[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ITT: the most overrated games in their respective franchise

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 95
Thread images: 12

File: 1446664498193.jpg (41KB, 256x361px) Image search: [Google]
1446664498193.jpg
41KB, 256x361px
ITT: the most overrated games in their respective franchise
>>
>>384474090
You first OP, not easily the best game
>>
overrated how? Which of the games is better, since you're insinuating it doesn't deserve all the praise.
>>
>>384474309
kh2fm obviously
>>
>>384474369
oh I get it.
>>
File: missed bait.jpg (22KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
missed bait.jpg
22KB, 400x400px
>>384474090
>>
>>384474309
nah boys, bbs was the best
>>
File: 39949-Mario_Kart_64_(USA)-1.jpg (129KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
39949-Mario_Kart_64_(USA)-1.jpg
129KB, 800x600px
I don't know how people even defend this shitty game. The tracks are empty and shallow, you race as Mario.png and the races last so fucking long its not even funny.
It hard to believe that this came in the same console as DiddyKong Racing
>>
>>384474090
* the only good game in their respective franchise
>>
>>384474608
nah, it was like an improved CoM. the command deck stuff is gay as shit.
>>
EASILY
>>
>>384474610
In 2017 its shit but in the 90s its what you played when you weren't playing OoT
>>
>>384474608
Fuck it's shitty combat and cooldowns
>>
>>384474608
>Floaty ass combos
>Command deck shit
>press square the game
best Kingdom hearts game.
>>
>being a BBSbabby
>>
>That terrible Roxas opening
>Organization autism and all the following bullshit with them
>Flashier gameplay with less depth (actual QTEs regularly occurring)
>Gets the tone and aesthetic of Kingdom Hearts pretty off (Chicken Little, Pirates)
>Wastes Stitch on a cameo instead of saving it for a hawaii world in 3/a spinoff
>Riku's here is the worst moment in the entire franchise
>Forever took the series more in the direction of OC autism instead of a whimsical journey through Disney
>Forever the point where the plot got muddled up by bullshit, literally all stemmed from 2

1, DDD, BBS, Re:Coded, and either Chain of Memories (Organization hadn't gotten completely fucked yet)
>>
File: Sonic_Adventure.png (218KB, 300x297px) Image search: [Google]
Sonic_Adventure.png
218KB, 300x297px
>>384474090
Don't get me wrong it was pretty fun and the soundtrack is goat but I think 3 & knuckles is better.
>>
>>384476696
>Giving a shit about the story
>Tone and Aesthetics off because of summon and world
what a fag
>>
>>384474608
Neither of these games are the best because they suffer from the fatal flaws that all handheld KH games suffer from (empty worlds, less about being RPGs, shorter, etc).
Having played both Dream Drop Distance is easily better.
Flowmotion and Dream Eater combos that you activate>Shotlock and randomly being given a new moveset
DDD has a whole monster raising mechanic on the side
DDD Worlds>BBS Worlds
(DDD has Dream Traverse Town (5 new areas), Tron, Pranksters Paradise, fucking Fantasia, and the final world, with Musketeers and Hunchback being the only mediocre worlds (Musketeers still has a great boss/a few other segments and Hunchback has the cathedral exterior and interior, BBS has Stitch, Neverland, Radiant Garden, and whatever world Maleficenct's castle is on (but only the castle part imo), then it also has the samey disney princess worlds (which is why I can't tell you where her castle is, I can't tell them apart), disneytown, the most egregious inclusion of olympus coliseum ever, and the worst final world (keyblade graveyard)
Dream Eaters (Unique designs and combat)>Unversed (Blue heartless)
Dream Drop Distance's combat is way more fun because both games take the actiony route but DDD commits and make the spells and abilities significantly more over the top than other games.
Riku and Sora actually control significantly different by the end of the game
Arguably the best music in the series
My personal favorite aesthetic in the series but it's at least one of the best ones.
Dropping between Sora and Riku was a way better way of doing multiple character playing through the game. BBS had shit pacing because you needed to play the game straight through 3 times.)
One of the few games almost entirely free of organization autism, behind 1 probably
>>
I don't have autism, I'm an adult, and KH is my favorite series.
>>
>>384477804
>Arguably the best music in the series
There's no argument when this exists

