[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Was Starcraft II good? Was it as good as the original?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 110
Thread images: 14

File: StarCraft_II_-_Box_Art.jpg (87KB, 256x363px) Image search: [Google]
StarCraft_II_-_Box_Art.jpg
87KB, 256x363px
Was Starcraft II good? Was it as good as the original?
>>
I'd say it was equal or maybe slightly better than SC1 from a gameplay perspective.
Storywise, SC1 is much better. Though Wings of Liberty and Legacy of the Void (minus the prologue) were still pretty alright campaigns.
>>
>>384515493
>prologue
Fuck, I meant the epilogue
>>
>>384515204
Memes aside it was pretty fucking good. People here are just on a Nostalgia trip and forgot how mediocre vanilla SC and Broodwar were.
>>
Yeah.
Got boxed version on release, good times.

Dropped everything Blizzard after Activision bough them, just for caution. Mite try the expansion packs this year.
>>
>>384515204

>Was Starcraft II good?

yeah

>Was it as good as the original?

nah
>>
File: cat disgust.png (427KB, 514x662px) Image search: [Google]
cat disgust.png
427KB, 514x662px
Here's a quick rundown:

>campaign was good from gameplay standpoint, but the story was trash
>graphics were too cartoony - not as bad as some early screenshots, but it looked nothing like the original
>removing unit cap per control group, smartcasting and good pathfinding AI introduced deathball cancer to multiplayer matches, leagues became too boring to watch
>custom maps scene was murdered by removing lobbies and chat channels, and instead introducing retarded system where only a couple most popular maps had any chance for finding players
>Blizzard kept changing the meta with patches, the game could drastically change from your perspective if you stopped playing for like a month

Overall 4/10 game with some good elements, but overall a shit sequel that failed to live up to the hype
>>
>>384515204
>Was it good
It was an ok game
>Was it as good as the original
No. Worse story, worse gameplay from a strategic viewpoint. It was more polished, of course, but that's not what counts.
>>
>>384516037
Skip HotS. Go straight to LotV.
>>384515204
>Story
Spotty, 90% of it is worse, but it does have some good parts with certain characters (Spectre issue, Abathur, Alarak)
>Gameplay
Pretty good SP missions outside of HotS, especially in LotV. MP was a bit of a downgrade.
>Customs
Much worse. Nothing more to say.
>Fun
I mean it's pretty fun. Co-op is good, though that's the only thing I really like. Not as fun as SC UMSes but currently not as bad as people say.
>>
File: 00l.jpg (21KB, 356x356px) Image search: [Google]
00l.jpg
21KB, 356x356px
>>384515204
Fuck no it wasn't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuytViFsZUw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAS8KivZX5s
>>
starcraft 2 was designed to be esports

starcraft 1 was designed to be fun
>>
>activision-blizzard creates battle.net two-point-o - this new meme version of battle.net features no chat rooms and you have to talk through facebook
>custom maps have a lowball data limit with plans to make premium custom maps with higher data limits

can't even remember half the shit they pulled anymore. don't care. it sucked. blizzard literally got acquired and used
>>
>>384515204
Wings of Liberty was fucking great.
and Legacy of the Void still has solid multiplayer options in ranked, arcade and Coop.
Coop surely felt like a last ditch effort to attract a more casual audience, i doubt it worked though.
>>
>>384518885
>>
>>384519171

chat rooms are too problematic for nublizz
>>
>>384518885
>starcraft 1 turned into an Esport
>Starcraft 2 turned out more fun
weird how that works.
>>
didn't even finish WoL
>>
>>384519457

>Starcraft 2 turned out more fun

but that's wrong
>>
Anyone have that pasta on all the ways SC2's story shit the bed?
>>
>>384515493
You're a fucking retard, LotV was a fucking disaster and is barely an RTS campaign, literally tells you not to try and destroy the enemy bases because it's literally just wave assaults.
>>
File: battlecruiser-evolution.jpg (301KB, 1280x550px) Image search: [Google]
battlecruiser-evolution.jpg
301KB, 1280x550px
>>384515204
Custom Games were pretty fucking good (Star Battle especially) but most everything else was a complete shitshow.
>>
>>384519554
I can't imagine a single pasta capturing all the fucking ways in which the story shits the bed.

