[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Alright /v/ CAN SOMEONE TELL ME THE FUCKING APPEAL OF OCARINA

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 3

File: Niggers.jpg (209KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
Niggers.jpg
209KB, 1600x900px
Alright /v/
CAN SOMEONE TELL ME THE FUCKING APPEAL OF OCARINA OF TIME?
WHY DO PEOPLE SAY ITS THE BEST GAME?
IS IT?
IS IT A NORMIE TEIR GAME?

EXPLAIN THIS RIGHT NOW /v/
>>
>>384757287

I played the game and didn't think it was the second coming of Christ. I would give it a B- at best. However, we have to agree that it was one step forward for 3D games when it first released.
>>
>>384757287
it depends on how are you rating it

if you jugde it by today's standards, its just there. Puzzles aint that complicated, graphics are ehh, story is alright.

if you judge it by that time's standards, it was godsent.

So yeah, objectively its a meh game but its still a classic. The hype comes from nostalgia tripping with its quality by that times standards as basis.
>>
>>384757287

In an age of games made by gamers and for gamers, Nintendo made a very easy, simple, and casual game for children and non gamers, that half plays itself (jumping is done automatically in an ass creed sort of way, literally pioneers cancer features like autoaim, literally hold a button just and button mash to win, stupid time based puzzle combat, summonable NPC that helps you fast travel and tell you what to do next), and it was also lucky enough to be one of the only high profile games on a system that didn't have much.

So it basically had the entire casual gaming audience of 1998 all to itself. And that's why you see girl gamers and casual numales praise it since it was all they could beat back in the day.
>>
>>384757287
It was the highlight of many childhoods, mine included.
>>
I like that the side content had heart and soul for the most part. God tier soundtrack doesn't hurt.

The game is incredible and if you say otherwise you are a hipster
>>
>>384758073

What a sad children. You entire post was disturbing and depressing.
>>
>>384757287
Its ok. Majoras mask is better.
>>
>>384757287

You have to play other games made around that time. Ocarina of Time blows the everloving fuck out of most of them. Going on this larger-than-life adventure in a 3D world and with excellent controls and camera was a huge deal. People say its the 'best game ever' because at the time it pretty much was.

Obviously taken out of its historical context it becomes simply a pretty good game with very dated graphics. You can still fall in love with it but the impact wouldn't be the same.
>>
>>384757287
Nintendo finally made a decent game
>>
>>384758275
Well yeah
Why do you think I'm on an anime imageboard on a friday night
>>
>>384757287
redditors say it is the best game ever made, but it's just a really nice game that revolutionized video games with z-targeting (probably would have happened without it)
>>
>>384758328
>You have to play other games made around that time.

This is bullshit. I actually pretty much exclusively play old games, and when I played OoT it was actually one of the newer games I played, and it was just dogshit in every way. It wasn't a marvel at all.

As I said in the other OoT thread up right now. I played OoT and Shadow Warrior 1997 at the same time, and SW held up much much better than OoT and had better level design and better story. But I played plently of games way older than Shadow Warrior too.

Even at the time, OoT was a bad game. In fact it's one of the only games from the 90's that I played that didn't hold up and stand the test of time. You know how fucking rare that is? For an old classic to not actually be good? Almost every classic from the 90's is still god tier when you play it today, but OoT is just garbage.
>>
>>384757287
>Music is great
>Dungeon design is at its peak of the franchise
>Its gimmick of Time Travel is more interesting than other Zelda games
>Controls are great and responsive
>Camera is great which is something games today still fuck up
>Any glitches are legitimately fun glitches which make finding alternate ways to play the game even more fun

The only shit thing about the game is how big and empty Hyrule Field is which doesn't become a problem if you use Ocarina warps or warps between Lost Woods and Goron City/Zora Fountain and Zora Fountain to Lake Hylia
>>
>>384757287
>Jump to 3d for a popular series
>one of the best executed early 3d games
>an excellent Zelda game all around
>flagship title on one of the most popular consoles of all time
I think that the later 3d ones made lots of improvements but it's still very cool to play now.
>>
>>384758669
>opinions
ok
>>
Overrated shit.
>>
>>384758669

>Even at the time, OoT was a bad game.
Goddamn you have the shittiest fucking taste. I don't care if you like Shadow Warrior this alone was just fucking stupid to read.
>>
>>384758669
>that didn't hold up and stand the test of time

>Controls are great, games today are still fucking that up
>Camera has problems, games today are still fucking that up and worse than OoT
>Game design isn't hold your hand-tier and lets you explore while giving you clues on where to go, games today often just tell you exactly where to go at any given time

The only things about OoT that don't stand up are the graphics obviously, and the FPS which is better on the NTSC versions and you barely notice once you've been playing awhile.
>>
>>384757287

HOW DO OPINIONS WORK
>>
All Zelda games are casual baby entry-level tier trash with decent music. It's like Mario.
>>
>>384759115

What the fuck games have you been playing if you legit think that OoT has good controls or a good camera. Holy fuck OoT has a garbage control scheme and the camera suffers from way to much oversteer and often needs to be manually reajusted. It would literally be easier for me to think of the few games with camera's worse than OoT because almost every game I've ever played has a better camera than OoT. Also link just feels like shit to control.

