[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is the hardest game of all time, /v/? >pic not related

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 86
Thread images: 16

File: 1495596363047.jpg (81KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1495596363047.jpg
81KB, 1280x720px
What is the hardest game of all time, /v/?

>pic not related
>>
super mario sunshine
>>
Dark Souls
>>
>>384985750
Jackie Chan
>>
File: RAGE.gif (401KB, 300x444px) Image search: [Google]
RAGE.gif
401KB, 300x444px
battletoads
>>
File: Battletoads Turbo Tunnel.webm (3MB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
Battletoads Turbo Tunnel.webm
3MB, 320x240px
>>384986116
Probably the most hard game you can beat without a guide.
>>
>>384985750
Since its pic related, here's a shitman story for you:
>go to the Hitman forums because I was late to the party for Hitman 2016 and wanted to have a bit of conversation about it
>as in every forum, people just circlejerk over minute details
>forum "regulars" unironically state that BM was the worst Hitman and Absolution the best
>same "regulars" make threads about how to improve season 2 with obvious Absolution bs
>make post disagreeing
>you're a new account anon, we can't take you seriously
And thats why forums are a shit concept.
>>
life :(
>>
File: werdna.gif (12KB, 696x486px) Image search: [Google]
werdna.gif
12KB, 696x486px
>>
>>384985750
>Always Online, even after buying the steelbook edition
>Elusive targets, when I don't even know how to take down the main targets with precision
I despise watching Let's Plays vs a informational example, but it doesn't look like there are any good videos on YouTube.
>>
>>384986375
They're not wrong. BM certainly isn't the worst in the series but it's not the best either. Only wannabe hardcore gamer hipsters say otherwise.
>>
>>384986690
so winch one is the best one ?
>>
>>384986756
HITMAN '16
>>
By genre

-Shmup:
Graidus 3, arcade version
mushihimesama, ultimate

-Platformer
Ghosts and Goblins 1&2, arcade version. 1cc
Rolling Thunder 2, arcade version, 1cc

-Beat em up
Final Fight, Haggar, 1cc arcade version
The Punisher, 1cc arcade version

-SRPG
XCOM, highest difficulty

-RPG
Wizardry 4, Nethack

-FPS
Far Cry 1, Realistic
Serious Sam 2, Mental difficulty

-Racing
F-zero GX, story mode. Very hard.
>>
>>384987037
Which XCOM?
>>
>>384985750
The one that is played against actual people, which means that the multiplayer pvp game with the biggest player talent pool is the hardest one. Ironically, such a game is DOTA2, since it has the biggest player talent poll in the world due to the biggest tournament prize fund that attracts the absolute best players in the world.
>>
>>384986116
objectively this since the game devs didn't know how to make a good game, they just copied ninja turtles and released this shitty mess.

Granted it was a glorious shitty mess that actually managed to give gamestop employees literal PTSD, but glorious all the same.

I'm not joking about that ptsd thing either.
>>
>>384986250

i think i might be able to beat this now as an adult
>>
>>384987037
Have you played any of those games? Be honest.
>>
>>384987284
good luck friend

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neuroplasticity
>>
>>384987472

yeah well thats what save states are for
>>
File: bw3.jpg (85KB, 808x465px) Image search: [Google]
bw3.jpg
85KB, 808x465px
Speaking of hitman, one should get the full experience edition, right?
The other only covers the first season but there's talk about a season 2 coming and the full experience should hopefully cover that.
>>
>>384987113
The water themed one. The RPG and SRPG section are not games I have played but I have talked to very talented people that play such genres and that's what they told me.

All the other games I have personal experience with and can vouch for.

The choice I feel least confident about is the beat em up category. This is because I am only familiar with the later beat em ups which are generally a bit easier. So there might some old beat em up from the Final Fight era I am unaware of.

If there is such a game it would definitly be an arcade game, the console beat em ups are laughably easy compared to what goes on in the arcade.
>>
>>384987534
I played it on Rare Replay. It's a fucking chore even with the cheats on (infinite lives, rewind)
>>
>>384987382
All except XCOM, Wizardry 4, and Nethack. I had got those suggestions from I guy I know who's pretty good in that genre.
>>
>>384987724
>beat em up category

