[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

what do you guys think of shenmue?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 7

File: question for nozomi.jpg (48KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
question for nozomi.jpg
48KB, 640x480px
what do you guys think of shenmue?
>>
File: cool-guy-doing-ok-sign-3255493.jpg (33KB, 400x286px) Image search: [Google]
cool-guy-doing-ok-sign-3255493.jpg
33KB, 400x286px
>when you're a multi billion dollar corporation and you get fans to crowd fund a a game for you
>>
Ahead of its time in a few aspects. Its dated but still a cozy game

>https://youtu.be/3IOiyNYWqis
>>
Yakuza is better
>>
>>384445131
Boring, drawn-out, not remotely mechanically focused.

Some nice environments and the texture work still holds up but come on, this isn't a franchise worth nostalgia fagging over.
>>
YEARS AGO I WAS CHINESE
>>
The first Shenmue is a masterpiece. 2's alright.

I prefer the first game because of how grounded it is. You're in a small town, the furthest you go from home is working at the docks for a couple of days. In the weeks you spend around that neighborhood you learn your small town. You create habits. I never had a moment in 2 where I'd head out, stop by the shop to mess with capsule toys, get a grape soda, pet the neighborhood cat, and then head into town to ask about sailors while playing Space Harrier when I needed to pass the time waiting for Heartbeats to open.

I don't think I've really described why I love the first game but hopefully you get what I'm trying to say to some degree at least. It feels more cozy, more homey. It's one of those games where you feel like you're actually living a second life in the game instead of just hanging out in a neat game world.
>>
>>384445502

I see, thank you
>>
>>384445598
yeah i was watching oneys plays and really liked the premise, the only thing i dont like is quick time events although given the time i guess i can forgive it
>>
>>384445131
Hazuki desu ga..
>>
yakuza is 100 times better.
>>
>>384445993
not really, it doesnt have an investigative vibe, in shenmue you feel live a detective and in yakuza you are just a thug with a heart of gold
>>
>>384445131

Amazing for the time.

Barely anyone actually wants it now despite how much they say they do without realizing nostalgia has blinded them. They've forgotten how clunky it was and QTE's are stupid now. As well as the fucking amazing graphics aren't something that happens anymore.
>>
File: shenmue04.jpg (33KB, 673x472px) Image search: [Google]
shenmue04.jpg
33KB, 673x472px
Was he the best character?
>>
WHERE IS THE HD PORT? FUCK YOU SEGA
>>
>>384445993
Aside the fact that you can explore japanese cities in both, they're pretty different
>>
Shenmue 3 when?
>>
whats up with sega not porting perfectly fine games to the psn or xbox store? shenmue, jsrf, super monkey ball
>>
>>384446429

You should assume it's coming but not until closer to S3's release so it can capitalize off of it.
>>
>>384446360
>he
>>
>>384445228

More like they knew barely anyone actually wanted it and wanted to guage interest, or at least have fans pay for part of it. They wanted people to put their money where their mouth was.
>>
>>384445598
Th first game is awesome but just the scale of the second is astonishing. I know it is preferences, my friend prefers the first as well because it is so comfy but the second blows it out of the water in every regard IMHO.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5016DVbtKz8
>>
>>384445131
Love it. It did a lot of things right that later games screwed up on. I hope to eventually see the kitty I saved from part 1.
>>
>>384446970
uh huh
>>
File: intensifying.gif (230KB, 512x251px) Image search: [Google]
intensifying.gif
230KB, 512x251px
>couldn't get the second game on dreamcast
>get a classic xbox
>the game is on one dvd
>Hong Kong is unbelievably big
>spend dozens of hours exploring it
>eventually reach the end of the story and you have to say goodbye and move on
>"holy shit this was the best game ever" and wait for the credits to roll
>you arrive at Kowloon
>another dozens of hours of exploration and fun
>finally reach the top of the yellow head building
>everybody cheers and you beat Don Niu
>"holy shit this was the best game ever" and wait for the credits to roll
>arrive in the village
>MY FACE
I know Shenmue 3 won't top this for obvious reasons and I'm sad
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0Izd2f6k2I
>>
>>384447442

>he bought an xbox
>instead of importing shenmue 2 on dreamcast

god this is why i fucking hate /v/
>>
File: Tomdance.gif (4MB, 332x284px) Image search: [Google]
Tomdance.gif
4MB, 332x284px
>>384445131
It's great.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8Z3prekYWA
>>
>>384447442
Sounds like good times, anon.

