[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is It Worth It?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 11

File: maxresdefault.jpg (232KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
232KB, 1280x720px
This thread is for individuals asking for whether or not they should spend money on a particular game. Post the game you're interested in and see if anyone can point you in the right direction.
>I know that many of you consider piracy an option and while that's all fine and dandy, I'd rather not have to go through the process of cracking and having to pilot test a game.

First up, is GTAV worth the 60 dollar asking price for a digital copy? I see that I can get a hard copy for cheaper but I would much prefer the download.
>>
File: 4593-gta-iv-screenshot.jpg (170KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
4593-gta-iv-screenshot.jpg
170KB, 1280x720px
Another question, is GTAIV worth 20 darah? I see that it's now backwards compatible on the XBOX one and I never got the opportunity to play it. I played the shit out of the GTA trilogy on PS2 and I know 4 doesn't have as much content as San Andreas, but I'm looking for a really tight story, solid gameplay, and a city worth dicking around in.
>>
File: finch_logo_large.jpg (145KB, 2184x1792px) Image search: [Google]
finch_logo_large.jpg
145KB, 2184x1792px
Has anyone played the game What Remains of Edith Finch? I'm a fan of walking sims as much as terrible as that sounds and I got a significant amount of enjoyment from the game Firewatch. I've tried to not spoil myself on the story but am put off by the 20 bones asking price.
>>
File: actual_1467740579.jpg (414KB, 720x720px) Image search: [Google]
actual_1467740579.jpg
414KB, 720x720px
As a fan of open world games, this game also caught my eye but I'm not sure about teh western setting. I'm not dismissive, but this is my first exposure to teh game and don't know if I'm going to get as immersed into this as the other open world rockstar games.
>Asking price 30 darah
>>
/v/ doesn't play video games so asking if something is worth it is going to get no responses. Also u haven't played any of those so I don't know what to tell yiu
>>
>>384701985
Also pirate everything. Video games are never worth it and all the cucks on this website will tell you the same thing.

P.S. Go fuck yourself
>>
>>384700981
>>384701293
>>384701696
I've played all three of these for at least 150 hours and quite liked each of them. I can answer any specific questions you might have about them. What you said you wanted from them was vague, so maybe this would be a better approach.
>>
>>384701293
It's a great game and the physics are really fun to play around with. The gun play and graphics are a little outdated but nothing too bad.
>>
>>384700981
It has a amount of content and it's pretty much bug free, despite I like GTA IV more, it's way ahead of 90% of every other Open World game out there.
But it's certainly not worth 60 dollar since the last release from it was in 2015, no one should spend 60 dollar on a 2 year old game.
>>
>>384701696
The game is great, would 100% recommend it. There is more than just the wild west, map also has a decent sized city and mexico.

Story is also a 10/10
>>
>>384700981
Not worth $60
>>384701293
Definitely worth it, but try to get the version with the DLCs
>>384701542
Not worth it
>>384701696
Better than GTA IV imo, but I love westerns, so idk if you'll like it.
>>
>>384701696
Yes yes and yes. It's the best Open World game of all time, without any form of negativity. I'm a bit jealous, I would love to play it like it's the first time.
>>
>>384702785
I think the gunplay is still pretty great to be honest; no other GTA offered the type of feedback on your shots that GTA IV offered, both in terms of bodily reaction (blood, levels of flinching, etc.) and in terms of how the NPCs themselves reacted to being shot in specific locations, and the guns themselves sounded properly powerful. Also, I found that it was far more conducive to aiming on a console than the other GTAs.
>>
>>384702773
I really appreciate it.

With GTAV, I'm interested for a couple reasons. I love the state of San Andreas so revisitng that makes me happy and the idea of having the option of a first person view seems like a new way to play the game. However, some anon posted a video that highlighted some gameplay elements that were missing from V or tweaked to a point of ridiculousness. Pedestrians go down with one punch and the cops arrest you for simply standing too close to them. I'm never under any circumstances going to play the online mode unless absolutely pushed because I remember playing Multi-Theft Auto and it was filled to the brim with cheaters.

Concerning GTAIV, I've always heard horrid things about the driving physics but others praise them. I also hear that it's the most serious with regard to GTA stories and worried that it will lose some of the charm while playing. I do miss Liberty City but am worried that just going off and doing your own thing isn't going to be as fulfilling as GTA5.

