[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why did this game fail?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 134
Thread images: 7

File: SuMo.jpg (300KB, 1200x630px) Image search: [Google]
SuMo.jpg
300KB, 1200x630px
Why did this game fail?
>>
>>384900047
>13 million copies

>Great reception and scores

w
e
w
>>
>>384900283
>Great reception
By game "Journalists" maybe
>>
>>384900386
Well, you can say that about every game, Zelda, Horizon, etc
>>
>>384900386
Still, it sold very well so it's not a fail
The game has a shit ton of flaws though
>>
>>384900047
But it didn't. It sold well, and pretty much everybody but contrarians agree it was great. You're sounding an awful lot like that guy who keeps posting that "blunders in gaming" image which only contains Nintendo games and literally zero actual blunders, even forgetting to put No Man's Sky on it.
>>
>>384900386
normies loved the game aswell
literall /vp/ is the only place in the world autistic enough to hate it , and it's just because there's little postgame

something that's gonna be fixed in the sequels
>>
>>384900047
It was both a critical and commercial success
>>
>>384900047
I thought it was an absolutely garbage game but by all accounts it didn't fail. It sold a fuckton, but I think that's got more to do with piggybacking off the success of Pokemon GO than the quality of the game itself. It's going to be funny watching US/UM sell like shit because it won't have that boost and S&M will have turned everyone off because of how shit it was.
>>
>>384900691
>and it's just because there's little postgame
Lots of people also bitch about it focus to much on the story while making the dialogue/cutscenes unskippable. It makes it really tedious to replay the game a second time
>>
>>384901490
Pokemon Ultra Sun and Moon will easily sell over 8 million
>>
>>384901629
yeah well, it already has
>>
>>384901490
it will be another commercial success and you'll again just roll in your filth raging about it while everyone else just laughs

exactly the reason you're posting here rather than /vp/
>>
IT Sold millions more than your typical hype fueled AAA game

Didnt it have like the biggest first week of the series
>>
>>384900047

Wasn't this literally Nintendo's fastest-selling game(s) of all time?

If you're going to shitpost, at least say something believable.
>>
>>384900047
Only in a jaded little cesspit like /v/ could Pokémon ever be considered a "failure".
>>
>>384903195
Commercially it was a success

Personally, it failed me on the gameplay to realize that HGSS was the last great pokemon game, B2W2 was the swan song
>>
>>384900047
60% Kanto Pokémon, 40% other Pokémon
>>
I really cannot stand how hand holdy and linear the game feels. It takes like 30 minutes to get your fucking starter if youre not skipping everything and even then it borders on 15 minutes because of cutscenes.
>>
>>384901587
No one cares
>>
>>384903375
>Personally, it failed me

Then stop getting more jaded as your grow-up, that's the issue.

I work with kids on a regular basis and Sun and Moon were just as big and loved among them as Red , Blue, Gold, and Silver were in my time.
>>
>>384903876
Also loading times for pretty much everything in the game makes it more painful than it should be.

For example 5 seconds to open something and over 10 seconds to get into a fight. In 30 hours of play time I've spent about 2 of them in loading screens
>>
>>384900047

It didn't fail, but looking back, it's proof this series has peaked.

>Takes fifteen minutes to pick your starter
>Gives you obnoxiously helpful sidekick in the form of Hau who has to accompany you everywhere to vocalize reactions and story developments
>Your actual "rival" (Gladion) is fought like three times and makes such sparse contributions to the story you wonder why the game even advertised him
>Heavy leaning on older generations for content, new Pokemon are scarce or gimmicky
>Game still completely derails before the last "gym" to make room for the box legendary plot
>Exactly two new things to do post-game (Battle tree and UB quest)
>Still refuse to give anyone but the champion and some post game battles a full team of six, and even then only Kukui has a full team in the champion title defense
>Arbitrary/ineffective nerfs to Pokemon that, in some cases, don't really deserve it

The story wasn't that bad, to be honest, but save this shit for a Colosseum-esque RPG. Cut out the story fluff and give us a battle frontier or some shit. The entire appeal of mainline Pokemon games is team building and battling. The story will inevitably be lackluster and post-game content is constantly suffering.
>>
>>384904787
>save this shit for a colosseum-esque rpg

Holy shit this is exactly how the game feels. A linear, story heavy Colloseum-esque game.
>>
>>384904016
i have issues for being bored with having to consume the same thing for the longest time and gets easier and easier?