You could write a fucking dissertation on the many ways in which the SC2 story went full retard.
>>
>>384519554
>Overmind was good all along, even though Zeratul linked minds with it and never mentioned this
>Kerrigan wasn't evil, she was just possessed by Zerg-bits, even though she specifically confirms she is in full control of her actions in Brood War
>Kerrigan is a good guy who compromises her own plans to save innocent lives, even though uninfested Kerrigan helped Mengsk murder billions using psi-amplifiers
>Kerrigan is no longer a manipulative villain, just a mean bitch with no stake in anything
>Raynor and Kerrigan's love story is the most important thing in the whole universe, even though it was literally like three flirty banter lines in the first game
>Zerg aren't parasitic worms from a volcanic planet, they're spiky things from a jungle planet
>UED never returns despite still having interests in the Koprulu sector
>Nova is squeezed in everywhere because fans sure loved her in that game that never came out
>five of the PCs from the original game, entities giving the player a plausible physical presence within the universe and a more invested connection to the story, are written out of existence without fanfare
>Tassadar comes back as a Force ghost
>Fenix comes back as a robot because fuck meaningful deaths
>nobody is the bad guy, they're all being manipulated by Amon
>Duran has a Dragonball Z laser fight with Star Kerrigan
>ANCIENT EVIL PROPHECIES
>>
>>384520394
>Duran is at large for millennia, never gets rid of the prophecies detailing the steps needed to be taken to stop him
>Artifact is used for literally fucking everything
>Duran is the one that enables you to find the artifact, which is also the only thing that could possibly allow him to be stopped
>Huge chunks of the story make no fucking sense, oh but there's books that explain it :^)
>Remember that SC2 pre-launch website of the SC1 manual that had this background info on the planets of origin that the zerg scavenged for useful species to adapt to the swarm? Yea, that's gone now, they're all from one planet now and are a united species of sorts
>Kerrigan literally preaching to some protoss that zerg are people too and she should feel bad for having killed them, before infesting them and sending the broodling to massacre an entire ship for of protoss and go infest distant galaxies
>Yea that actually happened

Tip of the fucking iceberg and it's already an abomination.
>>
>>384520394
>>384520939
Metzen's gone now. He can't butcher his own stories anymore. Truly a shame about all that retcon though
>>
>>384519797
>SC1: Just a giant hulk of metal with a giant gun in the front and a giant engine in the back. Something that dumb ass space rednecks would mass produce.
>SC2: DUDE LIGHTS AND ANTENNAE EVERYWHERE

Why did blizzard start over-designing everything after WC3?
>>
File: mariner-af.jpg (184KB, 800x536px) Image search: [Google]
mariner-af.jpg
184KB, 800x536px
>>384521264
>accused of ripping off 40K
>rip off 40K even more in the sequel while also shitting all over your original design philosophy
>>
All I give a shit about is the gameplay, and SC2's was miles better.
>>
>>384515204

Kerrigan, aka Metzen's corruption fetish insert (See also every other blizz game) single-handedly ruins the game. If you remove everything related to kerrigan the story becomes much better, although it's still retarded in LOTV
>>
>>384521264
Who the fuck knows, blizzard was too busy shitting out WoW content for a decade and forgot how to do anything other than cartoony for everything else.
On the subject of battlecruisers, they practically retconed the SC2 design you see there to be the Hyperion (Behemoth Class, SC1's ingame units), the Minotaur class (original Bucephalus and the ones you use in-game for SC2) and the Gorgon class (the huge ones that show up in HOTS, later retconned the Bucephalus to that class) without ANY visual distinction between the three, not to mention reducing their armaments in the cinematics to tiny machineguns rather than the huge fucking lasers you see on the ingame units. I swear there was no unified artistic direction with these games, nor any actual respect for background information/lore from the first game.
>>
>>384515204

Superior to the original in almost every way.