On the top of Red Dead Redemption, I played the first game Red Dead Revolver and I absolutely hated it. I could respect what the gameplay offered but the story and bosses honestly felt like a metal gear game. I could just be misrembering it but Revolver left a bad taste in my mouth.

>>384703057
I see that getting all the content for the GTAIV universe would be
>20 Dollars for Base Game
>10 Dollars for Lost and Damnes
>20 Dollars for Ballad of Gay Tony
>Altogether still cheapter than GTA5 which kinda blows me away.
>>
File: 999999-047875877610_1.jpg (30KB, 389x460px) Image search: [Google]
999999-047875877610_1.jpg
30KB, 389x460px
Do I buy?
>>
Yes GTA V is worth 60 dollars but it frequently goes on sale for 30. GTA Online is actually pretty good with the amount of content it gives you; only the most outlandish shit costs any serious amount of money (AKA more than a million)
>>
>>384700981
Get it at half the price if you can, just never 60.
>>
File: IMG_3014.png (184KB, 266x375px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3014.png
184KB, 266x375px
Should I get it? Iv been playing the trial on Origin, and it seems really simplistic compared to the sims 3, but it runs better. Opinions?
>>
>>384703905
Well, first of all, if you're expecting a direct HD remake of San Andreas in V, get that out of your head right away. V's San Andreas is far different, and a much closer to reality representation of Los Angeles. Also, San Fierro and Las Venturas aren't in the game. Instead, Los Santos has been made far more massive, and the outskirts of the city mostly comprise of twisty roads, very large mountains, government installations, and desert hicktowns and hipster hangouts, with the northern portion of the map hosting a smaller town called Paleto Bay. Furthermore, the focus of GTA V is no longer on gangbanging, as Rockstar wanted to bring San Andreas up to date with current Cali, where the age of the gangbanger has effectively ended. Instead, the crime of interest in V is the heist, and they are fairly elaborate in terms of the planning. There are always two vastly different ways to play them. About the cops though, they arrest you because the NPCs are designed to be more reactive to your presence. This includes running away from you if you stand near them for too long, since they perceive you as a stalker and get threatened. That video does show that IV has more TECHNOLOGY than V, but honestly, you'd be hard pressed to notice any of the differences at first glance. Pedestrians also take more than one punch to go down, what you've heard is an exaggeration. It all depends on your Strength stat, but even at max strength, peds still take a few hits, usually executed through a dodge counter, to go down. First person is definitely an experience worth trying though, especially since every vehicle, and there are a lot, has a fully detailed interior with working gauges, and the guns sound far better than in third person.
>>
>>384704035
Absolutely, fun as fuck. Ignore the spergs on /v/ reeeeeing in every Overwatch thread.
>>
>>384704937
The better load times in Sims 4 compared to 3 make it worth it in my opinion.
>>
File: 1470627174842.jpg (9KB, 161x220px) Image search: [Google]
1470627174842.jpg
9KB, 161x220px
>spending money on games
>>
>>384703905
>>384705061
As for IV, the driving is very polarizing. I enjoyed it quite a lot personally because since every car has weight, you had to be methodical with the way you drove. You had to be careful with what apexes you hit because differences in elevation between road and sidewalk meant that every apex was a potential place to spin out, so you can't take the fastest line through the corners all the time, you had to exert throttle control, and you were actually wary of other drivers because they could very easily mess up your lines and disrupt your driving. I found it very rewarding when you mastered it, and when I did, I could beat muscle car drivers in a minivan because I knew how to take turns. I didn't get this from the other GTAs, and I saw no reason not to plow into other cars when they were in my way. Plus, supercars were actually rare; there was no set area where you could find all of them, like in San Andreas. As for the story, a lot of people here would fight me on this, but I legitimately think it's the best in the series, and that it does a very good job of tackling the potential reality of the American Dream. The two DLCs are also directly intertwined with the base game's story, as the three protags cross paths multiple times due to circumstances. It was really nice to see the same debacles told from three different perspectives, and the motivations of all the characters involved. As for charm, the main story of the base game and The Lost and Damned are fairly serious for the most part, but there were some zany moments, like the protag's friends organizing a date with a gay guy, a guy who you're supposed to kill, a homage to the movie Heat, and the protag driving a truck with a bomb that'll blow up if you crash too much, among others. The satire on the TV, the internet and the radio are pretty much as light as they've always been. The Ballad of Gay Tony DLC is also a complete departure in tone from the base game, it's like the PS2 GTAs.
>>
>>384704937
I would absolutely say yes after the shitstorm of 3, but 2 will forever remain my favorite

.>>384705061
>San Fierro and Las Venturas aren't in the game
=(
Beyond that, I really appreciate how much detail you went into your answer. While I'm going to sorely miss the other areas it seems like Rockstar at least attempted to compensate with other areas. I'm glad to hear that the first person view wasn't just implemented for shits and giggles but actually worth tring out.

