[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is a game that is so creative, so beautifully crafted, so

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 154
Thread images: 15

File: C6kTCwTWcAI4aZ_.jpg (172KB, 900x1200px) Image search: [Google]
C6kTCwTWcAI4aZ_.jpg
172KB, 900x1200px
What is a game that is so creative, so beautifully crafted, so perfectly made, that instead of feeling that typical consumer-esque pleasure that one gets from playing a game every once in a while, it resonates with your soul, and you can't help but cry, not because it's sad, but just because it's beauty is so intense?

Has this yet to occur within the videogame medium?

Is this the closest we've ever gotten to it?
>>
File: OkamiHD.png (638KB, 704x396px) Image search: [Google]
OkamiHD.png
638KB, 704x396px
>>384571903
NieR: Automata was crazy good but I'd wholeheartedly recommend Okami just as much.
>>
>>384572360
Okami came close as well but it didn't give me the those tears that other mediums have given me.
>>
File: 70 million years.jpg (136KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
70 million years.jpg
136KB, 1920x1080px
>>384572415
I dunno man, I definitely did cry when Issun makes the people you've met during your journey believe in the gods again.

Some other games that touched me deeply were Shadow of the Colossus, Journey, Steins;Gate (+Zero), SOMA and Prince of Persia: Sands of Time. I really hope Yoko Taro gets an even higher budget for his next big project, I've heard he wanted to do Witcher 3 type story DLC but Square Enix told him to fuck off, which is why some story elements can only be found in side material.
>>
File: weaponfu.jpg (279KB, 1192x525px) Image search: [Google]
weaponfu.jpg
279KB, 1192x525px
Aesthetically speaking, this game has some of my favorite weapons in any game. Type 40 weapons look fucking slick.
>>
>>384571903
It's not really THAT good.
>>
I am interested in getting this game. PC or PS4?
>>
>>384572360
Okami's Sun Rises was one of a few moments that actually managed to really move me. Certainly up there alongside both Niers.
>>
>>384573501
PC version does have issues, but some say that it works on their machine. You could try it on PC and refund it if you encounter any issues.
>>
>>384573501
Well, obviously PC if you don't have a toaster, but I heard that the port is kind of shit and you have to fix with mods. Convenience wise, I'd say go for PS4 or Pro, it aims for 60 either way.
>>
>>384573501
PS4 (Pro) if your PC isn't too powerful.
If you get it on PC, just install the Fix Automata Resolution mod and you're good to go.
>>
>>384573012
>this thing is a gift from 21O to 9S
>9S is probably the best character to use with large swords
Upgraded this beauty and never removed it for the entire route C.
>>
Bloodborne.

Automata is good but the story was too janky for me to give it higher than 7/10, the music is god tier though
>>
>>384573635
Bloodborne's story (whatever is there) is janky too, arguably more janky.
>>
>>384573601
>>384573594
>>384573569
thx bros
>>
>>384573710
Main game? Sure. It has its spots.

The Old Hunter's outclassed everything released that year tho.
>>
Soundtrack is one of the GOAT

Story, feels, immersion, voice acting, etc.-wise Witcher 3 still better.

Combat was good but not all that exceptional.
>>
>>384571903
Nice to see a fellow homosexual!
>>
>>384573012
But that's just a buster sword knock off, with materia slots and all.
>>
>>384573942
>Witcher 3
Lmao
M
A
O
>>
>>384571903
The metal gear series, to an extent. After going through the good boy route on both games on hardcore mode, and milking what it has to offer, I think I've added the metro games to my list. The Bioshock series has always been really comfy. Isn't soma a shitty survival horror, or does it go deep?
>>
>>384573942
Witcher's 3 overall story is fucking disgrace that is greatly hampered by Ciri being an insufferable mary sue cunt just like she was in books. It has a few good side stories, but Automata absolutely destroys it on a grand scale of things and actually has a powerful positive message behind it which is incredibly rare for video games.
>>
>>384574078
The Metro series actually is kino, good to see someone else recognize it.
>>
>>384571903
I'm on my second playthrough, playing as 9ass. So far this game has exceeded my expectations. I thought it was just a meme pushed by waifufags, but it's actually quite good. May be my 2017 goty, but that's mostly because games released this year have been pretty mediocre. It does have its flaws though, with both the story and gameplay, but I can't stop playing it. A solid 8/10 so far.
>>
>>384574131
TW3 is a TV show pretending to be a game

