstract is kind of a pointless complaint. No one has come up with a viable alternative to scoring that's not a similarly abstract system. It's not worth pursuing either because nobody besides top tier autists like icycalm have problems with abstract systems in games.
>>
>>385080517
And Matt's was better.
>>
>>385094319
Holy fuck read a book you pleb.
>>
>>385115034
Which book?
>>
>everyone wants to see matthewphimosis talk about mgsv or bloodborne
>he talks about shitty indie crap no one cares about

Cant wait for his next shitty video a year from now
>>
>>385115113
Start with Gilgamesh, then move onto either the Bible or the Iliad. The Bible is much much better than the Iliad, but you might find it too dry (it's metal af though). The Iliad, while worse, is basically one long 300 action scene as a poem.
>>
>>385115140
Thank God, we've got enough people pouring their opinions on AAA games upon our heads.
>>
>>385080726
Are you retarded? Is that english or you just had a stroke?
>>
>>385115224
What does that have to do with video games nigger?
>>
>>385115224
>(it's metal af though
> DUDE GENETIC LINEAGE LMAO

The Bible is fucking trash. new testament is better though.
>>
>>385114913
> no one has come up with a viable alternative to scoring
Of course they have, the alternative has been to simply remove it. Scoring, outside of multiplayer games, has become niche.
>>
>>385083080
>God tier
You can safely add Accused Farms and Ahoy here

>Good tier
And Avalanche Reviews here

>Bad/Shit/Delete this tier
>gggmanlives
>MrBTongue
>raycevick
>Noah Gervais
The fuck? Why?
>>
>>385115369
You'll realise why >>385094319 is so plebby.
>>385115392
Well yeah that'd be the dryness. If you can get past how well the Jews managed to simulate the inch-thick cake of dust on their dicks, you can get into the huge wars and the millions of angels and the smiting and the schizophrenic God and all that.

NT is kino af. The Adulteress bit is really surprising.
>>
>>385115634
>MrBTongue
He was anti-GG. He must die.
>>
>>385077909
joseph is retard
>>
>>385115563
Removing a gameplay system is the same as coming up with a viable alternative that keeps the pros but removes the cons? Great mentality. Them being niche doesn't say much about quality, difficult games in general are niche but I don't see anyone arguing against their existence.
>>
>>385079686
I actually really liked his BOTW video, I fucking love the game, but it's pretty obvious that like 5/6 of all the shrine content is complete trash, almost none of them were interesting in any way whatsoever. And while the different ways to tackle things is pretty good, basic combat is trash.
>>
>>385115647
I've read the bible yet I still don't see how it's plebby, wtf! Please help me understand patrician-kun
>>
>>385116220
game > sum of parts
>>
>>385116282
thanks
>>
>>385115952
Pros kept: solidified progression
Cons removed: pointless (well, not literally) abstraction.
>>
>>385116282
Yes, and? I've already pointed out that determining whether a game is good or bad is something the players have to do for themselves. The reviewer's job is to explain their own tastes in a comprehensive way. For technical aspects like level design, breaking games down into individual components is the more effective and productive way.
>>
>>385116613
You can't break them down into individual components because they do not exist as individual components.
>>
>>385116493
Pros not kept : additional unique depth coming from recontextualizing in-game actions, playstyle variety for static games, clearly defined metrics for good/bad play, competition
>>
>>385116668
You can and you will if you're analyzing games. Do you think someone who wants to know what makes a control scheme feel good will give a tit about a game's story?
>>
>>385117003
The control scheme cannot be isolated from the story, nor vice-versa. Take a look at Rain World for the most recent obvious example.

