[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is Rimworld really that fucking good, or are the reviews for

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 91
Thread images: 9

File: rimming.jpg (44KB, 460x215px) Image search: [Google]
rimming.jpg
44KB, 460x215px
Is Rimworld really that fucking good, or are the reviews for this just another meme?
>>
sci-fi dorf fort but simpler.
It's okay.
>>
>>384454343
Just pirate it and try it. You can transfer saves to the steam version if you feel like buying it. That's what I did.
>>
you can get high and fuck your sister
anything else you can mod
i dont see why not
>>
It can get boring or tedious or whatever depending on your attention span or playstyle but its nice to have a game like it that you can always go back to. It has tons of replay value.

I do think it could be better optimized for laptop computers, it's not that graphically intensive.
>>
>>384454343
it's like df but actually fun
>>
File: 1489381718994.jpg (56KB, 539x960px) Image search: [Google]
1489381718994.jpg
56KB, 539x960px
>It's a Heat wave & solar flare episode
Why does /rwg/ have to be fucking dead
>>
Imagine Dwarf Fortress but it actually feels like a videogame.
>>
>>384454343
it's good till the game randomly decides to fuck up your steady progress.
>>
>>384455101
Wait you mean you actually have to play the game to survive?
>>
>>384454343
It's really fun, I played my first colony for about 60 hours. Now I'm just waiting for more updates, but it's definitely worth trying now.
>>
Development is real slow.

Stuff like updating the character sprites so they're not rip offs of Prison Architect should have happened years ago.
>>
>>384454343
Nah it's pretty cool
Full mod support so there's endless content, and the devs get shit done
>>
>>384454343
I like it but I fucking hate how colonists are literally incapable of performing basic tasks because of vague past history.
>>
>>384454343
It's dorf fort for casuals
>>
>>384457367
Dorf Fort is dorf fort for casuals
RW actually tries to be hard, DF is a sim that's easy once you learned the UI and don't try to purposefully gimp yourself
DF is great but the whole casual argument is retarded, the game's easy
>>
Aurora 4x is better
>>
Its a oversimplified Dwarf Fortress but an ok game if you throw in a ton of mods.
>>
>>384456323
They are not going to update it because Prison Architecht has given them the green light to copy them
>>
>>384454968
I resent the implication you're making.

>>384454998
Why is /v/ overrun with faggots? is the neo/v/ meme real?

>>384457601
How is Rimworld harder than DF? you can solve everything in Rimworld as you do in DF by simply locking yourself in.

>>384457623
Finally someone comes in to redeem this thread.
>>
>>384457623
Talking about this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcWln8Ne1RA
Looks like shit to me.
>>
Rimjob
>>
>>384457865
Looks can be deciving. it looks like shit but behind the hood its an amazing game. you just gotta get past the visuals.
>>
>>384457849
>you can solve everything in Rimworld as you do in DF by simply locking yourself in.
Sappers are a thing you know
As are mortars
And the regular game elements, like keeping your guys fed, clothed, happy and healthy, which are absolutely trivial in DF are actually challenging in RW
>>
>>384457601
>DF is easy if you put hours of work into it
>>
>>384457865
>Spreadsheet simulator 2017
>>
>>384454343
This is one of those games that I just couldn't stop playing. It really is that fucking good. Pirate it and try it out if you're worried about wasting money

Also how the fuck is there no rimword general on /vg/?
>>
>>384458051
DF is 'hard' because the UI is pretty archaic and learning your way around it takes a few hours
The actual game elements themselves are easy and quickly mastered, at least to the point of indefinite survival. If you want to set up more complex systems it can get a little harder
RW is the other way around, little barrier of entry but the game elements are hard
>>
>>384458142
There had been one in the past, but allegedly the usual tripfriend erep modding waifus cancer consumed it
>>
>>384454950
Its extremely CPU intensive because the AI is complex, even without battles, there is around 10 independent AI agents constantly checking for what to do next and pathfinding. It is at minimal no less complex than the sims. Temperatures for every room needs to be simulated, grass and wild vegetation spreads naturally, etc etc.
A weak CPU just won't cut it.
>>
>>384458195
I could see that happening. Has there been any recent updates? Hopefully the general revives, I've just decided to redownload the game
>>
>>384458153
I can see what you mean but I disagree
The hardest thing in RM is when random events conspire to fuck you up.
The hardest thing in DF is when a cascade of events, some you control some you don't, fuck you up unless you're new and starve
>>
>>384457704

Fairly sure they promised they'd change even after that.

