[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Silent Hill

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 184
Thread images: 33

File: sh.png (2MB, 1187x1072px) Image search: [Google]
sh.png
2MB, 1187x1072px
Thought on this titles, specifically the last 3?
>>
Silent Hill games in whole, or THOSE very ones in your pic?

Anything made by Team-Silent (1-4) are pure gold, with their own flavor differences. Cant go wrong with them, and they're best played in release order.

The western shit... well, they're mostly just that: shit. Shit missing the point and not even getting close to the overall quality of the originals.
That being said, I was very positively surprised by the Shattered Memories on Wii. It sure ain't a "survival horror" game, but it is an experience of its own, that smartly and cunningly utilizes the series history.

SH1 > 2 > 3 > 4 > SM > > > dog shit > the rest.
>>
File: SH PC Guide 3-2017 update.png (2MB, 1300x4835px) Image search: [Google]
SH PC Guide 3-2017 update.png
2MB, 1300x4835px
>>385051245
>Silent Hill thread
Great! Time to re-re-re...re-post the SH PC Guide + the DL links :

SH1 NTSC DDL:
https://mega.nz/#!bVUCTJzD!PmnPw4S7fWGyvTjw9S0-RQdk7rRp2BQNuXJqRkZCZvk

SH2 DDL:
https://mega.nz/#!rFcj1SIJ!47JH9M4OrzmQKuaiJ6IqUgmgz_SVNtk4LIYNSa-D-_8

SH2 torrent:
https://mega.nz/#!bYcEnbhC!rYnhvcJiRC46T6yExS0Y61JHZ-5N3WxFvfZMI8xbyhE

SH3 DDL:
https://mega.nz/#!2JNkgJ7b!nfPf5cIs6I5K-sdAs7RcnHvGA2hAvIGdpQuIoBhF3iE

SH3 torrent:
https://mega.nz/#!GVVGRLpD!SyklVbuLIkc38ZYji5QL3sWHKtHt9-Bto700My8pH7c

SH4 DDL:
https://mega.nz/#!Us1XTaII!cglH0dZOaH5yQEm4cnEh3eyUz4bIf6rACQqcVzkb4Hc

Mount the ISOs of 2 & 3, and then run their installers like always.
The SH1 is a PS1 rip that you gotta emulate.
The "sh2proxy" fix works as a no-cd crack as well, and is included in the pack.
If you use the NEW widescreen fixes mentioned in guide, the sh2proxy's EXE works as no-cd crack too.

In case you experience issues saving the game / not being able to edit the disp.ini, make sure the files aren't set to "Read Only", and run the game as Administrator.
If SH2 gets stuck in a black screen upon launch, close it and re-start it again.
You can now see fine emulator settings for SH1 in the guide. You may also try the newer PGXP emulator for wobble-free PS1 graphics.

>General protips
-play in release order
-never below Normal modes
-replaying each one is very recommended
-turn down Brightness setting
-crank up volume
-don't try to kill everything! Turn off the flashlight.
>>
>>385051245
Silent Hill 1-4 were great IMO.

Silent Hill: Origins was interesting, but ultimately boring.

Silent Hill: Shattered Memories was surprisingly good, but felt empty/shallow because the survival areas were cordoned off from the rest of the game.

Silent Hill: Downpour had some interesting aspects, but the creature design sucked, the story was shallow, and the game ultimately fell flat. The ending boss fight was a joke.
>>
Homecoming was actually one of my favorite Silent Hills, the combat was fun once you got it down.
>>
>>385051820
I would put SM before 4, even though it wasn't a real SH game. As a game it was better.
>>
>>385051994
here's the alternative SH1 emulation settings for better performance and compatibility on weaker machines. Can also look more authentic.

Alternatively, just use a software plugin for almost 1:1 authentic PS1 visuals, literally unfiltered 240p pixely glory!
>>
>>385051820
My nigga. SM is so often forgotten. The game was great if you ignored the survival bits. It was a terrible Silent Hill game, IMO, but a surprisingly good game on its own.
>>
File: image.jpg (63KB, 363x411px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
63KB, 363x411px
>>385051245
My thoughts? Heather is the fucking best ever and give it 20 minutes and you are gonna have another daily Heather thread on your hands.
>>
>>385052431
>As a game it was better.
That's arguable and totally subjective.

If you ask me, SM has veeery little actual GAMEPLAY going on for it. It's an interesting ride of its own, that can hit quite close to home at times. The numerous small and major changes that can happen also do keep it fresh and makes it great game to replay and watch other people play.

Meanwhile, SH4 is very much rooted to ages old survival-horror tropes and design, down to even having limited inventory + item box to dump your stuff.
>>
>>385051994
I have a cache of Silent Hill goodies that I've been hoarding and curating for several years now. Might upload some of it.
>>
File: image.jpg (53KB, 500x336px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
53KB, 500x336px
>>385052742
DO IT FAGGOT.
>>
>>385052742
Go right ahead.
I could help if I was on my home computer, but alas... those few gigabytes are out of my reach at the moment.
>>
File: shsm321313.png (1MB, 1305x815px) Image search: [Google]
shsm321313.png
1MB, 1305x815px
>>385051245
Well, the best are the first 4, obviously. Which ones are the last 3? Downpour, Homecoming, and Shattered Memories? I feel that the American ones that tried to be like the first 4 were shit mostly because they tried to do traditional Silent Hill without really understanding the themes very well. So we ended up with monster designs that don't always fit and lots of monsters that just roar and act like wild animals, movie bullshit, and that fucking mailman.