I don't really know what hypothetical story-hating control scheme fetishests has to do with anything anyway.
>>
>>385116846
What does this mean, already exists in any game with choice, only in the context of a scoring system and not needed, not needed
>>
>>385077909
Retarded autists like Joseph Anderson who make 3 hour reviews of videogames are cancerous as fuck because they're all hat and no cattle. Youtubers like Mark Brown are way more concise with their arguments.
>>
File: dark kremit.jpg (65KB, 735x528px) Image search: [Google]
dark kremit.jpg
65KB, 735x528px
Joseph Anderson would be totally irrelevant here without Matthewmatosis, as in, people literally only ever bring him up as a response to Matthewmatosis.
>>
>>385117343
Hehe kid..... I suggest you take back that statement about superior master Anderson or we have to take measures against you....
>>
Reminder to sage and report eceleb threads
>>
>>385077909
>hates niggers and kikes
/ourguy/ confirmed
>>
>>385117502
Imagine typing this out, reading it in your head, then solving the captcha and submitting it.
>>
>>385117530
Sage is not a downvote, faggot. Vidya reviewer threads are not against the rules.
>>
>>385117640
>vidya
I would reply but you said vidya. Kill yourself
>>
>>385117703
Hello newfag.
>>
>>385117196
Yes it can, you can look at what the game does with each one of your inputs and understand what makes certain types of controls feel good to you over others. Can look at the code if you want, even. Some elements will be very tightly linked to the control scheme, such as level design, some not at all like the story. What you're saying is bizarre.
>>
Joseph is kind of a guy who will describe you what is in the painting and will not talk about what the painting represents.

"I looked at Mona Lisa. It took me exactly 10 seconds to do. It is an oil painting on a canvas and it has frames around it."
>>
>>385117763
No you can't, because what feels good will depend upon what you are doing with the rest of the game, and more importantly, *what you want it to feel like will depend on the rest of the game*.
>>
>>385117747
Hello boogie2988
Hello my fellow VIDYA GAMER xD
Get it? Vidya
Vidya is a shortened version of video game
Instead of saying video game like a normal person, I have to ensure you know I browse 4chan daily, so to do that I'll say vidya! While in a vidya (get it?) Reviewer thread which is against the rules because it's not vidya (LOL)
>>
File: even jews hate him.jpg (69KB, 850x400px) Image search: [Google]
even jews hate him.jpg
69KB, 850x400px
>>385117554
Unfortunately, he is himself a potato, making him worse than niggers and kikes combined.
>>
>>385117403
Wow, you're right.
>>
>>385117859
>Imagine being this assblasted and typing this.
>>
File: 1362726666405.gif (2MB, 300x290px) Image search: [Google]
1362726666405.gif
2MB, 300x290px
>Games use programming tricks like Raiden in MGR:R having a microsecond slowdown in his animations to give it that OOMPH and lack of floatyness other combat can have
>Not a single reviewer has ever mentioned this, learned it secondhand from Total fucking Biscuit of all people
Game reviewers know FUCKING NOTHING about the technical side of video games and you absolutely have to understand that side of things to actually give a reason on WHY the combat "feels good" for your viewer.

Until game reviewers actually begin to understand the technical side of it instead of trying to pretentious artfags they'll unanimously be worthless
>>
>>385093097
I don't care what his political opinions are I'm mad he made a retrospective on the -shock games but didn't bother to play more than half an hour of System Shock 1 or even just look it up on wikipedia. High schoolers could do a better job of writing about it than he did because they'd at least have the sense to google it
>>
>>385117982
why would you bait us so
>>
>>385117295
Scoring gives you incentives to alter your strategies, basically. Games with choices aren't static, unless you mean depth which is meaningless without some sort of structure. As opposed to what, you judging how well you did on your own? Why is competition unnecessary? I find competing with others fun.
>>
>>385102058
Aside that he play lesser know games his review arent anything special. Also if he said shieeeeeeeet one more time I am coming to australia to beat the crap out of him.
>>
>>385118027
t. fucking retard.
Give me the critiquer/reviewer that's going in depth about the technical reasons that combat actually feels satisfying to execute. One. Just fucking one.

You can't.
This fucking new video game reviewer wave is just the same uninformative shit as IGN and Gamespot reviewers but with double the focus on "muh games as art" and pretension.
>>
>>385117950
Imagine having no response but "lol butthurt" to what I said
>>
>>385118162
OP
>>
>>385112327
Times New Roman is the perfect font to represent Joseph Anderson's voice
>>
>>385116493
All you're doing is changing it to your tastes
Competitive players and scorehunters will find less reason to play if you change the game to your tastes, that isn't necessarily an improvement, just a change. Though complaining about abstraction in videogames is silly when videogames that aren't simulators are 100% abstraction to begin with.

