[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Was it ahead of its time?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 6

File: Nokia-NGage-LL.jpg (152KB, 1200x685px) Image search: [Google]
Nokia-NGage-LL.jpg
152KB, 1200x685px
Was it ahead of its time?
>>
GBA said hi.
>>
File: download.jpg (6KB, 259x194px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
6KB, 259x194px
Yes
>>
>>384753889
Yes, considering how mobile gaming is now a billion dollar industry
>>
>>384753889
>Too expensive
>Great ideas but technology was too shit to do it correctly
Definitively.
>>
>that way you had to hold it like a taco to talk on it
>>
>>384753889
I had the second model (the QD) and it's still one of my favorite phones I've ever owned

>dat orange accent backlighting
>dat 5/7 A/B buttons
>dat Chaos Theory port
>dat Ghost Recon port
>dat X-Men Legends 2 port
>dat pirate game
>dat exclusive Elder Scrolls game

only big gripe with it was how there was a headset jack, not a full 3.5mm headphone jack
>>
Does N-Gage Emulation even exist?
I feel like all those games are lost forever.
>>
>>384753889
I had it, it was awful, talking into it was fucking the most ridiculous shit.
>>
>>384756212
roms have been ripped but as far as i know, they're only useable in a real N-Gage loaded on an empty MMC

a shame too because Elder Scrolls: ShadowKey is pretty decent full open world TES game (given hardware limitations)
>>
Eh, it was a little awkward.

Now, the Tapwave Zodiac? That was a device that should have taken off. Dook 3D on the move, a full function PDA, it just happened to come before mobile internet was commonplace so normies never got behind it.

The shell was aluminium, and the analog stick was the nicest I've ever seen on a mobile device.
>>
File: xperia_play.jpg (53KB, 600x399px) Image search: [Google]
xperia_play.jpg
53KB, 600x399px
>>384753889

Tested one of these out when they first came out. The buttons were absolutely god awful. The vidya equivalent of the car homer simpson designed. How it got out of prototyping is a mystery.

The X-Peria Play (pic related) was ahead of its time. Only having a touch screeen really holds mobile gaming back. Android and Apple need to agree to a standard controller setup and API so third parties can make physical add-ons (joycon style), and we can get some decent platformers that aren't endless runners.
>>
I think people forget the QD came out and fixed literally every problem of the N-Gage as most people knew it (and seem to only remember the one)

too little, too late though
>>
>>384756407
Nobody is ever going to support physical controls on a phone again.
>>
File: img_2333.jpg (2MB, 4272x2848px) Image search: [Google]
img_2333.jpg
2MB, 4272x2848px
N-Gage compared to QD (second gen model)
>>
>>384753889
Unironically yes. Look at mobile gaming now.
>>
>>384756407
i actually had one for a while, it was quite amazing honestly.

downloaded all kinds of roms and emus and it ran them flawlessly, hell i even completed mother 3 on it.
>>
>>384756710
Literally nothing from the N-gage persisted or influenced later devices, though.

Maybe the vertical screen, but shitty 90s LCD games did that too. WAP was garbage, and the idea of downloading a game on it was pure fantasy for anything more complex than snake.
>>
>>384753889
It totally was.
>>
>>384756779
>it ran them flawlessly,
Learn what words mean. The Xperia wasn't capable of emulating anything past the NES era with any reasonable accuracy.

The words you were looking for are "passable to my unknowing monkey brain".
>>
>>384756890
>Literally nothing from the N-gage persisted or influenced later devices, though.

The fact that it's a phone that does gaming.

That's like, been the hottest shit for years.
>>
>>384757065
this

Retards' idea of emulation is "it plays", but accurate emulation on mobile is still pretty shit outside of using RetroArch maybe.
>>
>>384754402
I don't know how you eat tacos, but that is not true. It LOOKS like a taco, but you didn't hold it like a taco.
>>
>>384753889
i still find a way to play Pocket Kingdom in PC
>>
>>384757151
N-Gage may have done it first, but Apple was the first to do it right, so my point stands

N-Gage influenced nothing

most people have never even heard of it
>>
>>384757151
My 3310 plays snake with physical buttons. Literally every fucking phone does, I don't know why you think the N-gage is special.

If anything, it's filled with features that have already been discarded, like using MMC cards for games.

>>384757285
>first
Fuck off, you fucking 12 year old. Why talk about things you weren't even around to witness?
>>
I had one. I had Tony Hawk, Pandemonium, and Red Faction. I think I played each game 2 or 3 times total before putting the thing in a drawer and forgetting about it. My dad spent a ton on it, too. I still feel guilty.
>>
>>384757365
The N-Gage was the first big push to get phones on the same level as dedicated handhelds.

Now they've arguably surpassed those in terms of relevance to gaming.
>>
>>384756559
>I think people forget the QD came out and fixed literally every problem of the N-Gage

>screen taller than it is wide
>while playing sonic
>>
>>384757541
>on the same level

it blew the GBA out of the water

and PSP and DS didn't come until 2 years later
>>
>>384757423
I used mine a ton, because it was super easy to sneak into school in a pocket. The GBA, DS, and PSP were all retard sized.

Plus, you could get all the games off the internet for free, along with anything intended for symbian OS.

>>384757541
>>Now they've arguably surpassed those in terms of relevance to gaming.
A statement this stupid barely deserves a (you).
>>
>>384757718
>A statement this stupid barely deserves a (you).

are you fucking kidding me? You genuinely don't think mobile game isn't dictating market trends way more than the 3DS?

Look at their financial schemes. They're all over the place, even in AAA gaming.
>>
>>384757669
>it blew the GBA out of the water

How? The GBA still had better ergonomics, better battery life and a bigger screen with a more proper aspect ratio. Maybe it had some nice 3D graphics but what use are these with shitty controls and a small, low res, portrait screen?
>>
>>384758019
>You genuinely don't think mobile game isn't dictating market trends way more than the 3DS?
Name a single mobile game worth anything.
>>
>>384758153
Why are you dodging the question?

Whether or not you like the games doesn't change the fact that microtransactions and gacha are all over the fucking place in gaming now. Nintendo for God's sake gave into it.
>>
>>384758054
GBA had an isometric faux 3D Tony Hawk
N-Gage had a full-on port of the PS1 game

hell, the Chaos Theory port was the foundation for the Nintendo DS Chaos Theory game years later
>>
>>384758234
>>384758019
>>384757151
>reddit spacing
>>
>>384758536
Not an argument.
>>
>>384757669
>N-Gage release date
October 2003

>DS release date
November 2004

>PSP release date
March 2005

Reminder that the N-Gage had no gamez
>>
File: Smug_191c79_5762907.jpg (20KB, 379x364px) Image search: [Google]
Smug_191c79_5762907.jpg
20KB, 379x364px
>>384759070
>he never played Pocket Kingdom
>>
>>384759179
>The theme is somewhat atypical for a video game, since it makes fun of the usual conventions of MMORPGs: here, every character knows he/she/it is in a video game, talks in leet-speak, and even the plot itself is about replacing three griefers who were banned from a high score table.

This is more 00s than frosted tips
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.