I liked Shattered Memories mostly because it did its own thing. Although, yeah, knowing that you're perfectly safe during most of it does eliminate the horror aspect almost completely. There should have been at least some kind of danger during the exploration parts. The "good" ending was fucking great.
>>
File: sh4.jpg (530KB, 2560x1600px) Image search: [Google]
sh4.jpg
530KB, 2560x1600px
>>385051245
Why omit 1 and 2?
1-3 are some of the greatest games ever created, 4 is amazing, and Shattered Memories is good. anything else is irredeemable fucking stank.
>>385052431
Debatable. SM has less obnoxiously bad/irritating aspects but it also has some really atrocious design choices that are worse than anything in SH4.
>zero combat
>ONE fucking monster that isn't even scary
and most glaring and baffling of all
>explicitly letting you know when you are and are not safe through otherworld transitions and NEVER using this to scare the shit out of you by having a monster appear in the real world
I still enjoyed the game but it's nowhere near as scary or memorable as 4, I think 4 has some of the best moments in the series and the urban aesthetic and more j-horror vibe is very interesting, especially because 3 started to make things feel just a tad rehashy.
>>
But why?
>>
File: 90faba778751c90e46444ab5f8847d59.jpg (200KB, 1125x1500px) Image search: [Google]
90faba778751c90e46444ab5f8847d59.jpg
200KB, 1125x1500px
Anything not made by team silent is only comparable to used toilet paper.
>>
>>385053089
> monsters that just roar and act like wild animals
to be fair 4 was the only one with monsters that just had obvious unaltered animal sounds, that shit was jarring.
>>
I wish some day the original team take to kikcstarter or something so we get more under a different name, and without Konami. Might turn out like yooka laylee, but who knows.
>>
File: image.jpg (50KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
50KB, 1024x576px
>>385053089
>Heather
>best girl in every multiverse

Good.
>>
>>385053623
If the legit team silent (or at least the most important members) came to kickstarter with a spiritual successor that had PS2 SH level graphics and a convincing trailer it would be the first kikestarter I ever blew money on. I'd probably get scammed and I'd deserve it for thinking anything nice could happen to the series.
>>
>>385053954
Well, let's just wait and see how Bloodstained turns out I guess. Maybe that can redeem the failed kickstarters so far. Like a anime fan on prom night
>>
>>385052879
>>385052994
Here's a link to all the soundtracks included in the Silent Hill Sounds Box as well as some unreleased content and remixes/etc. off limited edition CDs:

https://mega.nz/#F!6Qg0EThY!KC_YCaIZ7XDHYi_dL0hnmQ
>>
>>385054383
ta' mate!
SH OSTs are pure gold.
>>
>>385054383
This also includes the limited edition SH4 soundtrack, Inescapable Rain in Yoshiwara, disc 2 of the SH4 soundtrack which was only released in Japan, the SH Play Novel soundtrack ripped straight from the game, and unreleased music/sounds from SH2 and SH3.
>>
>>385051245
The Wii one is probably the worst, 99% is walking and staring at stuff with some chase sequences, silent hill is now a big city and there's ice shit everywhere, it's like they didn't even try.
>>
>>385054621
I'm also uploading a collection of the audio samples Akira Yamaoka used when creating most of the Silent Hill soundtracks. Quite a few should be easily recognizable.

More info can be found here:
http://silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=16347
>>
>>385054931
as an oldass fan of the series who owns and has finished all of them (sans the mobile games), I disagree. If anything, SM is the best western SH game so far, partly because it does not try to simulate the original trilogy, and does its very own thing.

No, SH is not synonym with "rust & gore everywhere" either.
>>
>>385052678
Yeah, it's kinda subjective. But that's basically every video game opinion as the name implies.
>>
>>385054931
Nothing, and I mean nothing beats Downpoor when it comes to absolutely infuriating shittyness.

It's not only a badly designed and written, very fugly game with no Akira's music, it's also broken as hell tech-wise, and a pain in the ass to play. Also makes the town and its history into a one big, generic joke.
>>
File: DUDE SILENT HILL LMAO.jpg (188KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
DUDE SILENT HILL LMAO.jpg
188KB, 1920x1080px
>>385054931
fuck off, SM is a neat game that actually tried something different instead of just badly aping 1-3 and everything in the game works perfectly fine. It also had the decency to take place in an alternate scenario and not fuck with the lore. It's totally different and it's nowhere near as good as 1-4 but it can be enjoyed on it's own merit unlike Origins, Homecoming, and Downpour which are just absolute steaming turds.

2=1>3>4>>>SM>>>>>>>>Origins>Downpour>literal dogshit>Homecoming>fatal ass cancer>Book of Memories
>>
>>385056179
>fuck off, SM is a neat game that actually tried something different instead of just badly aping 1
What are you talking about? SM is 1 but every character analog suffered a downgrade and has bare minimum characterization, has a much less interesting story (aping heavily on Silent Hill REFLECTS YOUR MIND from 2 like all western shit entries), puzzles for retards and janky chase sequences.
>>
>>385055890
Homecoming is worse. The only decent thing about Homecoming is some of the passable enemy designs but it's vastly worse than Downpour in every other regard.
>not only tried to introduce fucking action combat but failed spectacularly and made the combat feel worse than the intentionally gimped combat in 1-4
>literally 0 exploration, everything is completely linear
>MEMBER PYRAMID HEAD?!??
>took a massive shit on the lore, more so than dumper
>muh Order
>Order soldiers are a common enemy, dudes in hazmat suits that yell "I'll cut you up son!" and "I'll get you, fucker!"
>horrifically buggy, game breaking bugs and crashes occur frequently
>totally lacks the atmosphere of the foggy town of Silent Hill
>scapegoat excuse for character doing tacticool dodge rolls and knife combos is that he was a soldier
>it turns out he isn't even a fucking soldier
even then neither game can even compare to the dumpster fire that is Book of Memories.
>>
>>385056760
I mean in terms of gameplay. SM is at least unique and was even ahead of it's time with the walking sim horror game (for better or worse), It's structure and gameplay is unique in the series so there is some reason to play it, while the other western games, especially Origins, are just shitty imitations of the originals.
>>
>>385056760
>SM is 1
it's not, and saying anything of the sort either signals that you have not played the game, or at least did not even try to play and understand it without the fake facade of being a "retelling" of SH1.
>>
>>385051820
>SH1>SH2
kys
>>
SH3 was great.
SH4 was good, but it's biggest and only fault was its backtracking.
Origins was decent. Not great, but not terrible either.
Shattered Memories was a decent game, but I'm not a fan of the Wii wagglan.
Downpour was just bad.
>Korn soundtrack
Like, fucking come on.
>>
>>385056760
Oh and that hilarious hammy acted PSYCHOLOGY sequences where nothing matters in the end besides maybe you stared at boobies or drinks too much during gameplay.
What a great game.
>>
>>385056793
>Homecoming is worse
Nope. Not at all.
I have actually managed to replay HC later on once more. 0rigins and DP? I will never ever touch them again.