>>385117295
A scoring system serves as a means to encourage riskier and more aggressive play by making greater use of your given skillset (e.g. hang around on the bottom of the screen or point-blank an enemy for more points) even though you can play defensively all the time (compare playing Vanquish as a cover shooter or a cuhrazy game), and measuring performance to see how well you did in comparison to previous runs and other players and giving you something to strive towards other than completion which can increase the replay value of a thirty-minute long arcade game substantially.

If you were to straight-up remove the scoring system from any CAVE game, it'd be completely worse off because there's no incentive to use your skillset for anything but survival. Technically a superplayer wouldn't have to change his playstyle if the scoring was suddenly removed, but it's an important method of ENCOURAGING skillful behavior and giving more reason to replay an arcade game outside just for the sake of replaying because you like the game or to just get a clear.
>>
>>385118181
>imagine going on /v/ and complaining about memes made on /v/
>>
File: 1477021241053.jpg (262KB, 1284x980px) Image search: [Google]
1477021241053.jpg
262KB, 1284x980px
>>385118204
>Either of those two informative
>Not just bluster and buzzwords disguised as coherent thought
>>
>>385118319
Matt's DMC video does a lot of the kinda stuff you seem to want. So does his Dark Souls playthrough and probably others, but those are less tight.
>>
>>385079686
> The WIZARD DRAGON
> And the Joseph Anderson

The fuck is a Joseph Anderson?
I imagine what a wizard dragon is, I'm not stupid
>>
I like Mattew more. I feel like he puts a lot of tough into his videos and most importantly, how he tries to be as objective as possible. The thing is, he isn't. There's several times you can see he struggles with something he feels is objective or right, but it's biased towards his pov. Sometimes he does say it's his opinion but other times he doesn't.
What I want to say is that this flawed side of Mattew shows me he loves what he does. He's not trying to impress anyone, but more about showing himself he can do things right, and fails. But in that failure there's a lot of truth to be told. He doesn't sound too good to be true, he's no orator, but he gets things right and things wrong, and that humanity is what makes me trust in him. I don't agree with him, I just like to listen to what he says and pick the points that are accurate. Plus, as far as I've seen he always says he enjoyed the games to a bigger or lesser extend.

Joseph, on the other hand, tries too hard. He tries to impress or reeducate you in a forceful manner, pointing all the things possible and telling you what's wrong or right, but as other people said, in a very superficial way. He wants or tries to sound like an intellectual, but most of the time he does so based on his subjective opinions, and he doesn't realize thst. That doesn't mean he's wrong, quite the oppossite, he does try to go through everything a game offers you and pointing good and bad points, but it's usually what he considers good and bad, rather than what it actually is, or could be considered.

I do watch both reviewers to have different pov and compare opinions with mine, and see what I can pick from each one, but Joseph is that guy who's smart but tries too hard to look and sound smart, while Mattew is that guy that's smart but just does his thig, at it's own pace, without hurrying or wanting fame.
>>
>>385117856
Not really, it depends on your preference which can be shaped by your experiences with the game but can also exist independently of them. I can say with absolute certainty that I will always find a lack of jump input buffering clunky, and there is a reason it's universally used.
>>
>>385117982
There are some things you have to feel for yourself Anon
When something is tactile, you can only know by trying it out yourself. Nobody can tell you it.
>>
>>385118450
This is why you need to read a book.
>>
File: v.png (381KB, 563x467px) Image search: [Google]
v.png
381KB, 563x467px
>>
>>385118058
Lots of things give you incentive to alter your strategies, while being actually part of the game. Explain what you mean with static. Yes, with the game placing things that are actually part of the game in the way if I'm too shit or rewarding me if I'm good enough. Competition is generally boring, except occasionally with bros. Multiplayer games are competitive in a different way, since they use the enemy players as super-intelligent AI enemies.
>>
>>385118315
>Imagine going on /v/ and talking about video game reviewers instead of video games
>>
>>385118491
>When something is tactile, you can only know by trying it out yourself. Nobody can tell you it.
This is something you think because the industry is populated by people who are literally too retarded to recognize what made the combat feel good.

