[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Game Making

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 8

File: Spilldesign-programvare.jpg (55KB, 842x595px) Image search: [Google]
Spilldesign-programvare.jpg
55KB, 842x595px
So how's that game coming along /v/ ?

Share your progression, success or current issues.
>>
>>384777428
>have literally 6 games on my mind
>An a-rpg triology
>1 sidescrolling jump&run game
>1 mixing genre game
>1 action city-openworld game

And I donĀ“t have fucking time or I am too lazy.
>>
>tfw brainlet
>can't even implement basic platformer physics
>using rigidbody collisions seems to wasteful

I'll never be a game developer
>>
It's only in idea stage, but it's good
So you start in one of the US states in a city. After that, there's tornadoes that appear everywhere, and you get a mentor to help you find one underground. In the underground, gear drops from the tornado from aabove. The mentor equips this gear and you have to fight them to get it. It'll be called Thunderblight and be badass
>>
>>384779289
Honestly, start off using Game Maker. As long as you use the scripting in it and not just the drag n' drop stuff it will teach you a lot of the basics. It's also an all around much better engine for 2D games.
>>
>>384779910
This.

In this current year of age, there's so much things already built that most of time you don't need to re-invent the wheels. People have been busy creating tools just in order to let other people build things easier. It's all a matter of creating something original.
>>
File: treasure.webm (851KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
treasure.webm
851KB, 1024x576px
Been brushing up the code over the last few weeks.

Actually added fundamental things that really make it into a game rather than a testing area with some features. That also included a proper save system.

You can drop stuff in the world and it just remains there, no matter whether you leave the area or restart the game or whatever.

Yesterday I finished one of the last really important assets (basically just a metal door that can't be destroyed like the wooden ones) and now I'm actually ready to design and create areas.

Still gotta do some stuff wrt lockpicking - I only added a simple dex check for that. Wanted a little mini game - but then again I'm worried it might take you out of the game if you have to solve a mini game every time you try to unlock something.

Two handed weapons are still missing and magic needs to be integrated in a better way.
>>
File: menu.webm (360KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
menu.webm
360KB, 1280x720px
got a menu going
>>
File: corruption.gif (53KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
corruption.gif
53KB, 512x512px
>>384780745
and I also animated this fire thing
>>
I WANT TO DIE

NEVER GONNA MAKE IT

N

E

V

E V E R

R
>>
File: 1457606173070.png (29KB, 800x473px) Image search: [Google]
1457606173070.png
29KB, 800x473px
>>384780935
Cheer up anon! I know you can do it, you have it in you.
>>
>>384780745
>>384780810
Looking pretty good anon. What's the game about ?
>>
File: snip.webm (464KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
snip.webm
464KB, 1280x720px
>>384781943
jumping and dashing
>>
>>384782898
>That wall behind

Is this rogue-like?
>>
>>384777428
Not coming out any time soon, if ever.
Still struggling with quest system, have a few theories how it can be done, but want to make sure I do it the best way for flexibility and ease of creating quests going forward.
>>
>>384780626
As someone else who is working on a first person RPG, good luck anon, been seeing your game in these threads and it looks good.

You working in UE4?
>>
>>384783054
no, it just makes it necessary for you to go quickly
it gets faster as the levels goes on and it backs out a bit when you kill an enemy, if you stay inside the red area for too long you die
>>
File: cruiser.gif (2MB, 557x436px) Image search: [Google]
cruiser.gif
2MB, 557x436px
s'alright
>>
>>384777428
So a few questions here... I already have some experience in various 3D software purely from an artist's point of view, mainly Max and ZBrush. I just model stuff and render it most of the time, but I do understand game-related concepts like texture baking, as I use it to save on needless geometry for small-scale detail.
How difficult would it be to get started in something like Unity or Unreal with zero knowledge of programming? I can handle managing expressions in software like Houdini because most of it is automated and makes sense conceptually, but any time I look at raw code my head just hurts trying to make sense of it, and when I was in my teens I even failed at learning Basic. Math-wise, if you asked me to find the length of a triangle edge or area, I couldn't tell you.
However, I heard that both Unity and Unreal have flow-chart or node-based editors that you can program entirely with, and if it's anything like operators in Houdini, I think I can manage that. Is this a reasonable consideration? It would be nice if I could, at least for a start, use something like Unreal for visualizing scenes in real time (lots of archvis artists do it right now) and gradually add on game-like components to better understand what I have to do along the way. Or would I be learning myself into a corner by doing this? And if it is a safe way to go for primarily an artist, what would be a good resource to learn from that doesn't expect or front-load C++/C# knowledge?
>>
>>384784758
I would recommend UE4 for your needs. If you are used to node workflows like in Houdini you will take to blueprints like a duck to water. It will allow you to get stuff up and running very quickly and then you can add on proper code later as you learn. UE4s workflows are very blueprint focused, augmented with custom coded nodes as and when you need them. I am 3D artist also, same skill-set as you and I use UE4 all the time for game scenes and basic functionality.
>>
>>384777428
Getting back into game making, picking up GMS (bought the license 2 years ago or so, didn't touch it until now).

Need to lose the rustiness on my coding and learn pixel art so I can 1MA the fuck out of everything.
>>
>>384784758
What >>384785483 said, BP will teach you to think like a programmer at least partially. However, if you want to do anything complicated, it really would be best to learn to program. Again, in UE4 you can do this more painlessly since you can do your stuff in BP, then port it over to C++, which is a great way to learn.
>>
>>384785643
That's the way to go! I myself followed this exact method. Forced myself to learn more than coding, it was worth it.
>>
sorry, im just not good enough
>>
>>384785483
>>384785817
Thanks for the answers. Until I upgrade my toaster so that I can eventually run Unreal properly, in the meantime, what would be a good resource to start with the basics? Any YouTube channels or paid/free tutorials you'd recommend for brain food?
>>
>>384786473
Honestly Epics own documentation and example projects are actually really good to get started. I always recommend just downloading some of their examples and then ripping them apart while reading the docs. Personally I learn better on the fly so I just set myself some tasks like 'Im going to make an RTS style box selection system' and then just try and make that in a blank project, or hack it together from example projects. I learn way faster doing that than trying to follow specific tutorials.
>>
>>384778412
jack?
>>
>>384780935
I implore you to reconsider
>>
>>384780217
>second this
Too many people never make any games because they are afraid of the stigma of using game maker or unity, good games can still be made with premade engines
>>
>>384782898
That looks awesome
>>
>>384780745
>>384780810
>>384782898
What engine are you using?
>>
File: gunn.gif (2MB, 400x250px) Image search: [Google]
gunn.gif
2MB, 400x250px
if i post before the thread dies i cant get bullied
>>
>>384787149
good ol' Construct 2
>>
>>384789018
looks good, no reason to fear being bullied
>>
>>384778412
Having 6 games in your mind is like having 0 games. Just start small, make a shitty small game and learn the basics and then you can start building something bigger.
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.