[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So what determines if a game is considered a JRPG/WRPG? Is it

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4

File: 1496444674758.jpg (67KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
1496444674758.jpg
67KB, 1024x768px
So what determines if a game is considered a JRPG/WRPG? Is it the style of the gameplay or just where the game was developed?
>>
J = jap[ane

W = west

exmple:
MGS5/Zelda are JRPG's
GTAOnline is a WRPG

now stop asking dumb questions
>>
>>385069641
If you're referring specifically to the J vs the W, it's based on where the game was developed.
>but that's stupid, it says nothing about what the game is like!
Yeah, well, I didn't say it was a good term. And if you think that's dumb, what about the "RPG" part? JRPG and WRPG video games rarely involve "role playing".

If someone comes up with a better, more descriptive way of classifying these games I would appreciate it.
>>
>>385069641
It seems everyone has their own shitty opinion on this, but these are the facts: if a game was produced mostly in Japan then it's a Japanese game and if it's an RPG as well that makes it a Japanese RPG. So JRPG does not describe the gameplay, and an action RPG or a strategy RPG can be a JRPG. But you wouldn't CALL them a JRPG if you were trying to tell somebody what type of game they were because it's not descriptive enough on it's own.
>>
File: lookhere.png (268KB, 418x430px) Image search: [Google]
lookhere.png
268KB, 418x430px
>>385071256
I disagree. I'm gunna use a food analogy here.
If someone somewhere in Europe makes mexican food, its not called European food, its Mexican food. Its emulating mexican quisine.
Western RPGs are generally action oriented. If some jap devs make an action RPG, it would be considered a WRPG. If it were the other way around, and the J/W just refers to where the game was made, that would be completely useless and unnecessary.
>>
>>385069923
The only dumb question is one that isn't asked :^)
>>
>>385073123
Theres a reason nobody replied to his obvious comedic bait
>>
File: 1496290590474.png (4KB, 263x263px) Image search: [Google]
1496290590474.png
4KB, 263x263px
>>385069641
It's both, for better and for worse it's both even though it should be as >>385072896 states.
>>
>>385072896
The food analogy literally changed my view on the subject, not even joking
>>
>>385070131
I prefer "stat-based games" instead of JRPG, because most JRPGs have such systems. It's also not a perfect term. Certainly describes what's going on more than roleplaying
>>
>>385073532
I think everybody would agree, its just everyones too used to calling them RPGs at this point
>>
>>385073123
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people that ask questions
>>
>>385069641
Are the Souls games considered JRPG?
>>
>>385072896
i'm okay with calling rpgs made in the typical jrpg style, jrpg's no matter where they're made but
>if some jap devs make an action rpg, it would be considered a WRPG
no i'm pretty sure it would be considered an ACTION RPG
>>
>>385074406
I goofed that part up, was hoping no one would catch it. Was too proud of my mexican analogy and wasn't thinking about what I was saying.
>>
>>385069641
It's whether the faggots on reddit can talk about it without the thread descending into arguments about American-made Japanese food and links to that stupid Extra Credits video.
>>
>>385072896
>Western RPGs are generally action oriented.
The first 20 years of western RPG history was almost entirely turn based. You git.
>>
>>385077032
Well he said are, not was
>>
>>385069641
How close the armor looks to history book armor
>>
File: IMG_1989.png (409KB, 800x1000px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1989.png
409KB, 800x1000px
>>385069641
I guess jrpg in the world of video games is like anime in the whole animation, it has certain style which was originaly invented in Japan, that's all.
>>
>>385072896
I agree with you but I think that a better definition for WRPG is a video game which tries to emulate the pen & paper RPG feel because that's what basically all classics of the genre do. Combat is not usually the main draw of the game, the freedom to tackle situations in plenty of ways which usually depend on the skillset of your character and choosing your own way of playing (aka "roleplaying") is. In many WRPGs considered good you can basically skip most/all of the combat if your characters skills make it possible. The gameplay of JRPGs is usually mostly about the combat, even if the game is story heavy.

These genre definitions are always hazy of course, but in general this is how it goes. Then again there are stuff like dungeon crawlers which are basically a western genre too but have the pnp rpg part at a minimum.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.