https://youtu.be/IYlPizEkeWM
>>
>>384474240
>You first OP
You're right, OP should have posted KH2FM.
>>
>>384474090
You neant to post the final mox version as the most overrated but I bet you meant that one anyway
>>
>>384479971
Very nice. I was going to post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5pOhEJs08A
and
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yA6CPWR3Hw
>>
>>384474090
Trials & Tribulations. Loved the first two cases, accepted Third Case Syndrome as an excuse for the terrible middle, but the final case was a massive disappointment. Too many psyche-locks made the investigations miserable, and the ultimate takedown of Dahlia is hijacked by Mia and you're left with taking on Godot for the last bit, who you're expected to feel empathy for despite his actions being entirely selfish and irrational, and the final blow is just a retread of 1-4's climax. When I do a series replay lately I just do the first two chapters and skip ahead.
>>
>>384476696
>terrible roxas intro
only a problem when replaying
>organization autism
that started in CoM
>gameplay with less depth
this has to be bait
>aesthetic off
that's the while fucking point, you visit different worlds
>wastes stitch on a cameo
it can still be a world, simba was a summon in kh1 and a world in kh2
also bbs had a world with stitch
>>
>>384482632
>only a problem when replaying
A several hour tutorial in a sequel is a problem any playthrough
>that started in CoM
And got really bad in KH2
>this has to be bait
Literal QTEs
>that's the while fucking point, you visit different worlds
It's too distracted with nobodies and edgy bullshit, the disney takes a heavy back seat in two.
>>
>>
>>384482852
you know you don't have to do commands except a very specific few cases, and often times they're slower than not doing them, right?
>>
>>384482852

>A several hour tutorial in a sequel is a problem any playthrough

Yes just ignore the fact that the tutorial links 2 with CoM and has a story purpose.

>Literal QTEs

That were better than the first games system. I remember as kid (12-13 at the time) trying to beat KH1 at a friends house. It was bullshit. The special boss specific attacks were on a different sub menu from the magic. So while I was trying to attack the boss, he'd go into "use the special attack" mode and I'd miss it because it only lasts a second and a half and is on a different sub menu from the Attack/Magic sub menu. So instead they linked those special attacks to Triangle while also making the timeframe to use them shorter compared to 1. The QTEs were still there in 1. They just weren't "quick".

>It's too distracted with nobodies and edgy bullshit, the disney takes a heavy back seat in two.
>>
>>384483682
>defending QTE's because you're too bad at video games to beat them without a crutch

My sides
>>
>>384483682

Shit. It lopped off some text. Anyways in response to the "edgy bullshit to the front" KH1 was crammed with edgy bullshit. Riku is was and always will be edgy bullshit incarnate. And you can thank Final Fantasy for that.
>>
>>384483682
>Yes just ignore the fact that the tutorial links 2 with CoM and has a story purpose.
Nomura's retarded method of story telling doesn't excuse bad game design
>>
>>384483871

If you're defending KH1, you're still defending QTEs. Those special attacks in 1 were still single button press special cinematic moves with "mash a button to do damage" thrown in.
>>
>>384482852
>literal QTE's
It really isn't. Most reaction commands are completely optional.
Also there's nothing wrong with QTEs
>>
>>384484089
You don't know what a QTE is apparently
>>
>>384484108
>Also there's nothing wrong with QTEs
This is the kingdom Hearts 2 audience
>>
>>384484108
>there's nothing wrong with QTEs

>there's nothing wrong with taking control away from the player
You're literally retarded
>>
>>384474090
I second this.

