[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why are Western SRPGs so much better than Japanese ones? How

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 5

File: wSRPGs.jpg (1MB, 1894x1874px) Image search: [Google]
wSRPGs.jpg
1MB, 1894x1874px
Why are Western SRPGs so much better than Japanese ones? How do we make Japanese SRPGs relevant again?
>>
Too complex for japanese phone controls, not gonna happen
>>
File: 1500397183296.jpg (203KB, 1200x847px) Image search: [Google]
1500397183296.jpg
203KB, 1200x847px
Replace 1000 old flat lolis with busty babes.
>>
>>384462413
A lot of it has to do with Jap SRPGS copying the Tactics Ogre look over, and over and over again. It's incredibly clunky and only appeals to people who have played that game. Plus, the popularity of shit like Disgaea and it's emphasis on grinding over strategy made all comparable games operate similarly.

It's a shame Fire Emblem has descended so much, because Fire Emblem 4 and 5 are great SRPGS.
>>
>>384462605
>the popularity of shit like Disgaea and it's emphasis on grinding over strategy made all comparable games operate similarly.
This is probably the main culprit. While the West was too busy trying to recapture the tactical depth and brilliance of X-COM: UFO Defense and JA2, Japan was too busy making grinding panty quest simulators to appeal to the Disgaea fans.
>>
>>384462560
Almost none of the games on OP's pic feature sexualized female characters, I doubt this has anything to do with Japanese SRPGs dying out.
>>
>>384463295
Yeah, and almost all of them are shit. OP was asking how to make Japanese SRPGs relevant again. Not how to make them into carbon copies of the western soulless products.
>>
>>384463645
>almost all of them are shit
Then why do they sell and the Japanese ones don't, when the SRPG genre has never been mainstream and have always been a niche genre, dominated by tactics enthusiasts?

If a game is good, it will find its fanbase and will sell a decent amount, but Japanese trash sells nothing.
>>
>>384463906
CoD sells well too. It must be so much better than all the games you've listed.
Not to mention these indie games get sold for 1 cent in bundles. That's where those unreliable steamspy numbers come from. They're owners, not players.
>>
The real reason why Japanese SRPGs are dead is simple and to understand it, one needs to ask himself a question: when was the last time Japan released a SRPG with forced ironman or ironman mode at all? The West has released such hardcore games with forced ironman as Mordheim and Battle Brothers and both of these games did well, which indicates that the SRPG playerbase values challenge.

Another thing to consider is the Banner Saga series - a series focused on writing and character interaction, rather than pure tactical depth and the success of the series indicates that the playerbase also wants well written games with complex characters and plots. When was the last time Japan released ANY game with decent writing?

The hard truth is that Japan cannot into either tactical depth, created via sophisticated systems and good encounter design, or actually good writing, which is the prime reason Japanese SRPGs are dead.

Since it's highly unlikely that Japan will ever get good at these things, it's time to bury Japanese SRPGs once and for all.
>>
File: 1488748711629.jpg (118KB, 1200x654px) Image search: [Google]
1488748711629.jpg
118KB, 1200x654px
>>384464175
>these shitty nipnog games are good, I s-swear!
>it doesn't matter that nobody buys them, they're good because I say so!
>>
>>384464302
Guess I shouldn't have expected much from a smelly dumb goldface poster.
>>
>>384464654
Don't worry, I didn't expect anything from a weebcuck, who tries to present his shit opinion as fact, either.
>>
>>384462413
Those are all pretty shit outside of XCOM and Divinity Original Sin
>>
>>384464216
>When was the last time Japan released ANY game with decent writing?

