[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is Witcher 3 really the greatest game ever made like so many

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 7

File: image.jpg (163KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
163KB, 1024x576px
Is Witcher 3 really the greatest game ever made like so many people like to say. I just find that hard to believe.
>>
>>384999547
Its a solid 9.5/10 but not the greatest game ever made. Thats Suikoden 2
>>
It's a well made game with a likeable main character and a lot of shit to see and do.

That said, the combat is boring and a lot of the quests boil down to "listen to these mean villagers not understand how monsters work, then use your batman vision to track down the monster and kill it"
>>
>>384999547
It's a great game, but overrated. Combat is just barely good enough, but everything else let's me overlook that.
>>
>>384999639
The scripting and voice acting is really good, which helps a lot. I usually skip a lot of dialogue, but not in tw3.
>>
its an open world meme game with a cinematic storyline to experience so its perfect
>>
>>384999547
I've put more than 300 hours into it, always tried different builds and endings and it is easily my favorite game of all time. It is not perfect but great, especially the Expansion Packs.Though the writing of the main campaign near the end was shitty imo.
>>
>>384999547
It's a good game that fell too hard into Triple A trends meme because otherwise CDPR couldn't fund or even make it.
A lot of shit like open world were developed just barely enough to be a marketing point and then abandoned.
>>
Very superficially driven game.
>>
>>384999639
This anon knows what's up
>>
>>384999639
>>384999648

The combat complaint is just one critisism i don't get with this game.
I thought it was pretty good, my main issue was that it just reminded me of assassins creed without the handholding "block now" messages popping up.
>>
File: 20161123193044_1.jpg (347KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
20161123193044_1.jpg
347KB, 1920x1080px
>>384999648
this
basically, its a good looking open world game with good story and tons of dialogues, fighting is decent but nothing extraordinary, and witcher senses makes every quest "rightclick till you find a red object and have geralt tell you what to do next" and it gets tiring after youre 50 hours in.
Its definetly worth the money, DLC included.
>>
File: muh death march.webm (3MB, 320x200px) Image search: [Google]
muh death march.webm
3MB, 320x200px
>greatest game ever made
>has one of the worst gameplays in recent years on top of complete lack of challenge even on maximum difficulty
Combat is atrocious, the best parts of TW3 is immersion and some quest dialogues.
It's a good Ubisoft game.
>>
>>384999547

>Is Witcher 3 really the greatest game ever made like so many people like to say.

It's literally greater than every game ever made past and future.
>>
File: 1455295927485.jpg (36KB, 540x960px) Image search: [Google]
1455295927485.jpg
36KB, 540x960px
i played up to that red guy who had a demon baby or something. about seven hours, i guess. i thought it was one of the most boring games i've ever played in my life. haven't touched it since that initial play session. great visuals though.
>>
>>384999547
it's x10 time better if you read the books
>>
>>384999547
>Is Witcher 3 really the greatest game ever made like so many people like to say. I just find that hard to believe.
If you aren't literally retarded, you should have already realized that no, it's not. There actually probably isn't ONE greatest game ever made to begin with. Just a lot of games appealing to a lot of different people for different reasons.

As for TW3 - it's pretty impressive and can be very enjoyable.
It's beautiful: not only graphics-wise, it's artistically very well done. It has fantastic art direction, great music, huge amount of care put into detail, fantastic soundtrack etc...
It's also fairly well written - while it has a few weaker points, it's generally above gaming writing and at times even fantastic - with a lot of good characters, side quests, well flowing dialogue etc...
It's huge - the sheer amount of content on display is pretty staggering.
It rewards played choices and it does so in a way that is not insulting.

It excels in all of those things.
What it does not excel is the actual combat, depth of systems - character progression and again combat in particular are fairly bare-bones.
Given the games huge size, scope and length, the lack of depth results in things starting to repeat themselves later, and the game just fails to surprise you or even particularly challenge you over time: it's easy to get yourself in a fairly basic routine mechanic-wise while you are exploring all the beautiful narrative content, and that is not a great thing: the gameplay just does not keep up with the narrative stuff.

