[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why does /v/ love this series so much?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3

File: metal-gear-solid.jpg (83KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
metal-gear-solid.jpg
83KB, 1024x768px
Why does /v/ love this series so much?
>>
Motoyuki Yoshioka's magnum opus
>>
>>384554027
It's great.
>>
It tries to be smart but still has juvenile aspects that makes people think it isn't pretentious about it
>>
>>384554027
makes me look deep and political aware
>>
>>384554027
I think we can all admit it's pretty unique, even if you don't particularly enjoy it.
>>
Play MGS1/2 back to back and you'll know everything you need to know.

Infact you dont even need to play the others after that.
>>
File: IMG_20170629_192058.jpg (29KB, 577x1024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170629_192058.jpg
29KB, 577x1024px
>>384554027
2 > 3 > V > 4 > PW
>>
>>384555376
I tried 1. Couldn't get into to using the d-pad for presice movements.
>>
File: 1488259520916.jpg (110KB, 577x459px) Image search: [Google]
1488259520916.jpg
110KB, 577x459px
Kojima is not only a master of video game direction, in the tradition of prodigies like Miyamoto, but his political philosophy is deeper and more intellectual than George Orwell and he brings more to espionage than James Bond

Basically, Kojima is what Michael Jordan is to basketball, what Beethoven is to music, what Galileo is to astronomy.

He taught us to feel, to cry at the drama and passion of his stories. He taught us to laugh with his boob and butt jokes.

Shit's fucking ridic
>>
>>384555413
Shit taste of the hour.
>>
>>384554027
>Why does /v/ love this series so much?

>Cool characters
>unique, stylish aspects
>it's really the only military, espionage, fantasy game series out there
>>
>>384554027
Gameplay is interesting and innovative, story manages to be engaging even though it may not be everyone's cup of tea, it tackles contemporary aspects of geopolitics, questions the status quo of things, portrays expectations of the future of warfare and the impacts of modern technology in our world in a cyberpunk way. And while it may not be deep, complete nor perfect, at least it fires your neurons more than the usual vidya, or movie story.

Most anons grew up with it, it expended everyone's thoughts, and it's one of the things many used to rest on while transitioning to be an adult. You just have to look at the retarded young adults these days that grew up with CoD to see the difference.
>>
>>384554027
I'm only in because of Kojima's wild ruse cruise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gt2ba3R51aI
>>
>>384555456
>He taught us to feel, to cry at the drama and passion of his stories. He taught us to laugh with his boob and butt jokes.
I actually kind of cried during mgs2 when that bird kept saying emmas name and he broke down each time.
>>
>>384554027
it entertains me
>>
>>384555450
Christ, how old are you?
>>
>>384555549
The shit about proxy wars for profit in mgs4 was erriely realistic. Kind of creeped me out at the time.
>>
It's pretty good. As a sum of its parts. The hate boner this boart has for MGS and Hideo/Kojima is ridic. The Phantom Pain really fucked /v/irgins up .
>>
>>384555892
Well each game simply raised contemporary subjects. Also explains why the technological progress doesn't quite follow the chronological order of the series, but the release order.

First it was about terrorism, terrorist nations, mercenaries gone rogue and nukes. Then we got information technologies, and how they can control populations, we had DNA manipulation and eugenism, privatization of the military, proxy wars, transhumanism, spy games, the return of the cold war, drones, drones with nukes, the questioning of whether nuclear deterrence by humans works, nuclear disarmament and how it drives nations to build more nukes to fill the power vacuum, the business of nukes... Beyond the chronological story, there's the story or modern warfare told throughout the games in their release order. Clearly there's much to learn from it, and most is still eerily relevant today.
>>
>tight, enjoyable gameplay in every game he made without exception
>story that constantly jumps across the line between melodrama and absurdity without ever being any less profound for it
>thematic elements that, while not necessarily revolutionary in their intelligence, caused an entire generation of video game players to expand their thinking unlike any other series
It's the themes that really make Metal Gear for me. MGS1, for example. On the surface it's a story about a special ops agent who discovers he's a clone and that the world is about to be held hostage by a giant nuke-launching robot and a clone brother he didn't know he had. Underneath all that, it introduced kids and teenagers to concepts like genetics, the idea that your circumstances are more likely to shape you than your inherent biology, moral ambiguity, and so on.

>>384556141
V is unfairly maligned. There's no arguing it was disappointing and didn't live up to the hype, but when you remember the shit people were saying before it came out, there's really no way it could have. It also had really strong themes, probably the strongest since MGS2.
>>
>>384556610
>It also had really strong themes, probably the strongest since MGS2.

This. I hate it as a videogame but I respect it as a story. Both V and MGS4 are strong on their themes which gladly makes up for 3's superficiality.
>>
>>384554027
It probably isn't the gameplay
>>
>>384556610
>the idea that your circumstances are more likely to shape you than your inherent biology

Yeah, because solid, liquid and solidus became bank teller, nurse and flight attendant respectively. You stupid mong, it portrays exactly the opposite
>>
>>384557657
It had some of the best gameplay in any game.
>>
it's an overrated piece of garbage which not widely acknowledged by "normies" so /v/irgins of course hop on that bandwagon because they are contrarian faggots
>>
>>384554027
>be me 8 or 9 years old
>mgs 1 comes out
>rent it from blockbuster
>start game
>super serious.mov
>nuclear armed terrorists 26 hours to stop them w one man army
>naomi wants u to strip search her
>meryl hides PAL key in her snatch
>references to cold war and START treaty
>WHOA.jpg
Metal gear felt like it was talking to you like an adult and when ur a kid thats all u really want.
Thats why i love metal gear anon
>>
>>384561913
Forgot to add this song playing in the beginning
https://youtu.be/6miaTf1gF4g
>>
>>384559213
You really think Zero would let kids created for the purpose of fighting to have a peaceful life? If anything, it's a combination of the two.
>>
>>384561913
Ill never forget being able to crawl under vehicles and the view changes to 1st person, Mgs1 was really ground breaking at the time.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.