[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is everyone hating on this game? I have just finished the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 8

File: original.jpg (613KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
original.jpg
613KB, 1920x1080px
Why is everyone hating on this game? I have just finished the campaign and the story and ending are pretty shitty, but the game itself is ok. I mean, i have been playing Soulstorm nonstop since launch and obviously yes, they have changed the gameplay but i think it's not that bad, and i don't really understand some of the complaints.

>Elites make it a MOBA

It seems people have forgotten that in DOW 1 you also have "heroes", and that they are as gamechanging as in this one. Hell, playing with SM you can go from tier 1 to 3 just using the FC, the Librarian and the Chaplain with GK, and with their abilities combined (chaplain stun, GK storm, and Librarian nuke) you can obliterate almost any unit in the game. I don't get why people are so pissed about elites.

>Turrets and shields game mode.

I don't like that mode, but now you can play annihilation classic and it's just the same as in the old ones.

Anyway, it's obvious the game has flaws, but it's not that TERRIBLE.

I'm having fun with the mp, but almost no one is playing and i'm wondering why is no one returning to the game now that they are fixing it adding new maps and shit.
>>
>>385051615
A mix of too much hype, lacking some stuff from the other two games and triggering the fluffags with jumping terminators.
>>
>>385052030
You mean Gabby jump? That is certainly retarded, but hardly a reason to really dislike the game.
>>
1) High Expectations from a great series
2) It's mediocre
3) People can't face that they don't like RTS games anymore, and lash out
>>
>>385051615
Game feels like it needs to be fleshed out with 1-2 expansions to really be worth it. But honestly it was the same for 1 & 2.
Game should have released with annihilation and more maps from the get go.

They need to add more non elite units and more unit active abilities locked behind base upgrades. Basically more build options. And really expansions should be 2 race minimum.

But overall this game reputation is so tainted they might aswell give up on it.
>>
I want to underline that the story is fucking shit. Gorgutz helping Gabriel and Macha is totally retarded and they don't even give a reason for that. But the campaign itself is pretty good, some of the missions are challenging and, even being obvious that they didn't give a fuck about the campaign, overall at least it's entertaining.

The only true good thing that has come of the campaign is Solaria. I like her as unit and as a character.
>>
>>385052995
At the ending they tease something about the necrons, but at this rate i doubt they are going to make the effort to shit an expansion/dlc.
>>
>>385051615
I play rts for multiplayer and I don't like the multiplayer.
>>
>>385053560
>and I don't like the multiplayer.

And why is that? I haven't played a lot, but i can't really find any serious complain. Just that i don't know why the fuck they didn't add a keybind option.
>>
>>385053865
I don't like the lack of cover, I don't really like the elite system, I don't like how expendable squads can be and I don't like only 3 factions.

I might buy it on sale but I didn't like the beta.
>>
>>385054027
Oh, i forgot that. Why the fuck did they change the cover? I don't really like the cover of dow 2 and coh but they could have improved the cover system of dow 1 and it would have been perfect.
>>
>>385054027
If you are interested you can find it cheap on instant gaming.
>>
>>385051615
WAY too many downgrades from past games.
I can list a few and explain them if you wish, but suffice to say they were too many people turned off by too many different things.
SOME things LOOK very nice and wh40k'y, but such is nothing more than a frame built around a hot mess. It's features seem more like things checked off a list instead of actual mechanics devised around specific gameplay. As such, nothing fits together. Everything just seems half assed in how they affect and influence each other. The answer to this was obviously the fragility units in general. Look at any WC3 custom game that 'tried' to balance it's roster. The exact same method is always used. It makes to mess playable.
But there's so much hate towards folks anyone who would criticize the game for fear of trolling, that no one can state the obvious about it.

I personally, being a wh40k fan would buy this for 30$, in a heartbeat. But it's not worth more than that. And I would be lying if I didn't say it wouldn't be worth that if it wasn't for the DoW and WH40k name.
>>
>>385054843
Why is that considered a downgrade? The units were pretty fragile in DOW 1, a little mistake could wipe your entire army with some of the abilities.