>cringy writing
>magic is worthless
>focus on big, flashy set pieces over solid gameplay
>handholding and railroading out the ass
>linear world design

There are fewer games that are a better example of "one step forward, two steps back".
>>
>>384474240
>>384474309
>>384474369
>>384474684
>>384482632
>>384483682
>>384483871
>>384484089
Well done for proving OP's point.
>>
>>384484310
It allows you to do shit you can't do with gameplay. As lobg as they aren't very long and 2 common there is nothing wrong with it.
>>
>>384484728
>It allows you to do shit you can't do with gameplay
It takes control away from you, that's not good.
>>
File: adsa.jpg (76KB, 350x263px) Image search: [Google]
adsa.jpg
76KB, 350x263px
This.
>>
>game starts by saying KH2 is overrated
>people proceed to fanboy over the two worst games to play in the series, Birth by Sleep and Dream Drop Distance

Really makes you think, huh?
>>
>>384484856
>having shit taste
Really makes the gears turn
>>
>>384484827
Thanks to Spooney, 8 is more underrated if anything.
>>
>>384484901
Birth by Sleep and Dream Drop Distance both suffer from having garbage boss fights that can break out of your (floaty) combos for no reason. KH1, KH2, CoM, 358/2, and RE:Coded all avoid this.

RE:Coded is my second favorite game to play in the series, by the way.
>>
>>384485187
oh, it's you. Fuck off you've been ruining KH threads since 3 was released
>>
>>384474090
That's not BBS
>>
>>384485234
You know you can always go to /vg/ if you just want a circlejerk right?
>>
>>384477804
>empty worlds, less about being RPGs

But that applies perfectly to KH2. KH1 is the only game that retains a bit of its JRPG routes, and had something resembling level design. It wasn't perfect obviously but it had the right idea. Instead of building on that design they just threw it out in favor of more action.
>>
File: download (1).jpg (6KB, 101x144px) Image search: [Google]
download (1).jpg
6KB, 101x144px
>>384474090
3 is better
>>
>>384484776
they're quick 3-5 second attacks that you get as a reward for playing the game well, be it from blocking at the right time, dealing enough damage, or using specific attacks.

Takes control away from the player my ass, that's like saying using a magic command is taking control away from the player.
>>
>>384485472
Re: Coded managed to capture some of that KH1 feel with some of its worlds.
>>
>>384485551
Is this an image for ants?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQVTpi6Mdek

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x76CZIUmDKM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0fhxvtwtB8
>>
>>384485578
Not just because of the worlds, but the banter between characters too.

Re:Coded is actually one of the better written entries in the series.
>>
>>384484310
I hate you fucking retards. The QTEs in KH2 were fucking great. It was one of the best mechanics. 95% of normal enemies in the game have unique reaction commands that really mix the gameplay up. They can be attacks, dodges, or something specific and Sora looks great doing it because it goes with the action KH2 started. Even bosses, a fuck ton of them have tgeir own unique reaction commands.

>ADERPA HUR MY CONTROLLER WAS TAKEN AWAY
Go fucking kill yourself. You are playing the game all the time and you are constantly engaged. You have to initiate them, and if you triggered a QTE for a boss that has a 5 second real time cutscene and don't enjoy, then go fuck yourself and find something else to play. There isn't a gane out there that has QTEs like KH2. Fucking shit eating faggot.
>>
>>384484512
>magic was worthless

How can you handle being so wrong? Did you play on Beginner or Standard or something?
>>
>>384474608
when will aquafags kill themselves?
>>
>>384486443
Reflect and Cure are the only worthwhile spells.

The others deal such a tiny damage boost that there's no point in using them.
>>
>>384484776
Most of them are optional and are initiated by YOUR choice. If your autism is so bad that you can't handle having controll taken away for five seconds you should consider suicide.
>>
>>384486175
>>384486648
>actually defending QTE's
Wow anon it's like you don't understand good game design nor can you actually make a good defense for them. Just because you're in control for the majority of the time does not justify taking control away for a short amount of time. You're making really bad arguments and it's embarrassing even having to try and discuss it with you because it's clear you're not intelligent enough to actually discuss it without going into autistic screeching.
>>
>>384486640
Reflect is amazing. Cure is awful.
Thunder allows you to snipe an enemy from afar and air combo them or at least approach with zero risk. Fire rips through shadows and is stupid good at building drive. Magnet crowd controls even better than fire for a bigger cost. Blizzard is kind of ass past the beginning of the game but at the very least it rips through Data Axel.