SC1 is just easier to pirate and do LAN parties with. (The only real reason why South Koreans prefer it due to Internet Cafes)
>>
>>384522087
You'd also need to remove anything Amon related honestly, still don't really know what the fuck his deal was and from what little I do know it seems he had the right of it.
>>
>>384515204
The story is utter trash compared to the originals.
>>
I was out of the loop for a few years and just found out the Nova Covert Ops DLC is a thing that exists.

Unique pre-purchase portrait now forever unobtainable. Fuck that type of marketing strategy.
>>
>>384523096
>Caring about cosmetics at all
You are the cancer, anon, kys.
>>
>>384523290
I don't give a shit about cosmetics, but my OCD cares about every little piece of unobtainable shit no matter how I try to quiet it. They're preying on that OCD with their bullshit.
>>
>>384522538
>still don't really know what the fuck his deal was and from what little I do know it seems he had the right of it.

Big edge lord hates the fact that the universe must be rebooted every so often so he decides it's better to unplug it forever.
>>
>>384520394
>>384520939
Some of those are just wrong
>Duran is the one that enables you to find the artifact, which is also the only thing that could possibly allow him to be stopped
He wanted you to find it so he could get the hybrid to absorb the magic psionic energy kerrigan lost when she got deinfested, you finding it was a vital part of his plan.
>>
>>384525236
>He wanted you to find it so that he could enable another completely unmentioned arbitrary bullshit element that has nothing to do with the concept of hybrids as we know it
That's actually so much worse anon...
>>
>>384518885
>games that don't try to be esports turn out to be the best esports
Really makes you think
>>
>>384520394
>>UED never returns despite still having interests in the Koprulu sector
This is actually somewhat mentioned. UED doesn't know what the fuck happened in the Korpulu, the only remnants are mercs that the Raiders picked up (Spartan Company is noted, as well as the Merc BC) and Stukov, who Kerrigan wasn't going to let leave.
>PCs from the original game
Vanilla Cerebrate is confirmed to have been killed on Aiur in the Protoss Campaign, Magistrate left between Vanilla and BW, BW Protoss Leader was Selendis, see above for BW Terran, and Cerebrates were converted to Queens so Kerrigan could better control them.
>Fenix bot
90% of Talandar's story is him realizing that he isn't actually Fenix, and the remaining portion is him deciding not to continue being Fenix.
>Duran enables you to find the artifact
No, Mengsk's son is the one running Mobius. In all likelihood, Duran was with them to try and find a way to turn it against Kerrigan and the Protoss.
>Overmind was good all along
All he wanted was to kill the Protoss before Amon showed back up, not as something heroic but as a giant middle finger to him.
>Force Ghost Tassadar
Literally a Xel'naga communicating the best way it knew how.

I mean yeah the story's pretty bad, but at least get your points straight.
>>
>>384526725
>PC's from the original game
You literally just described HOW they were written out without fanfare, anon, most of this shit is in supplementary material and not even in the actual games.
>Fenix bot
Still blatant pandering and shit writing, Fenix earned most of his accolades fighting the Zerg on Aiur and there is no legitimate timeline for something like a Fenix bot to have ever been made, not to mention the very concept is antitheses to everything established about protoss culture. The fact that they realized how badly they fucked up and tried to fix it with "Talendar" just makes it even more absurd.
>Valerian ran Mobius
And how did he ever learn about the artifacts? Oh right. Narud.
>All he wanted was to kill the protoss before Amon showed up
No, he's literally credited with creating Kerrigan to save the universe from Amon, both the prophecy and Zeratul's mind-meld explain this.
>Literally a Xel'naga communicating
That's an even bigger issue than a mere force-ghost though, especially since this shit comes completely out of nowhere, is never explained and has no bearing on the rest of the story, it's just dropped out of the air to explain some contrived bullshit, disappears completely only to show up again at the very end going "surprise I was actually a Xel'naga and this was conveniently the best I could do in communicating vital information to you :^)"
>>
>>384526725
>UED doesn't know what the fuck happened in the Korpulu
So shouldn't they be sending someone to check in on that shit?
>Magistrate left between Vanilla and BW
This is what I'm talking about, they couldn't think of a way to incorporate the old PCs into the story, so they just took the lazy way and wrote them out as either having died or disappeared. Selendis being the BW Protoss PC is fan speculation. Kerrigan killed all the remaining cerebrates, including the Zerg PC, she didn't convert them into queens.
>Fenix bot
It's still fucking stupid, imagine them doing something like that in any other franchise. Imagine in Halo 6 343 introduces a new character, an AI that thinks it's Sgt. Johnson.
>>
>>384525719
Crystal absorbs energy, drained Kerrigan of her energy at the end of WoL and that energy is used to free amon.
>>
>>384528086
Right, what "energy"? Where did this energy come from, why was it unique to Kerrigan? Where the fuck are you even getting all this bullshit? How was the artifact able to drain this energy while exploding Zerg and why did it need to charge to do it?

