[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Japan cannot into open worl-

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 8

File: way-of-the-samurai-4-3[1].png (3MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
way-of-the-samurai-4-3[1].png
3MB, 1920x1080px
>Japan cannot into open worl-
>>
>penniless samurai
>pennies aren't Japanese currency
>huh?
>nice job translating dork
>>
>>385055667
penny can be used to refer to any type of currency.
>>
File: 1371421825788.jpg (33KB, 220x248px) Image search: [Google]
1371421825788.jpg
33KB, 220x248px
>>385055667
>you can only not have your own country's currency
dis nigga serious lol
>>
they actually do it better, surprisingly enough
>>
Open World implies size.
>>
File: 1359575535810.jpg (17KB, 260x329px) Image search: [Google]
1359575535810.jpg
17KB, 260x329px
>Open World implies size
>Open World implies size
>Open World implies size
>Open World implies size
>Open World implies size
>Open World implies size
>Open World implies size
>>
File: 209835.jpg (125KB, 800x606px) Image search: [Google]
209835.jpg
125KB, 800x606px
>>385055403

Japan was doing open world on the NES with Zelda and Dragon Quest. And games like BotW and Dragon Quest XI still do it better than western games.

It's the west which can't into open world. Well, on rare occasions they can like RDR.
>>
>>385057779
I think everyone agrees R* is the only Western company which can make a nice open world
>>
>>385057779
>And games like BotW and Dragon Quest XI still do it better than western games.
kek. you believe that kiddo, i'm sure it will help with your delusion.
>>
>>385057779
>BotW
can we stop with this lie already?
most of us by now have played it, the game is nothing to brag about
>>
>>385058342
t. 16 year old
>>
>>385058342

Feel free to provide western examples and not just a hot opinion.

>>385058426

BotW shouldn't win awards for doing new things, but it clearly is one of the better open world games out there because it took the best elements of all the other open world games and refined them.
>>
>>385058775
>and refined them.
they didn't refine anything. It's a good game, but that's it, it poses no depth in any aspect.
>>
>>385059107

They did refine some stuff. You can at least admit they refined stuff like temperature changes (something Skyrim needed a mod to do) or hunting (improved from RDR) or better teleportation (improvement over Twilight Princess). Again, I'm not saying BotW came up with any of these ideas. But it just took them from other sources and improved them.
>>
>>385059487
temperature is cool I'll admit that. Hunting isn't really a part of the game because you have no reason to hunt animals like you did in, let's say RDR.
>>
>>385057779
Calling the Dragon Quest series "open world" is retarded.
>>
>>385057779
>RDR.
>literally an empty desert
Open world fags are so deluded.
>>
File: rdr_talltrees.jpg (409KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
rdr_talltrees.jpg
409KB, 1280x720px
>>385059905

>Hunting isn't really a part of the game because you have no reason to hunt animals like you did in, let's say RDR.
Except to make food, sell for money and do some NPC quests. Or just for fun.

>>385060096

Are you retarded? They're the epitome of open world.

>>385060224

>hasn't even gotten through the first half of RDR and thinks he's an expert
>>
People have no fucking clue what open world is
Dragon Quest is not open world
Way of the Samurai is not open world. It's open city.
>>
>>385055667
Foreign currency is her fetish. She likes to put them into holes. That's why she is mad about it.
>>
File: wat.jpg (168KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
wat.jpg
168KB, 512x512px
>>385056382
>Open World implies size.
no it fucking does not
>>
>>385055403
I wish the PC port wasn't a broken piece of shit that Ghostlight abandoned instead of fixing.
>>
>>385060531
If DQ is open world, so is any JRPG that eventually gives you an airship/dragon/etc.
>>
>>385060591

>People have no fucking clue what open world is
>Dragon Quest is not open world
Yes, you clearly don't know what open world is.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_world

Open world allows players to explore without limitations of invisible walls or loading screens. Dragon Quest games do this (except IX because of bad limitations). Note that there is a difference between 'open world' and 'free roaming'. Though Dragon Quest has done both.
>>
>>385060531
>just for fun
No
>>
>>385060895

No. Something like Final Fantasy X is not an open world in any way. It has zones paths. When using an airship, it just warps you to a spot on the path. While a game like Final Fantasy VI is open world (though its not free roaming).

A game like Dragon Quest 1 is both open world and free roaming. Which is why you can cross a bridge and get your shit kicked in. Not unlike Zelda 1, where you can walk anywhere on the overworld and even enter late game dungeons right from the start.
>>
File: nofun_allowed.jpg (96KB, 448x473px) Image search: [Google]
nofun_allowed.jpg
96KB, 448x473px
>>385061090

I killed every animal I came across. And collected every fish I swam into. Sorry you can't have fun.
>>
>>385060901
What the shit are you talking about? DQ has an overworld map with towns and dungeons that load separately. Are you really going to sit here and say any game with an overworld map is now open world?
>>
>>385060531
>posts an empty mountainous area and ignores 90 percent of the rest of the map
You sure showed me.
>>
>>385061261

What you're talking about is non sequenced open worlds. If you're going to claim only those count, then a lot of games commonly cited as open world will no longer count. Including the GTA games on PS2, which had long loading screens in between cutscenes and after leaving some buildings. Hell, even Metroid Prime has loading screens. They just masked it with doors.

Read the link I provided to you. It clearly cites how Dragon Quest followed the model of Ultima. And Ultima followed the model of a few games before it. These are credited for being the first 'open world' games, given the limitations of the time.

>>385061356

You claimed the whole game was an empty desert. I provided an example of how it's not. Even in Mexico, the most barren part of the game, there's rivers, greenery and towns.
>>
>>385062000
I don't care what Wikipedia says, just because a game has some open levels doesn't make it open world.
>>
>>385062596

>I don't care what a source says, my defintion is the only true definition
If a game has an entire overworld that doesn't have any loading screens or breaks in it, then it's an open world. This is where the term comes from. And the term started back before there were games that lacked transitions between the overworld and a dungeon/town.

Zelda 1 and Dragon Quest 1 are still open worlds. Later Dragon Quest games like VIII and are still open worlds. Dragon Quest X, which is an MMO, is totally transitionless. And the previews for the upcoming Dragon Quest XI shows there isn't a transition between towns and dungeons anymore. While Zelda games on the other hand like Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword aren't because the 'overworld' is split into separate zones. But BotW is open world.

Do you get it yet?
>>
>Way of the Samurai thread finally
>it devolves into this

I HURT MYSELF TODAY
>>
>>385055403
d
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.