[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

RTS Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: 20170718162611_1.jpg (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
20170718162611_1.jpg
1MB, 1920x1080px
Can we have an rts thread? Never played one before starting up AoEII two days ago. Now I'm hooked. Any suggestions for someone new to the genre? I've watched some of zeroempire's videos, and I'm practicing against AI, but I'm still getting dunked on in moderate games.
>>
>>384401752
I also wanted some recommended games. I think Rise of Empires looks legit.
>>
i cry daily at the death of Command and Conquer
>>
>>384401752
Always keep building villagers.
Use hot-keys as much as possible (so, say put your Town Center on group 1 for easy access, whenever you need to build a villager, just press C).
You should be building stuff in such a way that it creates a wall, usually protecting mainly your villagers.
Unspent resources are always a bad thing. If you float resources, build more production buildings, or more research buildings, just whatever allows you to spend them efficiently (queueing up stuff is bad).
One of the most essential skills is to have a feel for when you're running our of pop and have a villager create a new house before that happens.
When dealing with wood, keep building the stockpile right next to the woodline so your workers don't have to go as far.
>>
>>384403774

Can I make military hotkeys? Fighting is still awkward for me.
>>
>>384404232
>Can I make military hotkeys?

As in change them, or just control groups with various units in them?

The former is possible for just about any RTS game. If the game itself doesn't do it, there's usually tools to do it for you.

If you mean for groups of units. Of course! It's practically essential. Keep in mind double clicking the number you have for them sets the camera above them so you can quickly jump in and out of fights like this.
>>
>>384405627

Ah shit! So what are the best campaigns for practice? Just to have an escape from random ai games.

>>384402382

Is the sp worthwhile?
>>
>>384406041
>So what are the best campaigns for practice?
Sadly, you'd have to ask someone else. I was never big on AoE campaigns before AoM.
The demo one was pretty decent with pretty laid back scenarios to get through (I belive it's the tutorial one in the full game, just don't bother with early chapters).
Keep in mind AI and campaign are not all that great beyond basic practice of controls.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.