Stories having a positive message isnt rare in videogames, if anything its rare for game stories to have any message at all.
>>
>>384574141
Any other shooters/games that are similar story wise? Keep in mind I'm console fag until i save up enough money.
>>
File: Type-4O_Blade.jpg (20KB, 300x142px) Image search: [Google]
Type-4O_Blade.jpg
20KB, 300x142px
>>384574021
I think it looks sleeker and more lean than the buster sword. And the lightning effect is a nice effect. Advent Children buster sword is up there for me though.
>>
>>384574284
I'm afraid its one of a kind. The closest you can get is Stalker, but only the first one.
>>
>>384574062
> pathetic anime waifu shit

lol
>>
>>384574131
Hearts of stone is good, way better than the main story.
>>
>>384571903
>perfect game
>character development and 50% of playtime wasted on 9S
>>
>>384574431
not him but Witcher has waifs
>>
>>384574375
Damn. I did hear there's another metro game coming out soonish though, hopefully it shapes up to the other two. I feel kind of jaded to the modern video game scene though, so I'm really hoping they don't fuck it up.
>>
>>384573012
The 4O weapons were the best looking, but I hate the electricity effect after fully upgrading them. I have to listen to that shit loudly buzzing on my character constantly when I'm not even in combat.
>>
>>384574478
4A are good devs, you can look forward to Exodus being a damn fine game.

I feel you on being jaded. The only other game I'm looking forward to is Frozen Synapse 2. I'm in the beta and fell in love already.
>>
>>384571903
It was a great experience but the gameplay isn't very good, so it definitely isn't any kind of milestone as a video game
>>
>>384574510
>>384574665

4u
>>
So, I got spoiled and now I know that you play as 9S and A2 and that you must delete your save at the end.

Will I still find Automata as good as people make it out be?
>>
>>384572780
I find it really funny that we have the exact same taste in games
>>
>>384574846
no it's utter shit now
>>
>>384574846
The game is ok, if you want to play it don't let people overhype it for you and leave this thread before you get spoiled again.
>>
To be fair, NieR 1 hits harder than NieR: Automata.
>>
>>384574846
You have to, but that doesn't mean you'll lose your save. Just make a back up.
>>
>>384574846
I beat it and it became my favorite game ever with that exact same knowledge. Borrow it from a library to try, it should only take a week or two to beat.
>>
>>384572780
>I've heard he wanted to do Witcher 3 type story DLC but Square Enix told him to fuck off, which is why some story elements can only be found in side material.

There's always some asshole trying to play beyond their means and the entire project suffers for it.

Xenogears/Saga (worst offender)
FF15
Almost every Taro project (Drakengard 1 least offensive)

List goes on.

Fucking hell devs whatever happened to just doing one (1) good thing and not banking on endless add-on's and sequels?

>>384574960
Nier 1 definitely left a stronger impression on me than Automata, but I'd say Automata shines the most in its sidequests than the main story. Nier 1 is the more rounded experience imo.
>>
>>384571903
Unironically Undertale.
Also the end of MGS3.
>>
File: 1500162386452.gif (3MB, 393x443px) Image search: [Google]
1500162386452.gif
3MB, 393x443px
I can't play games like Bayonetta or DMC to save my life
is Automata similar?
>>
>>384575363
No, its a lot simpler.
>>
>>384575363
No. Its button mash as hell complete with "Tap R to Awesome"

Story was the focus this time around, dont expect anything too crazy
>>
>>384575363
No it isn't
>>
>>384574239
>Stories having a positive message isnt rare in videogames
TRYING to have a positive message, you mean. Which usually devolves to something that sounds either absolutely out of place or straight pretentious. None of them went as far as Automata with ending E.
>>
>>384574846
>you must delete your save
you're not forced to delete your save file.
>>
>>384574960
Nier loses already because its true ending is not in the game.
>>
>>384575553
MGS2 did everything Automata was trying to do without being awkward as hell about it. Hell even MGS1 did if you look close enough.