As far as I was aware, the current bad graphics are just a placeholder.
>>
File: midoriya.jpg (41KB, 393x460px) Image search: [Google]
midoriya.jpg
41KB, 393x460px
I am not sure how I feel about the raids and manhunter packs scaling to your overall wealth.

On one hand, the game is supposed to provide you with adequate challenge that is on a similar level to the amount of tech that you have.
On the other, they include all items in your possession into account. Quality of furniture, amount of food, etc. You might have been lucky and gotten a really good bed at the beginning of the game, and suddenly you get raids you can't really repel.

Then there is the in-game immersion issue.You're saying that pirates who have been attacking me with clubs and shivs suddenly got body armor and sniper rifles?
>>
>>384458048
>like keeping your guys fed, clothed, happy and healthy, which are absolutely trivial in DF are actually challenging in RW

I haven't actually played DF, but the reason I'm never playing vanilla Rimworld again is because that shit takes like two weeks tops to take care of.
>>
>>384454343
Will it ever leave Early Access?
>>
>>384458771
Yes until stuff happens that drain those very resources
A raid happens, one of your guys gets shot, the base gets dirty as hell, morale tanks, productivity tanks, food supplys dwindle, some walls and turrets need fixing, you slowly recuperate but then the next shit happens
>>
>>384458048
I've always found it trivial to survive in RW unless you're actively sabotaging yourself.
Set up 3 farms, 2 with food and 1 with cloth and you're basically set for the entire early game
>>
>>384458048
>And the regular game elements, like keeping your guys fed, clothed, happy and healthy, which are absolutely trivial in DF are actually challenging in RW
aka
>i have never settled my dorfs in anything other than a serene woodland temperate river biome
>>
>>384458887
Earlygame is trivial, midgame is the critical point
When there's not two, but two dozen armed guys trying to blast their way through your itty bitty walls, but before you got a rapepit or turrets or an invincible melee supersoldier or six snipers to defend yourself
>>
>>384458882

If you're like retarded, maybe.

It's far too easy to get massive stockpiles of food and other supplies thaks
>>
>>384459107
Fodd is the easier part, morale, productivity and actually surviving and prospering is more difficult
Aka >>384459061
>>
>>384459061
>but two dozen armed guys trying to blast their way through your itty bitty walls
>but before you got a rapepit or turrets

that doesn't actually happen unless you've been making statues nonstop in order to make your wealth skyrocket
>>
>>384458887
Are you kidding me? Have you played on extreme in A17?
What about medicine? Every combat will get someone wounded, and medicine is hard to get, herbals are quite ineffective now, so you'll have to trade for it directly or buy neuroamine to make real medicine.
What about fallouts that keep you indoor for seasons at a time, or sudden coldwaves that destroy all your crops.

Granted, none of the above are that threatening in the best climate zones, if you settle on a temperate forest with year long growing times, of course it will be easy, and that's the intention of the game creator. But try pulling this off on a ice cap or sea ice biome, and that will require extremely careful food and fuel management.
>>
>>384459196
In my experience it does, as early as rough

Of course we are talking about cassandra classic mode here, right? phoebe is chillax mode and randy random is, well, random
>>
File: rimworld ttime.png (67KB, 306x175px) Image search: [Google]
rimworld ttime.png
67KB, 306x175px
>>384459287
>Game is only hard if you get hit by a random encounter or you gimp yourself

Don't get me wrong I love rimworld but I have always felt that the only real difficulty in the game was the random events which you can basically do nothing against.
A coldwave/radiation hit you within the first week? goodbye
It's a really nice and comfu game but holy shit do I despise the RNG elements of it and the fact that many resources are limited making my big ass colonies always run out
>>
>>384459196
Turret setups no longer work that well, enemies will tunnel or break down walls instead of walking down corridors of death.

Also, high wealth means more than the typical raids, what about mechanoid air drops in the middle of your base, or infestations right out of your pawn's bedrooms.
>>
>>384459495
>A coldwave/radiation hit you within the first week? goodbye

That's wrong though
People do play on extreme sea ice, and a lot more on ice caps, aka permanent maximum -50C temperatures (with zero resources on sea ice).
It is akin to permanent fallout+cold waves, and people still survive, it just takes extreme planning down to killing the initial pet for food.
>>
To clarify once again
When we're talking about difficulty we're all considering cassandra classic as the gamemode, right?
>>
>>384459195
>morale, productivity and actually surviving and prospering is more difficult

just have a rec room and a dining room in addition to big bedrooms and you won't have morale issues. Productivity just requires constant micromanagement because pawns are dumb and will go off and dig some shit a mile away but fuck off without trying to haul anything.