tfw i will always suck at shadow over mystara
>>
>>384986873
>>384986690
>They're not wrong
While I agree that 2016 is ultimately the better game, saying Absolution is the best, is so wrong, it should be listed under "wrong" in the dictionary
>>
>>384987648
No. Season 2 will most likely be its own executable like Season 1 is now.
>>
>>384987909
Kikes, the lot of them.
>>
>>384987794
You meant Mushihimesama Futari Ultra. Ghouls n Ghosts is the easiest game in the series, Super is harder. No idea what Rolling Thunder 2 is doing there desu. No Dustforce? No Umihara Kawase? No Ninja Gaiden games? Need to mention that Final Fight has to be set to the hardest setting in the dip switches, The Punisher is one of the easier Capcom beat em ups. Many other games could take its place, like Battletoads arcade.
>>
File: catslug.jpg (24KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
catslug.jpg
24KB, 500x500px
>>384985750
name one game harder than this
>>
File: 1500878252706.webm (1MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1500878252706.webm
1MB, 1280x720px
>>
>people consider to have beaten a game when using save states
Really? You can't sit down for half an hour and dedicate that time to mastering a level? It is not like you would spend that half hour doing anything productive, don't kid yourself.

>>384988115
The NES GnG was much harder than Super, but not in a good way. It was much more annoying to play. Then again, I only played it once, I may want to get back to it.
>>
>>384987852
That's a pretty weird beat em up because there's no throw command.

It looks like /v/ doesn't play games, at least not any hard ones. Like I'm the only guy that actually made a list, and it's not even a complete list as it's missing several genres.

You had several guys mentioning battles which is just sad. It's the type of thing someone reaches for when they are trying to appear knowledge but don't actually play games. Same is true for all the NES games that get name dropped in 'harddest game evar' lists.
>>
>>384986873
>always online
>episodic
DROPPED
>>
>>384988238
Only if you play Super on normal instead of hard mode. Super on hard mode is pretty tough, on par with the arcade version of the first game I would say. Ghouls n Ghosts is easier than both though. Very tame game, being able to cheese the arremers with charged attacks helps a great deal, and their AI isnt too annoying in general.
>>
Being happy
>>
>>384988458
Invalid complaints, hipster.
>>
>>384988497
I see, I might want to get back to you on that one.
>>
>>384988115
>No Dustforce
I made an effort to only include fun games. I don't know if the game is any challenge but it looks like it was designed for the autestic in mind.

>No Ninja Gaiden games
LOL What? Now I'm not taking you seriously. If you mean the 3D ones, you've got infinite continues and a fucking block button. The 2D ones, you want invunability frames you either need to spend health or have an enemy in grappling range. 3D beat em ups are not hard compared to what goes on in the arcade.

If you mean NES Ninja Gaiden. Dude, I beat those in a couple of days.

>Ghouls n Ghosts is the easiest game in the series, Super is harder
Meant the first and second arcade game. The first one is definitly harder because you lack vertical aiming and the enemy spawn rate is way more aggressive.

>>384988238
Are you talking console games? Any genre that is made, if it is in both console and arcade the arcade one's are WAY harder with very, very exceptions (I think the arcade version of f-zero has no story mode for instance). There are however certain genres like FPS and RPG with no arcade games.
>>
>>384988641
I'm not saying Blood Money is better. Both are shit.
>>
File: 1500114649372.png (23KB, 240x240px) Image search: [Google]
1500114649372.png
23KB, 240x240px
>>384985750
It seems to me that there are games out there that are actually impossibly hard, yet not incompetently designed, or full of cheap tricks.
Nothing is coming to mind at the moment though...
>>
>>384985750
>Doesn't say Absopooption as the subtitle

Bad image. Try again later.
>>
>>384988939
I'm just saying that those aren't valid game related reasons
>>
>>384989013
I'd say the online part is.
>>
>>384988910
Dustforce is pretty solid no idea what your issue with it is. I meant the 2D NG games, they're no walk in the park if you're going for a 1cc and certainly harder than Ghouls n Ghosts. 3D beat em ups can be pretty hard desu, for example doing a no death run of god hand's hard mode is significantly more challenging than most 2D beat em ups, and that's not even the hardest thing you can do there. Unless you are comparing an arcade 1cc to beating 3D beat em ups with 100 deaths in which case it's a silly comparison.
>>
>>384988939
And with that your """opinion""" is discarded. Thats how simple it is anon.
>>
>>384985996
That's where you're wrong senpai
>trial and error: the game
>>
File: rain world.png (1MB, 950x950px) Image search: [Google]
rain world.png
1MB, 950x950px
>>384988203
>tfw it took me up to a couple hundred deaths before beating this game the first time through

And to answer your question in a relevant genre, I'd say try Oddworld 1 and 2.
>>
>>384989196
>I meant the 2D NG games, they're no walk in the park if you're going for a 1cc

The levels are pretty determinate so it's very easy to just memorize them and never get hit. As for the bosses clone stacking or the spinning blade cheeses em.