>>384706134
That sounds fucking awesome! While I really am interested in what GTA5 brings to the table, I'm happy to see that IV still gets some love even 10 years later. I think I'm going to go with 4 but still pick up 5 the second it goes on sale like amany anons here had posted. Also I'm glad to hear that the two expansion packs tied to the GTA4 universe weren't just blatant cash grabs. Also the fact that The Ballad of Gay Tony harkens back to the prior era of GTA. I was worried I was just going to play the game and be depresssed the whole way through because there was nothing to break up the story.
>>
>>384703905
>>384706134
Finally, if you get either game, know that a very important component to the storytelling in both is the hangouts with friends. The hangouts contain at least 2 hours of extra dialogue, probably more, and considering the cutscenes last a minute at most, that's quite a lot of potential story. The combat dialogue functions in much the same way. Also, the emails in IV and the smaller side activities in V such as smoking weed, and the random strangers in both, reveal quite a lot about the characters, and they're quite easy to miss. If you play both, I recommend you do the hangouts with friends and girlfriends and the smaller side activities with other characters especially if you're into story. I think both games utilize their side content very well for the purposes of characterization or exploring themes and parallels between characters. There's just a greater emphasis on the player to hunt down every detail about the characters, something which didn't happen in the 3D GTAs, as characterization effectively ended after the main story was over. Red Dead Redemption is the same way.
>>
File: 5549-gta4-pc-screenshot.jpg (554KB, 1680x1050px) Image search: [Google]
5549-gta4-pc-screenshot.jpg
554KB, 1680x1050px
>>384706665
That makes me even more stoked to play the game. Knowing that there are additional things to do beyond the main story quests that actually expand on characters in meaningful ways. Doiing side shit was always something I enjoy doing in open world games and to hear that its implemented as well as you say it is sounds great. One last question, is GTA4 similar to the prior games in that the world of Liberty City is worth exploring every nook and cranny of or is the gameworld a significant step down from prior entries?
>Just watched the trailers for the game and I gotta say, it does its job in making me interested in playing teh game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M80K51DosFo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOZ8bRAO7YQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTYMb79BPGc
>>
File: 3019738-4.jpg (93KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
3019738-4.jpg
93KB, 960x540px
Another question, how is Street Fighter V? I'm a big fan of the street fighter games with Third Strike being my favorite of the bunch. I played a good deal of 2 and more of 4 and I'm intrigued by 5 (especially by the fact my main man Alex is in the game). However, I looked at the reviews its gotten online and every seems to be ripping it a new one (and it seems like for good reason).

Everyone seems to claim that the majority of the game is only accessible behind a pay wall and I wanted to know how much truth is in that statement. Sometimes people online overexxagerate how much the game fucked them over but sometimes their concerns are right on the money. Would love to hear anons thoughts on the game as well as what it brings to the table.
>>
>>384706565
No matter what /v/ tells you, GTA V is a genuinely amazing technical achievement, especially if you consider that it was designed with the last gen consoles in mind. They really went all out in trying to recreate the diverse elements of California in Los Santos; there are over 1,100 real life locations that have been recreated in V's map.
http://grandtheftdata.com/landmarks/#-41.048,793.456,2,satellite
Even if you think that SA's map was better, which a lot of /v/ does, or that V's map has a lot of filler, don't listen to anyone who says it had no effort put into it. GTA fans in general should know very well that the one thing Rockstar never skimps out on is properly anal attention to detail.