HC at least sounds, looks and feels like a "Silent Hill game", no matter how much it blatantly mimics the terrible film and shit. It's also much more enjoyable to play, and does not suffer of nearly as many bugs and gameplay-related issues.

DP plays like ass, looks like ass, sounds like ass, tries to make the awful comics canon, turns the town into a "Ya gotta follow TEH RULEZ!!!" game of a ghost Jigsaw, and does not even have a one, solid story to follow, as every single ending changes and contradicts everything you do and see in the game (and in other endings).
>>
>>385051994
What if I own a Mac?
>>
>>385056793
>>took a massive shit on the lore, more so than dumper

How so? It takes place in a different town.

>scapegoat excuse for character doing tacticool dodge rolls and knife combos is that he was a soldier
>it turns out he isn't even a fucking soldier

That's the point. He is wearing a Vietnam era jacket and flashlight and he does the combat rolls and spinning moves with the knife because he thinks that's the way a soldier would fight, in a cool way like a Hollywood war movie. Homecoming is deeper than SH2 because it deals with autism and schizophrenia.
>>
>>385057103
Why? Because I have acknowledged the original game being a superior and scarier game experience than its overhyped next-gen sequel, which always felt like a calmer expansion pack to me?

yeah, I don't think so. SH2 is just easier, less scary and more poorly paced SH1 clone.
>>
>>385057103
not him but even though I like SH2 the best I can easily acknowledge that 1 is the better game.
>much better level design that has more complex, nonlinear exploration
>enemies are actually threatening mechanically, in 2 you can easily dispatch anything that isn't a boss or an Abstract Daddy with a steel pipe
>by far the best puzzles in the series
>better weapon variety
The only thing objectively better about 2 is the story, characters, and monster design. I like the soundtrack and aesthetics of 2 better and find it scarier but 1 is a more well-designed game.
>>
>>385057357
>What if I own a Mac?
You have brain problems + won't play SH games.
>>
American games completely missed the mark on what the previous 4 games were about, and how everything tied together and complimented one another to make what the previous 4 games were.

Mostly, I blame Tomm Hulette for being such a faggot piece of shit. Anyone else in charge of developing the SH games could have done an infinitely better job at providing constructive input to the games' development towards a better direction than that retarded fucking faggot ever could in his life.
>>
>>385057449
>SH2 is a clone/expac of SH1
what an utterly asinine statement
>WOOOW WHY DOES THE SEQUEL PLAY SIMILARLY TO THE GAME BEFORE IT?!?
difficulty also doesn't matter for shit in an SH game, and SH1 is the 2nd easiest behind SH2 anyway.
>>
>>385057357
then you can easily play SH1 which is a strong contender for the best in the series and the perfect starting point. if you like it just buy a PS2, you can find one for like 60 bucks and then buy SH2 for about 25.
>>
>>385057103
you're a huge faggot. take your own advice.
>>
>>385057019
>fake facade of being a "retelling" of SH1.
It's SH2 but done worse, it's not really that deep.
>"oh look that kind of monster is chasing you because your dad Harry is a drunk, aren't we clever"
>"we totally aren't copying the beastary of 2 where most of them where reflections of James mental issues and sexual frustrations"
>>
>>385053954
Why does it need PS2 level graphics? How fucking retarded are you? The original team could make a great game with P.T. graphics. Fuck, I find your type so damn annoying.
>>
>>385053396
it's a classic bait and switch in the horror genre as a whole.
>>
>>385057772
I'd ask you to explain your statements and views further, but I'm getting a nagging suspicion that you won't give me any of them, and just keep greentext monologuing.

SH1 is scarier, provides more challenge on all difficulty modes, has the most open and varied town design and major locations, best pacing, damn great soundtrack and audio work, great visuals for its target platform, an actually quite deep plot that may take a while to truly understand, and tons of symbolism and real-world + culture references.

It literally coined and capsulates everything that's so great about the series.
>>
File: Tomm-Hulett.jpg (134KB, 609x352px) Image search: [Google]
Tomm-Hulett.jpg
134KB, 609x352px
>>385057735

IM THE BIGGEST SILENT HILL FAN. NOBODY EVEN COMES CLOSE TO MY UNDERSTANDING OF THE SERIES. NOBODY COMES CLOSE TO THE LEVEL OF PASSION I FEEL FOR THE FRANCHISE. MY HD RELEASE MADE EVERYTHING BETTER. BETTER. THE VOICES, THE SOUNDS, THE VISUALS, EVERYTHING WAS INFERIOR. I MADE THEM BETTER.

BUY BOOK OF MEMORIES.

I fucked up and failed to upload the image last post.
>>
>>385057461
SH2 is just poorly designed.

