[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is the most overrated games franchise of all time?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 8

File: zalda_v_ff.png (668KB, 2512x1792px) Image search: [Google]
zalda_v_ff.png
668KB, 2512x1792px
What is the most overrated games franchise of all time?
>>
zelda, by far
>>
They're both way too inconsistent to say
>>
>>385015882
Elder Scrolls
>>
>>385015882
probably Kingdom Hearts

FF has been bad almost longer than its been good though which is pretty damn sad.

Zelda's console games haven't been good for over 10 years though, so I could see why people would think its the most overrated
>>
File: full-color.png (46KB, 420x204px) Image search: [Google]
full-color.png
46KB, 420x204px
>>
HALO & AssCreed
>>
>>385015986
Nobody outside reddit even likes it though.
>>
File: 1458872923914.jpg (96KB, 736x718px) Image search: [Google]
1458872923914.jpg
96KB, 736x718px
Souls
Grand Theft Auto
Pokemon
DOOM

If I had to pick from those, probably Pokemon. Most games are just alright, and the ones that most fans dislike/ignore are actually the best games in the franchise (Pt, HGSS, BW, BW2) and the shittiest ones are the games which receive the most praise (RBY)
>>
Zelda had seven 10/10 games in a row for the first 15 years of it's life. Say what you will about the stagnation of the """formula""" (which is a proxy for just bad instances of gameplay as BotW shows a game is still good while remaining fundamentally Zelda), but even the games that came after those 7 are still arguably within the top 50 games of all time. No video games series even comes close to a track record like that.

If you think Zelda is overrated you're deliberately obtuse.
>>
>>385016712
Most Pokemon fans freely acknowledge that the games are shit by RPG standards.
>>
>>385016762
Zelda hasn't had a good console game since Wind Waker though. TP and after are nowhere near "top 50 of all time".
>>
>>385016762

This. Even the entries that failed to meet fan expectations stil turned out to be solid, well crafted games worth playing.
>>
>>385016990
Maybe the fans who actively discuss the games online do, but the overwhelming majority of the people who play/played it suck genwun dick harder than the city of San Francisco in the month of June.
>>
>>385015882
Mario for sure
>>
>>385017116

Those are some very strong personal opinions you have there.
>>
>>385015882
Uncharted or just Naughty Dog games in general.
>>
>>385016712
Souls blew up for a reason, the first two are two of the best games ever made.
>>
>>385017446
Not him but I slightly agree. TP was good but compared to OoT, MM, and WW it comes up short. PH and ST nothing to write home about. SS was just the blunder the series needed, ALBW was great and BotW fantastic. I call it 7 years of mediocrity.
>>
>>385017535
This. They're all hailed as masterpieces, but I always found them to be forgettable.
>>
Zelda has been mostly consistent in quality
Final Fantasy used to be GREAT and now it's become a self-masturbatory shitshow

I'd say it's Kingdom Hearts; it's offensively retarded yet people still eat it up
>>
>>385015882
I feel like the Nintendo flagships get a lot of free passes. They can be fun, sure, but at this point they're just riding on the success of older titles.
>>
>>385016328
>FF has been bad almost longer than its been good though which is pretty damn sad.
Yeah same. Really depressing. I enjoyed FFX, though.
>>
persona
>>
>>385015882
Final Fantasy
Dragon Quest
The Elder Scrolls
Fallout
>>
>>385015882
I would say Zelda peaked sooner than FF, but FF has been declining faster.
>>
>>385015882
zelda, mario or pokemon
>>
Tekken
Mass Erect
Mario
Civilization
Sonic
Metroid
Zelda
Star Wars
Call of Duty
Battlefield
Sims
>>
>>385017625

How does TP come up short compare to OoT? It does everythig but better. Even if you prefer OoT you gotta admit TP is still a good game. Even SS which was a let down was still a solid game. The only titles I'd call mediocre are the DS titles, which were still fun to play through.
>>
>>385016762
The fact there are people like you who think its this flawless is just more proof that it's overrated
>>
>>385018438
>Even if you prefer OoT you gotta admit TP is still a good game.
I did.