GnG there is so much random or unpredictable stuff even if you memorize every damn thing it can still trip you up. And the first game gives you no way to cheese the bosses. While the second one, getting the gold armor is way harder than getting the spinning blade (and it's way easier to lose) and it's not nearly as cheesy.

>Unless you are comparing an arcade 1cc to beating 3D beat em ups with 100 deaths in which case it's a silly comparison.

Here's the thing about 3D beat em ups. They were designed with continues in mind. If you don't continue you are going to have to redo lots of tedious walking/collecting sections and watching tons of unskippable micro-cutscenes. Like imagine if you didn't continue in DMC1. Every time you die you need to redo that first part where you run around and collect 40 orbs in a room with no enemies. The only person that could possibly find that interesting is an autestic person, which seems to be the same sort of people that play dustforce.

Like I said my list is only based around playing games that are fun. So if something is harder but not fun it doesn't make the list. For example playing standing on your head and using using your toes to control everything is harder, but it wouldn't be fun.
>>
File: image_1.jpg (71KB, 500x600px) Image search: [Google]
image_1.jpg
71KB, 500x600px
Midnight Club LA pre patch.
>>
>>384985750
Crash Souls 2: Scholar of the First Bandicoot
>>
File: 1483929431935.jpg (43KB, 297x231px) Image search: [Google]
1483929431935.jpg
43KB, 297x231px
>>384989478
>this pic
I cringed hard
Applebread go away
>>
>>384989781
NG execution is way tighter though so even if you memorize it its easy to slip up, and GnG 2's rng isn't as big of a deal as it is in the first game. NG 3s final level is also some iwbtg shit with a strict as fuck timer. God Hand's cutscenes are all skippable abd it has almost no filler at all so don't worry :^). Seriously though my point is that achieving competency in those games can be pretty damn hard, harder than their arcade counterparts. Simply getting through them with a hundred deaths isn't hard yeah
>>
>>384989459
I hate how people call it that, the trail and error commends don't make much sense to me, as a guy who did most things in that game first time. I fail to see how it's different from any other third person action game in terms of difficulty or mechanics, you literally just learn how your character moves then use your reactions to dodge enemy attacks. I'm pretty sure I died more in Devil May Cry and that game wasn't at all trail and error. I certainly died more in Hollow Knight and I wouldn't call that a trial and error game either.
>>
>>384987037
-RTS
Wargame: Red Dragon
>>
File: Wizardry IV.jpg (142KB, 500x764px) Image search: [Google]
Wizardry IV.jpg
142KB, 500x764px
>>384985750
Wizardry IV: The Return of Werdna
>>
>>384990185
>NG 3's final level
I agree there. I think it's the hardest level of the series. I beat that game in like 4 days though. I played GNG for months and never beat it, I've never known anyone that has (let alone beat it with some no-death special rule)! Meanwhile there are people that beat NG when they were fucking children!

That's how big of a difference there is between the games.

>God Hand's cutscenes are all skippable abd it has almost no filler at all so don't worry

Havn't played God hand so I can't verify that. I never bothered with it because I despise rubber-band mechanics. General experience with 3D beat em ups is that they are really filler heavy. Like all of the item puzzles in DMC/NG games, the long walking sections in Bayo make them completly unfit for no save runs.
>>
>>384990823
You're doing something very wrong then. It took me around 10-20 hours of practice to get a 1-ALL of Ghouls n Ghosts, a 2-ALL would be very doable with some more grinding and savestate practice too but honestly I can't be fucked doing loops. The first game is doable too, make sure you're using the tapping exploit and learn the arremer AI (they start charging at you if you wait a while, if you use the tapping exploit you can quick kill them as they approach you). There are also some bugs you can use to get rid of the 2 ogres on the final level and get out of the sticky situation in level 2. You need some luck with the dragon and the last boss, but the game's pretty short so it's not too bad. You're right about 3D beat em ups, that's why I prefer 2D ones as well generally but God Hand is one of the very few games that doesn't have the usual bullshit platforming. puzzle solving or exploration to pad it out. You may need to run around and break some boxes if you're in desperate need of money but you can get by without it too. I mostly just think it's silly to compare a 1cc which is a display of competence in 2D beat em ups to a casual run with 100 deaths in 3D beat em ups. The latter's more akin to credit feeding than anything, something you do while you're still practicing.
>>
File: latest.jpg (23KB, 544x421px) Image search: [Google]
latest.jpg
23KB, 544x421px
Probably unironically starcraft 1 vs a pro player.
The hardest game ever would likely have to come from playing against a human opponent. Not compound that with the years of training that people like Flash have. And add into the mix the horrible design flaws of StarCraft which make it abysmally difficult to control. And you get a mix that is almost impossible difficult.
>>
>>384991640
>The hardest game ever would likely have to come from playing against a human opponent.
Not really, humans have limitations that AI can easily bypass. Even pro players make mistakes, AI doesn't have to. Realistically speaking it doesn't apply to most games out there, but if you wanted to specifically design the hardest game ever which is also beatable in theory, then it'd just be against the AI/other game systems. Making a game that's pretty much just a reaction time test where you have to consistently get under 50 ms for 20 minutes, for example.
>>
>>384985750
Certainly not Dark Souls. The hardest game of all time is difficult to find, look at the NES library, there are some games that are literally unbeatable because they were never polished ever, so probably games like the Takeshi Kitano game (which was intended to be almost unbeatable because Kitano fucking hated video games) or trash like "Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde".
>>
>>384991391
>using the tapping exploit
>savestate practice
>using bugs