>>384459301
I played on cassandra and the non-tribal raids were generally quite small until I almost completed the ship. Either you did something wrong or are lying on the internet to defend a bad game.
>>
>>384459909
>I played on cassandra and the non-tribal raids were generally quite small until I almost completed the ship.
When was that?
I played cass rough only a few short weeks ago and I got raperaids before the first year had passed, witthout spamming wealth
>>
>>384454343
Just play Dwarf Fortress you pussy
>>
>>384459514
Killboxes still work fine if you know how to build them. 3-tile walls avoid raiders from shooting them down, and mortars are used to target the diggers first, so without diggers and not being able to break walls, raiders walk into killboxes.
>>
File: 1484141873896.png (138KB, 194x161px) Image search: [Google]
1484141873896.png
138KB, 194x161px
It's good, but DF is better if you bother to learn how to handle the UI.
>>
>>384459990
>When was that?

like a13 or 14

I only played modded in 16 but the raids still weren't that big even with the increased wealth thanks to all the new crap
>>
>>384460146
The game has amped up severely in the last few updates, I used to relax with cass on highest, now rough is challenging me
Better AI that avoids defenses more, much later turrets, raids are apparently bigger considering your tales, morale stuff has changed, and so on
>>
File: 1496715102530.jpg (35KB, 481x593px) Image search: [Google]
1496715102530.jpg
35KB, 481x593px
>Wanderer joins
>Chemical interest, pyro, depressive
>Spends 90% of the time bingeing on food, drugs, or setting batteries on fire
>Cant get raid of him without mood penalities
10/10 game design
>>
>>384460321
just like real life
>>
>>384458051
It's easy once you learn how farming works. That takes very little time.
>>
Shit game with shit dev. A poor man's DF, which is why many faggots love it, since they were too retarded to play DF.

Last time I tried it
>can't build containers
>everything is on the ground
>dev: low priority use mods
>folks need light but you cant build windows
>gotta resort to artificial light
>dev: wouldn't change anything use mods
>drop pod falls from the sky
>its the husband of one of my settlerinas
>he has the ambition to sleep with her
>rescue him and nurse him back to health
>once he's back to health he moves away
>ask dev about it
>dev: you gotta capture and interrogate people if you want to keep them. rescued people leave with a small percentage of staying
>but devman, thats stupid. I literally rescued my husband, why would he move away? Why would anyone on a hostile planet? pls fix
>dev: No I wont change it, because it wouldn't make a big difference gameplay wise
GG faggot. I'm not gonna play a game in which I have to hold friends and family hostage so they don't move away, just because the dev can't be bothered to put some effort in
>>
>>384459614
it is possible to do something about it,sure, but holy fuck it is tedious for no apparent reason.

Month long vulanic eruptions.
Your wires exploding randomly
all this shit makes the game a chore to me, the RNG elements are just too fucking RMG
>>
File: 1499008562158.png (701KB, 550x734px) Image search: [Google]
1499008562158.png
701KB, 550x734px
Give me tips on how to format a base and noob design traps to avoid.
>>
>>384460408
The difficulty of DF is mostly relevant to the chosen biomes. Getting food and drink has never ever been a problem.
>>
>>384460605
Maybe you should use mods
>>
>>384460749
Your embark location is a self-imposed challenge. As the other guy was saying, self-sabotage is the only way to make DF challenging. I love it, but it isn't nearly as difficult as people seem to think.
>>
Do you like the concept of dorf fort but are too dumb to play it?
Then Rimworld is your game.
Not knocking it by any means but it's baby dorf fort.
>>
>>384461073
14 year old me managed to learn DF by following a shitty text tutorial for a short afternoon, 9 years ago
Why is it constantly touted as this supremely difficult game
>>
>>384461168
memes
>>
>>384461168
because to first master it you need to get enough CPU to have a 200dwarf fort with atleast 35fps