The DLCs of IV definitely weren't half assed; they're proper expansion packs. And if you don't like the fact that most of the side content in the base game is accessed through the friends and the phone and not shown on the map like the older GTAs, you'll like that there are more prominent side activities shown on the map. One more thing about the hangouts in IV, they're important not only because of how they contribute to the story, but also because, like I said, a bunch of the side content is found through them, and if you get them to like you enough, they offer gameplay bonuses which can diversify your playstyles during the missions. Most of the mission objectives are admittedly very simple, i.e. go here and kill these guys, but since GTA is a sandbox, I find that this means you are less restricted in the manner in which you do them, and the friend and girlfriend gameplay bonuses help you in this regard. A definite flaw with the game is that it does lack significant customization; you can't customize cars and there aren't that many choices of clothing that aren't shirts, pants, or shoes.
>>
>>384705818
My man

.>384707372
What part of pirate it did you not understand? Fuck, some of the people on this thread have really shitty tasteS. At least ask about a good open world game because all the ones you listed suck dick. I'm short, getter better taste
>>
>>384700981
it's probably worth it. it's pretty much two games. the offline standard game, and then online has enough content to fill another game.
>>
>>384708574
In short. Can't type today.
Also Street Fighter blows. Gett something like Blazblue instead or King of Fighters
>>
How are all these games so fucking expensive still? Are you buying them brand new or all digital?
>>
>>384707863
buy it if you play street fighter

this will sound really strange and defensive, but the majority of people shitting this game dont play fighting games. They see old articles about input lag and meme articles about "no arcade mode"

perfectly fine online multiplayer fighting games. Alex is decent as well. Mid tier with some good shennanigans. The game is as simple as street fighter has ever been and very based on rush down. My biggest complaint is that the characters have very simmilars ways of playing but i still enjoy the game overall. give it a shot and play a few online games, keep it under 2 hours and refund if you dont like it
>>
>>384708408
I'm actually pretty okay with it having less customization than the prior entries as long as what is there is polished and not just something happharzdly attached. I've had a lot of my friends say that GTA5 has great missions but there's only one or two ways to do them max. If the GTA4 sandbox is an open as you say, then GTA4 is most certainly going to be the game I pick. I remember playing GTA3 and the mission where you have to assassinate Salvatore and I was floored by how many ways I could go about it.
>I first rammed his car off the road and managed get it into the water. No idea how it happened, but it was amazing.
>I managed to flip his car and he died in the resulting explosion.
>I remember heading to teh rooftop adjacent from the sex club and picked him off with a sniper rifle.
>I drove next to his limmo and pumped enough bullets into it to arm a small nation.
>Lastly, and this one was my favorite, I parked a series of cars in front of his estate and then used grenade from afar to blow his ass up.

>>384708903
That actually sounds like a nifty idea. If you could be so kind, could you elaborate on the changes from 4 to 5 or should I just watch some documentary ish video on youtube?
>>
>>384707372
GTA IV is much like Vice City in this regard, except generally gloomier, right down to the color palette. It's a very concentrated urban environment; the only significant greenery lies is the renditions of Central Park and Flushing Park. A lot of /v/ will tell you that they found most of the city to be the same bland and dull grey, but I'm not one of them. I thought that there was a clear difference between the boroughs evident in the relative affluence of the buildings in them, and I had a lot of fun just walking around, taking everything in, watching the TV, browsing the internet, and so on. I also really recommend you use the subway system at some point; it is the most complex of the GTAs, and also serves as a useful resource for escaping the cops. The internet also helps you in that there's a site that gives you the locations of the weapons, armor, strangers, and collectibles in the game, and it's funny too, there's a site that gives you a five star wanted level for accessing it. I won't tell you what they are though, so you can find them on your own. I thought overall, it was a treat to try to find everything, especially since doing write ups on the HD GTA characters has become a sort of hobby of mine as of late.
>>
>>384708885
It would be all digital. As sad as it sounds, my roommate is a fucking dick and has stolen shit from me before and while it hasn't happened recently, I'm going to elminate the possibilty so he can't pull that. Also, I just really enjoy the conveneince of having digital copies of games that I can access from the touch of a button.

>>384709792
That all sounds absolutely amazing. The game is getting purchased today so I can firsthand experience everything there is to offer. All of my friends that played it said it sucked dick compared to 5 and that it had only about a quarter of the content as well as saying they had shit to do in the city. I'm glad to hear they more than likely just examined the surface details and didn't really dig that deep into it.
>>
>>384709670
Here's one example of the game's openness:
http://gta.wikia.com/wiki/Lure_(GTA_IV)

>There are a number of different ways to kill the man.