>here take this 2x4 plank
>now have this pipe
>now take this FREAKING HUGE SWORD THAT MAKES YOU SLOWER AND YOU CAN'T EVEN SPRINT WITH IT ANYMORE TILL THE END OF THE GAME

What were the devs thinking?
>>
>>385057357
Install Wine and hope they work or else just get BootCamp
>>
>>385058056
>It's SH2 but done worse, it's not really that deep.
it's quite sad that some people can trivialize such great and nuanced games in such wrong ways, and then use it as the reason to bash it.
>>
File: Eddie.jpg (21KB, 720x410px) Image search: [Google]
Eddie.jpg
21KB, 720x410px
I've always liked to think that Eddie isn't a real person but an aspect of James.
>has a weird, undecipherable past
>"killing a person aint no big deal, just put the gun to their head, pow"
>looks like a fat, gross version of James wearing childish clothing that's too small for him
I think he represents James' cowardly, childish selfishness and laziness in killing Mary to benefit his own life and take the easy way out. James kills him (overcomes that aspect of himself) shortly before overcoming Pyramid Head and beating the game.
>>
>>385052629
>TFW I look like a boyish Heather

I should cosplay her someday, I'm getting pretty pale these days
>>
>>385058119
jesus calm your autism, I meant that PS2 SH level graphics would be acceptable to me and more realistic for a kickstarter, not "PS2 graphics or bust".
>>
>>385058415
it's an ancient fan-theory that ALL the cast members in 2 represent, directly or not, various sides of James' psyche, and the different "ways out" he can choose in his situation.

It still works even if the devs have confirmed that most of the characters are real, living people. It just makes them more fascinatingly entangled in James own, personal journey.

>>385058458
You guys never deliver with those photos. I've been waiting for couple years now.
>>
>>385058371
As sad as some people are given a much worse interpretation of a previous work and call it deep and nuanced.
But hey man. when doctor whatshisface threw his drink and started harassing his patient was so cool acted 10/10 oscar worthy.
>>
File: 1382894314744.jpg (43KB, 700x748px) Image search: [Google]
1382894314744.jpg
43KB, 700x748px
>>385058119
not him, but I hate graphicsfags.
>team has to put more effort into making things look pretty
>when a big budget has been set on graphics they are pushed harder to make things look good and issues with gameplay or performance get swept under the rug
>team has less time to put towards refining the actual game
>you can get away with more in terms of aesthetics when things are less lifelike
for example one of the artists that some of the devs took inspiration from when making the games was francis bacon. a lot of his famous works aren't focused on realism. there is a reason why it's a big no-no in horror films to show the monster early in the movie instead of having it in the shadows and catching quick and partial glimpses of it, and why only a few movies have successfully pulled it off.
>>
>>385057321
>turns the town into a "Ya gotta follow TEH RULEZ!!!" game of a ghost Jigsaw

Downpour is a complete trainwreck. The mailman and DJ paying for their sins was one of the stupidest things i've ever seen. They turned Silent Hill into a literal purgatory but with most the retarded execution ever.
>>
>>385058213
note that I also made this post >>385057461
I think SH1 could definitely be considered better than 2 but calling 2 a rehash/expac is fucking retarded. You are also utterly delusional if you think 1's story is good or anywhere near comparable to 2, 3, or 4. 2 also had far better visuals (obviously), a better soundtrack, and better monster design. None of the monsters in SH1 are particularly memorable. Some areas/moments were scarier than anything in 1, like The Labyrinth, Toluca Prison, and Pyramid Head chasing you through Brookhaven.
>It literally coined and capsulates everything that's so great about the series.
No shit, it's the first game. Can't help but notice though that when anybody thinks "Silent Hill" they think of Pyramid Head and the symbolism/storytelling/monster design of SH2, so much so that almost every western game badly tried to mimic this aspect even when it didn't belong. They are both fantastic games, not everything needs to be a retarded us vs them argument.
>>
File: 1496350855444.png (21KB, 180x204px) Image search: [Google]
1496350855444.png
21KB, 180x204px
>>385058309
The Great Knife definitely should have been a New Game + weapon. Have it still appear there in New Game but you can only pick it up in NG+. The fact that you can get it on your first playthrough was always weird and silly to me.
>>
>>385057103
kys ys SH1 is god tier
>>
>>385058657
I like that they could be real characters or they could be reflections of James, I don't want to know for sure either way and I'm sure it's intentional, especially considering James was originally supposed to have multiple personalities but this was supposedly scrapped.
>>
>>385058740
>As sad as some people are given a much worse interpretation of a previous work and call it deep and nuanced.
You see, the problem here is that you're treating SM as some sort of direct continuation or "interpretation" of the original SH trilogy, when it's neither of those.

It tricks you into thinking so at first, and utilizes your prior knowledge and predictions against you. And that's why it works so well.

The acting was pretty good yeah, but I have never seen or heard anyone praising SM for that. It's simply a very atmospheric, beautiful and engaging experience of its own.
>>
>>385051245
Shattered Memories is underated as fuck. Sownpour is shit. SH 4 is okay and I don't understand the hate it got.

Haven't played the other two
>>
>>385059113
>when anybody thinks "Silent Hill" they think of Pyramid Head and the symbolism/storytelling/monster design of SH2, so much so that almost every western game badly tried to mimic this aspect even when it didn't belong.