It's very possible to explain exactly why games feel good. Modern reviewers are just mostly incapable of it.
>>
>>385088757
I like Raycevick and Noah Caldwell-Gervais. Noah specially, because his videos are usually an hour long and he have this aesthetic thing going on every video
>>
>>385118515
Not an argument
>>
>>385118592
>imagine going on /v/ and expect discussing vidya
>>
>>385118669
lmaoing @ how much you disagree with me desu rn
>>
File: POL_in_POL.jpg (107KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
POL_in_POL.jpg
107KB, 900x900px
>>385118669
NICE ONE!
NOT AN ARGUMENT!!! GET IT?
>>
>>385118775
Not an argument.
>>
>>385077909
JA's videos are too long and repative while Matt occasionally suffers from bouts of severe autism/shit taste.

i like them both though
>>
>>385077909
>willing to use a blizzard character will critiqueing the hell out of blizzard games

Joseph Anderson is a cool guy
>>
>>385077909
They are tryhards.
/ourguy/ hasn't made a video in 3 years
>>
>>385118775
>complaining about /pol/
Did it trigger your feelings?
>>
File: 1480079240228.gif (1MB, 245x280px) Image search: [Google]
1480079240228.gif
1MB, 245x280px
>>385106758
>matthewphimosis
>>
>>385118401
I'm mostly shitposting trying to get suggestions. Ill check him out anon. Is that the norm for him?
>>
>>385118573
>Lots of things give you incentive to alter your strategies, while being actually part of the game
And scoring can be as much a part of the game as the rest.
>Competition is generally boring, except occasionally with bros. Multiplayer games are competitive in a different way, since they use the enemy players as super-intelligent AI enemies.
So videogame competition outside of multiplayer is meaningless? What did he mean by this?
>>
>>385118895
Next you'll call me a sjw cuck yadda yadda Trump is awesome yadda yadda just give it up reddit. Please go back
>>
>>385118279
It's all about my tastes, you think criticism is anything but? There's always someone who enjoys something no matter how bad it is. And non-sims aren't 100% abstraction. Just because your bullet doesn't simulate sub-atomic physics when it penetrates the head of an enemy doesn't mean that the game is all abstraction.
>>
>>385118573
>Lots of things give you incentive to alter your strategies
Name something that will make you leave dangerous enemies alive for lengthy periods of time, making the game significantly more difficult.
>Explain what you mean with static
No RNG, consistent strategies. Think Castlevania, once you've discovered a winning strategy, there's no point altering it because it works every time.
>rewarding me if I'm good enough
Rewarding with what? Currency? That's score. Rankings, moves or items? That's binary, it doesn't have a huge number of possibilities like scoring does.
>Competition is generally boring
To you, it isn't to me. Why should I care about your tastes?
>Multiplayer games are competitive in a different way
Both are fun in their own ways.
>>
>>385118940
Yes, he's got a degree in game design for some reason so he uses a lot of that stuff in his vids. But the DMC video is among his best so other vids aren't quite on the same level.
>>
>>385118984
>buzzwords
Yeah, you sound like you are butthurt.
>>
File: mmm.jpg (85KB, 922x613px) Image search: [Google]
mmm.jpg
85KB, 922x613px
>>385110508
Not only on views.
>>
>>385119105
Isn't butthurt a buzzword
>>
>>385119116
It's popular so it's bad.
>>
>>385080484
I love Sinn Fein memes
>>
>>385119181
You were the only one complaining about /pol/ because it makes you mad.
>>
>>385117403
You are not wrong. Matthewphimosis paved the way but got conquered by people that are better than him at his 'job'.
>>
>>385119283
/pol/ is the only board that leaks into other boards
Everything is degenerate to /pol/ but that doesn't stop them from going to other boards that have nothing to do with them (this board for example) and spouting their shitty reddit memes
>>
>>385119116
Man even Noah is getting more than Matt
>>
>>385119050
Currency isn't score, the word implies that you can actually spend it.
>>
>>385119373
>reddit memes
Yep, DEFINITELY butthurt.
>>
>>385091186
Normies want a suburban but they cant afford so they came with the aztec and now the successors of the aztec are the most popular cars in America.
Ford sold the panther until 2011 but only fleets bought them.
>>
>>385119046
>There's always someone who enjoys something no matter how bad it is
People who like things you don't like doesn't imply that those things are necessarily bad. I don't like SRPGs, but I wouldn't have the faintest clue what makes a SRPG good or bad to begin with.
>Just because your bullet doesn't simulate sub-atomic physics when it penetrates the head of an enemy doesn't mean that the game is all abstraction
Any kind of virtual representation of the real world is abstracted into variables, data and numbers only to be represented with computer graphics. Your HP must be depleted before you die, recoil determines the angle by which your pistol goes up or down when you fire. Computer programs which represent any kind of virtual space are abstractions by default, that's just how they work. It's absolutely pointless to bitch about what a game abstracting too much unless you're talking about the relationship between story and gameplay.

