[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do more open world 2D games like this exist?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 7

File: lightworld_large.gif (2MB, 2048x2041px) Image search: [Google]
lightworld_large.gif
2MB, 2048x2041px
Do more open world 2D games like this exist?
>>
>>384859539
yes but im not gonna tell
>>
>>384859539
Any of the mobile Zelda games.
>>
>>384859682
You mean portable.
>>
File: Kanto.png (463KB, 4480x4320px) Image search: [Google]
Kanto.png
463KB, 4480x4320px
>>384859539
There should be more cohesive 2D RPG worlds without an over world.

>inb4 FFX
That's not 2D
>>
it's a stretch to call LttP open world since it's incredibly linear.
>>
>>384859539
Emulate Link's Awakening and Oracle of Ages/Seasons, they're all fantastic
>>
>>384859792
You're right. I do.
>>
>>384859847
I would still say it's open world. You can get the heart containers in any order you like and there is a lot of optional stuff and secrets. It doesn't need a quest log or multiple endings to be open world.
>>
File: 1376606734643.jpg (27KB, 571x460px) Image search: [Google]
1376606734643.jpg
27KB, 571x460px
>>384859539
I don't know why people jizz over this map so hard, is not bad but is not mindblowing either
>>
>>384860156
it was impressive at the time
>>384860151
>You can get the heart containers in any order you like
that's not really true, though - the vast majority of the world map cannot be accessed at all until you've progressed through a certain area/dungeon. This is true for the majority of the game.
>>
>>384860156
Probably just a well known game that has a good map screen
>>
>>384860151
it's about as open-world as a metroid game
>>
>>384860156
lots of secrets and the dark world gimmick is good
>>
>>384860151
Did you like not go to the dark world at all?
>>
>>384859539
Not open world. That's like calling Metroid Prime or Castlevania open world.
Big map=/= open world.
>>
>>384859806
FFX isn't open world anyway so it doesn't apply to the thread.
>>
File: 1384967312240.gif (3MB, 255x191px) Image search: [Google]
1384967312240.gif
3MB, 255x191px
>>384860151
>You can get the heart containers in any order you like

Nuh uh
>>
>>384860262
If you don't have the necessary gloves, swim skills or other items to advance in the map and go to new places then that is your own problem. You could still potentially go there, it just happens that you play as a nobody. It doesn't mean the game isn't open world.

You couldn't IRL just walk into the white house and demand a meeting with Trump. You could POTENTIALLY do that, but you are a nobody so it is impossible for you. This doesn't mean our world isn't open world.

What matters is what you can do in the end of the game just 1 minute before the final fight. And in the end you can go anywhere you want, even to the first dungeon. Not like for example Silent Hill where you are literally stuck in a tiny room and can't go back to the town or anywhere else.
>>
>>384860156
>I don't know why people jizz over this map so hard

I don't either. I find that LttP is one of the least interesting Zeldas to explore overall.
>>
>>384861160
>If you don't have the necessary gloves, swim skills or other items to advance in the map
obtaining these things requires you to essentially beat large portions of the game (linearly), which means it's not an open world game due to this linear progression.
>You could still potentially go there, it just happens that you play as a nobody.
I have no idea what this statement is supposed to mean, there's a lot of areas you can't reach at all without obtaining a specific dungeon item first, regardless of how far into the game you'd have to go to obtain it. It takes half the game to reach the Dark World for crying out loud.
>And in the end you can go anywhere you want, even to the first dungeon.
so is fucking SMB3 open world because you can go into any level once you've beaten the game?
>>
>>384861160
>lol the game is open world because in the last breaths before the end of the game you have the means to open the world up to you

Also
>making a real life analogy
>>
>>384861413
>so is fucking SMB3 open world because you can go into any level once you've beaten the game?
Weak strawman

ATTPs world is connected organically. Not through a world map. You can travel through the entire world and experience only minimal loading times. You don't have a time limit, you don't have to walk right to reach the goal like in Mario.
>>
>>384859539
Does Secret of Mana count?
>>
>>384861832
>changing the goal post
>>
>>384859847
>it's a stretch to call LttP open world since it's incredibly linear.

Most games have restrictions on where you can go so that you don't miss important things or story elements or fight enemies you're not ready for.