when?
>>
>>384460605

Even as somebody who really likes Rimworld, all of these are pretty good points, and really stupid that it hasn't been addressed.
>>
If I love Dwarf Fortress, is there any reason I wouldn't like Rimworld? Just because two games are similar, doesn't mean you have to pick one.
>>
>>384461509
>Just because two games are similar, doesn't mean you have to pick one.
This is /v/
We make a competition out of posting styles
>>
>>384461509
not really, biggest difference is lack of Z-levels and RNG
>>
>>384461509
RW is more of a video game while DF is more of a mountainhome simulator
It's quite unlikely that you like one but not the other in some fashion
>>
>>384460321
Send him off on a very long journey towards death. You will get -5 mood at most.
>>
Dwarf Fortress is better of Rimworld after you learned how it just works.
>>
>Check the Rimworld reddit from time to time to see if there's any updates
>LOL HUMAN LEATHER COWBOY HAT
>LOL PEG LEGS
>LOL LOOK MOM IM EVIL XD
why is this website so fucking bad
>>
>>384458712
you could pick a different story teller you mong.
Like Mr Random, he won't give a shit about your wealth he just throw shit at you for giggle.
>>
>>384461991
>going to reddit
The answer is in your post, also extreme amounts of fedora tipping and moralfaggotry followed with shitty puns x1000 for that epic karma.
>>
>>384461509
I played DF years ago and loved it. RW is a nice substitute with it's own flavor and challenges. The lack of Z levels is very limiting and the game is improved a lot by QoL mods (not a point in the games favor imo). That and the performance already seems to be slowing down and I've only got 9 colonists at this point. Still worth it for me.
>>
File: singing in the rain.png (3MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
singing in the rain.png
3MB, 1920x1080px
>>384454343
Play a few colonies, then get MODS

Then enjoy random meteorite "razor rains".

But also a selection of like 300 firearms with multiple ammo types, and even 150mm howitzer turrets.
>>
>>384462312
I played on different difficulties and storyteller AIs. I'm just not a fan of the challenge being tied to anything player-related.
Faction powers should evolve independently, otherwise it feels cheap, like the game is cheating.
>>
>>384454640
pretty much this. it's also harder than non-Terrifying biome Dwarf Fort too, in all honestly. Since Dorf Fort lost tantrum spirals it's just not been the same. You can treat your dwarves like crap and nothing happens anymore.
>>
>>384458268
>talking out your ass
i'm playing the game on a dual core PC that was considered midrange 8 years ago and there are no slowdowns in rimworld
>>
>>384454983
>"Futa mod when?"
>"I'm gathering people for a Futa mod"
>"How should we raid /dfg/ today lads?"
>Actual posts about the game get ignored
>Circlejerking about who's mods are better
>No-one posts pictures of colonies or greentext stories
Gee I wonder why.
>>
>>384458048
This. Also badly treated colonists start fights and set fire to things. Badly treated dwarfs just get a work speed, work quality and combat penalty now.
>>
>>384454343
It's pretty decent. I don't like how the game is essentially balanced around exploiting the ai with killboxes, but aside from that it's fun, more so with mods.
>>
>>384454983
>Play tribals, decide to actually attempt to build a medieval kingdom.
>Heat wave shows up on the third day or so.
>Discover the joy of passive coolers.

Sure, my crops withered and we wound up having to eat our wargs, but it actually wasn't so terrible.
>>
>>384458268
>>384464730
Yup, that's bullshit. Running on a seven year old i3 dell laptop without issues.
>>
>>384465940
And then you realized that you have a huge research penalty so everything takes forever to research, and got raped by ten-man raid squad with assault rifles.
>>
File: being_lab_is_hard.png (188KB, 726x643px) Image search: [Google]
being_lab_is_hard.png
188KB, 726x643px
>>384454343
Got hundreds of hours logged into it, the details and workshop are what makes it so nice to play on the side (since you can pause it whenever and decide your game speed).

If you're new to the game, choose to go for the simple route and learn the basics, and how everything works. The biggest fun in the game is the hardcore mode where choices actually matter (and so do your commands).

The more you know the game, the more you are interested in the smaller things that lead to "best" outcomes.

For example, a tribe raids you and you capture a downed pawn of them. You throw him into your prison and recruit him after a week.
Few years go by (a year is 4 seasons, which is each 15 days long) and you get raided by a tribe again. As it turns out (you can basically "analyse" any NPC on the map for its stats and relationships) one of the tribesmen is the son of the captured raider from before.

Your best bet is to not shoot this fucker, because if that one dies, not only does your pawn get a looong mood malus, but he will also hate the person who shot his son.
So you try to best the raid without killing the son.

That's the first of many things that comes into my mind where I have to play around something.
Thread posts: 91
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.