[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is Super Metroid still the game with the best level design?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 6

File: super metroid.jpg (25KB, 250x174px) Image search: [Google]
super metroid.jpg
25KB, 250x174px
Is Super Metroid still the game with the best level design?
>>
Fusion did it better tbqh
>>
>>384496553
Fusion did not naturally teach you what power ups do through its level design, atleast not to the degree Super did, and it does not allow for as much player agency as Super where you can sequence break even on your first playthrough with the game design accounting for that.

I like Fusion, it does some things very, very well, but it is not as good as Super.
>>
>>384495883
Prime has better pevel design. Super had some major bullshit present such as invisible walls and hidden bombable walls that were needed to progress.
>>
That's not Kero Blaster
>>
>>384495883
Are we sucking Super Metroids dick again? Okay!~
>>
>>384497921
What invisible walls did Super have? Also, the game teaches you early on that there are some bombable walls, it isn't so much bullshit as it is you having to be aware that everywhere could be a secret, a feeling that is not present in Prime since you can always turn on the scanner, which mostly shows you in its colour-coded way where there are hidden passages and such.

Not saying that Prime is bad, but Super is better.
>>
>>384498250
Again? We've been doing it since 94, before you were born, because it's an amazing game.
>>
>>384498587
Sorry, I meant walls where you didn't know you could walk through behind them, like in Lower Norfair. At the beginning of the game in Crateria, it took me a decent amount of time to find the bombable wall to the left.
>>
>>384498749
Mmmmmm so good!~ Only Nintendo makes good games!
>>
>>384498836
But that wall clearly stands out, and you go there just after getting the bombs. Plus, there is really nowhere else to go unless you use the bombs, so this is a case of you counting 2 and 2 together.
Once you get to lower norfair you have the x-ray scanner, but even then I am still not quite sure which wall you are talking about.
>>
File: 1500418392919.png (194KB, 271x272px) Image search: [Google]
1500418392919.png
194KB, 271x272px
>>384498076
My man
>>
>>384500516
>thread about good level design
>posts sonic
You're not helping. Everyone please ignore this guy, Kero Blaster really does have great level design.
>>
>>384500871
Dude it's just a reaction image and I'll admit sonic doesn't have the best level design particularly those GBA Advance games (particularly 2 and 3)
>>
File: 1495501385566.gif (57KB, 480x320px) Image search: [Google]
1495501385566.gif
57KB, 480x320px
>>384496860

Fusion was designed by the same team. If you can stomach its linearity, the level design really is solid and somewhat underrated.
>>
>>384502193
I do agree that Fusion has good linear level design, but Super Metroid has level design that is on par WHILE being open ended. I think that is the true achievement of Super, that it is tightly designed and extremely loose at the same time.
>>
>>384502726

At least GBA owners were graced with a proper remake of the first Metroid game. That was probably better than attempting to remake Super, as Super has achieved such godly status that the fanbase would be extremely divisive about anything that was changed or lost in transition.

If Nintendo ever revisits Super, it would have to be a 1:1 physics and level port with enhanced graphics and soundtrack.
>>
>>384503092
Which is why Nintendo should just leave Super as is. There is no need to remake it, as it has no essential flaws that could be smoothed out by a remake. I don't see why it would need improved graphics either, as it has really timeless pixel art.
>>
>>384503469
It's controls could use a LITTLE modernizing. Particularly the space jump timing.
>>
>>384503469
>I don't see why it would need improved graphics

The HUD design is pretty ugly, especially the scanner icon. And it reserves several pixels with black space. The game might look better with a transparent superimposed HUD with Fusion-style icons.
>>
File: metroid fusion 1%.png (122KB, 1000x720px) Image search: [Google]
metroid fusion 1%.png
122KB, 1000x720px
Just did it today, can you do better ?
>>
>>384504884
>Old ass VBA which hasn't been updated in over a decade
>Not even having VBA-M
>Not just using mGBA anyway
Time to update dude http://emulation.gametechwiki.com/index.php/Game_Boy_Advance_emulators
>>
>>384495883
>inb4 "muh sequence breaks"
Fusion did it better

but personally, if I'm going to make a list, I'd say

1- Zelda Majora's Mask
2- Cave Story
3- Shovel Knight
4- Metroid Fusion
5- Symphony of the Night
>>
>>384505159
Who care? As long as I can play the game fine
>>
>>384505194
>Fusion did it better

Did what better exactly? Be more specific.
>>
>>384504417
Okay, I can see the transparent hud argument, but that is not really enough to call for a remake.

>>384503987
I don't buy the argument about space jumping.
>>
>>384495883
Yeah.
Inb4 Fusion
Oops
>>
>>384495883
>cinematic final boss
>good level design
>>
File: Yakuza.gif (94KB, 116x70px) Image search: [Google]
Yakuza.gif
94KB, 116x70px
Why are Fusion boss fight so godly compared to other games of the series? The only one that rival with Fusion is Prime 2
>>
>>384505447
Level design as a whole.

The game just works flawlessly when it comes to that, visual hints, good use of each ability/weapon, pretty well done secrets to encourage exploration, hub world that connects each sector, the ending section (restricted lab) and how to get there, the SA-X chases and how to distract her, even the backtracking feels fun because you re-enter the same area with different approaches to get past damaged rooms.
>>
>>384505979
that fucking boss and nightmare are the hardest in the series as far as I remember

I wish Samus Return could bring back this kind of challenge, MercurySteam did a few good moves with Mirror of Fate when it comes to combat and bosses
>>
maridia sucks ass if I'm going to be honest
>>
>>384506469
pretty shitty and rushed design now you mentioned
>>
>>384496860
>>384502193
>>384502726
super metroid is pain to find where to go, had no problem with the bosses, navigation was gay. Also, a 3 to 10 second frame window for wall jumping? gay as fuck
>>
>>384499253
hes talking about yo momma's walls nigga!
>>
>>384506987
It requires you to pay attention to the environment and memorize stuff. How is that gay?

>wall jumping is too hard
Which makes it rewarding. It is not a necessary skill except for that part where the 3 Stitches show you what to do, so why is that even a point? Being good at it lets you traverse the levels differently, and the level design accounts for that, so a higher skill ceiling actually allows you to do better at the game than just "kill enemies quick and take less damage".

>>384506169
To be fair, the sector connections were really unimportant until end-game, where you just used them as shortcuts while hunting for missile packs, which you didn't really need in the end. Super Metroid has interconnection during the actual playthrough, not just in the late-game item hunt.
>>
>>384507826
whats it like swallowing massive amounts of sperm daily? does your tum-tum ache sometimes?
>>
>>384508021
Why are you here if you don't want to discuss level design?
>>
>>384506407
I just streamed Fusion for my first playthrough and took Yakuza and Nightmare first try even though chat was telling me I'd die.

But I died twice to SA-X and once to that freaking vine Torizo
>>
File: Super-Metroid017.png (282KB, 500x438px) Image search: [Google]
Super-Metroid017.png
282KB, 500x438px
Nope
>>
>>384509259
P-P-P-P-
P-P-P-P-
POWER BOMB
>>
>>384506407
Nightmare is not hard
Stand under him and shoot upwards
Even as he increases the gravity and makes the missiles fall you can still blunt force push them into him by getting close
>>
>>384509259
There is another broken pipe, so you are inclined to try some weapons on the non-broken one.
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.