Obviously in DOW 2 the units are more durable, but it's just a different kind of gameplay. Why it is so bad? (i'm not fucking with you, i really wanna know).
>>
File: 1443314598919.jpg (379KB, 1600x788px) Image search: [Google]
1443314598919.jpg
379KB, 1600x788px
>>385051615

Can't speak for anyone else, but to me it was boring as fuck. When DoW1 came out it had plenty of problems, but overall was pretty novel, as there wasn't a whole lot of 40k vidya around.

But 2 games and 4 expansions later, and the charm has worn off. The SM/Eldar/Ork trinity is boring and they should have gone with a different starting lineup. The campaign is completely forgettable (should have gone with the DC/SS or DoW 2 style campaign) and the multiplayer can only keep you interested for so long. Releasing with only one MP game mode was a huge mistake and a lot of players played the game, got bored and moved on by the time they added annihilation mode.
>>
File: diesel.jpg (48KB, 477x210px) Image search: [Google]
diesel.jpg
48KB, 477x210px
>>385051615
> cgi trailer releases
> everyone hyped as fuck because grimdark and shit
> first gameplay trailer comes out
> everyone realises they fucked it up

i wonder why they didn't try to fix it when they got the initial feedback

also: no german voice acting
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knbZZ6qur-8&t=21s

never forget
>>
>>385053329
>Gorgutz helping Gabriel and Macha is totally retarded and they don't even give a reason for that.
'e wanted that zoggin' stikk, and by Gork an' Mork he got that zoggin' stikk.
>>
>>385055662
>i wonder why they didn't try to fix it when they got the initial feedback
Because this was already the third iteration of the game, and Sega was intentionally driving it into the ground
>>
>>385051615
Because 40k fans don't like things that stray too far from their universe, no matter how asinine, which usually makes for incredibly boring games.

So if it's not boring, it's not 40k.
>>
>>385055618
They can't make a good story. It's always the same shit of starting fighting orks and then OH NO IT WAS CHAOS/TYRANIDS ALL ALONG, WHAT AN UNEXPECTED TURN OF EVENTS.
>>
>>385056117
>No game set in the Octarius War where it's just a giant meat grinder of a 'strategy' game, where you move planet to planet pickin' up your boyz and krumpin' the bugs
Orks have already won 40k, give them a game of their own now.
>>
File: 1475233985315.jpg (329KB, 1500x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1475233985315.jpg
329KB, 1500x1000px
>>385056117
>They can't make a good story.

But 40k stories fucking write themselves, I'm sure if they just tried they could do something new. It doesn't have to be a masterpiece.

>starting factions are tau/IG/necrons
>game mainly revolves around tau
>different characters from various castes, like crisis and stealth suit pilots, pathfinders, earth caste engineers, etc
>IG invade the system, they're gonna fucking kill everyone
>fire caste fights valiantly but they're losing
>earth caste finds some ruins with nifty alien tech, start trying to figure out a way to reverse engineer it and turn the tide of the war
>oh shit they woke up the Necrons, and now they're gonna fucking kill everyone

It's cliched as fuck but at least it's not Space Marine main characters and has the Imperium as the villain for once.
>>
>>385056629
Also that, all the games with a linear campaign are centered around the most boring race: humans.

A game about orks, tyranids or even necrons could revitalize the franchise.
>>
>>385056979
>Spice Marines
>humans
only in the technical sense
>>
>>385056851
I still don't know how we got a game with a Tau MC for fucking PS2 and since then all we have are space marines doing space marines things games.
>>
File: battlefleet_gothic_armada-02.jpg (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
battlefleet_gothic_armada-02.jpg
2MB, 1920x1080px
Yeah no

I'm not getting it anytime soon
Maybe never

Still playing Supreme Commander and Battlefleet Gothic Armada though. RTS are awesome, this isn't a good RTS, that's just the thing.
>>
>>385055302
There was still some wiggle room in DoW1. Unless you fought someone very skilled at the game, battle did not condense into dps matchs anywhere near as soon as DoW3. That's all DoW3 does in fact.
Dow 1 actually was never hailed as a great game. But it introduced me to wh40k, and it's apparent attempt to try and present a more stream line table top'isk (in a time where wh40k games were unheard of by the masses) got it some appropriate love. Personally DoW2 is in my top 5 games. But I can understand why others would be turned off by it's gameplay. I won't express disbelief if someone doesn't like it.
You have no reason to do the same. Just because it's different doesn't excuse the 60$ price, nor the very limiting single multiplayer mode it was released at. Some units can sidegrade to alternate weapons and others need to be built. This is nothing more than a blunt attempt to increase it's unit size, despite the fact that Dow1 system had both. THIS DOESN'T ADD TO GAMEPLAY, IT TAKES AWAY. That's why it's a downgrade. Not a 'different' kind of gameplay. It's less. Straight up.