What really intrigued me about SM were the totem pokemon battles, thats what boss battles in the game should but its too little too late
>>
>>384900047
you have to be retarded to assume they didnt sell well, but the game's a piece of shit.

Linier to an extreme, poor level design, poor atmosphere, the entire plot revolves around investing in an extremely unlikable character. The game plays out like a dime a dozen anime instead of pokemon. Lillie is an intolerallbly dominant force in the game's story, yet doesn't ever really grow as a character and primarily sits there with a dumb :^) 90% of the game. She's dull and problematic from a narrative standpoint, and the fact that more prople don't recognize her as a major problem is disheartening.

XY and SuMo have the problem of forcing the player into a follower position. In all previous titles, you had a choice or an illusion of choice. you were in charge of your adventure. new titles you just follow your adventure party
>>
>>384905147
>having to
???
>>
>>384901587
Frankly it was pretty tedious to play the first time as well. Never got around to finishing it and I only had 1 gen 7 pokemon besides. Seems like kind of a waste of a pokemon gen, wouldn't even say it's really a step up from 6 at all, and 6 was the worst.
>>
>>384905147
No mainline Pokemon game has ever been hard. Anything challenging exists in postgame. Same with Sun/Moon.
>>
>>384904787
Then why the hell are those Legendary Dogs got their hidden abilities nerfed but not released yet in the past??
>>
>>384905573
Yeah but SnM are arguably the easiest mainline and the game drags on forever to boot.
>>
>>384905573

BW2 challenge mode was pretty difficult. Not very, but just enough.
>>
we can all agree that most of the new pokemon are great right?
>>
>>384900675
>and pretty much everybody but contrarians agree it was great
>Anyone who disagrees is on the opposite extreme end of the spectrum
lolno

Wasn't terrible but also wasn't great. Took the series in a bad direction, Pokemon doesn't need more story and exposition, it needs less. It needs to focus on the gameplay, walking around the region and catching and battling monsters, not completely forgettable characters spouting endless, inane dialogue and placing story-related roadblocks in front of the player before virtually every new area or route.

>>384901490
>piggybacking off the success of Pokemon GO
XY sold more copies than SM has so far and ORAS sold at least 10-12 million. SM selling as well as it did was not unexpected and it didn't need Go to be popular, it was already popular and the other 3DS games sold incredibly well too.
>>
>>384906132
>Pokemon doesn't need more story and exposition, it needs less. It needs to focus on the gameplay, walking around the region and catching and battling monsters, not completely forgettable characters spouting endless, inane dialogue and placing story-related roadblocks in front of the player before virtually every new area or route.
My thoughts exactly.
>>
>>384905831
I'd argue that Sun and Moon are harder than any mainline Pokemon game since Gold and Silver. With the exception of the challenge mode in BW2. I actually lost to some leaders and elite four members, which is more than I can say about Ruby, Sapphire, Emerald, Diamond, Pearl, Platinum, Black, White, X, Y.
>>
>13 million copies
>fail

Why would Nintendo care what shitposters on 4chan think about S/M when they're printing money because of them? I don't like S/M that much, but I'm not trying to spread blatant fake news that they failed.
>>
>>384900691
>literall /vp/ is the only place in the world autistic enough to hate it , and it's just because there's little postgame
Not true. the main game gets dumped on too because of it's extreme linearity. Might as well just watch a walktrhough on YT.
>>
>>384905831
The Elite Four + Boss are very hard compared to other Pokemon games
>>
>>384905108

I played ecks dee and I felt they were trying to imitate it. But ecks dee, lol XD, lol, at least kept a consistent focus on trainer battles, and the town-only world was very convenient and appropriate considering the flow of it. My problem with Sun is that they have the classic Pokemon world presentation, but you can hardly go 15 minutes without finishing up all one piece of the field has exhausted its gameplay.

I think there's only one thing that could have fixed SuMo (lol, pronounced SuhMoo, lol bad meme) and that's even more actually competent trainers consistently laid around the field, instead of popping up every 2 hours. The way you get suddenly decent trial captain battles out of nowhere is mildly infuriating.
>>
>>384905831
HGSS and XY exist though. SM is in no way the easiest game.
>>
is ORAS any good?
>>
>>384906802
The same applies to BW too, you know. But 4chan only parrots the most recent game.