>>385119471
Please don't argue semantics and please don't ignore the rest of the post by arguing yourself into a corner.
>>
>>385119471
By itself it isn't, but currency rewards based on performance are scoring
>>
>hates niggers and jews
this guy

>black people
kill yourself
>>
Shamus Young because he has the right opinions and the autism to explain them in excruciating detail. See: his Mass Effect series review.
>>
>>385119719
I can't really respond properly since I'm a stupid phoneposter and can't reply fast enough especially since the thread is hitting bump limit in like 20 posts sorry, i took myself water over the head
>>
>>385115294
Nah, I had just fucked your mom too hard last night and was left a bit tired from it.
>>
>>385119373
Damn son, all I did was post an appropriate meme, no need to chimp out
>>
>>385118525
Hey Noah's video on HL1 mods had a lot of contributions,
Giving more coverage to under-rated or underplayed mods.
>>385111936
>>
>>385113794
Is X better than Y is an easy way to talk about the strengths and weaknesses of X and Y.
And the relationship between X and Y. Why do you think so many Fallout 4 reviews compare it to Fallout 3, New Vegas, and the earlier fallout games
>>
>>385115140
I prefer genuinely unknown or undiscussed indie games.
Not like the indie games everyone talks about, see:Inside, Fez, Stanley Parable.
I'm not saying Stanley Paraable is bad, but I get it.
>>
>>385115708
The problem I have with GG is so many things fell under the banner, that weren't related.
Shit like this is retroactively GG, when it's just complaining about crappy business practices.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JffUGI4Iwn8
>>
>>385117343
There's a place for both.
Some people prefer long-form content, others prefer more condensed material.
That's why some radio shows are 15 minutes long and others are hour long.
>>
File: Frodo.jpg (44KB, 400x399px) Image search: [Google]
Frodo.jpg
44KB, 400x399px
>>385117797
What DOES the Mona Lisa represent?
How do you know that?
>>
>>385121787
Exactly.
>>
>>385117797
Poor analogy. You can not interact with the painting and the painting's structure can not be objectively judged like video games.
>>
>>385121787
It represents a bitch that a nigga knew
>>
>>385121905
>her nose is three inches big and she has eyes which are #FFF000111 coloured
>>
>>385121905
Everyone interacts with paintings
The moment you think about it, you have interact with it.
>>
>>385122116
This is true but it's also kind of like calling a pigeon a dinosaur.
>>
>>385122047
The panting has no function is what I meant. You can play a game, but you can not play a painting. There are no mechanics. You can admire it and think about the meanings behind it and all, but it's still just a work of art. I know this is going to come off as pretentious but, video games transcend that.
>>
>>385093726
>buzzwords
>summer
>newfag
>reddit
What is projection, Anon?
>>
>>385077909
Both are unbearable. Matthew is a psuedo intelletual know it all. And Joseph is a whiney nitpicker about everything. At least matthew seems to enjoy videogames at least somewhat though.
>>
>>385122252
Vidya doesn't transcend that. Everything about it is art. There are no objectively good or bad things in vidya (at least not in the way that term is used on /v/).