Yeah, your approach is totally different than mine. You sound like you treat gaming as a fucking job. Like it's not about beating it for me but having fun in each indivual moment. Tediously save-state spamming to get a pattern down or using glitches that erease part of the game....like why even play at that point? I'd have more fun playing something piss easy like Klonoa properly than treating GnG like a job.

I think I've save-state practicd maybe once in my life and only use glitches if I both discovered them myself and I think they don't subtract from the fun.

To each his own I guess.

>>384992267
Even more than that. A game where you fight another player, each is given the same set of tools: ie we each need 3 rounds to win, pick the same characters, and our guns do the same damage.

AI can be given advantages. Like they get 3 people on their team, you're by yourself. They get to do extra damage and get different, better moves you than. Or you only 'win' if you beat all the 8 stages without losing a round.

>>384992642
>The hardest game of all time is difficult to find, look at the NES library
This sentence is a sure sign you don't know what you are talking about.

>unbeatable because they were never polished ever,
And this is a sign you arn't even interested in playing hard games. No one cares about your obscure buggy games. The only hard games that matter are FUN hard games. The well designed hard games!

Fucking retard. Don't talk about subjects you don't know anything about or even enjoy.
>>
>>384995741
The tapping exploit is like the #1 reason to play Ghosts n Goblins over the later games desu, it's incredibly fun to do and along with some other glitches makes you feel like you're beating the designers at their own game. Hell, the double ogres are an absurd, poorly thought out challenge and discovering one of the few ways to skip them is wonderful. Save state practice is the exact opposite of treating the game like a job, it's basically just the most fun part of playing games which is learning and forming strategies without the filler in between. What's the point of repeating levels you can do in your sleep just to die to the same section when you could spend 30 minutes practicing it and then enjoy playing the rest of the game?
>>
>>384996162
Ok you've sold me on trying your method.

Give me a game you think is pretty fun played through save-state practice and I'll try it for a few hours and see if I prefer it.
>>
>>384996283
R-Type series definitely, Psikyo games (Gunbird 2 and Dragon Blaze are GOAT), Hard Corps/Shattered Soldier. Anything really, but those games are especially good because they're all about planning with little to no RNG. I make 1-3 states per level generally, spamming them can become very frustrating very quickly.
>>
>>384996809
Shattered Soldier was a fun game. I never finished it because I always burned all my lives on the last bosses later forms. 45-55 minutes to get to him.

What this whole thing has convienced me is that hard games need a huge amount of RNG. The thing about save-stating is it breaks the narration. Even if your skipping the cutscenes and played it 50 times you are still Bill Rizer out to destroy the forces of Red Falcon, you just don't 'feel' that when you keep rewinding time to practice blowing him up. On the other hand if it's RNG heavy enough so that you're never falling asleep replaying the old stages you don't do the practice route.
>>
>>384986873
Here's where you are wrong: HITMAN 2016 has a world completely focused around you, it literally waits for you to execute a script.

Now go play Hitman Contracts and witness the perfection that is the Deadly Cargo level (and the strip club music). The SWAT raid does not wait for you to arrive and trigger. It does its own thing.

HITMAN 2016 could easily be the best Hitman game if it avoided this, along with adding some missing features. The world does not revolve around 47, he revolves around the world.
>>
Hardest, or the most bullshit one?