That's because all nu-SH fans are just depressed fags who have this fantasy of Silent Hill to helping them overcome their depression or goth girls who want to get hatefucked by Pyramid head.
>>
File: image.jpg (224KB, 530x663px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
224KB, 530x663px
>Harry Mason
>survived Silent Hill
>lives alone in a small flat with a beautiful 17 year old girl with freckled bare skin who HE ISN'T EVEN RELATED TO
>he never remarried
>he never met another woman
>he just lays awake at night
>staring at his ceiling
>listining through the thin walls to the beautiful girl in the next room panting and grunting as she masturbates
>this is almost every night for the last few years
>she suddenly, quite audibly, reaches orgasam.
>He never imagined his Heather could make such savage noises
>silence now
>he continues to stare at the ceiling

A BETTER MAN THAN US HARRY. F.
>>
>>385057357
u stpid
>>
>>385058740
fuck off pseudo-intellectual hipster faggot. SM's story is clearly a poor imitation of 2's. Many different things in 2 all reflect James and his story but nothing in SM does this beyond "woah look the monster has tiddies now wow".
>>
>>385059571
>That's because all nu-SH fans are just depressed fags who have this fantasy of Silent Hill to helping them overcome their depression
don't know why you would think SH2 is about this considering In Water is the canon ending.
>>
>>385059657
BUT TWEEST, MAN
YOU WERE HIS MENTALLY CHERYL ALL ALONG SO DEEP.
>>
File: image.jpg (63KB, 577x667px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
63KB, 577x667px
>>385059935
DON'T TALK ABOUT BEST GIRL LIKE THAT!!
>>
>>385059113
>calling 2 a rehash/expac is fucking retarded.
Why is that?
It plays the same, the MC even looks quite the same, you visit similiar kinds of places on your journey... it literally felt like a natural, standalone expansion pack to me, even back in 01. Like a pilot episode of a new season of some old TV series, starring brand new cast that would never appear again later on.

>You are also utterly delusional if you think 1's story is good or anywhere near comparable to 2, 3, or 4
Why is that?
The scale and stakes were higher in SH1. Harry's motives and goals are much easier to relate with. And the backstory is nicely layered, with many of the game's themes bearing striking similarities with SH2's, quite literally being about personal demons and mental projections.

>2 also had far better visuals (obviously),
only newer. The visual directing and attention to details was pure gold even back in 1999.
>a better soundtrack,
While Promise, Alone In Town and Theme Of Laura are some of my everlasting favorite vidya tunes, Akira Yamaoka simply continued his own style in SH2. Both 1 and 2 have a nice range of different kinds of songs and ambiances.
>and better monster design.
Arguable, as most SH2 enemies belong in the category of "people wrapped in leather and plastic". Sure, their design is interesting and very original (especially for its time), but they kinda are shaped from the same mold, and gameplay-wise, none of them possess much of challenge before Hard difficulty.

>Some areas/moments were scarier than anything in 1, like The Labyrinth, Toluca Prison, and Pyramid Head chasing you through Brookhaven.
The prison and labyrinth were the only places 2 got even close to 1's level of scares.
The first run to the school, the transition to Alt.School, and both Sewers are such nope-rollercoasters, that SH2 simply cannot even compete.

>They are both fantastic games, not everything needs to be a retarded us vs them argument.
it does not need to be an argument-
>>
>>385059935
The twist was odd, but I still feel like the only reason it worked was because it heavily relied on people's expectations on the original Silent Hill and its characters. Still the best non Team Silent game, sadly.
>>
File: 1467133390115.png (455KB, 810x688px) Image search: [Google]
1467133390115.png
455KB, 810x688px
>>385057103
I swear fucking SH2 fags are worse than P4 fags
>>
>>385051820
>>385051820

/thread
>>
>>385055131

I already have everything silent hill on my collection, but that sample collection sounds pretty great desu.

Keep us posted
>>
File: image.jpg (20KB, 218x313px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
20KB, 218x313px
>Harry, please accept this third ressurection attempt baby version of myself as your responsibility.
>now remember, she is a 100% genetic version of me, so she is also literally dahlia gillespie's daughter, and short tempered crazy BITCH is flowing in her blood. It's in her very DNA
>also did i forget to mention she is already carrying a dormant demon spawn in her little womb tee hee?
>take care of her now, and don't feed her after midnight or she will start kicking off big time believe me
>and don't let her near cocky jock chads basically any time after she hits puberty. No, really, im being dead serious about that one.
>Or booze in general.
>Also she might carry knives, try to keep an eye on that.
>k thnx bai
>>
>>385060960
Didnt Harry reportedly choke Heather according to one of the documents? I'm probably remembering wrong but it still seems like he was really skeptical on what Heather really was. I guess the events of the first game did a number on him, with his sense of reality getting fucked.
>>
How much are 3 and 4 worth nowadays? PAL ps2 copies. I picked up 2 director's cut unscratched for 8 bucks, also saw a copy of The Room for 20, but i thought it was too expensive.
>>
>>385058415
It was confirmed that Eddie and Angela were real people. Seriously South Park did an episode anout people who try to find meaning and symbolism in every damn thing when looking at media.
>>
>>385052170

>SH1-4 were great
>but one of the drawbacks to downpour is that a boss fight is a joke

AHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHA!
>>
File: image.jpg (38KB, 388x291px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
38KB, 388x291px
>>385061645
You are remembering wrong. Despite having Cheryl's face, Heather terrified Harry because she literally came out of otherworld. He also began to realise that he couldn't just call this new kid Cheryl and make up for the little girl he lost. He knew Cheryl was Alessa, and he knew this new little girl was them both, but he only thought of how much he hated Alessa for taking Cheryl away from him. He often darly thought about killig Heather for the good of everyone. I guess at some point in her early years he fell in love with Heather as he had Cheryl before her.
>>
>>385061969
>=anout people who try to find meaning and symbolism in every damn thing when looking at media.

