[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Itt we try to name a better rpg than Gothic 2

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2

Itt we try to name a better rpg than Gothic 2
>>
Ultima VII
Betrayal at Krondor
Lands of Lore
Wizardry IV
Pool of Radiance
Fallout 2
Bard's Tale I
>>
The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
>>
>>385016986
fuck youre old
>>
File: leo.jpg (24KB, 312x312px) Image search: [Google]
leo.jpg
24KB, 312x312px
>>385016986
>Wizardry IV
>>
>>385016510
skyrim
>>
Might & Magic 6
The progress from weak-ass pussy who has to bait goblins in order to fight them 1on1 to flying, teleporting, blaster rifle-wielding god of death who can cause map-wide genocide with a single spell is amazing.
>>
>>385016510
Fine RPG shitty video game.
RPGs belong to the scrap heap of history.

Thus ends the lesson.
>>
>>385016510
I actually liked Risen3
>>
>>385016986
I only played pool of radiance of these and i can tell it:s not better than gothic2
Small map,every place feels like labirynth,as i remember 6 lvl cap
Thief is heavily underpowered,there are only like 4 quests in the game.I don't see why u listed it here
>>
>>385020064
Same, even though it was such a bizarre mix of awkward combat, shallow story and zero difficulty where you had to deliberately gimp yourself.
I guess the neat world design and typical PB dialogue drew me in.
>>
Traditional rpgs are obselete after dark souls
>>
I am watching someone play this, combat looks boring but otherwise its nice
>>
>>385018925
This is the problem with rpgs though. Reverse difficulty curves. Its why rpgs will always be a genre for casuals.
>>
>>385016510
darklands
>>
>>385016510

I've started Gothic 2 Gold a few days ago. The difficulty is a bit stupid, since I get one shotted by every enemy in the game. I get it, the goal is to learn the patterns and get accustomed to the controls, but if you can't take 3 or 4 hits from a fucking wolf/fly/lizard then you really have no chance to actually learn those patterns. I have read that apparently NOTR had a very big difficulty spike when compared to vanilla Gothic 2, because there was a request from veteran players for them to do so. But I'm not a veteran player.

Also, while the game is immersive, I find that the magic system is very mundane and doesn't really allow for much creativity. Also building a character is very boring, since there are very few skills and there is really not much distinction between weapons. Not having polearms/spears that actually are used to thrust is a big flaw when compared to other rpgs.

On the positive side, I love the importance they gave to food and general supplies. I really LOVE that, I think it's brilliant.

But if you want me to be fair, I prefer Morrowind, Baldur's Gate saga, and most of the Souls games, just as examples.
>>
>>385020906
Spoted the mongoloid.
>>
>>385022440
Heres a tip for you. Dont bother learning the patterns, especially for animals. Simply attack with your higher ranged sword/axe and push them back. Blocking is overrated and you cant block animals anyways. I agree the game could have used spears. I dont find character building boring though because it is not a game I would play more than thrice (once for each faction.) and each playthrough only allows you to get good enough at 1 or 2 stats. Str/dex 1h/2h/bow/crossbow and magic. The magic is boring I suppose, but I never use magic much anyways plus the magician is probably the strongest if you build it right. In many ways its a lot like witcher.
>>
>>385023450
I can't keep the animals at bay, they are simply too fast. I need to be able to successfully predict their movement to backstep, but to do it consistently, I need to actually last more than 1 second fighting them, so I can "learn" them.

Another thing, which is like you said, similar to the witcher: the fact that the character is already all made for you and you mostly don't really have many choices in dialogue really takes away from the experience.
>>
>TW1,2&3
>DA:O
>Planescape Torment
>Baldurs Gate 2
Just from the top of my head. Gothic was never really god tbqhwyf. Its mostly revolving around the world adapting to your choices. And thats the only thing it stands out on. Most quests are fetch quests and fetching an item in different ways doesnt really make it better. Controls and ui are a mess, and quest design is basically nonexistant. Often with nothing but "ask some people until you get the right answer".
There's a reason why it didnt take off, and the reason is that its pretty much underwhelming and not providing good entertainment
>>
>>385023703
You can keep the animals at bay. You should not be backstepping. I made this mistake as well. When they run at you simply attack with horizontal swipes and use the range of your weapon as an advantage.

As for character creation and dialogue, yes it sucks you cant customize and create your character, it really does, but I find the dialogue refreshing in its simplicity. No one is going into crazy long expositions and the few dialogue choices you have are still very important. Plus attacking npcs isnt as forbidden like in other rpgs since there is a distinction between beating someone up and killing them. Like how you can beat up everyone in the harbor district and the farmers and the mercs for extra exp.
>>
>>385023950
Except it took off very well in the places it was marketed to (germany, poland etc). Morrowind was marketed very hard in the US, and gothic was barely available. So that argument holds no weight.
>>
>>385016510
The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
>>
>>385024548
Oh its that "gothic 2 just wasnt marketed right" nonsense.
Yeah no. Not inititally but the US had a revised version coming out that did have proper marketing.
Not to mention that back in 2000 magazines were mainly what people used to get games info on, and it was featured in enough of them.
And its been 17 years. People had more than enough chances to play it and many simply find it unremarkable still.
Theres really nothing to argue about.
Also
>german game is popular in germany
wow
>>
>>385024943
I mean by your logic morrowind is shit because skyrim dumped all the useless shit morrowind had and now skyrim is the most popular rpg evar. Gothic was the first real action rpg. Something that witcher took greatly from as well. Gothic did plenty right. Just as morrowind did. But I guess sales numbers is all you can see, and judging from your original post you have not even played gothic.
>>
>>385024548
>and gothic was barely available.
Initially maybe, but they got a proper release later and were featured on most big websites. It simply didn't take off anon and people didn't care for it.
>>
>>385016510
op have you even played gothic 2
>>
>>385025276
Nigga I never said anything about morrowind.
protip: if you have to put words into other people's mouths to have an argument, then its probably not a very good one.
>But I guess sales numbers is all you can see,
No, but pretending that Gothic was more than an okay rpg that many people just didn't like as much as you pretend to is delusional. Trying to turn it into a meme about just being marketed wrong is the cream on top of that delusion. Gamespot gave it a 2/5. There's your marketing.
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.