[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's your favourite map design philosophy?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_0400.jpg (614KB, 2840x1881px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0400.jpg
614KB, 2840x1881px
What's your favourite map design philosophy?
>>
>>384855909
NV map is just so comfy, my favorite part is the mountain area in the northwest corner because
>it feels like a legit challenge from the start of the game so it is good for character progression
>jacobstown is a town I'd actually want to live in in real life
>>
>>384856962
Too bad jacobstown was undeveloped and had like 4 named npcs with one quest
>>
>>384855909
mojave is easily the best designed
>>
>>384855909
i dont see the pit.
>>
>>384857263
It's very small, just has a lot of verticality.
Same reason dead money and lonesome road were left out
>>
File: uenoT.jpg (78KB, 558x746px) Image search: [Google]
uenoT.jpg
78KB, 558x746px
>open world
>>
wait

was fallout 3 really that big?

I dont remember it being that big
>>
>>384857650
Fallout 4 and new vegas are both pretty small, with a large amount of unplayable area within the map
Fallout 3 is about a third of the size of oblivion to put it into perspective
>>
>>384857753
I was under the impression all of bethesda's games since oblivion were around the same size, like 12sq miles or something
>>
>>384857945
Nah, they don't put effort into the fallout series
Sky rim is smaller than oblivion too
>>
As far as philosophies go, I prefer linear, organic levels that pack in a lot of fun stuff without a lot of wiggle room.
You could play though it and say " I am exploring" and you don't recognize that you're being shepherded by the map design, and your exploring is anticipated and rewarded.
Open areas sound nice but always end up trudging through the boring stuff to get to the next loot crate.
Give me a level where I feel like I've got lots of room while I'm really on a defined path with several ways to go about it and hidden, findable secrats and I'd be happiest.
>>
>>384855909

Mojave would have been 10/10 if they didn't cut out a bunch of Caesar's stuff and thus leave the map half-finished.
>>
>>384858453
>>384857945
Ddidn't comparing cell counts and scales reveal that they've been keeping the relative province sizes consistent since morrowind?
>>
>>384855909
I actually like the commonwealth the best and I spent 400 hours in it.

the center really feels like post-apocalyptic city ruins with constant battles and stuff going on
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.