Besides that, Automata has the nice message and 4th wall play, but how it actually handled its characters is some of the most head-ache inducing shit I've seen in a while.
>>
>>384571903

I had that feeling for the first 20-30 hours, but the game became such a half-assed mess in the second half I was only happy to play something else after
>>
>>384575713
Nier 1's true ending is shit so its actually not a loss. The game did everything it needed to do at Ending B.
>>
Breath of the Wild
>>
>>384575042
>>384574949
I actually own the game already. Haven't finished it because of P5, mainly; will def try to finish it this weekend, though. I only hope that it's on par with Nier and Drakengard's final boss.
>>
>>384574960
I feel the same way
>>
>>384571903
What are you on about?
It's a mind-numbing slog with half assed mechanics and a dull, unengaging combat system. The environments are boring and the enemies are generic. Never mind the shitty tumbl-tier story. Read a book some time you faggots.
>>
>>384575870
>MGS2 did everything Automata was trying to do
Hey remember that part of MGS2 when you break the pre-determined narrative together with other players to counter the main themes developers tried to instil upon you?
>>
>>384576780

Gotta love how a SHMUP any high school kid would be able to code over a weekend is suddenly the greatest video game innovation of the century just because of "muh themes"
>>
>>384575713
That was the weakest short story anyway.
>>
>>384575870
Ironically, Automata did everything MGSV was trying to do without being unfinished and shit
>>
File: db9.jpg (311KB, 914x693px) Image search: [Google]
db9.jpg
311KB, 914x693px
>>384576729
>"T-tumblr!!!"
>>
>>384576929
And a book is just a set of sheets of paper.
So what?
What matters is how it's used.
>>
>>384571903
I used to feel that way playing WoW but it was for pretty much every factor except the story.
>>
>>384577082
Sonic was never good either.
>>
>>384576780
Thats what I meant about it being awkward. What they did was cute but if they wanted a happy ending so badly then why not write one where the characters in question actually deserve it?

As it stands Ending E only has meaning for the Pods. Its pointless for the Androids as their story was already finished in Ending C/D

Meanwhile MGS2 handles its meta aspects much more seamlessly without cotnradicting itself or being too heavy-handed. Raiden tossing away the dogtag was a subtle nod that said much
>>
>>384577019
It really didnt, but MGSV is shit though
>>
>>384571903
But all those things besides gameplay are more true about Nier then Automata. Which its true about Automata as well just not as prominent.
>>
>>384577578
>actually deserve it
You mean like 2B and 9S who has such a strong affection to each other it transcended even death in the end?
>>
>>384577801
Oh, that forced drama thats literally on par with Madoka? With a pathetic co-dependant relationship only Neets could take seriously? No. A2 was too good to be so tied to those lousy, overwrought characters.

9S was only good when he finally fucked off and died. 2B had potential but it got nuked because she was forced to be the "MC".
>>
File: 1498903643827.jpg (134KB, 774x692px) Image search: [Google]
1498903643827.jpg
134KB, 774x692px
>>384577986
Oh, we have an expert here!
>>
>>384574846
You weren't spoilered
Just don't expect anything more than a pretty enjoyable game with simple but fun combat, a decent 2deep4u story, shit graphics and a really good OST
Have fun
>>
>>384571903
The 2 Nier games and MGS 2 and 3 are the only games to do this to me.
>>
>>384578075
You can do better, sweetie.

9S and 2B were actually off to a good start with their budding camraderie but as soon as it tried to fast forward that with OMG I HAVE LOVED YOU FOR LIKE EVER AND EVER IT HURTS SO MUCH the whole thing just became stupid.

It wasnt even a bad idea wither, but there are an infinite number of ways it couldve been handled better. For starters let us actually get a feel of 2Bs real thoughts. If you let your just going to hide most of your POV characters thoughts because its a spoiler then why even bother making that character a POV? Someone didnt think that through.
>>
>>384578649
>a pair of 3 years old children living in extremely hostile world develop close relationships to each other
Call the presses.
>i didn't notice a shitload of implications about real 2B's thoughts thrown around for the entire route A
Your fault.
>>
File: 1486003664086.jpg (11KB, 194x211px) Image search: [Google]
1486003664086.jpg
11KB, 194x211px
>>384578075
>BTFO
>>
>>384578784
Pff, dont pretend there was so much subtle points for 2B as a character, there wasnt. If anything other characters just reflected what her relationship with 9S actually was (Amnesia, Wandering Couple, etc)

