[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is survival horror dead?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

File: spooky.gif (1013KB, 300x240px) Image search: [Google]
spooky.gif
1013KB, 300x240px
>First person
>Gameplay consists of walking
>Jumpscare
>"""stealth"""
>Plot is basic "it was the satan all along"
>Monster design is ugly ghost woman or buff bald inbred

Is there any chance it'll go back to form?
>>
What else was it?
>>
It's so dead not even /v/ cares about it
>>
>>384567332
It was barely ever alive. It was always a niche genre. It's only dead now insofar as there are lots of shitty shovelware games that fit your description getting released alongside the occasional good games.
>>
>>384568743
But franchises like Resident Evil and Silent Hill used to be million-sellers. Sure, those were probably the only two to ever sell such high numbers but still...
>>
File: winonaknows.gif (326KB, 1192x792px) Image search: [Google]
winonaknows.gif
326KB, 1192x792px
>>384567332
>Inaccurately describes RE7
>durr all gamez are liek dis now?
>suckles
>surviv ded re7 gay

Get a fucking life you waste of cunt hair
>>
>>384568823
More RE than SH. RE was massive in the PS1 days, but more because it was one of the earlier "cinematic" games than for the horror. SH was never on the same level, not back then. And like you say that's pretty much the entire genre, two biggish franchises and a handful of other classics that were never really big sellers.

Every game's got horror elements now. It's like stealth, it's just one of those niche genres that's been folded into general AAA action cinematic experiences.
>>
File: beardsley.jpg (20KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
beardsley.jpg
20KB, 400x400px
>>384569667
Was actually thinking of Outlast and all the shit indie clones. RE7 at least has guns and boss fights but it's still pretty meh compared to the 3rd person ones
>>
>>384569886
I guess RE and SH just made me think the genre was a lot more successful than it really was. I still think it would be better to go back to classic 3rd person horror or just use the element better than what most offerings do these days
>>
Horror and stealth are dead.
>>
>>384570484
Me too. I reckon the indie scene will probably produce a decent throwback or two sooner or later. Dreadout was OK.
>>
>>384570962
I saw a bit of gameplay from that some time ago. It looks good atmosphere wise but the gameplay seemed a bit too simple. Project zero had stuff like special shots and camera upgrades and stuff. Is there any of that in Dreadout?
>>
>>384571567
Nah, it's pretty simple. Quite short too.
>>
>>384571906
Bummer. Still better than nothing I guess. I'll look into getting it
>>
>WAH WAH SURVIVAL HORROR
>RE7 comes out
>NO THAT'S THE WRONG KIND.

Beggars can't be choosers.
>>
>>384572398
I already admitted RE7 looks better than the walking jumpscare simulators cuz of the boss fights and stuff. But still, I just wish a big name developer would have a crack at making a classic 3rd person horror game again. Give it those dramatic and trippy camera angles and everything, you know?
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.