>game design doesn't hold your hand

It literally jumps for you when you get to a gap. If that isn't hand holding then what is. Also that fucking thing that follows you I can't remember it's name right now literally tells you where to go next and is always interrupting you. The game was handholdy as fuck for a 1998 game.
>>
>>384758669
>comparing a PC game to a n64 game
Are you actually austistic
>>
>>384759115
>Game design isn't hold your hand-tier

Are you fucking kidding me? It has instantly respraying items and hearts, ammo. The rock outside links house literally tells you what to do and navigate never shuts the fuck up. It's the most casual game ever made
>>
>>384759547

Not an argument.
>>
>>384757287
>LE ALL CAPS RAEGING MAN
>>
>>384759547

>comparing

Where did I compare, I just said that a game from 1997 holds up perfectly while a game from 1998 that's overhyped as fuck doesn't.
>>
>>384759597
Its like comparing the best shack in the world with the best mansion in the world. For the time it was amazing and for the system specs it was amazing.
Name one game for console that was made around the same time that was better
>>
>>384759413
If the controls were as shit as you seem to think, speedrunning setups would be impossible. Link's mobility and different ways to control him allow him to do all kinds of shit.
What the fuck is wrong with OoT's camera?
It follows behind you fine and if it ever fucks up it's literally press Z to reallign it again.
>It literally jumps for you when you get to a gap
Glad to see you have no idea what handholding is.
>Also that fucking thing that follows you I can't remember it's name right now literally tells you where to go next and is always interrupting you
Good to see you didn't finish the first three dungeons, the start of the game to know that the Owl goes away before the third dungeon.
>>
File: IMG_1107.jpg (88KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1107.jpg
88KB, 640x480px
>>384759698
>shadow warrior held up better than ocarina of time
how retarded can you be
>>
>>384759560
>The rock outside links house literally tells you what to do
What
What rock
>>
>>384759965

The fucking one you crawl into, and it gives you 'visions'.
>>
>>384757287
It's one of few games to capitalize on the Hero's Journey monomyth well, which nails it firmly in public consciousness. It even has the classic call to adventure and subsequent death of the mentor figure (Deku Tree) before going off to explore the unknown world (Hyrule and its dungeons.) Complete with guardians (bosses) and a transformation (time travel.) Being accessible helps too, it controls well and Navi was created to prevent people from getting lost or stuck. Zelda has always been wildly popular due to exploration even if OoT is more linear than Zelda 1 or BotW. Being in 3D and Z-targeting were fairly groundbreaking at the time.
>>
>>384759897

I'm not talking about the Owl, I am talking about Navi.

>>384759951

>muh graphics

It's a build engine game who cares, the level design and gameplay are fucking god tier in Shadow Warrior.
>>
>>384760119
Are we both talking about Ocarina of Time here or have I been missing something obvious for almost 20 years
>>
>>384758212
I just finished playing Majora and it is far superior in the "heart and soul" department than Ocarina
>>
>>384760345

Big owls are called Rocs in mythology. He just mispelled it.
>>
>>384760271
>muh boring fps level design key finding quest with added racism
people who played on pc back then still knew zelda was better
>>
>>384760568

Only the bad levels were Doom style keyhunts. Build engine games like Shadow Warrior became a thing of their own. The level design complexity and amazingness in Shadow Warrior was just legendary. Some of the most fun levels to explore in gaming outside of the Thief series.

And no, no one who played PC gaming back then gave a shit about console scraps.
>>
>>384760345
>>384760513

There's a fairy rock you can crawl into in the 3D version.
>>
>>384760245
This guy gets it, Ocarina was huge because it allowed such a variety of people to access it. Its control scheme was functional and new, so felt innovative, and if you wanted help on where to go next there were plenty of ways to get it, or you could opt not to and go it barebones. It just allowed different playstyles, add to that the easily digestible story and "sharing on the playground" style secrets and you can see why it might get as big as it did.
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.