>b-b-but it's worse
It happened for a second thing too. People keep repeating the Vikavolt slow meme as if it's funny, completely forgetting we got a "fast bug that's actually slow" that's even slower 2 gens ago.
>>
>>384901587
It's tedious the first time around.

I quit the game twice before finishing last week.
>>
>>384900047
>I didn't like it so it must be a huge failure
>>
>>384907128
>and that's even more actually competent trainers consistently laid around the field
...you mean like the Route Watchers?
>>
>>384905562
>>384907635
ADHD?
>>
>>384906021
Not Primashitna.
>>
>>384900691
>something that's gonna be fixed in the sequels

why is this acceptable?
>>
But it didn't, it's the best games since Platinum.
>>
>>384907779
Seriously, you just smash A, I don't know how this could be a big deal for anyone unless they had ADHD.
>>
When you guys say "no post-game" you really mean "no battle frontier", right?
>>
>>384906484
You know what. You're not wrong, but that's mostly because there is no national dex and bank wasn't unlocked yet.

If you play without exp share then yes it's tough to fight the captains and kahunas.

>>384907551
I like the way they remade the game, it looks great graphically, too bad you need to play both to experience the entire content.
>>
>>384907779
pokemon SM is not AdHd, no one should go through 100 prompts for 30 minutes straight

Whats bad about it is you get cutscenes for some of the most inane things

>walk two strp
>cutscene
>Hau: i took a shit
>Lillie: i took a shit as well
>Nebby: pew pew
>>
The soundtrack was pretty weak IMO
The tune that plays in the first city is pretty comfy though.
I think it was still too early to make the transition to a full 3D camera on the 3DS. Alola feels small in comparison to previous regions. I have high hopes for the new Switch game.
>>
>>384908081
The post game main quest with Looker is genuinely some of the worst post game content ever produced. The writing left me shaking my head. Looker and Nanu are horrible human beings and just use Annabelle for their own purpose.
>>
100% of the people crying about this game pirated it.
>>
>>384908212
That happens pretty much only at the beginning of the first and fourth islands though.
>>
>>384907553
Blackwhite actually limits its cutscenes, doesn't really handhold, and has a super good pokemon veriety. None of the friend npcs were intolerable because they fucked off and had complete arcs. It's strengths outweigh the liniarity. SuMo has far far more flaws, both in story and gameplay.

Bianca sees more development in her 5 minutes in the spotlight than Lillie does during the entire game in sun or moon.
>>
>>384908081
Probably. Half the last island is unlocked post game, along with UB quest and exclusive battles.

>>384908392
What did he mean by this?
>>
File: IMG_0626.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0626.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>384908396
>>
I liked Sun and Moon, but once again GF lazily cuts back content to include in the "definitive" version and replaces features that players were fond of.

Oddly, it didn't really feel that way with Emerald or Platinum, but in SM it's more apparent than ever.
>>
>>384908603
>can only respond with meme posts

sorry for your autism.
>>
>>384908767
What am I supposed to be seeing here?
>>
>>384908396
I bought sun at midnight release
>>
>>384907783
all gen7 sarters are great dude. no need to make a war.
>>
>>384908456
>Blackwhite actually limits its cutscenes
It really doesn't. There's multiple ones every 10 minutes in every city because they have to repeat to you everything that happens 10 more times.

>doesn't really handhold
In your dreams maybe. It and 2 are also the only game with constant healers on every important route.

>and has a super good pokemon veriety
Only because they're all new. And that remains exclusive only when talking about catching. "Gumshoos and Pelipper everywhere" as wild mons is changed to "every trainer has Herdier line, elemental monkeys or Pidove line".

>None of the friend npcs were intolerable because they fucked off and had complete arcs
Yeeah, no. They keep pestering you until you get out of Victory Road and they only fuck off permanently after that event. Not to mention that the region is a goddamn circle.

>>384909178
>Frontier is introduced
>take it away in the next game and give trainers retarded shitty teams
>reintroduce Frontier and give trainers good teams
Yeah Platinum sure didn't make one notice.
>>
Is there a good enough emulator for pc yet?
>>
>>384909182
It's a simple question.
>>
>>384909359
>the region is a goddamn circle.