>silenthill.wikia
>>
>>385062865
The wiki isn't retarded enought to assume Eddie or Angela weren't real people, only some pseudo intellectual would ever think something like that.
>>
>>385051245
SH3-the best in the series, a masterpiece

SH4-underrated as fuck. Great ideas, hit and miss execution. Really disturbing and sad

SH:SM-'s alright I guess. Worth a playthrough. I liked the music and story, the gameplay is shit and it's not scary at all though

SH:O-is ok if you're already a fan of the series and want more of SH. It's a tier below other titles but worth checking out

SH:DP-absolute irredeemable trash, broken and unplayable even
>>
>>385061969
just because they are real people doesn't mean they aren't symbolic of James' personality you daft faggot, they clearly are.
>>
>>385051994
Saved, thank you.
>>
File: woooaah SPooOOOooky.png (154KB, 486x969px) Image search: [Google]
woooaah SPooOOOooky.png
154KB, 486x969px
>>385062119
classic SH bosses are shit mechanically but at least you fight cool, terrifying, memorable monsters instead of pic related
>>
>>385061945
None of them are particularly valuable, 20 is a very run-of-the-mill price for 4. 8 bucks is a good deal for 2. The most expensive/hard to find ones are 1 (especially the non-greatest hits version) and the version of 3 that comes with a soundtrack CD.
>>
File: What_the_hell.jpg (775KB, 1907x1072px) Image search: [Google]
What_the_hell.jpg
775KB, 1907x1072px
>>385051245
>3
Horror classic and should be cherished forever
>4
Flawed gem with a great story
>downpour
western trash
>Shattered Memories
Rare exception where western trash is actually a legit horror game in its own right. Not really scary but amazing story.
>Origins
Pretty weak desu, not as weak as Downpour but it feels somewhat soulless. Weapon durability is a trash mechanic
>>
ATTENTION, actual, objective, factual truth coming through, irrefutable, immovable, eternal

SH3>2>1>4>HC>O>SM>DP
>>
File: 6UAJhckw.jpg (24KB, 351x351px) Image search: [Google]
6UAJhckw.jpg
24KB, 351x351px
https://youtu.be/CxV8j2m8HSk

>WAKE UP
>your mother isn't the monster you make her out to be!
>you don't know your dad he wasn't a knight in shining armor!
Literally had to stop my day and just take a day for myself shattered memories was really good.
>>
>>385064043

well shit. i agree
>>
>>385064646
The guy who played Dr. Kaufman in this game was a fucking phenomenal VO actor.
>>
>>385064043
SH3 is not as good as 1 and 2. The story is a retread of 1 and it straight-up rehashes Brookhaven from 2 and the horror lacks subtlety. The first half is godlike but the last half starts to fall apart. Still an amazing game but definitely below 1 and 2.
1=2>3>4>SM>PT>>>>the rest
>>
>>385063513
They're not symbolic of shit, get over yourself you pseudo intellectual faggot.
>>
>>385064749
Yeah I really felt like I could trust him and then he would yell at me for the choice I made and I felt reprimanded for the choice and yet I wanted him to like me. It's really no wonder why I like the game so much even though I have a dynamic family who nurtured me. I still get choked up at the ending.
>>
File: silent hills.png (1MB, 1012x860px) Image search: [Google]
silent hills.png
1MB, 1012x860px
>>385064646
>your mother isn't the monster you make her out to be!
>you don't know your dad he wasn't a knight in shining armor!
>proceeds to show Harry's wife beating him and being a total cunt to you (Cheryl) while Harry is being nice as fuck
the fact that Kaufmann's line doesn't change depending on your ending is one of the biggest flaws in the game.
>>
>>385064043
And The Room? It was actually good.
>>
>>385065042
it isn't pseudo intellectual to see obvious symbolism. The fact that you are trying to argue against symbolism existing in SH2 showcases that you are a dense cunt.
>>
File: what makes you say that.jpg (102KB, 1024x669px) Image search: [Google]
what makes you say that.jpg
102KB, 1024x669px
>>385065098
4 is The Room ding dong.
>>
>>385065086
Harry had to be nice he was in the wrong he cheated and both just fell out of love.being a dick to Cheryl I can't defend it's probably a woman thing shit idk.
>>
>>385064896
3 is the best one because it depicts the otherworld as a true hell.
>>
>>385051245
The room was really good actually, for me, not spooked with jumpscares, rather psychological horror the story too was interesting.
>>
>>385064646
>https://youtu.be/CxV8j2m8HSk

damn straight. excellent
>>
>>385065274
That's subjective though. The otherworld in 3 was in fact good and very hellish but I thought that the overbearing, loud, in your face, abrasive horror of 3 started to just get annoying instead of scary, especially with the enemies in that game. I prefer the quiet, lonely, isolated terror of 2 or the good balance between each style in 1 personally. I thought the scariest parts in SH3 were the non-otherworld Subways and Office Building.
>>
>>385064646
it drives me fucking crazy that Shattered Memories just clearly lets you know when you are safe and when you aren't through the whole game. If in the 2nd half they had some horrifying new monster show up out of nowhere in the normal, non-otherworld it would have been one of the scariest moments in the series.
>>
>>385065181
Not him, but I think "symbolic" is the wrong word for it. If you're view of the game is that Eddie, Angela, and Laura are simply figments of James' psyche, than it's a correct use of the word. If you're in the official camp that they're separate entities, they're foils for James.
If I remember correctly, it's been awhile since I did anything with lit analysis terms.
>>
This is about the dozenth Silent Hill general that's been posted on /v/ this week (That I've at least noticed)
We have a board for this
>>>/vg/
>>
>>385065778
Either way it is symbolism. Whether or not they are "real" is never confirmed or denied but they clearly represent James' personality, real or not.
>>
>>385065965
>>>/faggot/
>>
>>385065990
Again, I hate to be "that guy", but symbolism is too broad of a term for that. Calling them character foils is far more appropriate, imho.
>>
>>385065181
Tell me dipshit, what did Laura the girl constantly raped by her father and brother represent of James?
>>
File: image.jpg (55KB, 773x960px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
55KB, 773x960px
>>385065965
>meanwhile 8 "rank em" souls threads a day is perfectly fine

