[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The great debate.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 14

File: 1434540690114.png (427KB, 980x480px) Image search: [Google]
1434540690114.png
427KB, 980x480px
The great debate.
>>
>>384651279
PM > TTYD
>>
>>384651279
both great games

then again it's been a while since I played em so could someone point some notable downsides to both?
>>
SPM > PM > TTYD > Everything else
/v/ has grown up and stopped being rebellious by disliking SPM by now, right?
>>
>>384651279
PM has better movement and level design
TTYD has better characters, bosses (arguably), and overall writing.

Both are fantastic though.
>>
>>384651279
TTYD, but both of them are great. SPM isn't far off either.
>>
>>384651453
I know it's cool to be contrarian on an anonymous image board but this is simply not true.
>>
>>384651451
PM64
>tamer, safer style that may be a bore at times
>The prologue, Chapter 4, and Chapter 6 were slogs

TTYD
>a great deal of the game is just padding and recycling enemies/bosses
>Chapters 2, 4, 5, and 7 were slogs
>>
>>384651279
Both games are great at different things.
>>
PM is a better game.

TTYD is a better experience.

This is why people love TTYD more than PM when they compare their first playthroughs but when you replay both games, you enjoy PM a lot more instead.
>>
>>384651279

Original has a more standard but grand feeling story, and better pacing. It feels more Mario.
Thousand Year Door has way better combat and depth, and the dialogue is really good.
>>
>>384651453
>spm beating either of them
I liked it too, but come on
>>
>>384651348
First post best post.
>>
>>384651279
They're both great games and much better than everything that came after in the series. I'm hoping Nintendo wakes up one day and makes another good PM game.
>>
>>384652037
Though I'm probably biased since PM is one of my favourite games ever, TTYD on my first playthrough was a very middling experience for me at some points.

The Puni stuff in the forest chapter was grating. I noticed right away that the mansion and jungle chapters had long unnecessary backtracking, and while the train chapter had cute dialogue, it had no content. The moon chapter was a hodgepodge of re-used assets with a rehashed boss to end it off. I liked the final chapter, though.

I'll admit that TTYD started off much stronger than PM, and if it had at least another year in development to replace its blatant padding with actual content, it would indisputably be the best Paper Mario.
>>
>>384651279
TTYD has an insane amount of tedious backtracking and padding

64 is pure kino all the way through
>>
>>384651935
>Chapter 5
>a slog

i didn't like having to go back and forth in the outdoor areas, sure, but i really enjoyed this chapter regardless. maybe because i'm a sucker for pirate themed levels?
>>
>>384651279
>First Playthrough
TTYD > PM

>Subsequent Playthroughs
PM > TTYD
>>
Both are shit, best game in the franchise right here boys.
>>
File: 1485527963038.jpg (53KB, 421x421px) Image search: [Google]
1485527963038.jpg
53KB, 421x421px
>>384653226
>>
If the series had just stayed like the original Miyamoto wouldn't have had to "fix" it :(
>>
>>384651935
7 is fine after you find the General, though it's been a while.
I didn't have too much of a problem with 5, either. I'll give you 2 and 4, though.
>>
PM, cause i'll forever associate it with my innocent childhood where it was ok to enjoy things.
>>
File: connelly.jpg (164KB, 585x476px) Image search: [Google]
connelly.jpg
164KB, 585x476px
>>384651279
TTYD does what a sequel should do: expand and refine on the mechanics of the first in a natural and satisfying way like the audience or giving partners their own health pool

It also has a more interesting story (Servants of female Satan trick some guys into unsealing their queen VS another scheme by Bowser), cooler characters (having a recurring enemy eventually join your party is neat and gives you more of a connection to the character), and more creative levels than PM like a Nazi Moon Base, a floating Coliseum, and a luxury train

In addition TTYD also has an optional party member, lost of mini games and side quests, and plenty of ways to make whatever build you want including respec

All that being said PM is also a great game and it kills me that this style of Paper Mario is dead
>>
>>384653542
>7 is fine after you find the General, though it's been a while.