How does that take away anything from the game?

Do geometrical shapes trigger your autism?
>>
>>384904787
This sounds pretty similar to Gen 3.
>>
>>384909359
>It really doesn't. There's multiple ones every 10 minutes in every city because they have to repeat to you everything that happens 10 more times.
Core gameplay remains uninteruped, cuscenes are in-engine and are on average shorter than SuMo. I didn't notice many cutscenes or the impact of them in bw, but they were intolerably bad in sumo.
>In your dreams maybe. It and 2 are also the only game with constant healers on every important route.
Pokemon tuning and trainer rosters make this okay.
>Only because they're all new. And that remains exclusive only when talking about catching. "Gumshoos and Pelipper everywhere" as wild mons is changed to "every trainer has Herdier line, elemental monkeys or Pidove line".
Not what I was getting at. BW had the least shitmon out of any pokemon game because it uses exclusively pokemon using the same balance design. There are no garbage pokemon, if you want something, you can use it. You don't have to worry about the pokemon being just not good, which is a genuine concern for just about every other title in the series. Many g1-3 pokemon havent been modernized and have abnormally low stat allowances and incohesive movesets. BW, specifically because it only uses new pokemon, doesn't have that problem.
>Yeeah, no. They keep pestering you until you get out of Victory Road and they only fuck off permanently after that event. Not to mention that the region is a goddamn circle.
And yet they remain less invasive and annoing than Hau and Lillie. I was still waiting for an option to perma kick both of them from my adventure up until the second I dropped the game.
>>
>>384908603
Well time to rewind then:

>Looker and Nanu are on a mission to actually kill an Ultra-Beast
>Looker felt sorry for it and get one of their members killed by accident
>Looker and Nanu discover Annabelle on the beach
>They find out she has Ultra energy built up within her
>The International Police take this opportunity to recruit her in their ranks and use her as bait for finding Ultra Beasts
>She is made unaware of this throughout her career, despite suffering Ultra-beast encounters since they all flock to her
>Looker and Nanu discuss this in private but selfishly decide it's better that way since she outranks them and chose the mission herself, deflecting blame away
>Annabelle will thus never return home to Hoenn since two useless pieces of shit refuse to tell this secret to their superior
>>
File: golisopod clear.png (164KB, 398x398px) Image search: [Google]
golisopod clear.png
164KB, 398x398px
>>384900047
It didn't reception and sales wise.
I liked it a lot though. Was interesting to see a narratively focused title, although the limitations on size prevented them from creating a proper one. Ironically enough, despite /v/ complaining about the cutscenes, it needed more to create a cohesive, proper narrative rather than the ok but ultimately incomplete one we got, plus maybe a skip button for people without attention spans. As long as they keep it to this gen, I'm fine with them having a story focused gen, it was a refreshing change from the somewhat stale classic Pokemon formula.
Aside from that
>regional design
Pretty but lacking in substance. Too small but gets the job done.
>Music
9/10. Excellent and fits the scenes/areas well except the fucking ride Pokemon theme.
>Pokemon Design
Some of the best and most creative ones in years, plus a resurgence of the Bug type after being somewhat ignored in the previous gen. Shame there's so few though, GF really doesn't want to hit that 1000 Pokemon milestone.
>Online
Meh. No one likes Festival Plaza. I don't mind it but they really needed to make it more like the original Join Avenue and separate online from it. As it is it's less like something you care for and develop and more like a daily.
>Trainer/menu features
Generic but good interface, Rotomdex is take it or leave it but it works about as well as the gen 5 menu. Full size trainer models is excellent for the custom options (although they are somewhat less varied, but at least not on poorly modeled chibis). Ride Pokemon is excellent save for the music, HM slaves suck. Pelago is nice.
>stat features
Bottle cap IV fixers are long overdue but lack of powerleveling method makes it tedious. Built in IV checker also long overdue, but very welcome as a change. EV training is so easy now you don't even have to play it to do so, making this the most friendly towards new players entering online/competitive battles so far, although move tutors are sorely needed.
>>
>>384910870
What did Annabelle do to deserve this bullying
>>
>>384910870
Chalk that up to Nanu being a cynical dick and Looker not quite recovering from the brain damage he apparently suffered between B2W2 and XY.
>>
>>384900691
>normies loved the game aswell

Not like you think they do. Plenty of normies on Reddit complained about the game.