It sounds like complete and utter bullshit made up to cover for extremely bad writing anon.
>>
>>384528078
>UED
Pretty sure the last thing Earth actually heard was that everything was fine so far then sudden silence. Something BW doesn't really hit on is that the UED Force is tiny compared to their normal fleets. Earth could literally be going through the paperwork of mobilizing for the entirety of SC2, let alone actually putting a fleet together.
>PCs
The issue is that most of the PCs have little to no actual character. For awhile I honestly thought Horner was the Magistrate, since he fit better than a nameless and faceless proxy.
>Fenix
You'd have a point if the Protoss characters were all for him being Fenix, but Artanis' first conversation about him is basically "I REALLY don't like this".
>>
>>384528783
>Last report the UED got was "we just took over giant alium megabrain and took over the sector"
>Suddenly radio silence
Anyone who isn't a total imbecile would be mobilizing a fleet double time, not leisurely.
>Most PCs have little to no actual character
They had a lot of room to be characterized, and an existing presence with relatable experiences in the universe, much better than "who the fuck are you?" characters we got now.
>Not even the other protoss characters liked it
Makes you wonder why the fuck they went through with it then, if they couldn't even write it in a manner that was acceptable to their in-universe characters.

Again, the whole "purifier" bullshit was antithesis to everything we know about protoss culture, to everything we know about the conclave, it's not just mecha-fenix, it's the whole concept they wrote around it to enable it that is just utterly ridiculous.
>>
>>384515204
All I want to know is who at Blizzard thought it would be a good idea to hire fucking Dustin Browder to be a lead designer on the game.

For those who don't know, Dustin Browder, before being hired at Blizzard, was the lead designer on several of the Command & Conquer games. You may remember Command & Conquer as "that other RTS series" that was always overshadowed by the Brood War. Despite being several years older than the newer iterations of Command & Conquer, Brood War continued to be the king of the RTS genre.

Knowing this, who thought it would be a good idea to hire the guy behind these mediocre RTS games to be the LEAD DESIGNER on the sequel to the king of the RTS genre? It's like hiring a McDonald's frycook to be the head chef in your 5-star restaurant
>>
>>384528783
>most of the PCs have little to no actual character
They could make them into cool characters if they wanted to, I mean the vanilla Protoss PC is fucking Artanis.
>>
>>384529248
>Anyone who isn't a total imbecile would be mobilizing a fleet double time, not leisurely.
You severely overestimate what the UED considers Korpulu to be worth.
Mengsk had already created the Dominion by the time Earth decided to respond to the Confederacy's silence.
>>
>>384519295
>i doubt it worked though
i'm pretty sure it did since it got me into sc2 and many other players and I wouldn't be surprised if 80% of the playerbase was playing coop instead of standard multi at all
>>
>>384529602
The real problem was that C&C is more known for its single player, not its MP
>>
>>384515204
it's good now (ignoring the story, but I don't really give a shit about SC lore). has good modes for both hardcore and casual players, the balance/design team is probably the best at blizzard right now, and they're adding new stuff at a pretty good clip considering how old the game is at this point (just added a compendium-esque thing in the last couple days).

was pretty mediocre throughout WoL's lifespan and through a lot of HotS. barely had any features, the arcade was shit, the galaxy editor was shit (probably still true but more people know how to use it effectively now), no general chats or basic features that b.net 1.0 already had (it wasn't called B.Net 0.2 for no reason), the balance team no clue what they were doing, and the design team failed to innovate or incorporate new features from other multiplayer games, and Blizzard generally didn't handle the game well from an esports perspective which led to it's inevitable decline happening earlier than it should have.
>>
>>384529785
But the EUD expedition arrived in less than 2 years after the confederacy got kicked to the curb.

