[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Have devs completely abandoned the idea of splitscreen/couch

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 4

File: halo_3_splitscreen.jpg (91KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
halo_3_splitscreen.jpg
91KB, 1280x720px
Have devs completely abandoned the idea of splitscreen/couch multiplayer?

It was probably the best thing about consoles, yet no one does it anymore.
>>
http://store.steampowered.com/tag/en/Split%20Screen/#p=0&tab=TopSellers

no
>>
Can't shove micro transactions down our throats with local multiplayer
>>
Buy a nintendo system. They are the only dev that still caters to couch multiplayer. Them and devs who put games on their systems.
>>
>>385050401
exactly, and they can double their profits by having you have 2 game stations and 2 games of the exact same thing and just hook the systems to 2 tvs and crossfeed between them!
>>
the halo series used to just be so FUN... halo 1, 2, 3... all of them were just fun to play in multiplayer, regardless of whether you were good or not. nowadays it's all about LE ESPORTS and they removed all of the fun of it...
>>
>>385050401
I'm pretty sure they could find a way. But anon >>385050583 is right.
>>
File: this shit.png (15KB, 666x619px) Image search: [Google]
this shit.png
15KB, 666x619px
Anyone else hate this shit?
>>
>>385050959
What the fuck am I looking at?
>>
>>385051060
Terminologies of multiplayer I've noticed throughout the years, and how Online stole our title.
>>
Because people today not have a real interraction

People now have virtual lives and virtual friends
>>
>>385051297
Everyone has always said "play online".
>>
>>385051297
That's true and I had never noticed.
>>
>>385051297
When did the regular ass single player mode become """the campaign"""?

The 2000s consoles had it right I believe. You had plenty of single player games. Single player games with local multiplayer. And some games like Timesplitters Future Perfect which both amazing online and local multiplayer.

It amazes me with Timesplitters we were able to download custom maps and host custom rulesets in an online FPS on Playstation fucking 2 but we can't do anything like that with modern FPS console games for some reason?

Online multiplayer was an option, an addition, a side course you could experience if you wanted inbetween the single player mode and local multiplayer not the main course.
>>
>>385049907
Technical reasons. I'd love to see a GDC talk on how rendering works for multiple viewpoints on one pass.
>>
>>385049907
Quit being poor and buy an XBL Gold or PSN+ subscription
>>
idk op but I'm playing through Borderlands 2 with my brother again for the first time in like 4-5 years and having lots of fun. tons of new dlc shit from after the last time I played it is in the Handsome collection which is nice

don't know why people here pretend the memes are terribly intrusive. they're pretty infrequent, and the writing is occasionally actually funny. besides all that it's still a solid game though aside from UVHM being fucking stupidly balanced and taking so damn long to get to max level
>>
File: 1499776151090.jpg (22KB, 240x320px) Image search: [Google]
1499776151090.jpg
22KB, 240x320px
>>385049907
That's sad, because it's the only reason to buy a console. The Xbox 360 was the last console to have a bunch of 4-player games
>>
File: BL2.png (39KB, 269x114px) Image search: [Google]
BL2.png
39KB, 269x114px
>>385053772
BL2 was the last good fun shooter I've played since like...Timesplitters 2 or Turok 2.

The only ones being bothered by the random memes probably have autism.
>>
>you will never play custom games with a bunch of randoms and their local guests ever again
>the golden age of custom games is done forever
>>
>>385049907
>Nintendo? Never heard of them.
>>
why does it matter?
we were so busy playing videogames throughout our childhoods that we never developed social skills and as a result don't have any friends to play with
>>
>>385054921
Can't wait to play Splatoon 2 on the couch with my buds...
>>
>>385054038
>>>/brit/
>>
>>385049907
>>385052312
I think a lot of developers are purposefully doing it so that people are forced online. They can't sell those online console subcriptions, season passes and DLC if people could just play with other people without online.

I also think a lot of developers are downplaying how much people want it now. You can't really get a number on how many people would play splitscreen or LAN so it isn't as easy to tell (in their eyes) if people still want this. While with online they we have seen it grow so much so developers are thinking everybody would prefer to play online.

I'm sure there may be some other reasons like it is technically harder to do for modern gaming but I mostly feel I'm correct here.
>>
I'm still surprised that DICE bothered to put 2 players splitscreen in the first EA battlefront game. I would NEVER expect them of all companies to do that.
>>
>>385049907
because it's shit
>>
>>385055596
t. no friends loser
>>
Get a switch my man

ARMS, MK8 to name a few support it
>>
>>385055994
t. only has one friend

playing online is 10000% better 100% of the time
>>
>>385049907
as someone born in the 80s, who grew up in the heyday of the N64 playing the shit out of goldeneye and perfect dark: it fucking sucked and good riddance to it.
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.