>>384900691
>and it's just because there's little postgame

This game has plenty of issues besides the postgame.
>>
>>384911385
You forget that majority of the new Pokemon are competitively unusable since they have negative speed or lack in other areas. Pretty much only the legendaries and ultra beasts are viable. Good job Gamefreak. You're really good at this.
>>
File: 12412412342.gif (519KB, 213x199px) Image search: [Google]
12412412342.gif
519KB, 213x199px
>>384900047
>Pokemon game
>Failing

Excuse me?
>>
>>384904016
>I work with kids

There's your problem nigger. Kids are easily satisfied.
>>
>>384909668

Gen 3 was different.

Imagine if Gen 3 had your rival follow you around like a lost dog and lectured Archie/Maxie on the power of friendship for you. The teams in Gen 3 were placed such that they were blocking the way you had to go to reach your destination anyway. Gen VII makes you backtrack to areas you've already been to move the plot along
>>
>>384900047
It failed?
>>
>>384911871
I rated them based on the designs anon.
As far as competitive viability goes, it's about the same percentage of usable Pokemon as previous gens.
You have some VGC shiners that are shit in singles, like Araquanid. You have your obligatory superpowered sublegends like Ultra Beasts. The only thing that's different is how shitty the pseudo legend is. Just fucked that thing is. Sky uppercut only? Really?
>>
>>384900047
It didn't, sadly, despite being the third worst entries in the series after DP and BW.
>>
Sun and Moon lets you train your pokemons for experience or EVs while you are away, it has a built-in IV checker and many others QoL changes.
Also the game difficulty pre-bank was the highest I ever witnessed in a pokemon game, most trainers were actually competent, E4 has finally some dignity.
I still remember tons of thread whining about Totem Lurantis and Mimikyu, I almost got wiped from Lurantis.
The games are far from perfect and they would benefit from a lighter story, but they are far from being a failure.
That were BW.
>>
>>384908603
>Half the last island is unlocked post game,
Too bad there's almost literally nothing there. Oh wow an empty field and a shitty mini-dungeon. >along with UB quest
Somehow more phoned-in than ORAS's legendaries and the token plot they slapped in doesn't excuse the fact that UBs were basically quarantined there after being hyped up early on.
>and exclusive battles.
With who, the Battle Tree fuckers? Because that was a pretty pitiful collection of shitters compared to what it was advertised as, and even the battle with Red/Blue upon entering it was pussy-tier difficulty.
>>
>>384900047
I didn't bother playing SM or ORAS. Mega evolutions ruined X/Y for me and I probably won't touch another Pokémon game unless that goes away.
I needed a break from Pokémon regardless; I played every release since Crystal
>>
>>384909359
>Not to mention that the region is a goddamn circle.

Why does that matter when the exploration is far better than what's to be offered in Sun & Moon?

>>384910073
>it uses exclusively pokemon using the same balance design.

Someone explain this further. I'm a bit confused.
>>
File: 250px-Emerald_EN_boxart.jpg (30KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
250px-Emerald_EN_boxart.jpg
30KB, 250x250px
>>384907856
Because that's how GameFreak is.

>make the first entries barebones as fuck
>release an expansion pack with actual post-game content a couple years later
>>
>>384913061
Mega Evos are quarantined to post game and battle facilities only in SM. Probably best to just play other stuff though, Pokemon is really samey so much of the time that it needs a break for most people.
>>
>>384913263
Ruby and Sapphire did have post-game content. Emerald just had more.
>>
>>384913470
>Ruby and Sapphire did have post-game content
Yeah, the battle tower and...
>>
>>384913529
How could you forget the Lati twins and.....I guess there really is nothing more.
>>
>>384913263
Diamond and Pearl had a good amount of post-game content, as did Gold and Silver if you count post-game as after beating Lance. Black and White had a decent amount as well.

>>384913470
S.S Tidal
Latios/Latias roaming
Latias/Latios on Southern Island
Rayquaza in the Sky Pillar
Battle Tower

Really only more than Red and Green which had finding Mewtwo in Cerulean Cave.
>>
>Too bad there's almost literally nothing there. Oh wow an empty field and a shitty mini-dungeon.
And the battle tree

>Somehow more phoned-in than ORAS's legendaries
How?
>and the token plot they slapped in doesn't excuse the fact that UBs were basically quarantined there after being hyped up early on.