>Sniping him from the opposite building

Shoot the cable dish - By shooting the cable dish right outside his window, he'll get close to the malfunctioning TV and on Niko's sight. Don't take long or he'll sit down again out of sight.

Calling his number - From the opposite building, see through the snipe rifle's lens his house phone number (is 5455550122) and call him. He'll answer the phone confusing the player with somebody named "Shaniqua". This is a chance to shoot him as he's on sight.

Shooting his windows - From the opposite building, try shooting any of the glasses from the windows. This will cause him to poke his head out to see what's happening. There's a chance to snipe him.

Shooting the TV set - From the roof across the target's building, snipe the TV screen. This will also cause him to see outside his window. Snipe him as he does so.

Shoot him from the fire escape outside his apartment - It is possible to shoot him from above the fire escape of his building, but don't get too close or he'll flee.

>If the player wants to attempt to eliminate the target by making him leave his apartment, there's some options available.

Dialing the number three times or causing three of disturbances - As listed above, without shooting him will cause the target to flee the apartment.

Throwing a grenade to the window - The explosion, unfortunately, won't dispose the target but cause him to flee.

Getting too close to his window - If the player approaches the window by the fire escape and gets too close, he'll attempt to leave.

Getting him out of the safehouse will make him run to his Dukes parked outside. Destroy it before he gets in, he'll run to an alley and pull a pistol on you. You can also call one of your friends for a car bomb to blow it up with.

Cherrypicking, obviously, but it shows I'm not completely BSing.
>>
>>384710270
>>384710270
>Calling his number - From the opposite building, see through the snipe rifle's lens his house phone number (is 5455550122) and call him. He'll answer the phone confusing the player with somebody named "Shaniqua". This is a chance to shoot him as he's on sight.
This is by far my favorite one you listed.

And could you/anyone else comment on my friends comments that GTA5 is the most linear one yet? While I loved GTA3 and played that game into the ground, I also feel like it was also pretty linear so having a comparison between the two or any others would be cool.
>>
>>384710115
I would say that I'm definitely a bit biased, since I am more a fan of the lowkey, seedy shootouts in shithole areas that IV offers lots of, as opposed to the more zany stuff the other GTAs tended to offer (my favorite mission in V is one of the early hood missions for this reason), and you might not be the same, but hopefully I at least helped you see why I like it so much. It helps that I'm from NYC, so there were personal reasons behind my exploring as well. For example, my favorite album is Illmatic by Nas, and the Queensbridge Housing Projects are in the game, and it was awesome to find them.
>>
File: check.png (299KB, 599x493px) Image search: [Google]
check.png
299KB, 599x493px
But you're ready to pay full price to do exactly the same.

Are you okay, OP?
>>
File: unnamed.jpg (162KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
unnamed.jpg
162KB, 1280x720px
>>384711164
I'm kinda forced to pay full price because I'm doing for digital copies. And I'm not purchasing all of them at once, just one that I can sink some serious hours into for story reasons as well as just for dicking around and exploring what the world has to offer. And I know that all three games I listed fit the criteria of Rockstar open world game but I feel that each one should provide a different gameplay experience that separate them from other titles.
>I could be wrong and they all be a bit samey but I felt that the PS2 GTA games did a decent job differentiating themselves but that might be bcecause I'm biased and played them all years ago.
>Replaying them in preparation for this one though and while I initially had an issue with the control scheme, mods fixed that right up as well as providing a way to re-enable "trails" in VC.
>>
>>384710765
Unfortunately, that is something I would have to agree with your friends on. For V, largely because of the complaints about a lot of IV's missions having the same fundamental objectives, Rockstar went with variation in mission design and objectives as opposed to openness to the player. The heists are especially symptomatic of this philosophy; although there are plenty of ways you can change the planning stage of the heists and face the consequences of your choices, once you do play the mission and make all the choices, there really isn't much wiggle room for the player. You simply follow your objectives and watch the consequences of your choices unfold and change how much money you get. You can't do something like get a tank to help you in the heist; the game chooses what vehicles and escape routes you use. The non-heist missions are the same; there are clear boundaries in the mission, and once you get past them, you fail automatically. To play devil's advocate though, I found that the missions were very atmospheric in general despite the linearity, something that's due in part to the OST, something which V has and no other GTA has, and something which I think is rather unappreciated, I really enjoyed listening to it during the shootouts.
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.