[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Monster Hunter

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 3

I wanna get into Monster Hunter. Which game should I start with?
I have MH Tri for Wii but couldn't get into it when I played it 7 years ago. Is it woth upgrading to MH3Ultimate?
Or should I bother with the 3ds games? I only got a regular 3ds and 2ds, are the games still enjoyable playing on those systems?

So many questions. Help me get to love this series!

Monster Hunter thread!
>>
Play 4U. 3U is a fine game, but the WiiU version is better. 3DS doesn't have online, and you'll want either a N3DS or a circle pad for underwater combat.
>>
4U.
>>
>>384944327
>>384944380
So 4U is easy to play even on the standard 3ds/2ds?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0EcM8ZDn6A
Other weapons in action that we hadn't seen before. Was hoping for some CB action to see if they kept the gen moveset, but oh well
>>
>>384944675
With Circle Pad Pro, yeah. I would avoid the 2DS, though.
>>
>>384944675
it has a lock on system that makes it a bit easier, though it might still take a bit of getting used to.
>>
>>384945064
>>384945194
Nice, I have that circle pad.

How does the single player hold up if I intend not to play with other?
>>
>>384945445
4U has the best single player in the series imo, it actually has a fun little story which i wasn't expecting in a MH game. I'd still recommend going online once you get used to the game though, just try and avoid french people
>>
>>384945445
Co-op is the main draw of Monster Hunter. You can solo all of the content if you're masochistic enough to deal with everything taking way longer than it should, but you might want to look into a different series if you intend to avoid multiplayer entirely.
>>
>>384943839
Monster hunter 3U or 4U is the way to go. 4U will definitely give you a better singleplayer experience with great tutorials and a cute story. 3U is a bit older and so there's some stuff that's in 4U but not 3U. There's one major thing in 3U but not in 4U. Underwater combat. It's pretty interesting, but overall I'd say 4U is a better starting place. 3U has slightly better controls and way better graphics (assuming you own a Wii U), but 4U is better if you will be playing solo.
>>
>>384945668
>>384945750
I'm not avoiding multiplayer, I'm just not sure if enough people still play the game, people who are not complete pros. Seems like I'm pretty late to the 4U party.

>>384944982
That stuff looks so hype
>>
>>384945668
>it actually has a fun little story which i wasn't expecting in a MH game
>wasn't expecting in a MH game

this should be a massive red flag if you intend to only play solo. despite it having a better story than the other MH games, it's still garbage compared to any game with a real good story
>>
>>384943839
freedom unite is a great place to start.
you can run it in ppsspp and even play online.
if you have a 3ds 4u is a good place to start. tough after freedom unite they all very sharply declined in difficulty. if you want a more challanging experience mhfu is the way to go. otherwise mh4u is a great place to start as a beginner. consider generations only if you are familiar with game mechanics and want to try out combat styles. theyre a lot of fun especially aerial and brave style.
>>
>>384946079
>freedom unite is a great place to start.
lol
>>
>>384946414
He's right though. Especially if you can play it on vita since you can customize the controls so theres actual camera control.
>>
>>384945967
I own a Wii U, but I also already own MH tri for Wii. Is 3U still worth getting?

>>384946059
No don't worry, I'm not interested in story

>>384946079
Actually I want to start with an easyier game, so 4U seems to be the way to go
>>
Generations is a great place to start because it has an active online community and is very accessible for an MH game.

4 Ultimate is considered the best and deepest portable MH, but it's more complex and less flashy than Generations.

Freedom Unite is the hardcore fan's favorite, it's generally harder and retains the clunky gameplay of the first games. If you want a more challenging experience you can try this.

As for the console MH games, Tri actually has a very good reputation, so maybe give it another chance. Other than that, you can either get a Switch (for a Switch version of Monster Hunter Generations' enhanced port), or a PS4/XBO (for Monster Hunter World, which is the next mainline MH game).

Fans are pretty split over those two upcoming games. Most longtime players will be getting World, but I prefer the Switch game because the Switch is an inherently better console for a series like Monster Hunter (thanks to its portability).