>>384447656
The question is, anon, do you know how to make your American Shenmue 1 save compatible with a European Shenmue 2 disk? Without looking it up!
>>
>>384447656
>many favorite DC titles continue on xbox
>even shenmue 2 is higher quality
The DC was obviously dead by then why do you hate people for no reason or are you a Sonyfriend?
>>
>>384447656
especially when the dreamcast is the better version
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KvaL80tyyM
>>
what bios/flashes do i get for dreamcast emulator?
>>
>>384445131
Shenmue, Deadly Premonition, D4 and Way of the Samurai are the only Japanese games I can enjoy. Too bad I'll never learn Japanese so I could play Mizzurna Falls.
>>
>>384448120
The one decent emulator hasn't been updated in 15 years, anon, just grab them all and pray.
>>
>>384445131
What's the easiest way to play this game today?
>>
>>384445598

agreed in pretty much all regard.

2 is a great game but 1 is near perfection
>>
>>384448120
Go to the "emulation general wiki" or google it. The /vg/ guys keep pretty good records of what's recommended and where to get what you need.
>>
>>384448032

le boogeyman

>>384447802
what was there to import other than fighting moves you already trained, which are largely irrelevant because of how piss easy the combat was

>>384448041
exactly.
>>
Good game.
>>
>>384448541
>what was there to import
Come on. You seriously getting on someone for not importing the game in 2001, but you don't even value all your gashapon shit? Nothing completed a day of forklift driving like buying a few capsule toys and chugging a soda.
>>
>>384448460
thanks i grabbed nulldc with the bios so thats not a problem anymore, but i dont understand why shenmue is broken up into discs on winrar
>>
File: dreamcastadonline.jpg (266KB, 2355x1567px) Image search: [Google]
dreamcastadonline.jpg
266KB, 2355x1567px
best game ever on the best console ever
>>
>>384448807
Use Demul, nulldc just doesn't work right.
>>
>>384446594
They're happier putting them on mobile where the controls are horrible.
>>
>>384445131
It aged pretty well and it's still unique. Sure, the Yakuza franchise is more or less Shenmue, but Shenmue was way more detailed and every line was voice acted (unlike Yakuza who just has text boxes 80% of the game). Apparently I don't have a Dreamcast anymore, I would be happy if Sega brought Shenmue on the PSN.
>>
>>384447656
The Xbox version is the superior version with way better framerate and more details and better sound, it's like someone criticize someone that he have the PS4 version of GTA V instead of the PS3 one.
>>
File: laughing skeliton man.gif (2MB, 360x270px) Image search: [Google]
laughing skeliton man.gif
2MB, 360x270px
>>384448857
>"I'm nude."
>>
>>384448041
>posting a meme video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HNOSQqoUcg

Here is a real test son, they even use a VGA cable for the DC and it is still noticeably worse in general. The bloom, you either like it or not on xbox, it is much better at night for sure.
>>
Would you like to play Lucky Hit
>>
>>384448453
If not using PC emulators then then any Xbox 360 with internal HDD is backwards compatible with the Xbox Classic version. However the BC emulator has problems notably audio glitches (background music cuts off and doesn't get back until you go through a loading screen) and slowdowns at crowded areas (mostly at the same areas the original DC version had sub 20 fps as well).

The other noticable difference are the missing xbox classic "exclusive" features, screen filters doesn't work, I think snapshot works to some extent but you can't save the pictures (the ingame picture collection however realizes you took a photo of an important person and unlock related extras) and the loved/hated bloom effect is completly missing.
Thread posts: 51
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.