[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How popular was Sonic back in the days when he was relevant?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2

How popular was Sonic back in the days when he was relevant? Did he really rival Mario or was that just Segafag delusion?
>>
>was relevant
>was
>>
It was mostly marketing that fabricated that the rivalry was anything close.
>>
>>384776402
in england he was on tv,in bank comercials,games on the side of buses the works

food,cereal,pop etc if you could put sonic on it he was on it.

he was more popular than mario at one point,i miss those days
>>
>>384776584
This, at least in europe. He was more popular for a while.
>>
mega drive won over the snes here in europe
>>
He was bigger than Mario
>>
>>384776402
he was super popular, when I was a kid I saw Sonic as a role model and in the 90's I'd say shit like 'that's tubular dude, let's get some chillidogs'

he just had that 'cool kid' vibe that was the trend at the moment
>>
>>384776402
Reminder that Genesis/Mega Drive outsold the SNES in almost every country except Japan, so yeah you can sure bet Sonic was big.
>>
>>384776402
in Europe he dominated while in America it was a 50/50 race. Japan is the outlier, Sonic's never been that successful there and SoJ's incompetence is why they're a third party developer now.
>>
>>384776402
I didn't know a single person with a NES/SNES, growing up in NZ. I never saw a Nintendo console until N64. Until then, it was all Sega.
>>
>>384776402
the first game may actually have been a system seller, but after that the games pretty much fell off the radar because it was a one trick pony and only fanboys kept caring
objectively speaking:
>sonic 1 sold 15m
>sonic 2 sold 6m, less than half
>downhill from there, but mario and sonic sold 11m
so basically, the second highest selling sonic game was a mario shovelware title
>>
>>384776402
Sonic was the first video game character to get a Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade float. I think the only other video game character to get one is Pikachu and the Red Angry Bird.
>>
>>384776402
He was popular in Europe, which is like being the fastest competitor in the High Jump.
>>
File: download.jpg (10KB, 211x238px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
10KB, 211x238px
>>384776402

They deluded themselves into believing he was more known than Mickey Mouse remember
>>
>>384777383
This really. He started great with the whole rivalry. But near the end of the Genesis his popularity really fell. The issue really is they marketed him too much it seems. Where Mario kind of showed up in things like Punch-Out!! and Golf it never really felt like it was forcing him in it. Where Sonic had tons of games outside of 1-3. With everything being named Sonic. It was quickly over saturation on the Genesis. And once Sega seem to have no clue on how to handled Sonic after Genesis fair weather Sonic fans just left.

I mean Sonic only really staying power right now is nostalgia which I guess is enough.
>>
>>384776584
>>384776640
Fellow Eurofag. None of my friends even knew who Mario was until the N64. Never even saw a SNES.
>>
>>384776402
>Segafag delusion
Delision. Sonic games were mediocre at best.
>>
>>384776402
Old guy here.

>How popular was Sonic back in the days when he was relevant? Did he really rival Mario or was that just Segafag delusion?

Probably the most popular character in all of video games during the 16-bit era. Mario's games were better though and everyone knew it, which is why Mario World sold better than any Sonic game.
>>
>>384777527
this is the best post in the thread
>>
I'm probably too young at 25, but I never recall him being popular at all in the UK.
>>
Games were good, everything past SA2B is shit.
Boost was a mistake.
>>
>>384776402
You're making the mistake of thinking not realizing the sonic vs mario thing was about a very specific age group.

No one past the age of 13 argued about which cartoon character was better, at least back than. Now a days though people do that well into their 30s.
>>
>>384778649
>oversaturation on the genesis
There was what, S1, S2, Spinball, CD, S3&K, and also a few Game Gear games, S1, S2, Chaos, and Triple Trouble. Maybe count Mean Bean Machine.
Through the entire mainline life of the Genesis (so, up to 1994), Sonic sure as hell wasn't over represented.

after Sega basically dropped the machine because lol Saturn, Chaotix was in 95, 3D Blast in 96, and that's the whole lot of them
and the actual issue is that instead of a main Sonic game on the Saturn, we got Sonic R and a 3D Blast port, there wasn't much reason to keep caring about Sonic after 1994 when Sega screwed up completely with the Saturn
>>
>>384776681
Because of Fifa, not Sonic.

Mario was still more popular over here.
>>
>>384776402
In the first half of the 90's he was more popular in Brazil then Mario, it was only in the second half of that decade that Mario would take the lead
>>
>>384781505
Not for lack of trying, sega's mistake in making the 32x and releasing it the year before saturn as well as the development hell for sonic xtreme is what led to that. If it weren't for the 32x existing and the saturn being the sole focus we might have gotten a much more successful console with a great mainline sonic game.
>>
>>384777025
>Sega of Japan still fucking bitter that they're starving Sega of America of IPs while they're actually doing better just by slapping Sonic on everything

It's actually really sad
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.