Ghosts and Goblins has so much shit in it, like bad controls, bad camera, fuck you items, unfair enemies and the fact you need to beat it twice to really finish it, that it is probably the hardest in a sense, however it falls into the category of artificial difficulty due bad game design.

Souls games I consider truly hardest, since while they can be hard, it is by design and fair.
>>
>>384986250

ha, i beat that as a kid
>>
File: Z7HeRxU.png (361KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
Z7HeRxU.png
361KB, 512x512px
>>384997372
>souls games
>hardest no-bullshit games
Nah son, that's far too subjective to even go in detail. What some call bullshit and artificial difficulty others see as a simple problem solved by playing slightly differently. Ys I's combat gimmick, for instance, might be seen as complete bullshit or a simple matter of lateral thinking
>>
>>384997372
>bad controls

The controls for the game are incredibly precious. You're just whining that the developers made your air options unforgiving.

>unfair enemies
WAH! Mommy! The mean red demon won't stand still and doesn't broadcast it's next moves 30 seconds in advance Why is everything so fast? This isn't like dark souls at all! Where's my potions?

>the fact you need to beat it twice to really finish it
LOL you're just telling us you don't know shit about the actually tough games. Nowadays not only do you need to beat the game twice but the second loop all of the enemies shoot more bullets and even after you beat the second loop a you still need to fight the giant bee from hell.

>Souls games I consider truly hardest, since while they can be hard, it is by design and fair.

Anyone that actually grew up with the old games of the past will tell you that the souls games represent what we used to call "normal". Souls games are what we play when we want to RELAX.
>>
>>384997080
Plenty of time to feel it during real runs. I don't think it's possible to have the perfect playing experience, every method will have its drawbacks. RNG is frustrating because of its inconsistency and discourages planning, scoring systems despite being good for making levels less boring are also frustrating because they can make you restart level 1 for hours, save states/practice modes kill the flow, etc.
>>
File: tips.jpg (9KB, 300x296px) Image search: [Google]
tips.jpg
9KB, 300x296px
>>384997820
>Being this fucking sperg to get triggered over somebody's opinion
>>
>>384997820
>You're just whining
>WAH! Mommy!
>This isn't like dark souls at all! Where's my potions?
>LOL
>Souls games are what we play when we want to RELAX
Not him, but why do you post like a butthurt autist?
>>
The problem with any single player game is that it's effectively a puzzle game. There's no interactivity and expanding difficulty like a human could give you.

Ultimately the only true challenge would be 1v1 with a human opponent in the flesh with two blades and a desire for honor. No vidya.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qRCzIj9QEo
>>
>>384985750
Super street fighter 2 turbo american version
>>
>>384997967
Because the guy is being funny. It's genuinally amusing to read people whining. Like it's one of those times where it's impossible to distinguish genuine stupidity from a pardoy.

He sounds like someone that gets his information about games from 4chan or youtube rather than actually playing them. The 'gng=bad controls' is like at the top of the list for signs of those people.

>>384997835
That's true. I think you can get closer to to the ideal though. Like if you look at later 2D beat em ups they really made the RNG stuff fun. You never get completly screwed over (ie in Final Fight where Andre decides to jump on your face during the worst possible frame). But there's enough variety to keep you on your toes.

The practice method works extremly well if the game uses a stage selection system (say megaman) so you can just straight to what you're stuck on.

I have almost never played for score in my life, except so far as to meet the quotas for 1ups. I find scoring arbtiary and they make your focus be not on the cool boss infront of you and the neat environment but some little number in the corner, the newer ones do that even more so because they flood the screen with dozens of gems or something.
>>
>>384997936
>opinion is fucking stupid and laughable
Why are you laughing at me and making fun of me. I-it's just an opinion. Everyone has them!
>>
>>384987964
And /v/ defends it completely.
>>
>>384988204
What game is this? It actually looks interesting.
>>
I wanna be the guy is harder than any of the games you guys mentioned. But it's easy compared to the hundreds of fangames some guys made of it.
>>
>>384999760
The problem is that it's a shit game. An ugly amalgamation of talentless pixel art and blown-up ripped sprites. Treating as a real game is like taking those shitty sprite-rip fan comics and putting them side by side with DC and Marvel comics.
>>
File: this is my life now.webm (3MB, 1210x1440px) Image search: [Google]
this is my life now.webm
3MB, 1210x1440px
>>384999620
DCS World
>>
>>385000015
I don't like the original game but there are high quality fangames of it
Thread posts: 86
Thread images: 16

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.