[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Darksouls 1 and DeS magic were balanced

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 6

File: Big_Hat_Sorcery.jpg (260KB, 754x763px) Image search: [Google]
Big_Hat_Sorcery.jpg
260KB, 754x763px
Since DaS was released in Steam i´ve noticed that the new players always complained about magic in DaS being op.

Seriously kids, it was not, you could oneshoot a boss with:
A fucking crown that has literally no def.
A fucking catalyst that was only obtainable after reaching the last part of Logan´s story, which, btw, half your spells.
No fucking poise because you can´t even stack full int + res + at.
Full rings of magic dmg.
So yeah, you could kill Artorias for instance with 2 soul spears, but you need to be geared as hell to get that, plus dont even get any hit because he can rekt the shit out of you.

It´s very funny how things turned out, now DaS III has literally no magic, spells i mean, builds, theyre just an spamfest of buff to your main bleed or luck weapon, so congrats pc niggers, we killed the diversity builds in DaS.
>>
Dark Souls 1 and 2 were the best and your builds could be the most varied.
>>
>>384814398
>ds1 magic
>balanced
nice bait senpai, but das2 is the only dark souls game with balanced magic
>>
>>384814834
>DaS II magic balanced
>Literally no gear to deal tons of dmg
>Fucking miracles can oneshoot bosses cause everyone is weak to thunder
>Fucking Hexes are OP
>Can even spam heal miracle on self to gain like 10hp/s while spaming shit.

Go back to your shitty game kid, let the grown ups talk.
>>
Never played Demon's Souls but in Dark Souls 1 I managed to go through the game, NG+ and NG++ with a pure caster. Not a single melee use in the entire game. Used pyromancies to go through the Duke's Archives.
Tried to do the same thing in Dark Souls 2 and 3, finding it was impossible; spells do way too little damage and you don't have enough charges / MP to rely completely on it.

That's why I think Dark Souls 1 had the best magic. To be fair haven't tried a DaS2 hexes build.
>>
>>384815071
>no imba gear to break the balance
>imaginary good miracles spells, cool
>cant handle dark magic wew
>spamming long cast time spells is too hard to handle for you?
go back to deviantart coldsteel
>>
You absolutely cannot say magic was balanced in DeS. Your points in DaS cannot be applied to DeS.
It's broken from the start, the crescent falchion will carry you through all ng+'s, and armor doesn't matter in that game plus there's no poise.
Doing a magic build made the game as easy as watching it on YouTube.
>>
File: 1425010410982.jpg (122KB, 884x720px) Image search: [Google]
1425010410982.jpg
122KB, 884x720px
I think magic in games should be broken because, you know, it's magic. You're manipulating the natural forces of your world, other existence planes or even creation itself; that's very different to just learn a certain sword technique.

People complaining about magic are just bitter nofun tryhards.
>>
>>384816123
magic should be op in single player games
magic in multiplayer games where it can be multiple people against 1 player, has to be toned down for the sake of balance.
the people who complain aren't the fucking tryhards in that situation lol
>>
>>384816295
This mindset is why magic was ruined in the Souls games. You can't have fun anymore with your caster because the MLG fags whined and whined and whined and whined.
>>
>>384816526
the only one who is whining is you
the actual reason why magic was nerfed was because alot more people could join in a players world, trying to fight 2 casters can be done, trying to fight 4 of them is already impossible even with the nerfed magic
>>
>>384816836
That's exactly what I'm saying!
A very vocal bunch of people became so obsessed with the shitty PVP component they ruined the game for everyone else!
>>
>>384817079
fuck man, stop talking nonsense like a bitch
>>
everyone ready to see Dsp fuck up on ds2?
>>
>mfw only played das

I think I'll skip the rest, I mean how can you top perfection?
>>
>>384818083
can't top delusion
>>
File: 1464623794586.jpg (53KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1464623794586.jpg
53KB, 600x600px
>>384815071
>weak to thunder
LIGHTNING YOU FUCKING ASSHOLE, LIGHTNING

All though I agree with your post
>>
The only think overpowered about magic in any of the Souls games is range, and the fact that it seems like many enemies weren't designed to be engaged this way. In DaS, you can get far more overpowered more quickly using large strength weapons than you can with magic (for example, maxing a Black Knight weapon right at the start by farming the clams in Ash Lake). Your damage will be high enough to one-shot pretty much every enemy in the game up until the Kiln, meanwhile it takes a fair bit of leveling and very specific gear for magic to even come close in terms of damage.

In DaS2 you can do the same thing with 2H strength weapons, most of which can be wielded extremely early on due to the halved strength requirement (like the Demon Great Mace, or Dragon Tooth in SotFS). Everything you hit will either die instantly, get pancaked or get staggered, and similarly to DaS magic really isn't competitive for most of the game. Base DaS2 did have some broken shit like Great Resonant Soul and Sunlight Spear that would trivialize the endgame but I wouldn't say that was enough to claim that magic was broken.
>>
File: bullshit.gif (164KB, 200x187px) Image search: [Google]
bullshit.gif
164KB, 200x187px
>>384814398
>imblyin spamming dark beads in DaS was fair and balanced
everytime i got invaded i struggled by rolling away and somehow ended getting 2 shotted with +/-1600 hp.
>>
>>384814398
In Demon's it was manageable, especially since you could effectively counter magic with the right builds. Mana limit meant you couldn't spam spells without having to use an item, and of course you also had to build heavily for magic, which meant limitations in build.