And of course there are mechanics. Colour theory and shit.
>>
>>385122345
>psuedo intelletual
And you aren't? You can't even spell the word let alone explain what it means and how it applies. This is only posted as an insult by people who pretend they know more than they do.
>>
>>385122252
Panting has function. Helps your mom get air back in her lungs for round two.
>>
Matthew's recent Souls vid was one of my favorite analysis videos, period, it was the first time you could tell he was really passionate about what he was talking about.
>>
>>385122401
>There are no objectively good or bad things in vidya
There absolutely are. A game that's not running well or crashes is objectively flawed. If the developer intended a game to do one thing, but it ends up doing something else, it is flawed. With art these days, you can think of any bullshit reason why something is pure genius thanks to the post-modernist movement, but video games' mechanics and the raw coding can and should be judged objectively.
>>
>>385077909
>logo is a motherfucking dragon
You mean a motherfucking ad for his book
>>
>>385122484
What?!
>>
>>385122604
>If the developer intended a game to do one thing, but it ends up doing something else, it is flawed
What if it's actually an improvement? Take the famous Street Fighter example, or juggling in DMC.
>thanks to the post-modernist movement
This is gonna blow your mind but people have been doing that since forever.
>>
>>385122467
Matthew literally doesnt know what hea talking about in some vids. Take his tetris vid for example where he 'proves' tetris the greatest game. The thing is I can make the same arguments for a game like Snake or just call it Line. A simple line catching a dot is a much more perfect than teris. Or maybe agar.io as an example of a more perfect game that only works as a videogame. His arguments have tons of holes and its easy to look over them if you are a blind sheep.
>>
>>385122604
What if the author died? How do I know how to feel about a game then? What if they're a lying cunt? Doesn't sound too objective to me man.
>>
>>385122725
>What if it's actually an improvement? Take the famous Street Fighter example, or juggling in DMC.
Well, that is true. Certain unintended side-effects do end up improving the game. Sometimes enough for them to be expanded into mechanics of their own. But, things like game breaking glitches and framerate issues are objective flaws.
>>
>>385122792
He meant perfect in that it couldn't be improved, not perfect in that it was the best game ever.
>>
>>385122881
The games I mentioned cannot be improved either. What is your point?
>>
>>385122792
>having to go that far to disprove that trainwreck of a video
Could just point out that Tetris has been improved in many ways since its creation. Even the version he's playing is a big improvement over the original.
>>
>>385122874
But if it's not always bad then it's not an objective flaw. You still have to use your own subjective reaction to judge the glitches. I do agree that, regardless, 99% of the time it's a flaw, but it's not something which can be judged objectively.
>>385122983
That you agree with Matt?
>>
Matt actually has a funny side unlike Joseph who is just a mundane person all around out of youtube and part of youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5eZuBZN6zg

Matt seems more like a actual normal person opposed to Jewseph.
>>
>>385122983
What do you mean ''what's your point?'' The point was that you were wrong in your assumption.
>>
>>385122992
That was going to be my next step in my argument with the fellow, after he said b-but Snake can be improved! But thanks.
>>
>>385123141
So if you combine them together does that make it......Mundane Matt?
>>
>>385123172
>>385123093
The point is tetris is not special. There are plenty of other games that have the same merit in their simplicity of design and gameplay. Him choosing tetris is arbritary and doesnt actually show any insight whatsoever.
>>
>>385123141
Yeah. The "x had me grinning the whole time" is the sign of a dishonest person.
>>
File: 132_Ditto_AG_Shiny.png (57KB, 898x776px) Image search: [Google]
132_Ditto_AG_Shiny.png
57KB, 898x776px
Posting some obscure ones in order of preference

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqD0cS7348vy9atmJKt5w0g
Really good reviews on Sonic and Mega Man X, I would call him Joseph Anderson Jr. due to his content and style.

https://www.youtube.com/user/KingdomKlannad
Has a pretty good retrospective on Pac-Man World and someone who reviews remasters too. Has a nice look on Pokèmon

https://www.youtube.com/user/augoosto11
An underrated one

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPlWv88ZRMxCcK3BGjrX7ew
Mark Brown/Errant Signal hybrid
>>
>>385123386
He choose Tetris probably because he likes Tetris and thought it'd be interesting to analyze it.
>>
>>385123386
His choosing tetris IS arbitrary. It's an example.
>>
But Tetris is perfect. Its mechanics, aesthetics and game modes have improved over time, but the gameplay core has been kept intact. Like, holy shit, are you guys fucking idiots?
>>
>>385123471
>sign of a dishonest person
Maybe it's just because he was funny you absolute spaz.
>>
>>385123480
>Really good reviews on Sonic and Mega Man X, I would call him Joseph Anderson Jr. due to his content and style.
He sounds a bit goofy, but the writing style is a bit similar I guess.
>>
>>385123612
No I mean when a reviewer says that about a game that's not humorous. Like fucking bloodborne.
>>
>>385122992
I don't think that holds are actually an improvement on Tetris.
Nor are the "fixed" RNG.
http://tetris.wikia.com/wiki/Random_Generator
Thread posts: 525
Thread images: 64

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.