Did you ever play Critical? I can understand not finding the game very difficult on proud or below but on Crit almost every enemy can 2 or 3 shot you and on lv1 you basically can't get hit ever.
>>
File: 1365531021377.gif (2MB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
1365531021377.gif
2MB, 320x240px
>>384486175
>Getting this fucking angry about being called out for your shit tastes
>>
>>384486019
Well written dialogue will always be better than voiced in any medium, that's why CoM has the best writing in the series.
>>
>>384486689
Anon, literally all you're saying is "QTEs are bad" while everyone else points out how KH2FM's reaction commands are pretty well designed. Most QTE's are shit but you're going to have to provide an actual argument for why KH2FM's are so ass if you want to look like anything more than a shitposter.
>>
>>384486689
>you just don't understand!
>you aren't intelligent enough!

>>384487437
>You just have shit taste!

No wonder these dumbasses disliked KH2 HAHAHAHAHA Revenge values are probably beyond their spectrum of thought
>>
>>384474309
I can elaborate.

The game play isn't as good as the first game despite people swearing the first is a clunky mess, at the very least the first game feels like you are in control. 2 auto locks onto everything and most bosses are 60 to 70 percent press triangle to do massive damage. In addition to this the various different forms turn it into mash x to kill everything.

The story is also anime garbage. People shit on the first game's story but in all honesty it is still a Disney story at heart. The good guy has to defeat the darkness and save the princess. The problem is that Sora as a character is an unlikable, cliché anime mess and so is Riku. The second game follows this formula rather than the Disney formula and the result is 200 new characters that all look like anime shit.

Anybody who shits on Ansem is wrong however because Ansem in the first game and Xemnas are both great villains with great writing and voice acting. Billy Zane in particular does some fucking amazing voice work.
>>
>>384488290
This. Kingdom Hearts 1 isn't nearly as much naturo autism as people claim. It's way close to a disney movie.
>>
>>384488290
There is literally no excuse for not having played Final Mix now that it's so readily available on multiple consoles

>>384488486
It's literally shonenshit where you beat up the villain with the power of friendship. KH2 is much closer to a Disney movie in tone, especially the Roxas part
>>
GTAV
>>
>>384488676
>It's literally shonenshit where you beat up the villain with the power of friendship. KH2 is much closer to a Disney movie in tone, especially the Roxas part
Have you even played the first game, what the fuck? You either haven't played the first game or have never seen shonenshit. KH2 is a convoluted mess of anime clichés. KH1 has the simplest story ever, the problem with KH1 is literally Sora and Riku not the story. KH2 adds 30 more shitty anime stereotypes.

Also
>Muh Final Mix
Final Mix doesn't fix as much as you plebs keep claiming. KH2's game play problems run incredibly deep.
>>
>>384488982
Are you claiming you mashed X and triangle to beat bosses in FM+?
>>
>>384488676
The Roxas part is a borderline Seinen psychological thriller. There are parts of Roxas' section that are legit creepy such as the train disappearing into thin air and Namine staring at Roxas from the mansion window.
>>
>>384489194
>Muh super sekrit bosses and bonus difficulty
We're talking about the vanilla games you fucking weeb.
>>
>>384489238
Oh yeah so creepy my man, it was so creepy when they did the "7 secrets of the school" I mean "town" section that totally hasn't been in 200 different annie mays. That part of KH2's 2 hour unskippable tutorial totally spooked me.
>>
>>384489261
At least you admit it. I once saw a shitposter trying to argue he went through Critical mashing X.
>>
>>384489578
My problem with KH2 isn't even that it is button mashing. I don't even fucking hate KH2, I'm arguing as to why I think it is overrated.