Nah fuck off m8
>>
>>385065990
Angel, Laura and Eddie are all real people you dumbass. They don't symbolize any aspect of James' psyche. Holy fuck.
>>
>>385066412
>other generals are fine

Said who? You're not replying to anyone in this thread.
>>
File: image.gif (974KB, 245x200px) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
974KB, 245x200px
>>385066563
>stop discussing video games

Its what you are implying faggot. What SHOULD /v/ be talking about? Prab slaves, e-celebs and "what did he mean by this" threads?
>>
>>385065965
>/vg/ for a series of exclusively single player games that's been dead for 15 years
sure thing candy-ass
>>
>>385066531
>characters that are "real" in-universe cannot also be symbolic in the narrative
have you ever read a fucking book?
>>
>>385066920
>candy-ass

Kek. ROODY POO!
>>
>>385065965

/vg/ was a mistake
>>
>>385066290
Angela
And while I don't think she's symbolic of James or anything, her self-loathing and preference to run from her issue as opposed to facing them is a pretty direct parallel to James.
I agree with you though, the cast of SH2 with the exception of Maria being depicted as figments of Jame's imagination.cheapens their characters.
>>
>>385066290
did I ever say Laura was symbolic of James? No, I fucking didn't. Note that she's the only character that can possibly leave Silent Hill with him, how interesting.
>>
>>385060215

I dont know you but im glad you posted your opinon. I think moments like these are the reason im still visiting v
>>
>>385067302
People get called to Silent Hill because they can't face their darkness.
>>
>>385067471
None of the characters could leave Silent Hill bar Laura unless they were able to fully confront their demons and overcome them. Eddie and Angela are not like Maria, if they hadn't been driven to the age they could have solved their darkness and left just like James did. Don't go talking as if they never had a chance at leaving. That was just Maria dumbass.
>>
>>385060215
People treat Silent Hill 2 as this untouchable masterpiece, which is why a lot of fans will shit on your points altogether. As a total fanboy of the game, it's probably my favorite piece of media honestly, I'll give my rational as to why I disagree.
>the MC even looks quite the same
Harry Mason was a semi-square jawed brunette, well groomed, and wore a fitted leather coat to his waist and a vest. James, on the other hand, wears a baggy green army coat and basic polo shirt, has messy blonde hair, and a longer face. I could go on about character differences, but the point is I think they look very different, and their appearances reflect some of that.
>you visit similiar kinds of places on your journey
Only the hospital really is similar. The apartment, Prison, and Hotel are unique to SH2. The claim that it's an expansion or a pilot episode are pretty absurd, imo.
>The scale and stakes were higher in SH1
Not inherently better.
>Harry's motives and goals are much easier to relate with
Depends. I can more closely relate to not being able to get over a loved one's death than losing a child, simply because I'm not a father.

A few things you point out are still quite valid, though. SH1 handles it's horror elements far better than 2, which only had a few sections that felt as strong. Out of the four KCET games, I actually think 2 does horror the least effectively despite it being my favorite. SH1 also does have a very nicely layered story, and it's soundtrack is just as powerful as its predecessor's.
>>
>>385051245
The last 3 are irrelevant because only Japan has ever made good Silent Hill games. Team Silent games are the only ones that matter. So that is 1-4. Disregard the rest.
>>
>>385069152
Silent Hill wasn't going to allow any of them to leave.
>>
>>385067471
It's heavily implied Laura isn't affected by Silent Hill, and can only see James due to her link to his crime.
>>
>>385070253
So why did James leave in the canon ending after accepting what happened and moving on?

Why was it implied that he'd suffer again in the Maria ending when she started coughing as they were leaving showing symptoms of Mary's disease?

The town gives the people a chance. The town forces people to confront their demons. If they ovecome them, great, if not they die.

Anyway, you're a retard if you think the power of the town is to forever keep people trapped in their nightmares until they die or forever. Go back to Downpour.
>>
1-3 are essential ludo-core. Everything after that is completionist tier. Don't listen to "4 wasn't REALLY that bad" Team Silent dickriders, either; that shit was shit.
>>
>>385070694
Canon ending is "In Water".
>>
Shattered Memories is underrated.
>>
>>385070997
No it's not
>>
>>385070694
>>385070997
No ending is canon, guys. C'mon now. In Water is the preferred ending of some of the staff, the ending of the novelization, and the best conclusion to James' character arc but nothing is officially canon.
>>
>>385070997
The ending canon ending is likely up to the player seeing as how James is never truly mentioned except fleetingly from his father.

It's the only game where the canon ending is up to the player
>>
>>385071546
And the only mention of him is that he was never seen again after going to Silent Hill. In that sense, any of the endings can fit that.
>>
File: ito.png (192KB, 1008x202px) Image search: [Google]
ito.png
192KB, 1008x202px
>>385071342
pic related
>>385071546
It's mentioned that James went missing in SH, if the other endings were canon he would've at least contacted his father.
>>
>>385070694
The power of the town is beyond human understanding. It's neither good or bad, but SH3 clearly states that it feeds from hate and pain, which is why it calls James, Eddie and Angela, because they're a major source of psychological issues and pain, the town is not trying to fix them, it's trying to consume them.
>>
>>385071835
There is another Ito tweet where he says that the development of the game revolved around in water and the other endings were just adapted.
>>
>>385071835
>if the other endings were canon he would've at least contacted his father.
That's a heavy assumption. He wouldn't have left Silent Hill in maria to stay with her, as in that ending he prefers to live in his delusions. And in Leave, he'd probably take on an assumed identity. We also don't know how he and his father got along.
Also, Ito saying he prefers In Water does not at all make it canon. He was neither the writer nor director, and because SH2 is such a collaborative effort I don't think any one voice can give the definitive take on the game's conclusion.
>>
>>385071732
Exactly
>>
>>385072141
The fact that Pyramid Head, the most iconic monster in the series and closest thing to a core antagonist in SH2 was designed for "In Water" makes it canon in my eyes.
>>
>>385072021
Ito and the other guy just said that Water was their personal canon endings. Meaning the staff never truly agreed on a single canon ending.
>>
File: 1499649110104.png (1MB, 1100x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1499649110104.png
1MB, 1100x1200px
>>385051245
Looks like Downpour is coming to the PC, hopefully with mod support

https://www.mobipicker.com/silent-hill-downpour-pc-port/
>>
>>385072504
Key words, in your eyes. I'll go on record to say that In Water is the best ending of Silent Hill 2's narrative, and that my personal biggest gripe with the game is that it isn't the lone ending, but the others are still valid if they resonate with the individual player more so.
>>
>>385072504
In your eyes.
>>
>>385072141
>He was neither the writer