Not exactly.

They could've done a lot more with the moon setting (barren wasteland where you can fight 2 recoloured enemies and nothing else), and we've already seen most of the X-Naut headquarters as Peach. The boss wasn't too interesting either since it was basically the same boss from Chapter 2 but with two more moves.
>>
>>384651279
Both great games, overall I prefered TTYD. The writing seemed to be a bit better, character development was decent, and some settings were really nice. But I think that PM had a better pacing.
>>
Why does no one ever seem to bring up PM's seeds when talking about backtracking? If you don't know it's coming it's a huge hassle.
>>
>>384651453
SPM had some pretty cool elements to it and desu it was my first ever paper mario.

But PM is a lot better.

TTYD is overrated babbys first rpg
>>
>>384651348
By a mile, too
>>
>>384651279
They're both literally the greatest video games ever made
I hope Kawade comes back from Paper Fire Emblem for Paper Mario 6
>>
>>384651453
SPM is a good game.
However, it isn't Paper Mario, except in name.
>>
>>384652037
I could agree with this. The areas and feel of most places in TTYD are actually amazing. Probably some of the best that Nintendo has ever done. I feel like the only areas that really hold up on repeat plays of the game though are the Rogueport itself and the Blitz Pit. I also have a lot of fondness for the train, but that's just the atmosphere. It isn't nearly as fun doing it twice. In fucking twilight town you need to go through that same path, both ways, like 3 times.

I feel like the best parts of the game are completely separated from the combat, like exploring Rogueport. When the game does have enemies, it ends up just being literal hallways of fights and it ends up being a bit of slog.

I haven't actually played the original PM, mostly because last time I wanted to, N64 emulators were still crap and couldn't do it without glitches. Do N64 emulators work by now?
>>
>>384656298
Play the virtual console version on Dolphin it works fine
>>
>>384656473
>Promoting Nintendo's VC for anything
>>
File: seriously.jpg (127KB, 550x550px) Image search: [Google]
seriously.jpg
127KB, 550x550px
>>384656545
The man asked what the best way to emulate PM was and I told him it was Nintendo's own emulator what's your deal

wads on dolphin run infinitely better than that piece of shit PJ64
>>
>>384653816
>TTYD does what a sequel should do: expand and refine on the mechanics of the first in a natural and satisfying way like the audience or giving partners their own health pool

While that is true, it scaled back on its overworld design on top of increasing the amount of padding, something that a sequel shouldn't do. The latter is especially noticeable and kills the pacing of the game at several moments. And while the battle mechanics are undoubtedly superior, they were somewhat lost on the swaths of reused enemies you had to face.

>It also has a more interesting story

That's debatable. TTYD's overarching story wasn't revolutionary or original, and neither was PM64's.

> cooler characters (having a recurring enemy eventually join your party is neat and gives you more of a connection to the character)

I'll give it to TTYD when it came to partners. They did a lot more overall compared to PM64's, which remained mostly silent and undeveloped except for Goombario.

>more creative levels than PM like a Nazi Moon Base, a floating Coliseum, and a luxury train

Creative settings don't make a level, execution does. Excess Express, for example, could've done a lot more to be an actual realized train level than being just a handful of rooms in a cramped train.

>In addition TTYD also has an optional party member,

Doesn't really matter since PM64 still has more partners overall. (8 > 7)

>lost of mini games and side quests

PM64 also had mini-games, and the Trouble Center quests were nothing special.
>>
PM64 was a lot more /comfy/ for me, but the train chapter in TTYD was pure kino
>>
Original has the best overworld

TTYD has the best characters and gameplay

SPM has better writing and overall situation

SS and CS has the best puzzles
>>
>>384656298
The Glide64 plugin for PJ64 fixes a lot of graphical errors including the flickering textures in Toad Town.
>>
>>384656941
>Creative settings don't make a level
Strongly disagree. PM's generic castle/desert/island/forest levels were not all that great. Most where just, go right until you have to go left for a bit then keep going right.