You can't deny that the removal of dodge roll and the addition of auto targeting made the game a lot less involved.
>>
>>384489730
>You can't deny that the removal of dodge roll
Seriously, go play the actual non-outdated version of the game. You're only making yourself look stupid here
>>
>>384489468
I was 8 years old and had never seen an anime in my life when I first played it, so cut me some slack.
>>
>>384489980
I think you are deluded if you are actually trying to claim that KH2 final mix has KH1's dodge roll. I'm not even going to engage you any more, you are an actual shit apologist that is cobbling.
>>
>>384490108
FM added Dodge Roll, yes. And you already admitted you haven't played it, you are an actual shit apologist that is damage controlling.
>>
>>384490446
h really, did they remake the whole game to make it relevant too? No they didn't. Next you're going to claim Final Mix bought you a beer and blew you too.

You are remembering it wrong.
>>
>>384488290
KH2 is a great action game because it has fantastic enemy design to challenge the player and because it gives the player a massive amount of options that are both mechanically/functionally unique and relevant to clearing the game's challenges. Every spell, every summon, and most melee attacks are all important, tactically relevant part of Sora's arsenal, and he also has Drive forms which completely change both his melee strings/finishers and his spells' functionality. The end result is that KH2 winds up with a moveset consisting of far more meaningful options than almost any other action game.

Just as an example, compare Sora's defensive options to those found in DMC or Bayonetta. In Bayo, the player has one universal dodge ability plus maybe 1 or 2 more defensive options depending on what accessories they're wearing (namely, parrying with MoMK and manually activating Witch Time with BoT). In DMC3, Dante has a side roll and a jump coated in i-framesp lus style-specific actions such as Trickster's dash, air trick, Just Guard/Just Release, Quicksilver, and can parry a few attacks with his melee.

In KH2FM, Sora has Dodge Roll, Quick Run, Aerial Dodge, Glide, Guard, and Reflect as his dedicated defensive options, enhanced versions of Dodge Roll, Guard, Quick Run, Aerial Dodge, and Glide depending on the form he's in, can parry a huge number of attacks with his own melee attacks and Final's auto-keys, has i-frames on certain moves, can call Stitch who can block attacks, and can use some meter on a a Drive transformation to i-frame through attacks, and all of these options are important/relevant parts of his moveset. Even better, whereas Bayo and DMC divide their options up through Styles and accessories, KH2 makes all of its options available at all times. Combine that with KH2 having substantially more enemy variety, and generally more variety within individual enemy movesets, and it's easy to see how KH2 is considered one of the best action games.
>>
>>384491150
Except there is absolutely no incentive to do anything except spam Reflect for the entire game.

Bayo and DMC actually reward you for playing skilfully with their scoring systems, whereas KH2 allows to exploit cheap methods for the whole game.
>>
>>384474090
Show me an arpg with this good of a combat and boss battles, I'll wait

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOkne5NfPwQ
>>
>>384491480
This
>>
>>384491480
>>384491597
>exactly one minute apart
Kek.
>>
File: kill yourself.png (5KB, 369x121px) Image search: [Google]
kill yourself.png
5KB, 369x121px
>>384491931
Man, you are such an obnoxious faggot when you get BTFO and someone agrees against you.
>>
>>384491585
I like Kh 2 and this video does a fucking garbage job of showcasing the combat. Whats with the low camera angles?
>>
File: kill yourself.png (13KB, 589x114px) Image search: [Google]
kill yourself.png
13KB, 589x114px
>>384492074
>being this triggered that you got caught samefagging
>>
>>384492353
Nobody is samefagging you bitter autist.
>>
>>384492353
nice sidestep, how about you actually have an argument with the guy instead of being a retard and pretending nobody could possibly disagree with you
>>
>>384491585
FFXV
Thread posts: 95
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.