The only games that meet your definition are going to be shit like Mount & Blade where it's a world simulator and you happen to be in it
>>
>>384859847
This is the amount of the map available to you as soon as you exit the sanctuary, from here you can get around 20ish major items, with the rest of the map opening up as you get the power glove and the flippers. For a SNES game and even for a Zelda game this is remarkably open world, people saying stuff like LA don't realize how cramped and restricted those maps are.
>>
>>384862065
>where it's a world simulator

That's kinda what open world is, you fucking retard.
>>
File: analysis_09_predungeons.png (2MB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
analysis_09_predungeons.png
2MB, 1024x1024px
>>384862149
Forgot pic.
>>
2D Zelda clones?

Alundra
Beyond Oasis
Legend of Oasis
Landstalker
Crusader of Centy
Shining Wisdom
Golden Axe Warrior
Ys series
Mana series
Neutopia series
Hydlide series
Soul Blazer/Illusion of Gaia/Terranigma series
3D Dot Game Heroes (plays like 2D Zelda, except it's 3D)
>>
>>384859539
I used to think this was huge when it first came out but it's so small looking back.
>>
>>384859539
Both Shadowrun games on Genesis/SNES
>>
>>384859539
look up "graal"
>>
>>384859682
>>384859934
But every 2D Zelda is more linear than LttP, (except for LBW). The game decides the order you complete the dungeons in, and the item from the last dungeon (usually) unlocks the path to the next dungeon.

After you complete the first 3 dungeons in LttP, the game opens up and you're allowed to choose which dungeon to tackle next.
>>
File: 1489790967693.jpg (3MB, 2400x3394px) Image search: [Google]
1489790967693.jpg
3MB, 2400x3394px
>track vampire across continent
>he managed to become lord of an area
>walk into his keep and call him out
>reveals himself to attack me
>slay him
>everyone in the room starts insulting me and spitting at me
>run away before it gets any worse
ungrateful shits were probably in on it.
>>
>>384862723
>After you complete the first 3 dungeons in LttP, the game opens up and you're allowed to choose which dungeon to tackle next.

You're restricted a bit.

You need the Hammer or Hookshot to access the areas with Dungeon 3 or 4.
You need the Fire rod from dungeon 3 to access dungeon 5.
I think you need the Titan glove from Dungeon 4 to access the Area for Dungeon 6.
Hammer might be needed for Dungeon 2?
I can't remember the requirements for Dungeon 7.
>>
>>384862913
I see. You remember LttP better than I do.

I'm certain that LBW is as nonlinear as I'm describing, though. OP, go play LBW.
>>
>>384860156
Because it is cozy as fuck.

The clouds surrounding the map give it something mysterious. Where is it located? Far away from an ocean? Do oceans even exist? Is it located in heaven? Or on a flat earth in the middle of infinite clouds?

Then you have the layout. In the middle is the castle which gives it something majestic and important. It has the colors blue and white and something ancient to it.

Then you have almost no civilization. Only 1 tiny village and the rest are ancient fortresses and castles with long forgotten histories, long abandoned by humans.

This hyrule is the exact opposite of the OOT hyrule. It isn't empty. It is full to the brim with forests, rivers, seas, abandoned houses and ruins, caves etc...

I have dreamt about this map as a kid and living in it, not kidding.
>>
File: x240-C_u.jpg (37KB, 427x240px) Image search: [Google]
x240-C_u.jpg
37KB, 427x240px
>>384863156
Forgot pic
>>
>>384863230
It's like they achieved the perfect balance between water, desert, mountains and forests.

This map is a well-crafted master piece. If you would change even 1 tiny thing it would be totally wrong.
>>
>>384859539
Ultima 4-5-7 maybe?
>>
>>384862353
>Mana series

those games like to change genres between titles though unless you're talking exclusively about the Saiken Densetsu titles
>>
>>384862913
Dark Palace must be first for the Hammer, the next 3 can be done in any order, 5 and 6 require the Titans Mitt, and Turtle Rock requires both the Titans Mitt and the Fire Rod from 3.
>>
>>384859539
Final Fantasy 5, you play through 2 worlds semi-contained as you have to follow a track and then finally you unlock the combined universe which lets you go anywhere immediately.
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.