It just doesn't make an impression like any of the other 3D Zeldas do. It's inferior to Majoras Mask in atmosphere. It's inferior to Wind Waker in soundtrack, visuals, and cinematography. And also inferior to OoT in focus (time spent doing the game's intended content:dungeons), dungeon design, and having the game feel like an epic tale of adventure.
>>
>>385017535
the new new ND or the old ND games? i never liked uncharted or TLOU but really liked Jack and Daxter
>>
>>385018370
What the fuck do you even play then, this is every genre except anime rpgs you basement dweller.
>>
>>385015882
zelda is way more overrated than final fantasy, a random zelda fag is the equivalent to xv-kun
>>
>>385015882
Final Fantasy, God of War, Po0kemon, Kingdom Hearts, Metal Gear, and Uncharted.
>>
>>385017971
>Dragon Quest
how?
>>
>>385019656
>really liked Jack and Daxter
>Jack and Daxter
>Jack
>>
Kingdom Hearts
>>
>>385015882
Zelda
>>
>>385019487
but it's better overall
>>
Is there a series more overrated than Grand Theft Auto
>>
>>385020072
Not him but people here kept telling me how amazing DQ8 was and that I should play it. It was probably one of the most mediocre games I've ever played in my life. Though in it's defense I go out of my way to not play turn based RPG's because I'm tired of them and don't like the genres gameplay. Still, I gave it a shot and really didn't like it too much. The adult humor was neat and some of the cast members were alright I guess. I made it to the last dungeon before dropping the game because I couldn't force myself to play it anymore.
>>
>>385017116
*since Alttp
>>
>>385020190
No it's not.
>>
zelda because it's so entry level.

>>385015986
this too.
>>
>>385017446
I actually agree with him. I can think of 50 games I rather want to play than any Zelda below Wind Waker.

And it's not even a strong or weird opinion. The weirdest opinion I know is thinking that Ocarina of Time is the objectively best game ever, which I have heard a lot of tards spout without any shame. But I get it, you were below 12 when you first played it, it's okay to be impressed by what the game did back then.
>>
>>385020482
I played it last year and i'm 18+. it's easily top 50 tier.
>>
>>385020320
That's fair. I usually just considered it a solid RPG series
>>
I don't think either FF or Zelda can really be called overrated because even fans of either series generally hate specific games and most people who haven't played them don't give a shit about them, never really holding them in high regard. Games that seem to always get a free pass and are always held up as the best of their genre are the truly overrated ones. Uncharted comes to mind for me.
>>
File: 1376390114531.png (34KB, 346x193px) Image search: [Google]
1376390114531.png
34KB, 346x193px
>>385020190
Maybe on your scale. On mine it falls short. It doesn't push the bar forward at all, it felt like a step back. OoT brought great 3D design to the table, WW brought unbelievable animation and polish to the table, TP just felt dragged out and the game suffered from a lack of focus. There's a lot of unnecessary padding (sniff quests, light vessels, the horribly long intro, dominion rod quest, zora prince bullshit, etc). To be fair Wind Waker had some padding issues toward the end too, but Twilight Princess just didn't have the visual and audible chocolate that made Wind Waker stand out, the focus that made Ocarina of Time amazing, or the shift in atmosphere and content that made Majora's Mask so different and memorable. It tried to do all three, threw in a ton of extra unnecessary bullshit, and missed the mark. It's still good, but it's too ambitious for its own good, like Skyrim.
>>
>>385020634
It's a good game, but it's not the objectively best game ever. That's what the thread is about, which one that is most overrated, not actual quality.

At least Final Fantasy gets shat on when it should be shit on. With that said, I would still rather replay Lightning Returns than Ocarina of Time
>>
>>385019487

I disagree, It has some of the best dungeons and bosses in the 3D franchise, the gameplay is tight and the overall journey is pretty epic, and these points are widely agreed upon by the gaming community.

I agree that the soundtrack not being orchestrated suffers a lot, the visuals aren't as timeless as WW's (but then again, neither are the original OoT visuals) but overall it is an improvement on what OoT did.
>>
>>385015882
GTA. Not a single good game, popualized the open world meme genre which is also filled with trash games. Every game is just filler with boring stories, combat and mini-games and fetch quests.
>>
>>385020863
I think you can because they are those franchises that has games that gets unjustifiably praised-

Also, Final Fantasy VII and Ocarina of Time are both the poster-children of overrated. They are for games what Harry Potter is for books, an insane phenomenon that lives on because people can't get over how good the games/books where when they were young
>>
>>385015882
Final Fantasy
Everyone has played an FF
>>
File: 1475673367292.jpg (101KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
1475673367292.jpg
101KB, 800x800px
>>385021279
>an FF
>>
Kingom Hearts easily.
It's the worst videogame series ever made
>>
>>385021417
an eff eff
a vs an is determined by the first *pronounced* letter, if when you see FF you read Final Fantasy then it's a, if you read eff eff it's an.
>>
>>385021561
No one sane says EFF EFF when they see FF as a shortening of Final Fantasy.
>>
Mario
There are like hundred mario games, and of those, maybe 15% are any good

