[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

When will game devs stop thinking that open world = good?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 5

File: maxresdefault.jpg (151KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
151KB, 1280x720px
When will game devs stop thinking that open world = good?
>>
Bad devs make open world games
Okay devs make linear games
Good devs make mission/level-based games
Best devs make open world games that secretly funnel the unsuspecting player down the linear path
>>
I enjoyed that Breath of the Wild was an extremely literal open world game.
>wake up
>you can literally go fight the last boss RIGHT NOW
>everything, even the "main quest" is optional and done for the sake of optimizing your ability to defeat the end boss
>>
>>385077254
When will people stop citing Utopia as an example when the devs mentioned repeatedly that this was a tech demo, and if they were to make an actual Sonic game it would have focused linear levels?
>>
>>385077254
BotW set us back 5 years until the next fad comes
>>
It's not that open or linear games are bad. It's that bad games will always be bad games, regardless. Even when people were complaining about linear games in the 00s, it was because games got worse and they are still bad, dragged down by business suits and people who don't even enjoy making games anymore. They all do it as a job and thats where it went wrong.
>>
>>385077805
>Make a tech demo
>Make it not represent the vision that they have planned for the future
???
>>
>>385077254
When children with low standards and even lower budgets stop purchasing them. I.E. never.
>>
>>385077254
That was a very fun demo.
>>
>>385078005
>instead of wasting time developing a level for a game that doesn't exist how about having a bunch of physics objects and setpieces to let people play around in your engine to get those creative juices flowing
wowwww????? so hard to understand????
>>
>>385078345
But why do that if it doesn't reflect your creative vision? Why mislead people on what your goal is going to be?
>>
File: 1444944243717.png (4KB, 274x274px) Image search: [Google]
1444944243717.png
4KB, 274x274px
>>385078005
Yes, that's effectively what a tech demo is. It's a simple demonstration of the technology used to create a the game. In this case, they used it as an example to show the myriad of ways that momentum based physics could work in a 3D plane. This is all very straight forward.
>>
>>385077254
This was a test stage numbnuts, it was meant to test out different concepts.
>>
File: 1500871242082.jpg (26KB, 470x561px) Image search: [Google]
1500871242082.jpg
26KB, 470x561px
>>385078458
I like your reply better, so I'll agree with you.
>>
>>385077254
When people stop buying bad open world games.
>>
>>385078436
Test levels aren't supposed to just reflect the creative vision of the game, they exist solely to test out the physics and how the game plays.
Besides, how is it misleading when they're outright saying that it's a test level. Are you retarded
>>
>>385078436
because it's a fucking tech demo not a "this is exactly what the game is going to be like" demo.
>>
>>385077254
When you people stop buying the zero effort open world games that get shat out every other month.
>>
File: 1499160510209.gif (2MB, 244x194px) Image search: [Google]
1499160510209.gif
2MB, 244x194px
>>385077454
This is pretty true now that I think about it.
>>
>>385077454
>Best devs make open world games that secretly funnel the unsuspecting player down the linear path

So Mario Odyssey?
>>
>It's a tech demo stupid XD!

There's been like 5-6 3D Sonic tech demos with pinball physics by fans. Utopia didn't beat anyone to the punch. It's not even better than the ones that came before it. The only thing it did was polish up the presentation so that shitty news sites and dumb nostalgia fags can post it over and over again.
>>
>>385077454
>Best devs make open world games that secretly funnel the unsuspecting player down the linear path
Don't exist.
>>
>>385080329

fall out new vegas. everyone went all the way to novac from the same route in their first playthrough.
>>
>>385078094
this
>>
>>385078001
this. /v/ hates open world games for the wrong reason
>>
>>385080498
and new vegas is shit, so there's that.
>>
Did you fucking faggots just not start playing games until 2005? There were just as many objectively terrible linear games.

Open world is no more inherently bad than linearity and both could go down horribly in the wrong hands.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.