[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is grinding good or bad?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 3

File: 1398187874360.jpg (137KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
1398187874360.jpg
137KB, 720x960px
Is grinding good or bad?
>>
Good, because it's pure gameplay without shit like story weighing it down.
>>
>>384630787
Depends. I enjoy it for the most part, but I'm likely in the minority
>>
>>384630787
Necessitating grinding is usually bad.

Allowing grinding as an "easy out" for when a player's strategy is lacking in basically always a good thing in story based games to allow players to see more of the plot even if they're bad at the game.
>>
It generally has to exist in a lot of games, but the real measure of good or bad is how well the game disguises the grind.
>>
>>384630787
The question is not is grinding good or bad, but if the combat system is good or bad and how well they hide it.
>>
>>384630787
grinding should always be optional not manditory
>>
>>384630787
I think you should be able to beat every game at the lowest possible level on skill alone.

If games force me to grind just to become strong enough to continue, even if I'm making all the right moves, then fuck that game.
>>
It's a leftover of shitty 80's game design where they wanted to brag about the hundreds of hours of playtime on the box to justify the usually higher price of the cartridge.
>>
File: 1484930412455.jpg (50KB, 640x448px) Image search: [Google]
1484930412455.jpg
50KB, 640x448px
>>384630787
depends on the stage design
>>
>>384630787
It depends on the amount and the reward I guess. Grinding to 99 firemaking in Runescape takes literal weeks of your life to do, but you get a fucking sickass cape from it.
>>
>>384630787
there's something wrong with your dog
>>
There's good grinding and bad grinding.
>>
>>384630787
grinding is a cheap way to stretch out content and/or play time. instead of killing a boss once and getting the item you need you kill it until rng gives you the item you need.
>>
>>384630787
what happened to your dick anon
>>
in moderatino
>>
>>384630787
is that cat ok?
>>
>>384630787
For main story progression, bad. You shouldn't have a wall thrown in front of you because you haven't spent enough hours killing moles and boars in the hills and valleys. For side and end-game content, it's all good.

There are exceptions where, depending on your tastes, grinding is the whole point, like Monster Hunter, but the game is built to reward and engage the player for grinding, rather than just using it to pad out hours between the REAL game, like Borderlands and Destiny.
>>
>>384630787
How did it get in there?
>>
>>384630787
Horrible and I hate it.
>>
>>384634653
Lots of small animals can compress their bones. Even more small animals are dumb and can't figure out what to do once they're stuck somewhere.
>>
>>384630787
The lizard is ok, right?
>>
>>384630787
it looks like it's saying "oh fuck, nigga".>>384630913
>>
>>384630787
>ability to repeat fun gameplay and use gains as a means for the player to adjust the game's difficulty to their preference

Good.

>necessary to mindlessly slog through boring non-content or otherwise arbitrarily delay the player's progress without meaningful context or challenge

Bad. One could argue that only this latter definition constitutes actual "grind" however.
>>
>>384634086
>>384634507
>>384634948
epic posts my fellow redditors
>>
>>384630787
I would say it depends on the game. Resonance of Fate falls flat on its face, but its whole thing is grinding combat, hoping against hope for a certain coloures hexagon. And the combat itself is to rigid and inflexible to be enjoyable for hours.

A good grind is Skyrim, where your skills increase depending on how much you use that particular skill. It does nothing to prevent you from exploring and completing quests, and incentives the player to explore and fight, since theres a reward for it. HOWEVER skyrim fucks up by not giving exp for completing quests. Removes any incentive to go trekking for 30 mins.

A good grind isnt forced, is enjoyable and you don't even notice it.
>>
>>384636383
yeah, i got a you out of it any way
thanks man
see you on reddit later
>>
>>384630787
In moderation, good.
Being necessary everywhere and/or needing to spend 5 IRL days for one thing, bad.
>>
File: 1500139271366.gif (1MB, 348x271px) Image search: [Google]
1500139271366.gif
1MB, 348x271px
I came here to save that picture.
I refuse to contribute to ypur tgread productively.
>>
The concept isn't necessarily bad but mandatory grinding is, granted that kind of grinding is just part of the eternal RPG difficulty issue where anything can ultimately be overcome by " just grind bro".
>>
Grinding is SHIT.
The only reason you have to grind is because you need to acquire something whether it be an RNG item or levels that didn't naturally occur in the process of playing the game normally.
Its clearly an unintentional design outlet that shows lack the devs concern for good pacing and that they didn't try the game out for themselves.
>>
>>384630787
REALLY good because its the closest I can get to an ass
>>
is it dead?
>>
>>384640841
Negative, catsnek is fine. They can, will, and enjoy, getting into everything.
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.