Also don't even try to excuse it's in game currency unlock system. It feels so cheap in it's attempt to convince players to play more, despite the fact that it forced to players to play only one faction in hopes of competing with even half the options as other players.

All these things add up dude. It did bad for a reason. This isn't hate. It's legitimate things that people can easily have a problem with. Good games may not be perfect, but they have enough of SOMETHING to make folks want to play them. DoW3 does not.
>>
>>385057197
I mean humans as the Imperium. They are always portrayed as the good guys when in fact "humans" in 40k are fucking horrible. We could have an horror game about the Inquisition.
>>
>>385051615
300-900 concurrent players anymore these days.
Soulstorm has 400-1000 concurrents.
It's hard to describe how much of a colossal failure this was. Although the fact that I didn't buy it should be a massive fucking point for comparisson. I loved this series.
But after the beta showed me that the gameplay was flawed in almost every aspect and after it became clear that they didn't have any more content up their sleeves, I made the right call and bailed the fuck out. That really saved me a lot of heartache.
>>
>>385057202
I remember when Space Marine was announced. It was supposed to be a squad based action/rpg where you could pause, issue orders, then fight more dragon age origins style. With upgrades and stats.

Still think that would be amazing.
>>
>>385057439
DOW1 is a great game. There are more games being played right now in Soulstorm, released in 2008, than in DOW3.

I don't like this timeline, i want to change dimensions.
>>
>>385057647
>But after the beta showed me that the gameplay was flawed in almost every aspect and after it became clear that they didn't have any more content up their sleeves, I made the right call and bailed the fuck out. That really saved me a lot of heartache.

Happened the same thing to me with DoW2 Beta, 7 fucking years ago

Relic is NOT a good developer anymore. Shows how much people loved their early work and surfed their past awards these long. Exactly like Blizzard does.

But everyone that had "that oomph" in the dev team bailed, formed another studio (Blackbird Interactive) or DIED.

Just like... Blizzard. Shit.
>>
>>385057947
But DOW2 changed a lot after the beta. I didn't like the first one, but i have like 500 hours on Retribution.

I still hope they do the same with the expansions on this one.
>>
>>385057439
At least it doesn't have the same currency system as COH2. In that game you have to play literally thousands of hours to be able to buy one shitty commander.
>>
>>385057889
I think it is too man
>>385057947
Dow 2 was one of the few games where I restarted immediately after beating it. I can understand folks not liking the multiplayer though. Not the biggest fan of pvp myself.
>>
>>385058143
>But DOW2 changed a lot after the beta.

Ehh yeah kinda you may be right bu-

>I didn't like the first one, but i have like 500 hours on Retribution.

Woah what the fuck man. It's not that good. Or balanced at all.
>>
>>385057647
But was it really a failure? I don't know how well it sold, even if no one is playing right now.
>>
>>385057809
Fuck Space Marines. I want a group based RPG where I'm an Inquisitor investigating heresy in mile high megastructures, building a retinue of wacky characters and consigning billions of souls to death by exterminatus.
>>
>>385058646
It's not terribly inbalanced. I mean, you can still win with any race if you play your cards well.

Also, Last Stand. I have some kind of autism with this type of games.
>>
>>385051615
the story is shit compared to the previous games
multiplayer matches are decided in the first few engagements cause of the stupid way resources are implemented
way too big of a focus on heroes and regular units are made of paper
jumping fucking terminators
the game is trash and deserves the hate it got
>>
>>385058646
Probably mods, who the fuck plays the base game anyway.
>>
RTS is my favourite genre and I have no desire to play this even after getting it for free with my new motherboard.

