[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Games with ACTUAL magic systems

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 8

File: hqdefault.jpg (20KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
20KB, 480x360px
I was reading a lot of literature, and it frequently comes up that being a spellcaster is supposed to be some arduous task of figuring out knowledge. This would be totally fun to do and figure out if any game actually fucking let you do it. Most magicks in games are just a level up mechanic, with the implied knowledge that you're "learning" said reality bending hax.

So tell me /v/, is there any game that actually captures the feeling of working for your magic? Where the magic has actual limitations and is based on your knowledge of the actual thing itself as opposed to some random leveling up of crap?
>>
File: IMG_1835.png (214KB, 1024x1113px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1835.png
214KB, 1024x1113px
Bump because I have faith in actual depth
>>
No.
>>
academagia maybe
>>
>academagia maybe
This looks cool! Thanks anon
>>
desu as ridiculous as it sounds, the Thaumcraft mod for minecraft has gotten as close to the feeling of learning and working towards a mastery of magic than any other game I've seen
>>
>you will never be a comfy wizard living in an enchanted library
Why does it hurt so much?
>>
>>384440141
Actually a good question OP bump for interest
>>
>>384443101
You could be a real life wizard living in a comfy neetcave.
>>
It's not really LEARNING magic, but the system of this game is kinda trial of error to see which things you can mix and match for the kind of projectile you want.
>>
File: 70959_front.jpg (34KB, 499x448px) Image search: [Google]
70959_front.jpg
34KB, 499x448px
>>384440141
It wasn't a great game, just okay, but Lost Magic kinda did that. It was a DS real time strategy rpg. Your main character casts spells when you draw on the bottom screen, and to make them effective you have to draw them well. You got new runes from master wizards as you went on your journey, you unlock the ability to combine two and eventually three runes for different effects. It was a pretty neat system.
Funny enough it was Ubisoft of all companies that published it in the west
>>
>>384443438
Dude it was a great game I don't care what people said. For an early launch DS game, it used the touch screen flawlessly and the magic system was just pure fun.
>>
Learning the fireball game in a fighting game.
>>
>>384440141
Arx Fatalis
Fighting games
>>
File: arx.webm (3MB, 720x400px) Image search: [Google]
arx.webm
3MB, 720x400px
>>384440141
you have to draw markings to cast spells, you can combine markings to create combined spells, you have to memorize this shit, close enough I guess.
>>
>>384444232
post the chicken one
>>
Also there's two worlds 2 which is a pretty janky game but it has a really cool magic system.
>>
>>384444313
Yeah but its really not worth playing now its just so bad. Magic was fun, but games not worth it now. I really cant say what game has good magic in it. Not alot of them.
>>
>>384443019
Actually now that you mention it, Minecraft actually has three great mods that all capture the feel surpringly well.
>Thaumcraft: Awesome wands with crazy spells, golem worker slaves, and traveling between dimensions, while doing shittons of research to discover new this.
>Ars Magika: Combine different things to make custom spells, but you must find ingredients and perform a ritual to craft them
>Witchery: Complete complicated rituals to get unique familiars and bonuses.

Thaumcraft is by far the most expansive and engaging. Ars Magika is good for if you find the tremendous amount of research in Thaumcraft to be a bit too much. Witchery is okay but works better as a side-mod than as the main focus.
>>
>>384443745
>>384444029
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXP1JGtVmaw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnMOia7qetc
Half of these are just plain silly, half are so difficult and/or prediction based to pull off that they'll almost never be done in a real match. Some are relatively reasonable and just look cool.
>>
>thaumcraft
This mod is super fucking cool and the only thing I wish was that it had even more flavor text. Magic actually feels cool and has consequences for fucking the eldritch.
I never got into ars magica but it seems interesting as well!
>>
>>384444692
Blood Magic is also a great choice. I honestly like the magic mods more than the technology ones
>>
>>384445360
Except the computer is fucking vital and you need to power it. Especially with magic mods with flood the game with new items.
>>
>>384443274
Isn't that more like alchemy Anon?

Very fun game tho, also best ship right there.
>>
As I think about it, D&D potentially could have some cool learning of magic. Maybe some nerd posted their shit online, otherwise I might DM something to the extent of "learn the triggers to your prepared spells or cry"
>>
>>384445723
As a DM I stole Nasuverse magic for my setting. It's fairly unique, you should look it up if you don't know about it already.
>>
>>384440141
Treasure of the Rudras

All spells are cast by chanting mantras, the effect that the mantra has is based on an esoteric set of rules associated with the syllables you write when creating a new mantra.
Any string of characters will result in a spell, but that spell might totally suck if you don't know the rules. Cost, strength of effect, type of effect, AoE, are all decided by what you write.
The game also allows many normal words as mantras that result in effects that make sense for what the word is, however these proper English word mantras are not as powerful as ones that you invent yourself by figuring out the syllable system, so mastery results in FAR stronger spells
>>
File: download.jpg (8KB, 284x177px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
8KB, 284x177px
>>384446104
I've seen this come up in a couple of discussions and it sounds awesome. Have a Patchy, anon.
>>
>>384446104
Reminds me of Destrega, sounds way more complicated though.
>>
>>384440141
grimgrimoire.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (123KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
123KB, 1920x1080px
>>384446309
This person gets it
>>
File: 1474432784518.jpg (96KB, 392x417px) Image search: [Google]
1474432784518.jpg
96KB, 392x417px
>>384440141
Don't know of any but I'm really looking forward to the Dorf Fort magic update.
http://www.pcgamer.com/dwarf-fortress-creator-tarn-adams-talks-about-simulating-the-most-complex-magic-system-ever/
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.