None of it's issues are fatal. And the popularity comes from the fact that it still does a LOT of things right, especially things that people will remember the most (the world, the characters, the presentation and atmosphere) while it does most of the rest adequately, making it not really ever a complete CHORE, while rarely exciting mechanically-wise.

It's pretty good at somethings, not great at others. But it is memorable.
>>
>>384999547
It has really good writing, acting, cinematography, music, but it's pretty mediocre in the actual gameplay, combat, progression, loot systems, etc.
>>
>>385000054
Lol talk about a cherry picked webm
>>
>>385000295
That's because the combat is a fucking borefest... and you dont play this game for the combat.
>>
>>384999547
undoubtedly the most critical acclaimed rpg ever, no other studio will come even close to touching its production, story, setting for decades to come.

maybe in top 5 best game of all times
>>
Baldur's Gate II is the best RPG of all time and has been for the last like 20 years.

Witcher is a great game, nevertheless.
>>
>>384999547
Is The Witcher 3 Morrowind? No, it's not.

But it's legit one of the best games of the last few years. The Witcher 3 is a game that tells it stories pretty much perfectly. The writing, acting, cinematics, etc. are all very good. Usually I balk at plot-heavy games as B-rated schlock (looking at you, Bioware), but The Witcher 3 shows that it's both possible and worthwhile to make good "cinematic" games. It genuinely feels like being sucked into an outstanding movie or tv series.

The gameplay is... acceptable. I really don't see the point in the witcher senses, for instance, because it's never really used in a clever way. Its sole purpose is to get you more invested in Geralt's character, because you're actively following a trail rather than having stuff pop up on your minimap. But it's not... fun. it's a narrative tool, not a gameplay aspect. The combat is servicable. I'd say it's mostly good by virtue of the Witcher 3 being an RPG, and in terms of RPG combat it's pretty damn solid. The different builds are fun enough, and the game isn't anal about letting you respec. But mostly combat is sold through the framing. It feels visceral because your opponent has been set up in the narrative, even if only briefly. Not all of your choices really impact the game, but they speak to your own moral character.

That's what I keep getting back to: Everything in The Witcher 3 is either competent, or downright outstanding. But it shines as a narrative experience, and still manages to include the interactivity and player decisions that give video games so much potential.

But if you're not interested in a narrative experience, you're not interested in The Witcher 3. Anyone who complains about the combat should play Dark Souls. The Witcher 3 is story and character driven.
>>
>>385000458
>someone actually type all of this out, just to reply to bait
What is wrong with you?
>>
>>385000853
>le cherry picked meme
>le glitch meme
Backstep and heavy attack wins the game against any opponent, shill.
>>
>>385001191
>Is The Witcher 3 Morrowind?
completely different games
>>
>>385001394
Are you retarded?
>>
>>385001392

When i play a game i don't go out of my way to make the experience as shit as possible.
Just because it's possible to beat an enemy by repeating the same 2 actions over and over doesn't mean you should do it that way. You're meant to enjoy the game.
I bet you don't enjoy much anymore do you anon?
>>
>>385001624
Nope
>>
>>385000054
I agree. Combat is dog shit.
Rest is good though.
>>
>>385000054
tbf, thats what geralt does in the books
>>
>>385002174
Absolutely not
>>
Witcher 3 has the best combat in an open world game to date.