Dont bring up that 3 year old bullshit because the game never made a poiny of that. If youre going to use lore fluff to back up shoddy storytelling then dont respond lmao.
>>
>>384578970
>there was so much subtle points for 2B as a character
There's A LOT of moments on first two routes that give subtle implications about her true feelings and world view.
>because the game never made a poiny of that
For half of the game you see them spending their time together while being thrown alone into a world full of dangers.
On top of that you can see how awkward and inexperienced both of them are about everything that doesn't concern combat.
Sorry that you're too retarded to understand this, anon.
>>
Game is cool as shit but the loading times are abhorrent. Just finished my first playthrough, but I'm not sure I have the patience to start a second one right now.
>>
>>384579220
Nice goalpost faggot. Two people coming together under duress is fine and not unbeleivable at all, but youre bringing up "muh 3 year olds" like it means anything. I already mentioned how their camradeire was nice before they tried to force them to kiss like two barbie dolls.

2B compared to every other character is ultimately barely a character, and her details being subtle dosent make it a good or wise decision. They were better off committing fully to 9S's POV and giving 2B a more active role as a sidekick since thats ultimately what she is.

In the end, Automata is a case study if good characters that are horribly utilized. But thankfully theres other good aspects like the music
>>
>>384579581
>but youre bringing up "muh 3 year olds" like it means anything
It actually does because you can see their complete lack of experience in dealing with vast majority of out of combat situations they encounter. Starting with enormous spaghetti drop when child machine asks that innocent question about making children and ending with total inability of 9S to deal with major psychological trauma after losing her.
>2B compared to every other character is ultimately barely a character
No need to confirm that you were playing this game with your ass, sunshine.
>>
>>384577321
same, until I learned that Thrall is pretty much Metzen mary sued self insert and the blatant pushing for Horde being good boys and dindus
>>
>>384571903
for me it was all of dark souls. 1,2,3. i don't get the shitflinging between 2 and 3 fans, all the games are fucking amazing. bloodborne is below them simply because im absolutely fascinated by gritty medieval settings
>>
Have to begrudgingly agree with this pretentious post.

>dat world
>dat soundtrack
>dat story
>dat existential theme

Really made me think and feel real feels
>>
>>384579767
Them being 3 years old is completely after the fact. You might as well say "nanomachines" to excuse how pitiful the whole thing is.

We'll agree to disagree about 2B, I still think she was wasted as a character, but I think what was even worse was making A2 a sounding board for 9S's bullshit. She barely had a reason to be around them but she was and her "arc" was so rushed it wasnt even funny. (Maybe too much time spent with the blando commandos)

But this is all way off point, I'll reiterate that everything about the Androids was more or less complete in Ending C/D. So regarding Ending E they are more like plot devices for the better characters (Pods)
>>
>>384580274
>dark souls
>lore
>literally pulling shit out of your ass to explain stuff
good one
>>
File: 1500468194403.jpg (99KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1500468194403.jpg
99KB, 1280x720px
>that entire Tower ascend
>9S gets mad as fuck and launches ball boss higher and higher while Bipolar Nightmare plays
That was fucking perfect.
>>
>>384580361
>Them being 3 years old is completely after the fact
It can't be after the fact simply because it's a major reason why both of them behave the way they do.
Taro himself started that "uneasy children without parents" is one of the major themes of Automata.
>everything about the Androids was more or less complete in Ending C/D
No, it wasn't. The theme of tools of humanity gaining their own self-awareness and goals in life is central for both Nier games, not just Automata. Ending E is a culmination of that theme where they quite literally destroy the narrative humans instilled upon them all those centuries ago. It's also a logical continuation of ending D where machine network understood a similar thing and pulled itself out from a conflict.
>>
>>384580363
i like filling in the gaps, it's what i would expect in a video game setting that takes place among the ruins of long-lost civilizations & shit. adding to that, it has a sort of cryptic feel that gets me every time. from this point of view, bloodborne was better. i absolutely did not expect lovecraft-tier shit
>>
>>384573616