It's literally 1) make blob 2) attack move it

Doesn't have any of the depth that CoH has
>>
>>385059446
But that's not correct. There are so many abilities that do area damage that if you make a blob of units they are going to get wiped in a second. In fact, positioning is almost too important considering the units are made of paper.
>>
>>385058706
I went from sure thing to no purchase after the beta. I started massing assault marines and las cannon devs my third game on. I literally won 20 games in a row like that. When I went to the forums and steam discussions to speak of this all I saw were folks getting bashed everytime one of them didn't like something about the game. One guy actually made a post about how since so many different things were being mentioned by so many different folks, obviously none of them were true and thus anyone mentioning anything negative about the game was trolling.
I didn't even bother after that. Then it came out, and I actually wanted to be wrong. But the current player count can speak for itself.

I will say that most potential players in my opinion were probably turned off from the game due to the seemly inability to critique the game without such talk being silenced immediately. Really has a 'fuck you, now give me your money' feel to it.

And it's really getting tiring being told what I consider good and not by people trying to sell me video games. I don't care how much money is in making video games nowadays. There's a such thing as overplaying your hand. Especially when it's that damn obvious your product isn't worth it's asking price.
>>
File: fuck_monopoly.jpg (129KB, 951x353px) Image search: [Google]
fuck_monopoly.jpg
129KB, 951x353px
>>385055662
>also: no german voice acting
This was the straw that broke my back here.
>yeah so the game looks pretty rough
>and the stellar english voice acting I came to love in Dawn of War 2 had turned to shit for this game
>but hey, maybe I could just play it in German, I can speak that, I have a second option
>except these cunts that released their half-finished game as soon as possible were too cheap to even localize and every foreign version of this game is just English with subtitles
>>
IG lost soul storm

thats all im pissed about and I wouldnt mind Orks winning Soul storm if SS Gorgutz wasnt shit
>>
>>385059678
Sure sweetie. Stick to your toddler RTS.
>>
>>385059683
I think the problem was that a lot of people wanted to like this game and they defended it until it came out and ended being shit that they were really disapointed and left.

But i think the devs are trying to fix it, and now i'm the one that really want that they do it.
>>
>>385059758
I find it hard to believe that a single undermanned regiment was supposed to defeat loyal and heretic marines, Orks, Tau, Eldar and DEldar, Necrons, AND SoB at the same time.
>>
>>385059931
Man, the game is trash, but if you are going to bash it at least know what you are saying.
>>
>>385059678
It's a shame most maps tend to force grouping by both terrain and fear of being out dps'd (quite quickly in fact because of how fast units die).
It's obvious that units are expected to die quickly so the players can just make more to blob and start another blob fight, considering how long it takes to send units back and resupply them.
It's like some poor attempt at creating fast matches that can claim to be exciting because both players are forced to constantly throw their units at each other or fall behind in resources within the first few minutes.
It's not like other companies haven't been trying to cash in on the supposed esports scene. DoW 3 is not a quality product, and that 'matter of fact' way you dismiss other's opinions of the game is the reason why all the damage control on the forums did nothing but piss off everyone who 'wanted' this game to succeed.
>>
>>385057947
the multiplayer of DOW2 was also garbage on release although it was still sort of fun due to its production value alone. Graphics, voice acting, music and sync kills actually kept me around long enough for them to start patching their shit together. Not to mention the campaign that was fun as fuck and really replayable. They put a lot of effort into that and it kept people engaged.

Dawn of War 3 had similar problems at launch, but it had neither the single player nor the sheer production value that DOW2 had.
>>
It's not the elites that make it like a moba, it's the shit multiplayer mode where you have to break down lanes of inhibitors and then the fountain.

Apparently they fixed that? I still don't care because the game is super slow and squads firing at squads for hours is just awful.
>>
The game is ok, it just needs more content.
>>
>>385060086
Some of those probably took each other out.
>>
>>385060382
I'm sorry if i sound like that, it's not my intention. I'm just playing it right now and i'm not encountering those problems. Maybe I'm having luck with the games.
>>
>>385060382

This entire post is a massive L2P issue, the game has different problems, you're just a noob
>>
>>385060086

BANEBLADES
>>
>>385061489
With 100 Baneblades they could just destroy the entire sector, i don't know how they lost the war.
Thread posts: 59
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.