[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it the best Castlevania?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 4

File: iii.jpg (63KB, 513x402px) Image search: [Google]
iii.jpg
63KB, 513x402px
Is it the best Castlevania?
>>
Classic style? He'll the fuck no, super castlevania 4 holds that title.
>>
>>384895830
Castlevania 4 is too fucking easy to the point the game is neutered.

Rondo of blood gives the best balance of alternative routes, proper challenge, and multiple playable characters
>>
>four characters
>branching paths
>fantastic music (especially with vrc6 chip)
>retains castlevania 1 feel
>bonus points: netflix show
Game was pretty good.
>>
>>384895910
Rondo of Blood is just a bit harder than 4. 4's last levels are harder I'd day. Maria is fucking broken unlike 3's characters and the alternate routes aren't as meaningful in terms of gameplay.
>>
>>384895910
This. 3 is a close 2nd but dracula x rondo is better, then 2. Cv4 is for casuals and I hate simons walking stance 1 is superior to 4. Fucking fight me.
>>
>>384896627
>Tossing maria just because
>Playing with anything besides a belmont
Fucking heretic
>>
>>384896636
I meant 3 not 2.

2 isnt even in the discussion it only had good music and a save code system.
>>
>>384896636
Agree, Rondo > Chronicles > 3
>>
>>384896738
Point is that if you're gonna include additional characters, give them strenghts and weaknesses like 3 did instead of just throwing in some ridiculous broken loli and calling it a day. Using 3's characters effectively requires some thought.
>>
File: CV3_Guide_Grant.jpg (12KB, 250x282px) Image search: [Google]
CV3_Guide_Grant.jpg
12KB, 250x282px
>>384896627
>Maria is fucking broken unlike 3's characters
>>
>>384896738
Maria is freaking amazing, but she needs a game designed to fit her moveset. I love to play as Maria, she feels so smooth.
>>
>>384899476
he can't hit a single thing if you are playing the american version
Hell, Sypha is way more broken than him
>>
why do people complain about 4's difficulty all day long but don't constantly rail on SOTN for the same reason?
>>
>>384899851
People here rail on SOTN in every thread for that reason
>>
>>384895910
>Rondo of Blood
>challenging

You're kidding right? Bloodlines is the best of the 16 bit era by all the points you just mentioned.
>>
>>384899851
because if you're a classicvania patrician it's already understood without being stated that you don't like metroidvania trash.
>>
>>384899851
I dunno what you're talking about anon. Both happen pretty often.
>>
>>384899953
>>384900036
>>384900232
yeah, when people acknowledge that SOTN is easy they usually say that it's still their favorite because of the music, gameplay and everything else

but rarely do I see people do the same with 4
>>
>>384900971
That's because there's hardly anyone who's favorite Platformer Castlevania was 4. So people are far more critical of it. Compered to say 1 or 3 Rondo or Bloodlines. All of which have people who love those games more.
>>
>>384900008
Bloodlines is damn good. But its limited continues are bullshit and certain gimmicks like the anti-grav platforming are shit.

Rondo is challenging when doing a richter only run. Maria breaks the game
>>
>>384900971
That's because metroidvania games are easy by default because of their core design. Platformers are a different story.
Personally, my favorite Metroidvania is Aria of Sorrow, I don't know how people can prefer SotN (with its tedious amount of backtracking, how slow the game is, certain segments like that long hallway full of plants that can petrify you etc) over it.
>>
>>384900971
Metroidvanias should be easier to make exploring more relaxing. I don't like them nearly as much as Classicvanias but they're just made with different goals in mind.
>>
Why do people shit on dracula x? It has actual challenge and better graphics. All Rondo has going for it is more alternate paths. Also while im doing unpopular opinions the US music for 3 is better than the jap
>>
So did you anon ever played the fan game ?

Soul of Dracula and Lecard Chronicle 1 are pretty good clasicvania I think.

Same thing with LC2, it's a good metroidvania.
>>
>>384901509
Even when playing as Richter the only challenge is Shaft's ghost. Even IV has more difficulty than that by the final levels thanks partially to Slogra. Rondo is still a great game though and it's among my favorites in the series but I just can't call it difficult.

>>384901789
Dracula X is good but the level design is a bit too bland sometimes. Plus the music isn't as good.
>>
>>384901789
Dracula x has archaic level design to the point that challenge gets replaced by cheapness, and there's no maria to come in and save you.
>Spear guards
it's not the worst, but when you compare top to bottom to rondo, there's no comparison.
>>
>>384895659
objectively yes subjectively its dracula x.
>>
>>384902032
I agree slogra is the hardest boss in C4, feels like one of the only well designed boss fights with Simons full control in mind- all the other bosses go down so easily when simons 8 directional whipping comes into play.

I find the level design of RoB more challenging but more rewarding to figure out
>>
>>384901789
>actual challenge
>Dracula fight is flat out get and you die
>Levels look bland
>cheap enemy placement
Naw.
>>
>Metroidvania

It is more correct to use Castleroid than Metroidvania. A Metroidvania is insinuating a Metroid game that plays like Castlevania when it is in fact the other way around.
>>
File: 1483982390920.gif (211KB, 154x122px) Image search: [Google]
1483982390920.gif
211KB, 154x122px
>>384901920
>Lecarde Chronicles 2
>That fucking Statue
>>
is Rondo of Blood (not the X version) on Wii playable if I'm not Japanese?
as far as I know the audio and dialogue for cutscenes is either German/Japanese, but is everything else English?

I've seen screenshots where it says score, credit and rest in English, that's all
>>
>>384902032
I completely disagree, Shaft 2 is the second easiest boss in Rondo in my opinion. You can juggle Shaft 2 with your whip, preventing him from ever getting an attack off, and even then all his summons are pretty easy to dodge. Werewolf was a lot harder than Shaft 2 with is low wind-up time and fast movement.
>>
>>384900008
I think you meant the X68000 game.
But anything is better than SC IV, really.
>>
>>384903363
I said by all the points that anon mentioned. X68000 definitely had challenge and good level design but it lacked alternate paths and bonus characters unless I completely missed them. Might be a good excuse to revisit the game if I did.

>>384902506
I keep messing up the timing for that cheese strat. It's hilarious watching someone pull off but I could never manage to keep it going the whole fight.
>>
Of the classic style, Bloodlines and Rondo of Blood are the best.

For some reason, some people pretend Super Castlevania is good. I'm not sure what is wrong with those people
>>
>>384904197
IV might not be as good as the other games but it's still a fantastic game in its own right. It's got great music, great visuals, fun level design, and great gameplay just like most other Classicvanias. Its only real flaws are being too easy and the multidirectional whipping is usually preferable to using subweapons that aren't the cross for most of the game but it's still a quality game and always nice to replay from time to time.
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.