And I'm not talking worth, I'm talking threat, best case scenario your expedition just got wiped by some unknown force after obtaining control of the sector, worst case scenario they took shit over themselves and just armed a hostile alien hivemind against you.

No matter what actually did happen though, that'd be cause to be up in arms immediately.
>>
>>384515204
EN TARO ADUN! EN TARO TASSADAR! EN TARO ZERATUL!
>>
The writing is worse and the lack of destroy the enemy bases annoyed me.

However, all the special single player upgrades are super fun and co-op is a blast.

The reconstruction beam in particular gets me hard. Only reason I play Karax in co-op.
>>
>>384530024
>Anon trying to pass the compendium as a good thing
Nickle and diming players with garbage cosmetics is now a good thing? Get the fuck out of here.

I play co-op every week for the mutations but it's more desperation to scratch that RTS-itch than actual enjoyment, the game mode is a god damn mess which is unacceptable given how much they're milking it with paid commanders.

Bugs out the ass, broken maps, horrendously unbalanced enemy compositions; zerg is a free win, air protoss spawns an attack wave with no less than 14 voidrays a few minutes into the game, later attack waves get shit like 25 oracles, air zerg finally got fixed after months (used to spawn hundreds of scourge making it impossible to use air units, which for zerg also includes your fucking detection)

Don't even fucking joke about the game being good now, it's serviceable at best.
>>
>>384530370
>Playing "please carry me" for the reconstruction beam
>Meanwhile mend is 100x better
Nigga?
>>
>>384515204
>LotV introduced the Tal'darim
>It also introduced Co-op
>But it included the abomination that is the Epilogue
I'd say it broke even.
>>
>>384527418
>Still blatant pandering and shit writing, Fenix earned most of his accolades fighting the Zerg on Aiur and there is no legitimate timeline for something like a Fenix bot to have ever been made, not to mention the very concept is antitheses to everything established about protoss culture. The fact that they realized how badly they fucked up and tried to fix it with "Talendar" just makes it even more absurd.

It's mentioned that Aldarias threw Fenix in the brain scanner when he got converted into a dragoon. It's only a continuity issue with co-op which Blizzard declared non canon.
>>
>>384530897
But the purifiers allegedly rebelled against the Protoss and got shut down, so when did this actually all happen? LotV talks about the purifiers as some event of eras past, not something that was going on as Aiur was being invaded.
>>
>>384530731

How is mend better? Reconstruction means all my shit and my allies as well if they're Terran or Toss gets fully restored during down time.

Ever play Karax and Swann on a defense map? Absolute massacre.
>>
>>384530624
most of the community has been begging Blizzard for ways to throw their money at the game for years, don't act like Blizzard is shoving micro-transactions down the game's throat.

>zerg is a free win, air protoss spawns an attack wave with no less than 14 voidrays a few minutes into the game, later attack waves get shit like 25 oracles, air zerg finally got fixed after months (used to spawn hundreds of scourge making it impossible to use air units, which for zerg also includes your fucking detection)
i had no idea what you were talking about, until I realized you were actually complaining about balance in co-op. fucking kek.
>>
>>384515204
its definitely more fun and the story was ok

If youre a fan then you have to buy it anyway

also new dlc on the way like nova ops
>>
>>384531387
>this changed anything
>>
>>384531102
Original purifiers were a LONG fucking time ago, when the Protoss still had an Empire. Aldaris was restarting it by having 'Fenix' be the one to reintegrate them, since all of the remaining Purifiers were put into stasis.
>>
>>384531102

Fenix is the only newest purifer. That's why he was kept in a completely different location then the rest. It wasn't something the Protoss government agreed too, it was all Aldaris. His reasoning was never touched upon but it's possible he saw the writing on the walls (remember he stopped being retarded after Artanis recused Tassadar from the conclave) and knew they may need a Fenix back up even if it meant it be via the purifier program.
>>
>>384531176
>Reconstruction beam
>Slowly heals up to 3 units/buildings
>Doesn't heal bio at all

>Mend
>Heals ALL units AND buildings for 100 health fully healing most units, and continues healing them over time for another 50 over 2 seconds

How the fuck is mend not better?