Shit, really? I'm on route B just about to fight Adam and Eve. Where do you get it?
>>
>>384580459
O
>>
>>384580920
>i like filling in the gaps
The only soulsborne games where it's actually possible because a lot of stuff is implied is DeS and BB.
When it comes to Dark Souls games, you literally need to pull shit out of your own ass to do that. I understand that it was a conscious choice but when Ringed City removed the only throwback to Manus from item descriptions with a patch it was fucking outrageous because they truly want you to continue baseless speculations instead of cracking a puzzle.
>>
>Automata
>beautifully made
>perfect

Automatafags I swear to God. Do you people just never, ever play Jap games? So when you bought the game for 2B's ass (like the vast majority of you did) and you werre hit by Taro's style of story telling for the first time it's the greatest game ever? Let's not even get into how dull the gameplay was, and that it managed to have far less enjoyable bosses than the first game. Automata utterly reeked of budget contraints.
>>
>>384581061
Complete Data Analysis Freak and Data Analysis Freak 2.
>>
>>384580767
That narrative break youre describing is particular to the pods because theyre thr ones who actually do it. All the Androids (9S, 2B) really acomplished was self-sabotage while running around headless, except maybe A2 who just wanted to die.

I would have loved to see them actually fulfill that same role, since that wouldve integrated them better into the story imo, but they didnt.
>>
>>384581224
Most people who jerk off Automata are newfags.

I appreciate it being a half-functional game and at least better than DoD3, but it dosent reach the same heights as Nier 1 or Drakengard 1, and sometimes just feels like Taro doing what he thinks people think he does.
>>
>>384581340
>is particular to the pods
Which only makes it stronger because Pods weren't made by humans but rather created as tools by androids.
If they can break their base programming and gain consciousness despite being a complete soulless tools in the beginning of the game, so can the androids and machines too.

Both 9S and 2B break their programming over the course of a game but they became victims of circumstances which led them to undeserving demise Pods decide to correct. They were more than worthy of getting another shot at life and without them Pods would never manage to awaken their self-consciousness.
>>
>>384581224
whats the problem of coming for the ass and staying for everything else?
>>
>>384581512
Automata is better than DoD 1 by a longshot
>>
>>384581726
I dont neccesarily agree that 9S/2B broke their programming since it was always established that Androids had wills of their own and could defect. That implies its part of their "programming".

And I dont bekeive they really became victims of circumstance. 2B did her best to the end and that was a nobke exit, but 9S just completely shit the bed for no real reason so I was haply to see him grow up just as he was about to die. I didnt feel like they needed anything more than that. But if they really needed to have more, then they shoulve been the ones to fight for their lives, not the pods.
>>
>>384581931
Respectfully disagree.
>>
>>384574846
I got spoiled on that and the humans on the moon and i still would rate my experience 9/10 tb h senpai
>>
>>384581992
>9S/2B broke their programming
They both were implanted with powerful programming that forced them to love humans.
2B wants to kill the "god" in the beginning of route A already. 9S is absolutely indifferent to fate of humanity at the end of D despite the fact he can feel implanted emotions towards them so he decided to simply wipe everything out because he lost his reason to live, 2B.

On top of that 2B is programmed as a E model yet she sacrifices herself for a guy she loves while 9S is programmed as a curious easygoing Scanner yet he goes in a single most devastating one-man genocide crusade in the game. It's a tragic chain of events that leads them to death and both of them couldn't do anything about it before N2 evolved and changed its mind after observing 9S.

Pods were the only characters who could make a change in this situation and oh boy they did.
>>
>>384582116
Fair enough, I can see why you would prefer Drakengard, that game truly is one of a kind
>>
>>384574846

I got spoiled that 2B dies and it destroyed about 88% of the impact
>>
>>384582414
I can agree somewhat with how 9S became an unstoppable monster, but didnt they already say S models were like that? Its part of their imperfect design, so what did he really break? And with 2B its hard to think she acomplished some big feat of resistance when we know Andriods in general are capable of defecting or refusing their roles (Amnesia and so many others).