He was actually. Ito created the backstory for the creatures, the otherworld and some drafts of the SH2 story. He even helped on the motion capture and level design.
>>
>>385072780
>>385072884
exactly, in my eyes. It doesn't matter either way considering James' ending is not important at all to the rest of the SH universe.
>>
>>385072578
The game multiple endings for this exact reason. Doesn't change the fact the development team was working with a very specific story in mind, which is the one where James kills himself in the end. Pyramid Head wasn't going to stop attacking James until he committed suicide. Remove Pyramid Head from SH2 and no one would care about it anymore.
>>
File: 1500943264932.png (81KB, 198x181px) Image search: [Google]
1500943264932.png
81KB, 198x181px
>>385072724
who gives a shit
>>
so if i never played any of the games, where do i start? the first one? is it on psn network? how about the hd collection? i don't have a pc sadly
>>
>>385073453
>Remove Pyramid Head from SH2 and no one would care about it anymore.
I love PH but that's such a fucking dumb statement, he's only even in the game like 5% of the time max. People love 1, 3, and sometimes 4 and those don't have PH.
>>
>>385051245
3 is great and one of the best in the series
4 is very polarizing and different but solid aside from a few annoyances
downpour is terrible
shattered memories is not a silent hill
origins is okay as a prequel to 1, not great but not awful
>>
>>385072724
That's a very old article. It probably got canned again.
>>
>>385073518
Stay the FUCK away from HD collection, under no circumstances should you play it. Get a PS2 to play 2, 3 and 4 if you must, the HD collection is an absolute abortion and one of the worst things in gaming history. Play in chronological order, SH1 is the best starting point in all regards and it can be found on PSN.
>>
>>385073453
No, didn't you see James' final confrontation with PH? The moment he realized why they were attacking him they impaled themselves thus leaving him alone for good. If James had decided to move on, he'd have been able to leave.
>>
>>385065965
you weren't even around for the creation of /vg/ so fuck off and don't talk about things you don't know about.
>>385067121
it was actually great for a short time, but I still think it was for the best. at least at the time.
>>
anyone else here listens to SH OSTs ocasionally?

I'm really in love with this music
>>
>>385073074
So not the writer, as in the man who helms the script. That was actually Hiroyuki Owaku.
>>
>>385071342
>>385071354
>>385071546
the game was initially written for in water to be THE ending. it was constructed with that in mind, and evolved afterwards.
>>
>>385073980
Maria's theme is the best.
>>
>>385073074
Was trying to find the tweet where Ito mentions helping write SH2's story and i ended up finding something that will shock some hardcore SH fans. Ito's twitter is like a gold mine for SH lore.
>>
>>385073980
yes, and I even want to use it while doing a psychological horror campaign for a tabletop rpg setting eventually.
>>
>>385073980
walking through my city in the rain to the sh2 soundtrack is something i treat myself to every once in a while, yamaoka is a goddamn genius
>>
>>385074164
Citation needed.
>>385073795
That can be read in a few different ways, incuding yours. The two PHs can stop attacking James because he was fully committed himself to the delusion of maria, and he no longer has those lingering feelings of doubt and guilt, or he can face reality and have come to the conclusion to punish himself through suicide, thus ending their purpose.
>>385074203
N-NANI?
>>
>>385074423
I want to play tabletop RPG one day but don't know anyone who'd be into it

I want to play call of cthulhu
>>
>>385074628
>RPG Horror
>RPG
>Horror
Pick one
>>
>>385074942
Nah
>>
>>385074628
lurk on /tg/ and try something like roll20. don't expect too much unless you get lucky though, having the proper group will make or break your experience.
branch out from the typical systems and find what you like.
>>385074942
it exists, at the very least in p&p form.
>>
>>385074583
>Citation needed.
I know there are multiple instances of it being mentioned in a public forum, but the the interview/podcast with Guy and David is the easiest one to recall.
>>
>>385074942
this, the core idea of an RPG (growing in strength and ability) is directly contrary to that of horror.
>>
>>385075357
note that you are thinking in an extremely narrow sense. there are RPG systems and homebrew mixes that take into account insanity and corruption, both having a mixed bag of effects.
>>
>>385054383
Is this the same as that nyaa download?
>>
Jesus Christ, I finally started SH2. After all these years of bad downloads and botched installs, it's working.
I've only seen one leatherman so far and I put that motherfucker in its place.
>>
>>385079186
Congratulations. I hope you truly enjoy the game and have a lot of fun.
>>
silent hill homecoming is the best after 1-3 prove me wrong protip, you can't

if you don't take it too seriously it's pretty a fun game, would recomend
>>
Downpour: buggy game with some cool ideas, worth a play

Homecoming: buggy game with no ideas, do whatever

Origins: The Resident Evil 0 of the series. How fitting. All the parts of a SH game but an incompetent craftsman. Avoid.

Silent Shizam: Of all the zero combat chase simulator meme games this is one of the best, play it.
Thread posts: 184
Thread images: 33

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.