>Ever play Swann/Kerax on a defense map?
Yea, try Zagara instead for an even worse massacre that includes ravaging the enemy bases, same shit for Kerrigan, Artannis, Abathur etc.

>>384531207
The fact that you consider balance in co-op such a joke that the mere mention of it has you laughing kind of proves my point doesn't it? It's a low-effort cash grab and that's the quintessential problem with all of SC2, arguably all of Activision/Blizzard.
>>
>>384531926
>>Slowly heals up to 3 units/buildings

4 actually with a level 8 upgrade and mastery increases the heal speed.
>>
File: Alarakk.jpg (198KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Alarakk.jpg
198KB, 1280x720px
>All of these weaklings
Do I need to call in a Death Fleet?
>>
>>384531636
Except Fenix was already a dragoon before all that shit, so again the timeline makes no sense.

>>384531530
And he conveniently had that revelation all on his own going against his vaunted tradition and Fenix knew nothing about it and no mention is made of this at fucking all? Aldaris wouldn't think to mention or activate the purifiers after they were forced to abandon Aiur?

Come now lads, stop trying to make up bullshit to cover for bullshit.
>>
>>384532073
Remains trivial and unlike mend it won't turn the tide of a fight or completely negate enemy aoe.

You could do what the repair beam does with 4 fucking medics or a bunch of swarm queens.
>>
>>384532159
>Can't even fight his own battles
Only his subordinate is more insufferably smug about actually being utterly incompetent.
>>
>>384515493
>I'd say it was equal or maybe slightly better than SC1 from a gameplay perspective.
And you'd be completely wrong.
>>
>>384532360

He's plenty powerful though, he's just not retarded enough to think he was going to win at Rak'shir without an army at his back. Same reason he's one of the few Tal'Darim who realized Amon was fucking him over.
>>
>>384532178
Anon he was booting up the Purifiers when Aiur first got attacked, to fight the Zerg and Fenix first died. He was originally doing it to fight the Zerg, not Amon.
>>384532360
They are wonderfully Smug, aren't they?
>>
>>384532556
>Winning Rak'shir basically involves him doing fuck all
>What the fuck is this ritual even about when the deciding factor has nothing to do with actual strength
>Literally just you curbstomping the Taldarim, why was this ridiculous ritual even involved?
Woah what a bad-ass!

>>384532574
>He was booting up the purifiers
Again, that makes no sense, their very existence is antithesis to the protoss and the whole time up until they capture Tassedar the conclave is utterly convinced they can beat the Zerg conventionally. It's not until the very last mission and you're rushing the Overmind that they realize they're fucked and you're their last hope
>So does that mean they're going to send us some back up?
No Jimmy, no it doesn't.
>>
>>384520394
How is Nova even popular? In the novels that feature her they never forget to tell the reader that Nova's a second rate psionic and ghost operative.
>>
>>384533181
Let's just say she wouldn't be nearly as popular if it was a dude.
>>
File: 1381945198053.png (814KB, 774x639px) Image search: [Google]
1381945198053.png
814KB, 774x639px
>>384518885
>starcraft 2 was designed to be esports
>starcraft 1 was designed to be fun
Worse then that: Starcraft 2 was also designed TO NOT "MISS" ANOTHER DOTA/LOL. Blizzard execs were greedy fags, looked at how a custom mod for WC3 had gone on to be a huge deal, and figured that of course the smart thing to do was try to gain total control and ownership over the entire custom scene because certainly the community would cheerfully work for them. Of course instead their idiotic changes just murdered the scene instead.