Considering that Banner Saga has little to no gameplay any japanese VN will probably have way better writing than it.
>>
>>384465813
Those are all games that actually sold a decent amount of copies, which is more than can be said about any recent weeb trash.
>>
File: 14977442669310.jpg (67KB, 540x766px) Image search: [Google]
14977442669310.jpg
67KB, 540x766px
>>384465907
>japanese VN
>better writing
>>
>>384465929
And they are still inferior to japanese SRPG made in the past,next.
>>
>>384466005
Unless you really like feminist novels there are hundreds of japanese VNs that have better writing.
>>
>>384462413
>WRPGs
>relevant

kek
>>
>>384466010
>And they are still inferior to japanese SRPG made in the past
Nice opinion, too bad it's shit and irrelevant. The SRPG playerbase has voted with their wallets and the votes show that nobody wants nipnog trash. XCOM alone outsold multiple "iconic" weebshit franchises such as Disgaea and Valkryia Chronicles, it also outsold FFT and TO combined.
>>
File: Pepe the bullfrog.png (118KB, 500x482px) Image search: [Google]
Pepe the bullfrog.png
118KB, 500x482px
>>384466107
>he says this as the JRPG genre is literally, unironically dead, while PoE2 and DOS2 are to be released this and next year.
>>
>>384466184
>has voted with their wallets

Skyrim is also the best RPG ever according to westcucks? Why do they have such awful taste?
>>
>>384466282
cRPG stopped being good in 1998,no wonder aRPG are all the rage now.
>>
>>384466287
>Skyrim is also the best RPG ever according to westcucks?
You mean according to the entire world, because Skyrim sold amazing even in Japan, kek.
>>
>>384462605
>Disgaea and it's emphasis on grinding over strategy
And yet, it has fundamentally more strategic gameplay than most of the games in the OP.
Team attacks, people throwing, monster weapons, geo panels etc etc. It blows everything on that image out of the water without even trying

In fact, most of the games in the OP are shallow as fuck, and I'm not even sure why Xcom2 aka "percentage is the only gameplay element we bothered with lmao" is doing there when he wants to make a point.

Western srpgs have always been irrelevant mechanics wise. This goes pretty much for all western games really. Most are just shallow copies of Japanese ideas.
When you look at jap games you look at mechanics. DmC, Bayonetta, Tactics Ogre, pretty much every fighting game - the list goes on. Western games can only do three things: cinematic nonsense, immersive nonsense or inde shit relying on one idea only.

Also funny how OP only lists PC titles. The PC market has as good as no jap srpgs(which is why its swarmed by inferior copy cats in the first place). I think only ports of Disgaea and Phantom Brave no? Both 10 year old games.
>>
>>384466287
PCfags tend to idolize the few shitty games they have because they are too poor to own a console or too stupid to emulate,it was always like this.

>>384466643
Japan has bad taste too in these days,the difference is that the devs there still make good games.
>>
>>384462413
oh its this thread again. in which a desperate westacuck who's only ever tasted sloppy wannabe games on his pc pretends to be different people shitting on japanese srpgs

one of my favorite samefag threads on /v/
>>
>>384466753
>And yet, it has fundamentally more strategic gameplay than most of the games in the OP.
No, it doesn't. It has exactly nothing, because it has no challenge. Any "tactical" encounter in Shitgaea can be simply ground through, that's all one needs to know about the game to brand it as generic weebshit trash.

>Western srpgs have always been irrelevant mechanics wise.
You don't get to decide what is relevant and what is not, weebcuck. Your opinion is worth less than trash and is completely irrelevant. The overall SRPG playerbase decides what is relevant and the decision has been made: there is no more place in the genre for weeb trash, nobody wants it, not even the weebcucks themselves, seeing as how even they don't buy their own garbage.
>>
>>384466753
OP is just autistic and makes this thread every few days, if you haven't noticed. This is why he gives such big credit to sales numbers.
>>
>>384466965
That butthurt

Straight out of Reddit kid?
>>
>>384467042
I know your ass hurts, try applying a cold spoon on it.
>>
>>384463295
They would be even better if they featured sexualised female characters though. I prefer the gameplay of western tactics games but in terms of art Japanese ones are usually better.
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.