[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Alright, imma need you to list some RPGs with good turn-based

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 3

Alright, imma need you to list some RPGs with good turn-based combat and why they're good and not just tedious menu scrolling.

I'll go ahead and just say you can't say any of the Mario RPGs because that's too easy.
>>
>>384649690
nocturne has a great combat system
mother 3 has a good one
chrono trigger is good
breath of fire 4 is good

there you go
each have unique mechanics and some have big combo moves so it isnt just a slog like final fantasy or dragon quest there you go.
>>
File: Wizardry_8_box.jpg (28KB, 389x500px) Image search: [Google]
Wizardry_8_box.jpg
28KB, 389x500px
>>
>>384650139
Ever since I played Persona 3 Portable I've been unable to enjoy any jrpg that isn't SMT/Persona.
>>
>>384649690
I couldn't resist. I like valkyrie profile's combat is some of my favorite. I like how you have to chain together combos to break guards and each character ends up having there on fighting style, but it never feels out of place in the overall team composition. I like how they handled familiars and magic so that even on a magic users cool down they can still contribute to breaking enemy guards. I like how even on enemy turns you can counter attack.I could go on, but I'm half asleep. It's definitely one of the more active and rewarding turnbased combat systems I've play around with. I also like how characters aren't restricted to their combos strings later on and as you explore you can find new attacks and counter moves to give you a few more options in combat. The only menu scrolling you'd ever really do is to use an item or a different spell otherwise you can macro your main spell and and attacks can be chained however you like by just presiing whatever buttons you have your characters set too.

>>384650139
>>384650787

also I love those games, but you were supposed to explain why those combat systems were good and not tedious menu scrolling
>>
Bump, also I'm typing shit up.
>>
File: 36625-Breath_of_Fire_IV_[U]-1.png (45KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
36625-Breath_of_Fire_IV_[U]-1.png
45KB, 320x240px
>>384649690
I actually love the games listed in >>384650139 so I'll explain them for this anon.
>SMT: Nocturne
Press Turn is a fun system as it encourages you to think about your demons and and their abilities. Also grinding is pretty pointless as grinding is long and barely helps you.
>Mother 3
Although the previous two games are kind of just DQ clones, I love that personally but some might not, Mother 3 introduces a interesting combo system. If you mash the attack button to the beat of the song in battle. With around 50 songs that can play in battle this becomes quite interesting. Also while useful the combo system isn't entire necessary to beat the game, but it helps.
>Chrono Trigger
Just a tight and fun system. While pretty basic the double and triple techs encourage experimentation in your team, it helps that while some characters are better then other everyone is usable.
>Breath of Fire IV
My personal favorite turn based battle system in a jrpg. In combat all your party members are in battle, however you only have three turns. With this you are able to change what three characters are in the front row, the ones who will take damage, and in the back. To make it even better you can combo magic. Say you use a wind spell and then a fire spell, these spells will act standard. However, if you follow a fire spell with a wind spell, each spell has a order and work off each other, then the wond attack becomes a new, stronger attack. I can't explain as great as I want to but it a phenomenal system.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.