Fact
>>
>>385002315
That's like being first in special olympics.
>>
>>384999547
It's greatest modern AAA game.
>>
>>385000034
its does its job for the first 6 hours. it's just your generic aaa action title (arkham/ac, etc).
>>
File: gereeld.png (263KB, 361x421px) Image search: [Google]
gereeld.png
263KB, 361x421px
>>384999547
some quests are too repetitive
>Find quest object with witcher senses and minimap markers
has huge balance issues, albeit it's a single player game so who gives a fuck
all in all it is pretty fun
>>
>>384999547
In all honesty its a very good game, but the combat lacks any challenge and just doesnt feel satisfying.
I play this game for the characters, the music, the above-average writing and great voice acting. Also gwent.
>>
I'm liking the game, but too may dialog options end with stupid shit like "how about THIS (draws sword)", which is like a cheesy 80s action movie and it's awful. It'd be nice if the text for the options matched what he was actually going to say/do more closely.
>>
I'm your typical normie for the past few years and this game is 7.5/10 at best, haven't played the dlcs though.
>>
File: wait a sec.jpg (45KB, 600x578px) Image search: [Google]
wait a sec.jpg
45KB, 600x578px
>>384999547
>/v/ was creaming it's pants over Witcher 2 back in the day.
>Decided to pick up the series and start at one.
>It was shit and I had to drop it, but fair enough. I knew full well that the general opinion was 1 wasn't good
>picked up 2
>got bored and dropped it

You can't meme me enough to spend bandwidth on pirating Witcher 3.
>>
>>384999547
I finally got around to playing it. Fucking cutscenes everywhere. And the Baron hanging himself was fucking bullshit. He finally acted like he sobered up and regretted his past abuses, and Boom, hanging from a tree. Novigrad is boring as fuck so far as well.
And the fact that those poles can make NPCs do everything BUT be nice to Geralt after he just saved their fucking life is just shoddy.
>>
>>384999547
It's a modern game with widespread popularity and universal acclaim across different platforms and demographics. That can only mean it's AT LEAST moderately dumbed down and safe. That means it's not the greatest game ever made or even close.
>>
>>385004432
It's actually good this time I swear
>>
Witcher 3 is a good game and probably one of the better open-world games out there.

The main character is likeable and the writing is excellent.

The DLCs are good (well, HoS was brilliant and B&W seems good though I'm only a few MQ's into it so take that with a pinch of salt) and it looks great.

While it does have some downfalls, I really think it's a good balance between keeping it accessible without dumbing it down to a retarded level.

If you beat Witcher 2 you'll probably find it pretty easy.

"best game of all time"?
Nah, but I think considering how the market is people were just refreshed to have a good game made by talented devs which performed well in gameplay, writing and graphics/sound departments.
>>
one of the best games in recent years, one of the best open world games of all time, but definitely not among the greatest games ever.
I wish this wasn't marketed as an RPG because there's hardly any role playing involved. still, Geralt is likable and so are the majority of the cast. I enjoyed being a vagrant in Velen, but I didn't enjoy saving the world against yet another ancient evil.
>>
>>385001695
>look at how piss easy this combat is. I don't even have to try to play the GAME part of a VIDEO GAME
>xdxdxd y-you're just doing to yourself

Every shooter has been "Shoot the dudes in the head" yet there's a reason Quake 4 is shit compared to Quake 1. Let's skip the bullshit and you come out and admit this is your favorite movie vidya. A bad choice I might say, but 1 I understand.
>>
>>384999547
Lovely environment BUT OTHERWISE IT IS JUST LIKE ASSASSIN'S CREED. I don't really understand all the reviews, I just don't. Solid 7/10. I've been trying to play it since it was released and I have 50 hours in. I can't play it more than 40 minutes max because it's just like fucking Ubisoft games, stupid and shallow.
>>
File: 1425532063371.jpg (10KB, 237x212px) Image search: [Google]
1425532063371.jpg
10KB, 237x212px
>>384999547
It has worse gameplay than Skyrim, but way more soul to make up for it. The experience, the fun factor, the feels, the adventure.

Matters more than formulaic gameplay shit.
>>
>>384999547
don't be one of those faggot that start by playing W3 without playing the previous two first
>>
>>385000373
the only decent books are the short story collections

the novels are shit
>>
>>384999547
There is no single greatest game ever. There are games that are better than others. But even the games at the top are basically better to specific types of people.
Thread posts: 52
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.