MH is a grind-heavy game that can be tedious at first, and combat can be Dark Souls level of challenging. It gets really engrossing once you get to know your weapon of choice and get into the groove of the game. It's also all about the multi-player, so reconsider if you're against it.
>>
>>384946612
3U is just a much better version of Tri with more content. I also think you should start with FU because it's got a shit ton of content and you probably won't want to go back to older clunkier mechanics after playing 4U.
FU -> P3rd -> 3U -> 4U is my recommendation. Both FU and P3rd can be emulated with PPSSPP and have online.
>>
I don't have a circle pad pro, is it impossible for me to play?
>>
>>384947042
No but its highly recommended.
>>
How do I find friends to play monster hunter with
>>
File: 350.jpg (44KB, 350x312px) Image search: [Google]
350.jpg
44KB, 350x312px
>>384946670
Thanks for the detailed post. XX and World are so far in the future though, that is if XX even comes out in the west. Would be nice cause I just bought a Switch...

>>384946943
I can see where you're coming from, and I believe you guys when you say FU is the best. But for me as a beginner I want an easy entry into the series, not start with the most hardcore. If I like it enough I'm gonna come back to FU.

Sooo

as it looks right now I have to decide between 4U and Generations. What are the pros and cons of each? You guys seem to know.

Also this:
>>384947582
>>
>>384947908
There is seriously nothing "hardcore" about FU. It's more difficult in its average and hardest content absolutely, but it's not like it doesn't do anything to work you up to that point.
>>
>>384947908
Generations is a spin-off and hardly an example of the core of monster hunter. They've added a lot of things and made design choices that would never be made in mainline like the style system. It also runs at a capped 30 unlike other entries and has a lowered FOV. It's also a piss-easy snoozefest.
>>
>>384947908
The best MH for new players is definitely 4U. Generations isn't really indicative of the rest of the series because of gameplay changes. Play it after 4U if you want to
>>
>>384948236
The fov isn't any smaller unless you turn on 3d. The hud is fuck-huge though.
>>
>>384948997
>The fov isn't any smaller unless you turn on 3d
You get a larger FOV by turning it on in 3U and 4U.
>>
>>384948997
>The hud is fuck-huge though
why would you have the hud on the top screen?
>>
File: oo.png (50KB, 260x260px) Image search: [Google]
oo.png
50KB, 260x260px
>>384949163
Huh, maybe they're the same if 3d is turned on for Gen. I remember someone posting some pics showing they were the same a while ago, either way.
>>
Don't worry about co-op. Run it solo.
Most of the MH community has been surged with french idiots.
>>
>>384944380
You're a big guy
>>
>>384951135
why solo?
>>
>>384953060
Games are only really challenging solo.

Plus, fi you just straight out go to co-op straight away you'll end up being a shitter.
>>
>>384946612
>Actually I want to start with an easyier game

then go for 3u
4u is the hardest modern mh unless you count p3rd as modern

all the old monsters have new moves designed to fuck over anyone intending to use the old cheap strategies on them
>>
>>384953060
Idiots and faggots. French assholes who can only mount then fuck it up wasting your time.
Underagedb& not knowing how to do shit and will often sit at base camp. Idiots still using clownsuits with no skills at G rank.
At least when you fail solo you know it was a lack of skill or equipment and not some dumb fucker who keeps walking into Teostra novas with Khezu armor.
>>
>>384953678
This. I decided to drop by a HR 4 room doing pink rathian to help. I spawned all the way at the top. They spawned at the bottom room before pink rath and one of them walked out of the pink rath room. I walked all the way there and just stood there and watched as they dicked around doing jackshit. They ended up trying to hit me and basically trying to get me to solo that shit for them. It's not worth messing around with all the cheating scrubs who have custom quest armor and idiots. Better off getting a close group of freeeeends or internet randoms and playing it that way if you don't want to solo.
>>
>>384953060
My recommendation is to balance solo and multiplayer play. You don't have to wait until halfway through the game to start online playing, but make sure that you've killed the monster before in offline play first. Solo play will help you build skill and provide a satisfying difficulty, but online play can be a blast in a more laid-back kind of way and is a much better experience for grinding out rare parts. In my 4U and Gen runs I was alternating between the two constantly.
>>
Avoid generations. Not introducing variants was a huge mistake. It made the low rank to high rank transition shit because there was a huge ai and move difference between low rank regular and high rank variants in 4U. Generations provides little to no actual hunting experience and gives you invicibility mode frames on top of a lot of other easy modo shit. Not only that the armor sets are fuckload ugly most of the time and lack variety. I hope you like rathalos because you'll be hunting this nigger a lot.
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.