What TTYD did with the arena and train level (just a few rooms being the best parts of the game) is exceptional level design. The levels told the story instead of just being an interchangeable backdrop.
>>
TTYD is better if you only like the combat, PM has better everything else.

Until a few days ago when
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxr5B0qZ8i0
came out. Now PM is better in every single way.

>What TTYD did with the arena and train level (just a few rooms being the best parts of the game) is exceptional level design.

Those are the two worst chapters and literally don't even have level design (except the intermission part where you leave the train)....
>>
File: Paper Mario Fangame.jpg (429KB, 1440x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Paper Mario Fangame.jpg
429KB, 1440x1080px
On the topic of Paper Mario, think this will be decent?
I'm genuinely curious to be totally honest.
>>
>>384656684
>PJ64
Well there's your problem. Mupen64 in Retroarch is way better. If you want to know how good your N64 emulator is, just try playing Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon.
>>
>>384657443
I wouldn't call Glitzville's level design of facing 20 regular enemies with arbitrary restrictions exceptional. It was "different", but it wasn't anything special on its own considering how they executed the idea.

Plus, Excess Express's level design was literally what you said about PM64's levels. Walk right to the back of the train, talk to someone, walk right all the way to the front of the train to talk to someone again, and so on. PM64's had the decency to give you wider areas so you could walk in more than just two directions, on top of having puzzles and more areas overall.
>>
File: 1463350508662.png (221KB, 656x703px) Image search: [Google]
1463350508662.png
221KB, 656x703px
>>384658020
>I wouldn't call Glitzville's level design of facing 20 regular enemies with arbitrary restrictions exceptional.
Because it wasn't.
It was 4-5 regular fights with arbitrary restrictions, followed by regular plot breaks, and various different interactions with NPC's.

Im guessing you just never left the locker room, never went to the juice bar after every match to chat up everyone and see the Great Gonzales name become more popular, never saw the massive crowds swarm in for the hawk fights, all the little things that turned what would be a generic tournament into an immersive murder mystery / 0 to hero story.
>>
File: 1495392981387.jpg (51KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
1495392981387.jpg
51KB, 300x300px
TTYD by far

You fucks lied to me with PM64 being better.
I enjoyed nearly every part of TTYD more.

Both are fantastic 9/10 games though.
>>
Best of PM > Best of M&L > SMRPG > Worst of M&L > Worst of PM
>>
>>384659040
>Both are fantastic 9/10 games though.
Yea thats really it. PM is your normal fun mushroom kingdom adventure, then TTYD comes along and says "ok I bet your tired of the mushroom kingdom, so check out this whole new kingdom, also we made the partners better".
>>
>>384651279
The great debate.
>>
File: file.png (118KB, 273x370px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
118KB, 273x370px
>>384656020
>you now realize there are more nuPaper Mario games than rpg Paper Marios
Is it technically correct to state a true Paper Mario game isn't rpg? (please note true=/= good)
>>
>>384659550
Color Splash > Sticker Shart.
>>
>>384659550
Color Splash is just Sticker Star with effort put into it.
>>
>>384657920
it is shit

the trailer literally showed that it will be 6 fights only.
>>
>SPM master race
>>
File: IMG_20170224_013616.jpg (330KB, 1601x1201px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170224_013616.jpg
330KB, 1601x1201px
>>384651279
The fatass ghost bitch in TTYD ruined it
>>
File: Paper Mario.jpg (616KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Paper Mario.jpg
616KB, 1920x1080px
>>384656473
But you can't use filters on Dolphin or VC.

If you don't have a CRT, this is the only way to play.
>>
Paper Mario didn't have a single bad chapter. TTYD had several. This is indisputable.
>>
>>384659805
Even so, it is free. If the fights are good, that's fine.
>>
there's no debate, 64 is better because all its aspects are better than the TTYD counterparts minus the combat
Thread posts: 59
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.