>>384526409
>>games that don't try to be esports turn out to be the best esports
>Really makes you think
I know you're joking but actually it's an important point: esports are just like sports, the "e" doesn't change the basic human dynamics. The sports that humans in general like to watch are ones that they feel some investment in because they've played them a bit themselves, or at least been close to (kids or friends played them say). All real sports have a pyramid, with a large base of casuals who just enjoy it a bit, somewhat more serious amateurs, very serious amateurs, true enthusiasts, semi-pros in feeder leagues, total pros, and then the tip top elite. But it's the big wide base at the bottom that eventually feeds up to the top tiny % of a % of a %, and it's that and their friends who make up the main audience that makes it a commercially viable sport. The sport has to be some fun and interest all the way up.

That's also why decent single player campaigns are vitally important to RTS success, and the ones that "want to focus just on mp" tend to bomb miserably. Historically according to Blizzard's own #s about 50% of buyers literally never played MP even once. But even playing SP only can still give them a connection, understanding of units & mechanics on some level, and in turn possible interest in watch the best at a higher level.
>>
>>384529248
>>384529785
>>384530167
Wasn't it mentioned somewhere that the UED is having some kind of civil war?
>>
File: Nova_SC-G_Art2.jpg (15KB, 180x353px) Image search: [Google]
Nova_SC-G_Art2.jpg
15KB, 180x353px
>>384533181

She's popular because of this piece of art for Starcraft Ghost.

Also to be fair, they say she's the best on the normal scale for human psyonic potential. Just that she's shit compared to Kerrigan who was so damn powerful she broke the scale.
>>
>>384533365
No.
>>
File: nova-terra.jpg (235KB, 1470x1080px) Image search: [Google]
nova-terra.jpg
235KB, 1470x1080px
>>384533181
>busty blonde in spy catsuit that reveals curve of ass cheeks
This was even like the first image of her they revealed.
>>
>>384533694

>Read her article on SC wiki summerazing books.
>They all focus on how she was a hot little 12 year old that everyone who met her wanted to bang.

Her book writers were some weird people.
>>
>>384528374
Zerg corrupted by amon channel void energies, crystal uses these energies.
>>
>>384533934
And somehow, some way, both the Artifact itself and Kerrigan were completely unique in how they could release Amon from the void?

Yea, I call bullshit mate.
>>
>>384533881
>>384533694
>>384533493
What's going to be her endgame though? She's not the chosen one like Kerrigan is; she's literally just a named "elite" grunt like Naisha or that Footman Captain in WC3
>>
>>384515204
Wings of Liberty was a really good RTS campaign. Each level had unique mechanics but still felt like an RTS. They fucked up the other campaigns though by trying to make the levels feel like MOBAs or tower defence.
>>
>>384534426

He got her own mini campaign for SC2 post fall of Amon. She stops an uprising against Valarin and then it ends saying she'll be a black ops leader doing black ops shit for the rest of her career.
>>
>>384533365
>Wasn't it mentioned somewhere that the UED is having some kind of civil war?
No, in fact last we heard from Blizz on it the UED remains a deus ex machina they've got in their back pocket who could potentially curbstomp every other faction there (at least before the whole hybrid CORRRRRUPPPTIOONNNNNN ULTIMATE SHADOW DARK EVIL vs jesus CHOSEN ONE fucking horseshit), but hasn't given a fuck to devote more then a small outdated force because they're standard Terran supremacists.

I think now Blizz has just long since forgotten about it, maybe it'll come up again if they want to spin the shekel wheel again and try to squeeze a bit more cash out of the franchise.
>>
>>384515204
Wings of Liberty was good the rest was meh. Nah, I preferred the first game and expak more. I generally think it just came out way too late and I had changed too much.
>>
>>384522538
CORRUPTION anon. His deal is CORRUPTION. It is a very original theme that Blizzard never ever did before every single fucking game/expansion for like, ever.
>>
File: alarak_by_tiodor-d9uoduh.png (631KB, 700x700px) Image search: [Google]
alarak_by_tiodor-d9uoduh.png
631KB, 700x700px
>When your Alarak alone has more kills than 3/4s of your partners army
>When you beat their hero's damage by nearly five times
>When you produce twice their units and lose all but maybe three by the end
Holy fuck Alarak is amazing
>>
>>384515615
This. Downloaded the free Brood War files for a trip down memory lane and found the campaign terribly boring and slow as balls. Not as dreadfully slow as Warcraft 3 but it takes forever to make buildings and late game units and most missions involve you starting with barely anything on one side of the map and the AI having a fuckhuge base on the other side and it sending a handful units at a time to annoy you while you slowly build up the necessary forces to clear them out.