I think it would have been more effective if we were to see them be the only ones breaking that programming, or at least spearheading it. Otherwise it just seems like business as usual.
>>
>>384581512
>and sometimes just feels like Taro doing what he thinks people think he does.
That was DoD3 though.
>>
>>384576729
Okay, tell me what books you read.
>>
>>384573601
Didnt the creator of that mod get incredibly butthurt because people were pirating the game? I remember him making an ass outbof himself
>>
>>384582873
>but didnt they already say S models were like that
Nah. Usually S models can't even hold melee weapons. 9S is a top of the line model but without his sheer dedication and murder boner he wouldn't be slaughtering flight units on foot.
Hell, in prequel novel he surprises even 2B.
>>
>>384571903
Play the original
>>
>>384583196
He did, but it was also open source and when he started bragging about being an asshat people simply removed that part of the code.
>>
>>384583114
DoD3 actually was the worst offender of that, but Automata still had it too.

At a certain point you could safely expect every sidequest to have some downer twist, the endings to get batshit, etc.
>>
>>384583346
I don't think anybody expected 9S to literally fall on top of a sword though.
>>
File: 1472215998685.png (227KB, 557x383px) Image search: [Google]
1472215998685.png
227KB, 557x383px
I just wanted more A2
>>
>>384583925

Same. She really was just a third wheel with nothing to justify her presence in the story. Expected something way better
>>
>>384584103
Fucking Square-Enix jews, man. Automata DLC would be insta-buy for me, just like TW3 ones were
>>
>>384571903
It would be if the gameplay was better.
>>
>>384575252
holy shit this is exactly the way I think about automata and the first one, the sidequests were really better than the main story this time around for sure, way better.
>>
So what is the big deal with this game? I enjoyed it but I see a major disconnect between how I felt about it and the insane praise I keep seeing from so many people.

I feel like there was a ton of fluff, a dozen references to famous philosophers in a very typical japanese anime/game way (as in mostly references for the sake of referencing and not necessarily in a thematically relevant or profound way), cute quirky sidequests that everyone seems to get a lot more meaning from than I did, and an ending where a couple of robots that were programmed to go along with a plan that involved the death of the main characters develop some sense of will and decide to go against their programming and save them, which was cool but again, not really feeling the landmark masterpiece of existentialism that people keep going on about.

Maybe I'm a brainlet and I should just stick to Platinum's dumber games.
>>
>>384585313
It's the most polished of Taro's games with the most exposure and the most sales. Most of the people haven't touched the prior games so it leaves a bigger impact on them than if you've already played Nier or Drakengard.
>>
>>384585587
It was my first Taro game too, I just want to feel what everyone else is feeling. I see people getting super excited over this game and I wish I could get that feeling too, rather than just enjoying it normally.
>>
>>384571903
I felt like that until I had to play as 9S.
>>
>>384585313
If you are a fan of platinum you probably value gameplay higher than other aspects and automatas gameplay when compared to other platinum's games felt kinda lackluster. It was definetly better than the first one in that sense but in story the first one is better imo.
>>
>>384571903
I got bored after reaching the white paper place with te cubes with 2b
>>
>>384582365
I got spoiled about humanitys death and 2E and it was still awesome
>>
>>384571903
That perfectly describes my experience with that game. I've never had a better time
>>
>>384586350
Well I do value good gameplay pretty highly but Automata's was good enough to remain fun after 40-ish hours, and I'm not against story focused games. I've even got a total hard on for fourth wall breaking meta stuff that uses gameplay elements like ending E sorta did, and smaller flavor stuff like how saving works and whatever. I just feel like I'm missing the big thing that made this game go from great to holy shit masterpiece in so many people's eyes.

I can't even find a point to it. What is the message here? People go on and on about existentialism, but what is the game actually about (and not in the "this thing was mentioned in passing in the three lines of dialog that you get after a certain fetch quest" way, I mean what is THE point that this game was trying to make).
>>
>tfw already got the craving to replay this

might as well, 'cause there's gonna be NO DLC FUCKING SQWARE ENIX REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
File: 1489293474364.jpg (293KB, 550x640px) Image search: [Google]
1489293474364.jpg
293KB, 550x640px
>>384587013
I'm about to blow your mind anon, ready? There is no point.
>>
>>384587013
Life is pointless, so go fall in love or get a hobby.
>>
duuude you fight against square enix and the devs loool
best ending i love undertale btw yoko taro is a genius
>>
>>384587585
>>384587496
How is this reflected in the game?
>>
>>384587013
have you done most of the sidequests? IMO that is where the games writing shines, I kinda felt like you about most of the main story. Quests like the wandering couple really made a mark that the whole main story could not.
>>
>>384587685
Many androids and machines alike in the game reflect this theme by becoming suicidal when their loved ones die or they can no longer pursue their interest. To them, that thing, that treasure, that love, was the meaning of their life, and losing it makes them unwilling to live anymore.
>>
>>384587685
One particular boss goes on a rant about how pointless everything is from the start until the end of the fight.
>>
>>384587876
And what does that mean?