Oh yeah, CS and CoD too
>>
>>385021676
everyone does except you, autist, there's no point in saying out the whole thing in your head
>>
>>385021931
>everyone does except you
The fuck? Since when?
>>
File: 1469765295756.png (259KB, 687x762px) Image search: [Google]
1469765295756.png
259KB, 687x762px
>>385016567
>HALO
Seems the most probable. Very mediocre FPS on a console with slow, forgiving mechanics. It was released during a period of top-tier FPS games that are still among the best today, so it was completely doomed to fail. Except it was a launch title, and many kids' first introduction to the genre.
>>
>>385020957
I think it boils down to what kind of experience you want.

Like, a really long adventure with actually lots of places (TP) or a game that just gives the illusion of being epic, but when in reality Hyrule Field is as big as someone's backyard and distance between everything is like, just across the road (Ocarina).

I remember TP had lots of empty space though...
>>
File: 1353224089262.png (111KB, 383x315px) Image search: [Google]
1353224089262.png
111KB, 383x315px
I don't think there really can be a most overrated game franchise right now because a lot of them are well done games but with flaws, and the really long-running series that could be considered overrated now did have good games made for in the past, like Mario. Plus, we have to take objectivity into account, and that's impossible because most people here are just going to say a game series that they don't like or just don't like the direction that the new games are going in, like Zelda. One more thing that we need to take into account is how many people actually think about the series, play it, and praise it even though it might be shit. I would have said Street Fighter was extremely overrated, but not too many people even know that fighting games exist these days.

If we ignored the first issue of judging a series by including all of its entries and not just focusing on the newest games, then I'd list Mario, Sonic, Final Fantasy, and Legend of Zelda.
>>
>>385022451
>forgets Kingdom Hearts
>>
>>385022451
I think I would agree on Sonic, Final Fantasy and Legend of Zelda - but I'm actually having trouble with seeing Mario as overrated.

What series does 2D and 3D platforming better than Mario? I know there a few titles that stink and I personally don't like Super Mario 64, but among platformers I can't really think of any franchise or single game that is better.
>>
>>385015986
Any Bethesda game really.

Same with Ubisoft
>>
>>385022358
And I'm okay with that, but as far as I'm concerned, anything that TP offers me can be found done better and in greater abundance in one of the other three games I mentioned. I actually do think TP has some great dungeons. Lakebed, Forest, and Arbiter's come to mind, especially on the soundtrack, but I still prefer the other three.
>>
>>385016328
Let's be real. Even pre-2001, it varied from mediocre to good.
>>
File: logo.png (20KB, 204x132px) Image search: [Google]
logo.png
20KB, 204x132px
Living proof you can shit in a bowl and weebs will eat it up.
>>
>>385023075
I should've said so in my previous post, but I'm not the same anon. Me personally like Wind Waker more, but when I played Ocarina of Time I found out that the exploring experience was weirdly the same even though Ocarina is so much smaller - but being at sea at an actual far away place is kind of atmospheric sometimes, so yeah, I think it boils down to that. I honestly think that when it comes to gameplay they are all pretty much the same...
>>
>>385023237
>he thinks Tales of Maj'Eyal is bad
end yourself
>>
>>385023237
I don't agree, most fans are aware of how mediocre the game franchise is, heck, even the game designers know it. They have said something like "Tales of are like gum drops, they are perhaps not the best, but you can't stop liking them".

Like, I feel like I can play most of them and know that I'm going to have a good (enough) time.
>>
>>385021931
I don't.
>>
>>385024012
You are retarded.
Tales of Maj'Eyal isn't made by tales of.
Literally choke on this (You)
>>
>>385015882

The tactical/realistic military games trend that has exploded in the past few years among more mainstream audiences. (pick any early access fps on steam)

Anything by mainstream RPG developers since around 2007 (Fallout, Mass Effect, Elder Scrolls)

Trendy PC games as a whole (Minecraft, Civilization, Counter-Strike)
>>
>>385015882
The one most people like except for you and me, OP.

"Overrated" is such a pointless, shitty term that says absolutely nothing about the quality of a work. It"s just mindless pontification.
>>
half-life, by a long shot
>>
>>385015882
Final Fantasy hasn't gotten a decent game in 15 fucking years, so that.
Thread posts: 80
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.