Starcraft 2's missions blow it the fuck out in creativity. Customizing units was nice but only LOTV did it right with several different viable options that you could change out as the mission required.
>>
>>384515204
Was alright. Liked WoL and LotV. HotS had some cool characters but it fucked the balance for a long time.

I like some of the new units, except spider mines, fuck them.
>>
>>384518776
Don't knock SC2's soundtrack. It's got it's own gems.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YfQjho2IOk
>>
>>384537510
The "remaster" of the original for Starcraft HD though is a fucking abomination.
>>
Sc2 was a good game. Campaign gameplay was far better than SC1 but holy fuck the story was just garbage.

Multiplayer had serious issues. Improvement in AI made the basic skill floor far to low were your average player game was deathball vs deathball. A mistake meant GG and a lot of games didn't feel dynamic in how they were played. Larva injects was just a bloat mechanic which made Zerg weak and unfun until you reached diamond league and then it became balanced.
Too many low tier 'tanky' units in general.
They fucked up b.net 2.0
The entire interface felt lonely with no real need for social interaction at all. Custom games were pretty much limited to the top 10.

Blizzard designed the game around being an esport. I miss when companies were ok with letting their community establishing how the competitive scene would work and then support that rather then acting like they know best.
Anyway good game, but holy fuck it could have been so much better.
>>
>>384521264
>DUDE LIGHTS AND ANTENNAE EVERYWHERE

Go play Star Trek Online if you want that.
>>
>>384537750
That's true.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsVHGcOtY-s

Nothing in SCII comes close, baby.
>>
>>384537184

Try him with Raynor. Medics heal his mechs while mass infantry makes empower me turn him into a god.
>>
>>384515204
Just about any fun strat was nerfed. I found out that making a bunch of those units with jetpacks as terrans and wrecking the enemy's economy was great. Then they nerfed that.

I stopped playing after I found out the game was region locked. Account got taken over by chinks months later kek
>>
>>384538321
Why was that ghost so scared in the end, despite acting all tacticool at the start? I thought they were trained and conditioned and shit
>>
File: Stupid Bitch.jpg (96KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
Stupid Bitch.jpg
96KB, 640x480px
>>384537750
>>384538207
I didn't mind the SC2 soundtrack overall, even though I'll admit I didn't find it quite as atmospheric or catchy as the original. But of all the parts of it that was overall fine.

Remaster pisses me off a ton however, partly because it feels so fucking unnecessary and also just weird given what they've done in the rest. Normally you'd expect that it'd be the graphics that'd get raped, but they've been surprisingly faithful, doing a really solid job of making them higher res and shit but resisting the urge to bling them out or change it to the new style or whatever. I wish they'd had a separate sprite module for each tileset with a bit of extra blending detail, but I doubt I'll even notice when playing. Overall it looks good.

So what the fuck happened with the music? That's where I'd normally expect them to just be lazy leave it alone, or if they found the originals just re-release them as lossless (or 320k or something equivalent). They actually spent time & money fucking that part up while doing such a careful job everywhere else, god damn it.
>>
File: JoeRaynor.png (14KB, 1196x194px) Image search: [Google]
JoeRaynor.png
14KB, 1196x194px
>yfw a GameFAQs shitposter correctly predicted the plot of the game before it was even out
>>
File: 1358913252024.jpg (256KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1358913252024.jpg
256KB, 1280x720px
>>384539403
anon, metzen ain't exactly as good as that silent movie screen writer will shakespoor or whatever his name was
>>
>>384538962
The music is taken straight from HotS.
>>
>>384538812
He's not a ghost, he's just a generic army guy like Lester and Sarge, or the guys from the desert ambush cutscene.
Thread posts: 110
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.