>>384587995
Every boss in every Japanese game rants about some grandiose philosophical concept, it doesn't even register at this point.
>>
>>384587585
>>384587876
To add to this, Ending E displays these themes in a fairly ingenious way. There are two ways to beat the final credits: you accept the help of others and therefore you make connections to help you weather the storm that life throws at you, or you keep trying, and trying, and trying again until you're good enough to beat the credits solo (but really the game just takes pity on you and lets you win after some absurd number of continues). You obtain the happiest ending by either finding meaning through your connections with other people or by honing yourself at a skill until you overcome the obstacle.
>>
File: 1499739558868.jpg (96KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1499739558868.jpg
96KB, 640x480px
>>384587995
>>384587876
thats a japanese thing alright
>>
>>384571903
It's a good game and more creatively and artistically precious than the western AAA industry of the recent 5 years combined.

However, it's still flawed. Especially the extreme amounts of ambiguity approaches plothole level, plus the lore of the world is horribly explained. If you have not played Nier (and Drakengard to lesser extent), you understand jack shit, although they said Automata is standalone. Then add the fact that lots of lore can be found in screenplays/musicals.

I think the gameplay mechanics are rocksolid except for the weird difficulty spikes and nose dives.[/spoilers]
>>
>>384585313
>as in mostly references for the sake of referencing
Except machine network specifically built those philosopher machines in the way most mocking the original philosophy and being virtually designed to fail.
So you have Soren “To have faith is precisely to lose one's mind so as to win God” Kierkegard who was made into a leader of suicidal death cult that went nuclear the second machines learned about total extinction of humanity or Forest King Kant whose noble moral intent led his own society to complete stagnation and rot for almost 300 years.
>>
>>384588302
So because you need help from other players to beat the "final boss", there is no point in life? This is starting to feel like "English" class in school (not actually English since it's not my native language but whatever) where it seemed like the teacher could extrapolate an entire philosophy text book from a shopping list if they decided that the author must have had some profound reason to include 800g of flour but only 600g of sugar.
>>
>>384588151
Love is the most powerful force in the world.

Sometimes it's incredibly gentle and soothing, sometimes it crushes like a mace.
>>
>>384588631
I think you lack imagination.
>>
File: 59-crushingmace64.jpg (17KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
59-crushingmace64.jpg
17KB, 640x480px
>>384588673
>>
>>384588631
Well, I mean, if you keep trying and failing at something over and over again, then that IS kind of pointless, isn't it?
>>
>>384588553
Yeah, and you have Marx who's a fucking sawblade.

The Kant thing is reaching, and the Kierkegard one is Taro going "huh this Western philosopher talked about religion, I'll include him in my game and made him related to religion for extra DEEP points", since I can not for the life of me make the connection between “To have faith is precisely to lose one's mind so as to win God” and "leader of suicidal death cult" other than possibly "he spoke against religion but here he's the leader of a shitty cult!"
>>
>>384589180
>Yeah, and you have Marx who's a fucking sawblade.
Excavator, actually. Tool of the working class, joined together with Engels.
>>
>>384589342
Exactly, and that's as far as it goes. Marx was the commie dude who wrote about the working class, so he included him in the game and made him vaguely related to that as a cute nod if you're being generous or an attempt to look deep if you're more cynical.

Of course if you've gone completely off the deep end you can go dig out your copy of the communist manifesto and find a couple of passages that can sorta be interpreted as bein related to the game and claim it's all part of Taro's visionary genius (which supperbunnyhop actually did and some anon did for other characters in another post).
>>
>>384588752
But does the game actually make interesting points or am I supposed to imagine them myself and then praise the game?
>>
>>384573635
Bloodborne still blows me away. It's art.
Thread posts: 154
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.