Dark Souls was quite broken though, especially pyromancy as it scaled from nothing but your glove upgrade level, so any heavily armored knight with zero magic aptitude could fire off some of the strongest spells in the game. Pre-v1.05 it was meta hell with giant dad ninjas flipping around in full +5 giants set, ~1700hp and a lightning zwihander that hit for 777 damage per swing and could still hurl ball of fire that could fuxk you up at range.
>>
>>384814398
First build I did for DS3 was sorcerer, and I ended up rerolling at Crucifixion Woods. Pure sorcs and hybrid sorcs are just not good, plus they're pointless, because you might as well just be a pyromancer and get access to all spells and be better at literally everything while still being able to cast spells if that's what you really want to do.
>>
>>384817079
shut up please
>>
>>384815158
That's why you use the spell restoring consumables. Spellcasting ramps up really fucking fast in II if you know what you're doing, but you do have to bonfire multiple bosses to get your lategame stuff, plus the game does have enemies that are extremely resistant to magic.
>>
>>384815158
In DaS2, you kinda have to rely on herbs to restore your spell uses just like DeS.
>>
>>384814398
Spells WERE balanced in Darksouls 1. Problem was that Dark Spells became a bit whacky, Dark Beads especially.

Spell variation-wise I absolutely loved Dark Souls 2. I could play a Dark Magic spellcaster with all these Hexesand absolutely loved it.
>>
>>384820635
It's not even fair how much more powerful pyromancy is than spellcasting in every single way in DS3. I beat the game with sorcerer before trying pyro and I couldn't fucking believe what I was seeing when I hit the midgame - and I wasn't even going all the way with stuff like Fire Clutch Ring.
>>
>>384817079
if you won't stop posting im gonna have to resolve to name calling and buzzwords since i already ran out of arguments
>>
>>384815071
>>Literally no gear to deal tons of dmg
Good. Magic is a step away from being broken.

>Fucking miracles can oneshoot bosses cause everyone is weak to thunder
Nerfed.

>Fucking Hexes are OP
Nerfed.

>Can even spam heal miracle on self to gain like 10hp/s while spaming shit.
Buffs no longer stack.
>>
File: dark-bead.png (8KB, 102x120px) Image search: [Google]
dark-bead.png
8KB, 102x120px
>>384814398
*1 shots u*
>>
>>384820782
>>384821671
that poster stopped posting an hour ago faggots
>>
>>384822197
people come and go and come again
>>
>>384822318
there's a difference between coming and talking you worthless faggot
>>
>>384815158
I did the magic only run too but I used to catalyst's r2 attack when I ran out of spells sometimes. I had a huge debate in my mind whether that counted as cheating. Do you think I should re-do it now?
>>
>>384823104
sometimes a wizard has to whack a bitch.
>>
File: giantdad more like giantbad.webm (3MB, 600x338px) Image search: [Google]
giantdad more like giantbad.webm
3MB, 600x338px
>>384814398
You dont need poise when you fast roll
>>
>>384815158
I always played sorcerer first in the different games, and it was viable in each of them if you allow yourself to use an enchanted melee weapon. Still way harder in 2 and 3, but doable. Pure casting with absolute zero melee capability has never felt within reason though. The games are built around melee combos dealing vastly more damage than anything else.
>>
>>384814398
des magic was easymode
>>
>>384823365
>just starts walking away from the invader
Nothing to brag about. That player was either garbage or just gave up.
>>
>>384823715
cookie cutter players
>>
>>384823365
this webm just perfectly sums up everything that went wrong with dark souls series
>>
>>384814398
You're retarded. This is what you're forgetting:
>Game is built around punishing mistakes and managing defenses.
>Magic builds completely remove or minimize risk in basically every situation -- melee enemies must approach you, and you have more time to react to ranged enemies.
>Ignores one of the core concepts of the game, learning enemy movesets, and all offense/defense exchanges are literally just mash spells and run, while you completely ignore what enemies can do.
>Reserve all of your stamina for rolling/blocking, never forced to make difficult decisions -- just spam ranged and run away.

You're literally retarded. Examples of good spells are shit like Wrath, Combust, Soul Sword, aka short-ranged spells that control certain spaces while giving your enemies the ability to retaliate. A good example of a long-range projectile spell was like vanilla DkS2 Forbidden Sun; powerful as fuck but only had literally 1 cast.
Soul Spears, Soul Arrows, Lightning Spears, DeS Fireball, etc, all ranged cancer that wrecked their respective games. This shit applies to bow and arrows too.
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.