What's wrong with that? You wanted postgame content.

>Because that was a pretty pitiful collection of shitters compared to what it was advertised as, and even the battle with Red/Blue upon entering it was pussy-tier difficulty.

Not true at all, especially not Red's mega Blastoise
>>
>>384913873
>Diamond and Pearl had a good amount of post-game content
Like battle tower and... catching a couple of legendaries.
>>
>>384913132
>Someone explain this further. I'm a bit confused.
Pokemon have the same stat budget, allowing almost all g5 pokemon to be usable in single player. In g1 and 2, pokemon have horrendiously bad stats. in 3, some still have shit stats, but the ones that dont are balanced around an attack system that was removed in g4. Attacks were determined to be physical or special based on the type the attack is, so Dark types for example needed to have high special attack. In g4, they seperated the physical/special attacks from the attack type, but the base stats of many pokemon havent reflected the change. You have pokemon like Houndoom and Sceptile who have abnormally large special attack stats with meh attack, even though most of their movepools are physical, because Dark, Fire, Grass, and a few others in g3 and earlier used special attack as their modifier.

For refrence, many g1 fully evolved pokemon have a total stat alocation of 385. A legendary pokemon has between 540 and 600. A passibly strong pokemon has a good spread of above 500.

BW gives most fully evolved pokemon a ~500 and a cohesive theme to each kit.
>>
>>384913965
DP had an island with at least 3 routes iirc post-game. Still more then rse and rby.
Granted, no pokemon game ever will have again the amount of post game in gen II.
>>
>>384900047
It was the worst Pokemon game of all time. I actually regretted paying hard earned money for this game. In all honesty, it made me soft drop the series as a whole. Haven't played competitive since the game dropped, Pokemon is dead
>>
>>384914149
lol, what? HG/SS is the king of post-game
>>
About what I expected for a first in gen duo.
Good for what it is. Waiting for USUM now, higher expectations though.
>>
>>384914149
Wasn't the new island only in Platinum?
>>
>>384900283
>13
isn't it nearing 16 millions?
>>
>>384900047
It's alright until the game ends, then there's nothing to do.
>>
>>384914275
>HGSS
>post game
>not BW2
>>
>>384907783
That's the best one though
>>
>>384913965
Latter half of Victory Road with Marley
Route 224
Pal Park
Snowpoint Temple with Regigigas
Fullmoon Island that makes Cresselia roam
Spring Path, Sendoff Spring, and Turnback Cave with Giratina
Newmoon Island event with Darkrai
Seabreak Path and Flower Paradise event with Shaymin
Hall of Origin event with Arceus

Battle Zone
-Battle Park with the Battle Tower
-Fight Area
-Survival Area
-Resort Area
-Route 225
-Route 226
-Route 227
-Route 228
-Route 229
-Route 230
-Stark Mountain with Heatran and the Galactic subplot

And the amount of Pokémon you can encounter basically triples with the National Pokédex, Poké Radar, Dual Slot mode, and outbreaks.
>>
>>384900047
Because when you beat the Champion is the first time the tutorial section ends
>>
>ctrl+F post-
Postgame is such an overrated concept, and postgamefags always just bitch about not being able to fight the game's poor AI with silly gimmicks and RNG.

That said, SM was flawed in that everything is railroaded, you could never go anywhere that doesn't relate to the plot. In other games, there's still some roadblocks (like Crasher Wake not being at the gym in Platinum so you beat Maylene first) but you're allowed to explore Pastoria and take the routes that lead back to Hearthome before taking her on. You're not allowed to explore at all in SM until the whole game's done.
>>
>>384914860
That's not a lot.
>>
>>384914860
>including events, including the unreleased one
>>
>>384915137
On the contrary, it's more than any other Pokémon game that starts a generation barring perhaps Gold and Silver, and the caveat to that is that Gold and Silver's main storyline is significantly shorter than the other Pokémon games.
https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Appendix:Gold_and_Silver_walkthrough
https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Appendix:Ruby_and_Sapphire_walkthrough
https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Appendix:Diamond_and_Pearl_walkthrough
https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Appendix:Black_and_White_walkthrough
https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Appendix:X_and_Y_walkthrough

