[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is Breath of the Wild going to have any kind of influence on

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2

File: BOTW-Share_icon.jpg (237KB, 1200x630px) Image search: [Google]
BOTW-Share_icon.jpg
237KB, 1200x630px
Is Breath of the Wild going to have any kind of influence on future video games and developers whatsoever?
>>
No, the highest rated game in the past decade won't influence anything.
>>
>>384529927
Hopefully it'll give an example to more modern devs/indies to be more comfortable about allowing more traversal paths earlier and encouraging exploration. The whole Shrine/seed system is filler to encourage people to look all around the map, but it can be improved and adjusted by a fuckton of ways. It was endlessly enlarged, I feel. But this game takes a lot of existing Open World stuff but puts it in front of a lot more impressionable eyes.

So honestly, the most interesting place this will have influence in is nintendo, and I will die happy if they can pull even a half decent MM to this game's OoT. This fucking game doesn't even have good dungeons. They can literally just add that
>>
>>384530236
Super Mario Galaxy is one of the highest rated games of all time and it didn't do shit to the video game industry.
>>
Devs left and right have been sucking its dick for God knows whatever reason so we'll see. I say give it a year or two.
>>
Yes, mountain climbing will become a staple in gaming.
>>
>>384529927
No. And I mean that in all seriousness. No other game has successfully managed to actually copy the qualities that make Zelda great in all the years its been out, and I believe that's largely because no other developer is as skilled as Nintendo and so can't handle the ridiculously intensive task that is managing the development of a game as intricate as Zelda at its most ambitious peaks.

Other developers will manage to do what they can, but it's not like the kind of world interaction that Zelda is known for is easy to implement without the single most disciplined development force in the world.
>>
In the next few years, yes. And almost certainly in a bad way.

Not even specifically saying BotW is bad. I'm just saying copying other concepts never ends well.
>>
The Witcher 3 will have more influence than Zelda. Doesn't matter how well received Zelda was when it won't even come close to touching other games sales wise.
>>
>>384531413
SMG is the best and most original game i saw 10 years ago...
But yes, the game industry focuses in launching shitty games and pwns the gamers.
>>
>>384529927
It already has left an impression
>>
>>384531534
here's hoping
>>
I'm sure there will be a few games that try to ape the superficial mechanics of the game without knowing why they work.
I can already see future cretins using weapon breaking as a "difficulty measure" and not the necessary part of the engine that makes exploration worthwhile because even a shit weapon is better than no weapon.
>>
No, because its just an amalgamation of elements from multiple games and genres that came before it.
>>
>>384532268
Shhh. Nintendo was the first to do Ubisoft towers. Don't tell the drones otherwise.
>>
I think it BotW will influence open world games to be more encouraging of exploration and putting at least SOMETHING in most nooks and crannies and out-of-the-way locations. BotW nailed the allure of exploring way better than any other open world game has.

>>384531413
I think this is because at the time U R MR GAY came out nobody except Nintendo was even trying to make AAA platformers. BotW is in a much better situation to be influential because it's an open world game and "open world" is one of the current hot trends in game design.

>>384531625
>No other game has successfully managed to actually copy the qualities that make Zelda great
Okami would like to have a word with you
>>
>>384529927
Yes.
We will see more climbable surfaces, weather having an effect on gameplay, and most importantly, maps without points of interest already marked on them
>>
>>384532578
>maps without points of interest already marked on them
please dear god, let it be so. i firmly believe that BotW wouldn't have had been even half as fun to explore if it had had a more typical vidya map with a million points and indicators already on it.
>>
I think Breath of the Wild's best asset is the paraglider. It makes traversing the world so much fun and I've found myself sorely missing it in every other open world game I've played since.
>>
>>384529927
Mario 64 did it, expect this game to change everything
>>
>>384532415
>Okami would like to have a word with you

Okami is a very superficial interpretation of Zelda's whole approach. It presents everything in a super straightforward but colorful way and largely avoids doing things that involve contemplating the environment in a large scale way,
>>
File: 1200426611106.jpg (46KB, 500x400px) Image search: [Google]
1200426611106.jpg
46KB, 500x400px
>>384529927
>every game is now elder scrolls oblivion, but without any content
only zelda could have gotten away with this
>>
>>384529927
No
It's a fine game, but it doesn't do anything to innovate the genre
>>
>>384532578
>>384532415

The exploration is what makes BotW great. I think we'll see devs do more to encourage exploration.
>>
>>384533639
what do you mean? i can't recall any zelda game ever making me think about the environment in any large scale way except for BotW.
>>
>>384529927
no, only cuckolds like zelda games and those who disagree with me are the biggest cuckolds in the planet
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.