And Red and Green had Mewtwo at Cerulean Cave.
>>384915415
I included the Eon Ticket event for Ruby and Sapphire didn't I? I never got it myself since I never had an e-Reader or knew someone that did.
>>
>>384900047
It didn't, but that doesn't change the fact that it was terrible.
>>
>>384915637
Nah I wasn't who you were arguing with I just don't think events, particularly content that was never released, should count for postgame content.
>>
>>384915897
I would count event content towards any game's post-game content (assuming it could only be done post-game). I'd only make exceptions if it's something like Volcanion or another mythical that's only obtained through distributions and has basically zero effect in-game. Arceus had its own battle theme, the Azure Flute, Hall of Origin, and was the strongest legitimate wild Pokémon ever seen at the time. It's worth including to me, even if it's event-only content.
>>
I like that they were willing to try new things and change the formula that got stale by gen 3. My hope is that they've heard the criticisms of linearity and USM is more open. Also Alola is topmost comfy region.
>>
>>384916630
It's not just event only though, it's inaccessible even through legit methods. It's the same as including cut content as part of the postgame.
>>
>>384914380
And growing.
>>
>>384916792
It's only been a year, so I highly doubt it.
>>
>>384900047
It didn't. Next.
>>
File: 1500229038797.jpg (170KB, 826x1176px) Image search: [Google]
1500229038797.jpg
170KB, 826x1176px
Fail this!
>>
>>384917453
BEST GIRL!!
>>
>>384900047
It didn't. Only Pokebarneyfag and a vocal minority fishing for (You)s think it did. Said vocal minority will desperately try to disprove this post but won't be able to.
>>
>>384917516
What causes someone like Pokebarneyfag to exist? What trauma creates such a fiend
>>
>>384916937
It was only on par with cut content retroactively. The difference with cut content is that it was planned to be permanently unused content at a point prior to and up through the game's release, while events were considered temporarily unused content that would become usable sometime in the future. While the Azure Flute event would go permanently unused in the Sinnoh games, it's clear that it was they were considered temporarily unused up until somewhere in 2009 when Arceus was officially revealed. The Sinjoh Ruins event in HGSS can be activated twice, using a Hall of Origin Arceus and a Fateful encounter Arceus, and the second event activation does play out differently to the first, meaning that at some point in HGSS' development, the Azure Flute event was still on the table. Because of this, I consider it different to cut content, and it should be considered unutilized content.
>>
>>384918005
Then it still isn't postgame content if it's unutilized and unplayable for the player, no matter how much forethought and connectivity it has to other games. Why not just include stuff that people can actually play if you're tallying up postgame content?
>>
>>384900047
To me it's mainly two reasons:
It's too easy, even for a kids game
and
the fucking framerates in fights with more than 3 Pokemon (and trainers) on screen.

I mean, yeah, sure, it's supposed to be easy for the bunch of normies who came from GO into pokemon, but showing what attack is effective and which not? Jesus, lord. Now I don't even have to think anymore.

And I will never get the Idea behind "let's put trainers into the fights, it'll look more like an actual fight when they stand around and do nothing"
>>
>>384911385
My nigga
>>
The only good things from Sun Moon were Golisopod and Acerola
>>
>>384919771
breed them and create perfection
>>
>>384918350
I count the Old Sea Map/Faraway Island event with Mew for Emerald or the GS Ball event in Crystal even though they were never officially released in English, though I'm not sure if either is post-game only. As for content that was at one time planned to be utilized but ultimately wasn't, there's
>Regirock/Regice/Registeel dolls in RS outside Japan or Emerald
>Matchup Checker Pokétch app in DP outside Japan
>Stopwatch Pokétch app in DPPt
>Alarm Clock Pokétch app DPPt
>Member Card in DP
>Oak's Letter in DP
>Azure Flute in DPPt
>Lock Capsule in HGSS to BW

Of course there's content that serves no function whatsoever like the Magma Stone or Red Chain in Gen IV , so I don't count that if it doesn't serve a function.
>>
>>384919771
That's not how you spell Mimikyu.
>>
Pokemon is shovelware garbage
>>
>>384920154
Alright if you want to count unused content that's a personal thing for you I guess, but playability or even accessibility is the absolute minimum requirement for me.
Also the Regi dolls could technically be accessed by mixing records.
Thread posts: 134
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.